What's new

RPG Active [Studio FOW] Subverse

CobraPL

Demon Girl
Reputation score
Bored with "gameplay". Is there any recollection room or sth?

HentaiProdigy

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Technically? You play space battles and ground battles to level up the character's devotion levels, which gives you PP points you can spend to unlock scenes with them in the Captain's Quarters. It's the most disappointing thing about the dang thing, that it's a shmup and a very basic isometric "strategy" game first and foremost, with a forced and completely separated gallery thrown into it. The actual sex is completely removed from the actual game, which makes it so they could just as well have just released those as the old style of short videos rather than lock them behind awkward progression.

AExMachina

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score
Well, there's also a "plot" but since any dialogue is half juvenile "shit cunt drugs 4th wall breaking lol" crap and half serious but not very interesting space opera that's not that great either. And talking to crew members gives you a long loading screen which makes trying to figure out what is going on extra annoying. It just launched in EA so it might get a bit better but it's never going to be a masterpiece of any sort, that's for sure.

Animations are great and the SHMUP part isn't too bad but the parts just don't fit too well to each other. Shame.

Strange

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Millennial writers
FOW was funded in 2014... They can't use this excuse.
Good writers are expensive though. Who could hire one for $2,000,000? (forget a programmer)

Subverse (how I like the irony of the name) now on !
your trustworthy and reliable wikipedia said:
Many users has admired the gameplay and storyline but criticized the lack of initial sexual content and interactivity
(7) cf "Subverse [v0.1] [Studio Fow] Reviews". F95Zone. Retrieved 27 March 2021.
edit: Please note the "many users has" to exemplify my point.

Ikaruga was 20 years ago. In this time X-Com went from glory to the trash can. And now this.
Welcome in 2021, fellas, enjoy your stay. :coffee:

Last edited:

Cupio

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
I just hope all the scenes get uploaded somewhere so I can determine whether it's worth my time. Was never interested in this game but who knows, it might surprise me.

ChupacabraGonzales

Reputation score
Man I was hoping for at least some spicy action in combat, maybe a little bit of BF/CR action.
The way I see it right now, it's just 3 different games meddled into one: turn based tactical rpg, DemonStar and some lame ass dating sim visual novel...
All I ever wanted from StudioFow was for them to release Asstroid Prime...

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
Millennial writers: Srs story bad, I maek funny 🤪
Everyone else: How original. /s
Vinland Saga and Rick and Morty are written by millenials tho...
So was Netflix's Mindhunter

It's the most disappointing thing about the dang thing, that it's a shmup and a very basic isometric "strategy" game first and foremost, with a forced and completely separated gallery thrown into it. The actual sex is completely removed from the actual game, which makes it so they could just as well have just released those as the old style of short videos rather than lock them behind awkward progression.
According to them, that's a feature not a bug.

They got tons of support when they made their kickstarter but most people didn't understand what kind of group StudioFOW was before throwing their money at them :cautious:
Once the doujins that StudioFOW commissioned came out, and people actually saw the sexual content that was to StudioFOW's fancy A LOT (go check subverse's subreddit and the comment section in pururin) of people got worried thinking that was gonna be the sexual content in the main game. StudioFOW then came out and said, that type of content, (girls getting raped by monsters) was going to be in the game but all sexual content is separate from the main game so you aren't forced to watch anything you don't like. You can choose to see the alien breeding sex or not it's up to you.

By making it a choice for the player it no longer matters. Story significant plot points can no longer happen in the adult content, and it becomes possible to play the game with 0 adult interaction.

some lame ass dating sim visual novel.
This came from pressure from the fans.
It was expected that the captain would be able to romance the girls.

Yes. I know. People saw this.

and thought. Yeah. I want him to romance those "heroines."

StudioFOW initially had no intention of adding romance to the game. (I mean... these girls will literally fuck monsters on their own. why's the MC gotta put in work to get in the pants of supersluts?)
But it was so "expected" that after some discussion and people realizing it wasn't gonna be in, StudioFOW capitulated and added it.

___

Honestly, all I got was these guys have no balls as developers.
They weren't confident in their sexual proclivities so they made it optional. Optional sexual content makes your game less sexy by a considerable margin and makes it so sexual content literally can't tie in to the main narrative.
They added romance even though the game was clearly not designed for it. These girls aren't heroines. They shouldn't be romanceable imho, and it would make more sense in their own setting if the lead creative stuck by his gut instict and just kept the girls from that area.

tpogs

Reputation score
StudioFOW initially had no intention of adding romance to the game. (I mean... these girls will literally fuck monsters on their own. why's the MC gotta put in work to get in the pants of supersluts?)
But it was so "expected" that after some discussion and people realizing it wasn't gonna be in, StudioFOW capitulated and added it.
I think they really shot themselves in the feet when they decided to release on Steam. I'm not sure the rape/non-con stuff stuff they specialize in can fly under the radar on that platform.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
I think they really shot themselves in the feet when they decided to release on Steam. I'm not sure the rape/non-con stuff stuff they specialize in can fly under the radar on that platform.
Isn't Smash Boy on steam?
Pretty sure that's rape too.

Also the first Evenicle is on steam. That shit's got a brutal scene of a girl getting raped and EATEN at the same time.
What's that gotta do with my statement on romance though? Honest question.

Ericridge

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So the hentai scenes is just clips of animations? If it is,then its a easy skip for me.

TheUnsaid

Reputation score
So the hentai scenes is just clips of animations? If it is,then its a easy skip for me.
No they're 3D scenes. Loops and creampies. I think the amount of loops will depend on the scene.

Eden7

Reputation score
I'm enjoying the game so far. The sex scenes are coming as Studio FOW said they wanted to prioritize the gameplay first--bug fixing and so on then they'll double down on the sex scenes. The game is in early access so all complaints are being addressed with time. And $30 bucks ain't bad, people (myself included) paid $60 for the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco. The VA, gameplay, and writing is top tier for a H-game. The only other H-game I can think of with writing as good is Hengen Souki Shine Mirage and Goblin Burrow. If you're jaded you should probably skip this one. Considering all the free labor Studio Fow did creating some of my favorite CG spank vids of all time--they deserve a chance.