What's new

Soul Eater

Dusty

Totaly not actualy a Moderator
Reputation score
Because Roleplay is fun shit.

Just a random idea. Not sure if I'm actually going to execute it.

The story takes place in the fictional land known as Shambl (pronouced Sha-Am-Beyl). The plot mostly centers around immortals known as [Soul Eaters]. They are basically demons who impersonate as humans in order to capture souls from various living organisms by killing them. These souls act as currency and are used to buy contracts from [Ghouls]. These contracts provide Soul Eaters extensions that add up to their overall lifetime. Basically the more souls they get, the longer they can live. Without souls, they would eventually perish so it is essential for them to kill on a daily basis.

(In a way, It's equivalent to paying bills. Sorta.. Never mind.)

After the existence of Soul Eaters has been acknowledged by humans, it became a concerning issue for them to deal with their relentless assaults on mankind. As a method of defense, [Hunters] equip themselves with weapons of silver that specializes in killing Soul Eaters effectively, or at the very least rendering them powerless enough to be tamed. Despite various knowledge of these beings, the true origin of Soul Eaters has remain a mystery.

Anyways, that's all I have for the setting.. don't have much for the plot. It'll be in a western-ish setting, with pirates and stuff. It's of the fantasy genre, so stuff like swords and magic is existent. The main characters have to be Hunters or innocent humans with wacky powers. I don't really feel like giving things like Soul Eaters protagonistic roles..

Btw, Originally I was going to make a Castlevania roleplay, because Castlevania is the shit.. But then I read Cold Blood and was like DAMN. (By the way, I have interest in that!)

Now, I'll be honest. I dunno what I'm doing. I can't find an Official Rules Thread for the RP section here so it's likely I'm going to make mistakes.. alot. I fail at making game mechanics and I usually just treat roleplaying as simply writing a fun story with other people rather then turning it into some sort of weird text game. I generally dislike putting in RPG mechanics in my roleplay stories like giving characters stats and enemies health because of how complicated it can get. I'm aware that these sort of things usually prevent people from making mary-sues and such.. but as I mentioned before, I am a lazy motherfucker.

cross_grave

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Soul Eater

Sounds like fun.

As for mechanics in RP's - generally, I believe that using storytelling instead of dice is much more entertaining. So, dice can go to Hell for all I care.

OP
D

Dusty

Reputation score

Hopefully you're not the only one who believes that.

Acutally, considering the kind of forum I'm in I might add in H content for the hell of it. Not a big writer of Erotic fiction and such - I lol too hard at my own stuff to concentrate on the actual storyline. I mean, honestly if I have to use phrases like "LOVE STICK"..

But I have always put in perverted jokes in my previous stories and explored around lesbian/gay themes occasionally. I also have a big fetish on making some of my characters traps.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I would apply (Since I tend to do it for almost every game that gets set up without actually looking at them), but I'm trying to be a bit more cautious now. I have found that, generally, any game that has the player wielding at least a lesser form of gm powers gets me lost. Essentially, the only games I can operate smoothly in are ones where that require GM feedback for every post a player makes. (Essentially, I have problems if the player has any amount of control over NPCs, whether they be merchants or enemies.)

fanta23

Lurker
Reputation score

I would apply (Since I tend to do it for almost every game that gets set up without actually looking at them), but I'm trying to be a bit more cautious now. I have found that, generally, any game that has the player wielding at least a lesser form of gm powers gets me lost. Essentially, the only games I can operate smoothly in are ones where that require GM feedback for every post a player makes. (Essentially, I have problems if the player has any amount of control over NPCs, whether they be merchants or enemies.)
what your saying is your the guy in the DnD group who got invited to play recently. god i miss my DnD pals

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Actually, it's more a matter of, I'm not entirely sure what extent the gm allows for controlling NPCs, so I'd rather not have to do it. Quite frankly, I find it a bit absurd when I watch games where a character's entire post is: I attack creature x and it dies while I make witty banter. Sure, the post will be much more elaborate, but it seems that people are far more accurate than they should be with players easily striking past their enemies defenses and only rarely letting themselves get hit (And it's never really that severe of a wound either). Also, players don't seem to hesitate to make their character carry out actions that would leave their character badly injured or dead, and then have the character walk away without a scratch.

Frankly, the few times I get involved in combat in a free form game that has no guidance, I see practically all the players performing stunts that strike me as things they shouldn't really get away with.

Probably, the best example of a player going over the top that I can pull out quickly is this: Beseiged post.

