What's new

Tactical CYOA

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score
so I've been tossing around this idea for a day or so, slept on it, and now am asking what people's opinions would be. now as I'm just putting the idea out there to see how much interest is engendered, I'm not taking any votes for the various decisions I'm leaving to the community - if enough people are interested I'll start a CYO post whenceforth I'll be recording votes. also a lot of these rules I'm making up as I go along so if any of you have game balance ideas I'd be more than happy to hear them.

The premise:
If you've played Eiyuu x Maou you'll be very familiar with the idea. Basically, you are a warrior who has made a pact with a demon because you want to take over the world. You haven't got an army, just a succubus as a companion. However, one of your new talents is tentacle rape, and you've discovered that you can breed with your companion to make soldiers in remarkably short fashion.

The mechanics:
This is where this game strays from the other CYOAs I've seen. What we'll be doing is using a Risk map (because I'm lazy and fixing my other computer just so I can use an image editor to make a map is way too much effort):

We're either only going to be using the Africa continent or that and Europe for simplicity and brevity's sake. It's going to function just like a turn-based strategy game, mirroring the actual game Risk in many ways.

The time limit:
You have a certain amount of months to take over the 'world.' Each action you take requires a certain amount of time. Attacking another province costs a month. Breeding new soldiers will take two weeks (so you can attack, breed twice, attack, etc). I haven't decided what the time limit should be - actually, I've decided to let YOU decide. Basing the difficulty off of the idea of using both Africa and Europe, which have thirteen provinces, I've decided that thirty months would be hard, thirty five months would be medium, and fourty months would be easy. I also haven't really decided on a justification for the time limit - perhaps you need to take over the world before your curse ends, or reinforcements arrive that are capable of defeating you, or the defenders are researching and casting a demon-banishing spell or something.

The provinces:
Each province acts as a Supply Depot for your army. Depending on the size and location, it will give you a certain amount of food - anywhere in the range from two to seven. The total amount of troops you can have in your army equals the total amount of food you have; if you have three countries with two, four, and three food, your maximum army size will come to nine troops. Food also acts as a stationing limit - you can't have more than four troops positioned in a province that has four food. This works in reverse as well - when you attack a province with a food source of four, that province can only defend with four troops.

The princesses:
Each province is governed by a princess. Why every single province's leader is a sexy young female is a complete mystery and most likely total coincidence. When you capture a province, you have the option to try to capture its princess. If you succeed, an extra month is taken off of the time, (to train and break her). The upside is that you can breed with these powerful warriors to make new troops (you'll also get one set of troops at the end of the breaking month). Each princess has different breeding stats - while the original succubus you have will give you two moderately powerful troops, some princesses will give you three, four, or even five troops. Some of their offspring may be more powerful, enabling you to require less food or take over very powerful countries.
The princesses also have a love/attachment stat. The more you are kind to them during breeding, the more they will like you. If they get to a certain point of attachment, the troops they breed will be far more powerful than before. So there's a benefit to breeding consistently with one of your harem.
Princesses do not require food as you cannot attack with them.

Let's see, is there anything I've forgotten to mention...? Oh that's right, the battle system. Oh, and the defender "AI." Well let's get to that.

The battle system:
I haven't fleshed this out yet. Basically, when you attack a province, you have to decide how many troops you want to throw in the battle. You know how many defenders they have, but not the quality of their defenders. Their troops could only number in the two or three range, but they might be elite soldiers that could take on four of your normal troops and win (I will however be adding a search/scout option to discover the relative strength of the enemy's troops). Once you've committed your troops to an attack, they either win or die. Chances are some of them will die in the attack, but if they win, all of the survivors will now occupy the conquered province. This is important to know because of the next idea....

The defender "AI:"
Essentially, I will be giving you guys all the decisions on what province to attack, how many troops to throw into battle, which troops to attack with, when to breed, pretty much everything. I will be controlling the defenders, however. I can attack your provinces with my troops (but not my own, there won't be any interwars with the defenders). So basically this is a game and you'll be playing against me. To offset your breeding ability, I can place two troops per power each month. I can't go beyond the food limit, and even if a power controls more than one province (won't happen unless I take one of yours), they can still only place two troops. That's a bit convoluted, so I'll give an example.

You start out in Africa on province 6. (refer to the image above or go ) Hypothetical food limits:
Province 6: four
Province 4: two
Province 1: four
province 2: three

You attack 4, committing two of your troops to the battle (because you can't have more than two troops in 4). You win without losing a troop. You now have two troops in 4, and two troops in 6. I see this and take the opportunity to attack 6 with 1, committing all of my troops. I lose one troop, but you lose the battle. Now, province 1 counts as one power, so even though they control more than one province, I can still only place two troops in any province they control at the beginning of the month. So at the end of the month, I have three troops in 6 and no troops in 1. I can put two troops divided among those provinces, but I can only put one troop in 6 because its limit is four and I already have three there.

