What's new

RPG RPG Maker [SQDT] サキュバスアカデミア / Succubus Academia (RJ265946)

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
Their characters are meant to feel oppressive and powerful, being defeated or having a hard fight due to bad RNG fits well with the themes imo. I'd have more of an issue with it if there wasn't the equipment that guarantees the bored status. Saves you the trouble of trying to force boredom if you want to see it.
From a design perspective I disagree.
Since it's such a big deal they could've designed the battles in a way that made you think about it.

For example: What about repeat uses of the same ability lowered that ability's accuracy?
Abilties like Dread for instance stack 3 times so there's incentive to use the ability over and over again to build up damage.

If repeat uses of the same ability made it less accurate now you're thinking about making the enemy bored and it has more impact on the gameplay making you think about it. It also makes it more likely to show up and people would actually see it playing the game naturally.

Or another example: Instead of boredom getting triggered by missing, make it so boredom is triggered when you don't do enough damage.
This way if you're using too many turns building up damage or using items they'll be more likely to get bored.

Since the mechanic is big enough that each enemy has unique images and lines for when they're bored, making it fully reliant on RNG makes it less prevalent as you play the game.

usedforits

Reputation score
From a design perspective I disagree.
Since it's such a big deal they could've designed the battles in a way that made you think about it.

For example: What about repeat uses of the same ability lowered that ability's accuracy?
Abilties like Dread for instance stack 3 times so there's incentive to use the ability over and over again to build up damage.

If repeat uses of the same ability made it less accurate now you're thinking about making the enemy bored and it has more impact on the gameplay making you think about it. It also makes it more likely to show up and people would actually see it playing the game naturally.

Or another example: Instead of boredom getting triggered by missing, make it so boredom is triggered when you don't do enough damage.
This way if you're using too many turns building up damage or using items they'll be more likely to get bored.

Since the mechanic is big enough that each enemy has unique images and lines for when they're bored, making it fully reliant on RNG makes it less prevalent as you play the game.
Really good points. I think it is implemented decently, but I agree that it could definitely be designed better. Giving it something closer to a risk/reward feel like you mentioned would make boredom overall feel more relevant and impactful. Another idea would be that since the personality of each enemy is a focus point, they each may find certain actions more boring than others.

Oskar1899

Reputation score
Really good points. I think it is implemented decently, but I agree that it could definitely be designed better. Giving it something closer to a risk/reward feel like you mentioned would make boredom overall feel more relevant and impactful. Another idea would be that since the personality of each enemy is a focus point, they each may find certain actions more boring than others.
Let's also not forget that adding in more mechanics to avoid RNG systems is rather tedious/difficult from a coding perspective. Bringing us back to the item which guaranteed the boredom in battles. Maybe a little more brainstorming could've brought fourth a more satisfying way to make it happen, but I'm happy with how it is.

SNStep

Reputation score
Jumped the gun a little earlier. If anyone got the first patch before I deleted it, it's fine, it just had some unfinished/QC-ish stuff in it that I meant to remove. Anyway, sorry this got a little behind my planned schedule, but I think it'll feel worth the wait.

Succubus Academia English Translation Patch 0.85a
This patch is based on version 1.0.1 of the Japanese game.

To use it:
Unzip the file, and insert the contents of the 'www' folder directly into the folder of the same name in the game's main folder. Overwrite as necessary. Run the game.

A note on names:
When entering a name, you can use up to 18 characters in each field (if you have passing knowledge of Japanese, ignore the text that says you only have 8. That's an image and can't be easily translated at this time. The first field should be the character's full name, Japanese style (so family name, given name) with a space between the two separating them. The second field whatever nickname you may want the character to have (default is just the first name).

What's new in this patch:

The two remaining main game areas, the Mirror World, and the Haunted lab, and all their content, have been translated. In addition, the encounter with Mnemosyne, and the initial encounters with the 5 Notorious Succubi, are complete. Finally, the end game "boss rush" has also been translated to English.

What this effectively means is that the game, up to the opening of the path to the True End, has been completed. Various other things from that section may show up in English as well, but expect it to be minimal and intermittent until later patch iterations are done. If there's something I missed that's not on the exceptions list, let me know (screenshot it if you're able) and I'll fix it.

