Suggestions

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Suggestions

This is true, but isn't that the point of good armor? That it protects from weaker attacks?
I have been thinking of lower the AV of some of the higher end ones though, especially since plate can't be shifted. As is, plate stopping 20 damage means a hellhounds max damage is 4, and it has a 50% chance to do 0 damage. The lower speed is meant to make it harder for them to deal with mages, since magic and spirit attacks bypass armor, but so far that hasn't manifested much.

Were I to implement your idea, I would probably have every attack roll a d2 or a d3, and it causes a scratch if it rolls max. Every scratch would decrease armors AV by 1, and when Scratches > AV the armor is destroyed. Repairs would have to be possible, and relatively cheap. That would kind of screw over the warriors a bit though, since mages and spirit users don't have any similar problem since their armor is expendable anyway.

11/26/09 - Increased the power of Blessing, Battle Aura, Nightmarish Image, and Dark Armor
12/7/09 - Increased the power of Pressure and noted that Hard Hitter can be taken multiple times, as well as increasing the cost of Whirlwind. (All Talents.)

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

I suggest that armor have a certain "durability" check to pass maybe.

Every time a single blow deals more than an armor's durability, the armor takes 1 point of damage.
If armor takes a hit greater than it's durability + remaining tear points, it's torn off instantly due to the high damage.

Claws and teeth may not do much damage, but tearing off straps and making small dents in armor will eventually weaken it until it's unusable, or can be easily torn away by tougher enemies.

Sample:
Leather Armor - 4 durability, has 8 tear points left (very damaged armor)

Example of 2 mini-demons attacking...
First round, armor has 8 TP left.
First demon does 8 damage. Character takes 3 points of injury (8 - 5), armor takes 2 tear points of damage. (8 / 4, rounded down. is 2)

Second demon attacks, does 3 damage. Character takes no damage, and armor's durability is too great to take damage.

Second round, Armor has 6 TP left.
First demon attacks, does 5 damage. Character takes no damage (5 -5), and armor takes 1 tear point of damage. (5 / 4, rounded down is 1.)

Second demon gets a lucky attack and does 10 damage. Character takes 4 damage (9 - 5), and armor tears off (10 - 4 (durability) - 5 (remaining TP) = 1 damage over armor's remaining TP). The armor takes 2TP of damage too (10/4 rounded down is 2.)

Combat continues, and the armor may be retrieved after combat, as it has 3 TP left. Though odds are the first hit it takes will tear it off again against any but the weakest attacks. It's still better than no armor though. But more importantly, the girl may still find a way to repair it.

Durability would need to be adjusted based on material of the armor, of course. Just suggestions...

Edit: Additional info-
Allow armor to have a basic amount that can be repaired after any encounter, to prevent it losing durability too fast, and add a new warrior feat that lets them repair armor better than magic classes.

Additional fixes: make the tougher armors warrior-only, such as a special warrior trait giving access to tough armors, boosting armor durability by 1, and allowing a higher repair to all armors after combat.

... Or yeah, you could just lower the armor value of everything sharply, but if you do that too much, it makes armor a bit useless, doesn't it?

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

While I'm here, I'm going to suggest that you change the cost of increasing scores from "2 XP for 2 points" to "8 XP for 8 points". Just so you can't spend it after every battle.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

While I'm here, I'm going to suggest that you change the cost of increasing scores from "2 XP for 2 points" to "8 XP for 8 points". Just so you can't spend it after every battle.
Unless that's 8 divided as you choose in groups of two, it's going to be extremely inconvenient if people what to spend xp in more than one stat.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

@Kathy: I like that, it works quite well.

@thetwo: I was about to suggest 10 after reading that, but then I realized that it was the same as taking a Talent so it worked better as 8.

Any objections to either idea?

Edit: Ninja'ed by Phoenix. Though I suppose that might be reasonable. Another idea is to require that a character rest to increase their stats, sort of like the Elder Scrolls games.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

I vote the "Rest" to increase stats one really. Makes a tad more sense imo.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Obviously I don't disagree with my own idea (and indeed choose 8 for that very reason), and I'm way too bored to critique the armor one. Pretty much any way to allow degradation of armor would be fine with me, and I'll step aside and let someone playing a warrior-class give their opinion.

And as far as splitting up the 8 among different abilities, I'd be fine with that... but I'd also be fine with forcing them to wait longer to upgrade their other abilities. :p

Edit: and I'm also fine with making people wait until they can rest to spend XP. Makes sense, really. I just spent my XP (having 8 total), but you can feel free to ignore that until I get to bed if you like.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Since Tass likes my idea, I'm going to see about giving armor updated stats, and adding a talent.
(Note: these are just suggestions, nothing that must be taken 100%)

Cloth Armor: EV = 0, AV = 2, TP = 25. DuP = 3.

Leather Armor: EV = 1, AV = 4, TP = 35. DuP = 4.

Elven Bramble Armor: EV = 2, AV = 10, TP = 38. DuP = 3.

Chainmail: EV = 5, AV = 9, TP = 40. DuP = 5

Plate Armor: EV = 10, AV = 15, TP = 60. Can't be ignored. DuP = 5.

Edits made:
- Cloth armor +5 TP. It's low durability point means it will take damage very fast.
- Leather armor +5 TP. Improved TP minorly, will still take damage quickly, soon rendering it useless. Dropped AV by 1 point to prepare for new Warrior Trait.
- Elven Bramble Armor +10 TP. Large TP boost to offset low DurabilityPoint (DuP), making it a unique middle-ground armor. Lowered AV by 2 points.
- Chainmail. Lowered TP by 8, but high DuP makes the armor exceptionally durable for its values. Lowered AV by 3 to further offset it from Bramble armor.
- Plate Armor. Kept TP the same, showing Plate Armor's exceptional toughness, gave it similar DuP as Chainmail to show it can still be damaged though. Lowered AV by 5 points.