That's terribly complex. Does all of that make sense? I think I might have to change the bolster mechanic to every two months or something - since your breeding takes time, only fair that my bolstering should too. Didn't realize how powerful it would be until I wrote out that example, haha.

Here's one thing that might put the whole project in the can for some concerned, and this is important, so pay attention:
I will not under any circumstances be writing out ANY of the sex.
The only person I've ever roleplayed sex with is my girlfriend of more than a few years. I wouldn't be comfortable writing out sex scenes for a bunch of strangers (no offense - I know some of you fairly well, but not that well =P ). So even though the game contains tentacle rape, there won't actually be any details. The exception to this is if someone else volunteers to write the scenes for us - I'd be more than happy to edit my posts with the contributed sex - just as long as I'm not the one writing it.

Okay so that's the basic layout of the game. Would you all be interested in me continuing the idea? Would anybody be interested in playing it, even without sex? Give me opinions, constructive criticism, ideas for game balance, anything you can think of.

Last edited:

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score
Re: Risk meets Eiyuu x Maou meets Rance meets CYOA?

Here's one thing that might put the whole project in the can for some concerned, and this is important, so pay attention:
I will not under any circumstances be writing out ANY of the sex.
Damn. Even put it in Big Bold Red Ink.

Your aversion to the best part of this idea aside, I'm very interested in the combat mechanics you have in mind. You say this is a Risk style game, but there will be different types of troops with varying levels of power? I'm very versed in system design, and if you'd like I can whip up a quick set of mechanic. Hell, I just read your thread and I already have a system almost done.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Always happy to have someone else do work for me. Let's hear it.

(if you don't want to clutter up the thread, go ahead and PM me, doesn't matter to me)

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Can we write out the sex maybe, or perhaps, PM it. It's just that many people will find an H game not worth playing if people remove the H. :p Thuogh I guess I can understand your discomfort with the deal.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

The exception to this is if someone else volunteers to write the scenes for us - I'd be more than happy to edit my posts with the contributed sex - just as long as I'm not the one writing it.
Absolutely. You guys would PM it to me and I would edit into my posts.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

then interest is shown here. ^_^

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Couple days since anybody's commented and only two or three people have shown interest so probably going to scrap the idea.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

Maybe just starting the game will generate more interest. That's what happened with Exotic Exponent . I said "Let's play!" and we did.

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

OK...interest is shown here, too

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay, I'll try that then.

First option: The Hero
What type of character is the main character? What are his reasons for wanting world domination and making the pact with the demon?

1:
A) He sees the princesses as petty, with their constant squabbling with each other. He thinks they have done nothing for the world but held it back, and that with himself installed as leader, he will be able to bring a golden age of prosperity and peace. He plans to open schools, unify nations, build roads, and generally is a good guy. He is not exactly comfortable with rape, but will come to see it as a necessary evil, and will rationalize it as the princesses getting nothing less than what they deserve for the state they've put the world in.

B) He is a power-hungry and ambitious soldier that stumbled across the demon pact and found it to be the perfect way to achieve his desires. He wants to dominate the world for the sake of having it; he wants everybody to know his name and taste their fear when they speak it. He loves sex but sees women as not much more than the ground for which a man to plant his seed. He is not evil, but the touch of the demon has corrupted him to the point of being capable of murder - where before he was simply trying to rise up the ranks and never delving to the point of torture or killing in cold blood, now he is capable of openly slaughtering someone and feeling little remorse for it. (love status with princess slaves more difficult, capturing princesses slightly more difficult, slight bonus to troops due to being a high-ranking military official)

C) He started out life as a deformed hunchback serf, and was hated and made fun of when he was young. All he wants is to be loved by people, and so when he stumbled across the demon pact, he made himself into the most beautiful man alive. He wants to be a good ruler, but his main motivation behind conquering the world is so he can brag about how much the leaders of it (the princesses) love him and adore him. His main goal is nothing more than to have the perfect harem of all the princesses. He holds women in high regard, but sees them as shallow and vindictive because of all the abuse he took as a child. As a result, he has no problem with raping them, but does so in a way that is designed to corrupt them and make them his sex slaves. (love status with princesses slightly easier to obtain, small bonus to chance of capturing a princess, slight penalty to troops due to focusing more on the slaves than the army)

Reminder: 'love status' with princesses will be achieved after breeding with them a certain number of times, after which they will produce elite troops.

Second option: The Provinces and Difficulty
How many countries should we use from the Risk map and how many turns until the princesses complete their banishing spell?