• You can sprain or twist an ankle by simple stepping on it wrong due to a loose rock, jumping down a few tens of feet will break a limb. Hell, it takes less than 10 lbs of force to break a kneecap.
  • The claymore just apparently got stabed through bone. While possible, this still leaves the problem that it is now stuck. While you can stab a person and withdrawn the weapon from flesh, but bone is a different story. Not to mention that the Orc fell down at an angle (Since it can't really pancake itself) and would have ripped the claymore from the character's hands.
  • You don't fall as far as the character did, land on unstable ground (the orc) and stay vertical. The character should be prone and have the breath knocked out of him even if we ignore the fact that the fall should have injured him.
  • No matter your skill, if you are heavily outnumbered against opponents that are physically stronger than you as well as more durable, and you can't run, you will die. Sure, an master might take down several, but you will get tired.

That is why I have problems in these games. I am uncomfortable having my character perform things that should result in character death and have the character walk away unscratched.

OP
D

Dusty

Reputation score

I believe that is known as a mary-sue. Believe me, I have encountered many of these engimatic creatures of malicious darkness and I have yet to figure out a way to rid them once and for all.

However, if a certain character has been written as something of god-like qualities or something, it is pretty essential to have them do outrageous things that are far beyond human capabilities in order to properly follow their given character. I mean, it would look very lame if a badass warrior ended up losing a fight to a little sissy girl. It would just make the entire scene look awkward and feel very surreal. Unless the badass warrior lost on purpose.. that's something they would do to if they were fighting a girl.

But there's a BIG difference between mary-sues and super humans or even immortal characters. Mary-sues just ruin the entire story or the purpose of a given event by overcoming every obstacle and threat they encounter with ease. There's nothing wrong when a character is capable of pulling off incredibly surreal stunts, so as long as it doesn't totally interfere with the plot or make the storyline look like a mess.

I personally think it's a lack of consistency that leads to such issues.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

The thing is, from my angle, almost every character ends up looking like a mary sue once combat starts.

If you get into melee combat with more than 1 enemy at a time, especially 3+, but a small handful a few at a time will work as well, your character should get injured. After two to three opponents, your character should have at least low levels of fatigue and begin making mistakes. Also, even if you are the grand poobah of weapon skills, a thrown rock can stick kill you if it hits you in the right place.

I don't know which roll you intend for characters to have in this game, but if they are supposed to be humans, than they should never walk away from a fight with even a single soul eater without having taken real injuries. The only way to avoid this is if the characters use traps or the terrain to effectively nullify the soul eater.

OP
D

Dusty

Reputation score

I'm not sure how realistic we're trying to be here in fiction writing, especially in one that takes place in an alternative reality where humans can use magic and kill demons for a living. Personally, I never really had an issue with someone's character taking down five enemies at once without much struggle. Of course, it just depends on who the enemies are as well as who the character itself is. If the enemies are all Soul Eaters (regardless of type) and the human lacks a Silver weapon, that character is pretty much dead if not assisted by a proper Deus Ex Machina.

Combat is a VERY difficult thing to manage in roleplaying, especially if it's not being governed by RPG mechanics - which I'm not going to use for this story, as stated earlier. People are known to get carried away with their characters and often exaggerate their limited abilities. Why? It's to make the combat feel a bit interesting. That isn't a mary sue.. just someone who likes to go out of character, I guess. That's fine.. But what I simply cannot tolerate is when someone ends up killing off an unkillable enemy.. or can blow up planets.

Basically, as long as people don't make their characters DBZ material, I am fine.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

So it's not okay to make monks who scream for 4 hours straight like they're trying to pass a kidney stone out their ass? Darn.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh. I don't know, I think Ill sit out on this one. I think a rpg should have regulation on combat, otherwise just effortlessly plowing through enemies gets boring.

OP
D

Dusty

Reputation score

So it's not okay to make monks who scream for 4 hours straight like they're trying to pass a kidney stone out their ass? Darn.
So as long as they don't blow up a planet in the process. WITH THEIR BUTTHOLES.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

What if they used the 9 shiny balls of Ret-Con to fix everything?

OP
D

Dusty

Reputation score

Well, the balls better be inert afterwards.

24FM

Lurker
Reputation score

Haha this made me laugh for a while. :)

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Sounds interesting, so I'll put myself down for now. Though the name did kind of mislead me, I thought this was gonna be an RP of the manga/anime 'Soul Eater' XD

Zoto

Lurker
Reputation score

Hm, this does sound interesting, put me down for now. This will be my first RP im in so, dont kill me for posting something whitch makes everyone *facepalm*

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

(Check the time stamp, this is probably dead)