1d6 points of armor damage may be repaired, up to 1 point less than it's TP before the last time it was repaired (number of combats is irrelivant, it's since last repair). This damage is represented by small scratches and casual non-vital damage done to the materials of the armor. (straps that were loosened being lashed back on, small dents being hammered back out, etc.)

This repair is considered makeshift at best, which is why the armor may not be repaired back to full TP after being damaged. It will take 3 rounds per point repaired in this way, leaving characters vulnerable to attack.

An appropriate armorer will be necessary to repair armor back towards it's full TP.

New Warrior Trait:
Armor Expert.
An additional 1d6 points of TP may be repaired on armor after combat, and armor may be repaired up to its former durability (since last time repaired!), suffering no durability loss.

Being an armor expert, repairs take only 1 round per point repaired. Any armor worn has 1 extra DuP, and armor has an additional (1 + 10% current AV (rounded normally)) points of AV. (Cloth and Leather get +1. Bramble and Chain get +2, Plate gets +3. This leaves the formula open ended for rare armors.)

(Told you there was a reason I was lowering AVs.)

Opinions? Suggestions? Comments?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Obviously I don't disagree with my own idea (and indeed choose 8 for that very reason), and I'm way too bored to critique the armor one. Pretty much any way to allow degradation of armor would be fine with me, and I'll step aside and let someone playing a warrior-class give their opinion.

And as far as splitting up the 8 among different abilities, I'd be fine with that... but I'd also be fine with forcing them to wait longer to upgrade their other abilities. :p

Edit: and I'm also fine with making people wait until they can rest to spend XP. Makes sense, really. I just spent my XP (having 8 total), but you can feel free to ignore that until I get to bed if you like.
If the 8xp for 8 stat points is enabled like that, then the 'strong of whatever' trait should be removed completely or changed to give, say, +12 instead of +6.

Currently, the' strong of whatever' trait has a bonus to xp rate of 3/4 while spending xp for a normal stat boost is a one to one ratio.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If the 8xp for 8 stat points is enabled like that, then the 'strong of whatever' trait should be removed completely or changed to give, say, +12 instead of +6.

Currently, the' strong of whatever' trait has a bonus to xp rate of 3/4 while spending xp for a normal stat boost is a one to one ratio.
What? Why should "strong of X" be better then just buying stat points? It should be slightly worse, since it's the same as spending XP except it can be bought at character creation. "8 XP for 8 stats" instead of "8 XP for 6 stats but you can buy it at creation" seems about right. Besides, needing to wait until you rest is probably better then requiring larger chunks anyway.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Well, it just seems extremely odd that the strong of traits can be bought at other times as well and have the limitation of only being able to be bought once.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

What? Why should "strong of X" be better then just buying stat points? It should be slightly worse, since it's the same as spending XP except it can be bought at character creation. "8 XP for 8 stats" instead of "8 XP for 6 stats but you can buy it at creation" seems about right. Besides, needing to wait until you rest is probably better then requiring larger chunks anyway.
That was the point of the "Strong of" Talents, since there are no pre-requisites for other Talents as of yet, and that would be the only point of taking them using exp.

As for the new armor mechanic, the only part I don't like is that Bramble has higher AV than Chain while they have almost the same TP, but only a 2 point DuP difference. That and requiring a Talent to be able to use armor effectively seems a little harsh, despite how realistic it is.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Note: From now on, Talents marked with a * before their title can only be taken once. All others are free to be taken as many times as you want.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Like I said, it was just a suggestion, and I'm only hoping that you like my ideas.

@ Chainmail vs. Bramble: They may have nearly the same TP, but Chainmail's 5 point DuP means it's MUCH harder to destroy. Requiring 200 damage (more with the damage rounding drops) to destroy it, while Bramble only requires around 100 damage to destroy.

Every point of DuP counts for a lot. A 30 damage hit would do 10 TP damage to Bramble, while only 6 TP damage to Chainmail with this system.

As for the talent, I know it's harsh, but that's why I gave it so many little advantages. I can still see how it feels harsh. Maybe if the talent got a larger bonus somewhere. Something comparable to the -2 damage trait in general?

Last edited:
OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, that's a night for me. I'll think your new mechanic over and see if I can find any chinks in it Kathy, possibly more updates tomorrow, though I do have essays and studying that needs doing.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Aww, okay. Night Tass.
I hope my suggestion meets your approval (after some tweaking perhaps?).

... >.> p.s. You never assigned Sable's XP some of her fights. :p

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Aww, okay. Night Tass.
I hope my suggestion meets your approval (after some tweaking perhaps?).

... >.> p.s. You never assigned Sable's XP some of her fights. :p
If you meant the hellhounds, I thought I said 6 exp at some point. If I didn't 6 exp for you.

None for the plant, since you fucked t anyway, and they're incredibly weak enemies once you get past the poison. And you didn't kill either of the clawed demons that chased you from the inn. Unless you meant the tentacled horror, which was the bug thing you lightninged at the beginning of your game. That was a 2 exp enemy. I don't remember what else you've fought at the moment.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Hm. Didn't know I wouldn't get the XP if I fucked it anyhow XD

And no you didn't mention the dogs, which was mostly what I was asking about. So I've got like 8xp now. Will update my charsheet accordingly.

Asmodean

Lurker
Reputation score

Kathy's idea seems all good to me. Keeps me from just walking around yelling "FIGHT ME!!!!!!!" and never getting hurt until a god or giant attack me :p. However if magic armor have so breaking chance I would like to see a way to due that to me character's armor for back story reasons.

Also maybe you should the XP to the monster list in the back story post. This way we can just look and you will not have to worry unless some mess up their XP count.