At this point, essentially, you should be able to play all the way up through the endgame "boss rush" and all the in-game, non-image text, should be in English. If you catch anything in dialogue, combat text, or anything similar, that hasn't been translated, please let me know. I'm sure there are things I haven't caught yet, as there's text hiding in all sorts of nooks and crannies of the code. If you catch anything before that point, and not noted in the list of exceptions and known issues below, please let me know so I can fix it.

One last note, but certain grammar and syntax patterns in the interface and combat text have been changed with this patch, to account for certain late game events that did not exactly...translate well. I'm attempting to go back and fix previously-translated content as I work on the new things, but didn't want to delay the patch further just for that, and don't have plans to do comprehensive "fixes" until after the 1.0 translation patch (just because after that, I'll be going back and re-editing the text rather comprehensively anyway). Everything should be clear to understand and mostly grammatically sound, but just know that if you see a "You is" once or twice while playing, that's known, and it's going to be fixed. Feel free to let me know when/if you catch them so I can sort of earmark them for later work, though.

What was in previous patch(es):

Everything you can see or possibly see by the time you finish the first area (the forest) -should- be translated. That includes the all the crunchy stuff (items, skills, etc), the prologue, field dialogue, tutorials, character index entries, all battle data with enemies in the first dungeon, the midboss, both forms of the first boss, and one other scene that uses the combat system.

All content related to the track and pool areas, their enemies/bosses and events, should be in English now. Mochizuki and Nina's "battles" are also translated. The Gallery section is also mostly done.

Missing from the translation:

The true endgame. There's a nontrivial amount of story and encounters left to do. However, this content is sectioned off, so to speak, so if you stop after the boss-rush, you shouldn't notice anything missing on that front.

Notorious Succubi: The initial encounters with these bonus bosses based on the works of other creators are complete. These are needed to unlock the True Ending. However, each one has a second encounter once you enter the lead-up to the True Ending, and these are not translated yet.

With regards to the Gallery, the book perk is also something I'm not messing with the time being, in part because it doesn't "translate" well in the first place, so it's a lot of extra work, relative to its usefulness. I'll do something with it someday. Maybe.

Known bugs:

Some skills or upgrade names may refer to others by names that don't exist in the game. This is the result of making some changes from initial drafts, so if you catch these, let me know and I'll fix the names to their current states. As noted above, there may be certain grammatical issues that come up for similar reasons. They'll sorted out in future patches, but feel free to let me know where you catch them.

Certain characters names, such as Mnemosyne, and the Notorious Succubi, are permanently "saved" into your file when you first meet them, so if you encounter them in a save that did not use this patch, their name will be permanently "bugged" and remain in Japanese, as near as I can tell, even after patching your game.

When the Demon Merchant automatically buys useless items, sometimes the text gets cut off from the edge of the screen. There does not appear be a fix for this.

Options for conversation nameplates, and the Auto-Advance for battle and field messages, as well as certain text in the shop -may- reset their labels to Japanese. This seems to be tied to actually editing the game, so as long you don't mess with the files, the translated text should stay put.

What's coming next:

The next patch will be "1.0", which will include all the content related to the True Ending, meaning the game should be fully playable in English. After that, the next plan will be to catch the English patch up to the latest Japanese patch (currently at 1.1.2 as of this writing, while the English patch is based on 1.0.1), though that may take some time.

Final warning:

Game lore says that since Succubi are fantasy creatures, if you jerk off imagining a Succubus, you are actually being assaulted by that Succubus. Translator takes no responsibility for unexpected draining.

Attachments

Nephys

Reputation score
Some skills or upgrade names may refer to others by names that don't exist in the game. This is the result of making some changes from initial drafts, so if you catch these, let me know and I'll fix the names to their current states. As noted above, there may be certain grammatical issues that come up for similar reasons. They'll sorted out in future patches, but feel free to let me know where you catch them.
Just a heads up, the skill that was previously called "Flirt" changed to "Grovel"

Last edited:

SNStep

Reputation score
Just a heads up, the skill that was previously called "Flirt" changed to "Grovel"
Yeah, that skill has bugged me from the start. There's not exactly a good catch-all term I can come up with that means quite the same as the Japanese word, which is sort of "abase yourself to make the other person amused, particularly in a romantic/sexual way".
Most of the skills have an English name in the code (which I generally matched), but the one for that one is "Flatter", which I don't think quite fits the a lot of the sentiment in the combat descriptions. In the early draft I did, it was "Fool Around", then it became "Flirt", and now "Grovel" though even that doesn't feel quite right. I've also thought of "Suck Up", but I think "Grovel" feels a little more in-line with the other skill names. I've also bounced around a lot on the Fear-stance skill that's currently called "Terror". Half the time, I feel like "Panic" would suit it better.

That was a pretty long digression to ask: is there anywhere in the game text where you caught "Grovel" is still being referred to be the old name, so I can fix it and make it consistent?

Last edited:

Azrail26232

Demon Girl
Reputation score
New update on the Ci-en, 1.1.4. Also, on the same page you can also find a mod that lets you stick it in the fairy. There's no gameplay benefit, and doing so will outright kill you as with the bosses, but you can now fuck the fairy.

That said they've also added a new item that lets you turn any combat defeat into a "twas just a dream" situation. Can only carry one, but can buy more from the mechant. Could be an alternative to outright savescumming on tricky boss battles.

Nephys

Reputation score
Most of the skills have an English name in the code (which I generally matched), but the one for that one is "Flatter", which I don't think quite fits the a lot of the sentiment in the combat descriptions. In the early draft I did, it was "Fool Around", then it became "Flirt", and now "Grovel" though even that doesn't feel quite right.
Wow, I had no Idea that you was putting that much thought and consideration into your translation. I appreciate your hard work.

That was a pretty long digression to ask: is there anywhere in the game text where you caught "Grovel" is still being referred to be the old name, so I can fix it and make it consistent?
As for what I've seen, no. Everything connected to it is being referenced as grovel now

SNStep

Reputation score
Can i request you translate these insert mods too?
You can and I likely will (until/unless there end up being some inordinate amount of mods that's just not practical), but they're likely to be a later on the agenda than sooner, in part because I'm not entirely sure how compatible they'll be with the earlier version of the game I'm currently using for the translation patch anyway. So the general agenda is (and will likely remain): step one: finish the base game, step two: update things to finish the most recent version I can, then step three: work on incorporating mods and future patches as they come.

SNStep

Reputation score
Hey all, been working on the true ending content (plugging along when I can, but don't expect it this week), but I have a question for anyone who's actually gotten through everything. See there's a couple encounters that are in the code, so to speak, but which I can't seem to find a way to actually trigger, and if they can't be triggered, then I figure, for now, to be efficient, I'll probably leave those out. So can anyone confirm whether the following two events can trigger, and if so, how to get them (so I can test and QC if I end up needing to translate them):

Specifically, I'm wondering about Nina's "romantic" encounter (there's a trigger I found for it, but it just says "If Script = False" and I have no idea what script, let alone if it's possible to make said script "false", and Mnemosyne's second encounter (called "MnemosyneEx" in the json files), as I don't even see a trigger for that one.

gutshell

Reputation score
Is Nina the nurse? If so there is a second fight with her in the true end that has all the pink "romance" options. I think it is referring to that fight. Mnemosyne's second encounter could also be one of the dialog options that allow you fight her again in the true end route when you can collect all the of relics of the playable characters to upgrade their abilities.

SNStep

Reputation score
Nina is the delinquent girl.
You re-encounter her on the true ending path when she comes back to the clubhouse to get her purse. You have various options in terms of how you respond to her (and depending on whether you found and spent the money she'd previously taken from you), but none actually seem connected to the romance encounter that there's a json for (and which does appear in the event code, just...blocked off.

As for Mnemosyne, there's not even an event call for her a second encounter during that segment (not even a blocked-off one like Nina gets). Hence why I'm wondering if it's in the game at all.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
In the unlikely event someone doesn't read the readme:
"This patch is based on version 1.0.1 of the Japanese game"
It should be regarded as incompatible with the latest SQDT patches, and will revert most additions/changes to what they were in v1.0.1, in case you're using a later version. Make sure you understand this before reporting any inconsistency or bug.
TL,DR: don't download the Ci-en patches yet, guys, they're useless for you rn.

@SNStep
First off: nice work. Way, ways better than I could have managed myself - even had I the will and the time. Thanks. (y)

C_NinaEV2Love?
That's the fight where you upgrade the Merchant's arcana. It's EV091, where she's looking for the wallet you (should) have picked up. True end route, of course. Requires 3+ mysterious notes.
She's Nina though, so I personally don't care if you never translate her :D

I barely playtested :cry: but I noticed smtg about my favorite skill:
Lose it (Chaos - the skill granted by the Hatter's key)'s decription is incorrect.
It should read (according to your choices in words):
"Lose your mind to chaos (Indulge in/give in to chaos)
Simultaneously become Shivering, Fortified, Groveling"
"Player lost his mind!
He became Shivering, Fortified and Groveling all at once!"
The original description is admittedly highly confusing...

Updating the translation to 1.1.4 shouldn't be too hard.
Supposing you're using T++ and that's a first time for for you: you'd import the .trans file to a new T++ project. All the lines that have not changed since 1.0.1 should be here. The other, blank ones will be changes or additions. You'd need to provide your .trans file, if you'd rather someone do it for you - like me, feel free to PM.
But that'd be better to wait for you to have a ~week long pause, so as not to delay your own noble endeavours. Issues/delays are likely to arise.

The above was for /data. There's no trick nor shortcut for /js. Only pain.
On a side note, still provided you're using T++, you can use shift+ctrl+F to hunt for overlooked older terms ("Fool Around", "Flirt"...). Careful if/when replacing, as there's currently no ctrl+Z way back.

Last edited:

SNStep

Reputation score
Thanks for the pat on the back and the tip on the Hatter's Key. That was driving me mad (pun intended)!
Also, I've actually been using RPGMaker itself to translate. I'm a little embarrassed now to admit that I wasn't aware of T++, but looking at it...it may come in handy in the future, especially based on how you described it's functions! Once I finish the 1.0 translation the current way, I may try to use it for the update patch (I was always going to go back and tweak/fix certain bits of script anyway, so it's gonna be a copy/paste job regardless, but getting it into a T++ file might make for more efficient future updates, based on your description).

Regarding Nina,
As noted in the other post where I went into a bit more detail, I'm aware of where the encounter gets called, but can't seem to find any indication that it's actually possible to trigger it (I even checked the latest Japanese version and it's identical in that regard, as far as I can see). It may just presently be dummied-out content, essentially. Hence why I'm curious if anyone has triggered it, to help me figure out the best way to handle it.

And I like her. If nothing else, she's an opportunity to be...creative with vocabulary ways I'm usually not.

Last edited:

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
so it's gonna be a copy/paste job regardless, but getting it into a T++ file might make for more [efficiency]
Oh boy... How right you are. T++ has many flaws (and many more critically flawed users) but it is nothing short of a godsend. It doesn't replace RPGM, but its ability to centralize and adapt translation strings is a-ma-zing.
It's useless with scripts (including /js) but I can't blame it. It does also lack a troubleshooting thread here at ULMF :unsure:

However, quality i.e. proper checks/context about your work, definitely require RPGM. You're not in the wrong (except for patches/mods/add-ons where you'll have this non-trivial C/P ordeal to undergo).
since I forgot to save many a project so far, I've had a few ideas about trying to recover/convert/reverse engineer a tranlation (/data files) into a .trans/T++ file. I'll give these a try this w-e with your 0.85a, but I doubt any will work...
Regarding Nina, [...] I like her.
If nothing else, she's an opportunity to be...creative with vocabulary ways I'm usually not.
I'm well aware - that's about the only fight(s) I've properly tested.
That's where much of my honest praise came from. I was blown away (no pun intended... for real) with how correct and on point her speech was. I won't be able to rival this in my lifetime 😅 (call it intellectual reluctancy... if you're kind)

PS: Notepad++ also has a "mass search in any file" ctrl+shift+F function - with a ctrl+Z feature; and it's very well-suited for .json and .js (as long as you specify the proper coding in use).

noluck

Reputation score
Speaking of the Notorious fights in the true routes, are they different from what we get when we first fight them?