2:
A) Just Africa. I want a short game that resolves quickly.
-----1: Maximum 10 turns. Hard mode.
-----2: Maximum 13 turns. Medium.
-----3: Maximum 16 turns. Easy.

B) Africa and Europe. I want a longer game to be able to explore the characters and really feel like I'm conquering the world.
-----1: Maximum 30 turns. Hard.
-----2: Maximum 35 turns. Medium.
-----3: Maximum 40 turns. Easy.

C) Other. I want more countries to take over and I want the game to last a very very long time. Specify what type of map you want to use. We'll figure out difficulty later.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

1.) C
2.) B, but with more countries. Medium mode.

Last edited:

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

1.) C
2.) A, Easy mode.

Changed my vote. Quick games happening often means we can also hash out the combat system. What are you gonna use, Alias?

Last edited:

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

1) C
2) A, Easy. Short and quick game - you can always start a new one after the first finishes. But the first will be more likely to finish if it's short.

FireoftheMonkey

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

YOu still taking players for this little adventure. It sounds like alot of fun, hopefully this will help get past my writers block.

1. A
2. A, Easy Mode Lets get a test of the system in play before trying anything too crazy.

(opps totally forgot my votes)

Last edited:
OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Anybody is more than welcome to join at any time, just toss in your vote for the latest choice.

Taken, I think I'm going to use the SAME system you recommended to me. It would involve quite a bit of micromanagement because each country's troops would have to be a bit stronger the further away they are from the home province, but it seems to be a pretty useful and creative way to solve RPG combat. The only issue I have with it is that it seems designed for duels, or situations where the combatants are one vs. one. I've since adapted it to handle team battles, but I'm not sure if it's going to be balanced, as with the way I've implemented it, the more you outnumber your opponent, the likelihood of your success grows exponentially.

Anonymous #149

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

1.) D - Rance. Or, failing that, just go with C, since that's the majority.
2.) C, Easy Mode - I guess I could make a simple-looking map like that risk one, if you're interested. Oh, and short+easy mode for the first run to see if the game mechanics work.

Sounds interesting, IF you manage to pull this one off. One more thing - could another player be the AI? I always wanted to play "on the other side".

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

1.) D - Rance.
LOL.

I kind of wanted to use an original character that wasn't just ripped from another universe, but the idea of using Rance's personality in this time of game is simply golden, so I'll definitely take votes for this. I did mean to put an open-ended option D for character choice anyway.

As for AI, I'll leave it open as a possibility.

Still waiting for two or three more votes before I get the ball rolling.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

I'll jump on the bandwagon and vote C, A- Easy.

OP
A

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Archer bowed his head over the body in front of him. The princess' frail form was soaked in her own blood, and the stunningly beautiful man kneeling over her had his hands soaked in it. He was spattered in crimson, but none of it was his own.

"What's the matter, my prince?" came a silky voice from behind him. The sounds surrounding them began to reach his ears once more as that smooth voice cut through his grief. Stomping feet as his monstrous soldiers rushed past them. Cries of the civilians as his twisted offspring set up a defensive perimeter. Wails, roars, and piteous pleas of the wounded and dying.

He looked up at her, his eyes glazed over with tears. "This... is awful," he whispered in anguish. "I don't want this anymore," he said abruptly. "Take it back."

The woman speaking to him glared down. Her wings rustled against her back as she folded her arms over her ample breasts. "Even if I could take back the gift I've given you, I wouldn't," she retorted, anger sharpening her voice. "It's too late for you to back out now - the princesses are now aware of the return of the Demon King's power and they are even now researching the spell required to banish you to oblivion. You're past the point of no return, Archer - you can either spend the rest of eternity floating in limbo, driven mad by the void, or you can fight." Her voice softened. "I don't want to see you banished to the void," she murmured, extending one hand - sharp claws retracted as much as possible. "What do you say?"

He shook his head and reached up to take her hand, hoisting himself up. "Fine," he murmured, staring at the warrior-princess' body, slain at his own hand. "But I will not take part anymore. I'll give the army its orders, but I want to stay here."

The succubus cursed his weakness - she had given him enough power to take over the continent himself if he wished, but he was choosing not to use it. Still, she had known he was fragile, and as long as their growing army of twisted soldiers could handle it, she was fine with settling for that. "All right," she said gently, embracing the demonically influenced man. "All right."

A couple weeks later, they had dug into their new home, erecting defenses and bolstering their troops. Alara - for that was the name of the succubus - had been very busy birthing his spawn, the troops that made up his army. But she had not neglected her duties as second-in-command, either.

"We're at our maximum troop strength," she told him, spreading out a map of the continent on the table. "See this red country?" she asked, pointing to the northernmost border, one that was filled in with a dark red. "That's Akkad. We're here," she said, pointing to the capital on the map. "We can invade Uraj or Gyertza from here. We can also build up Akkad so we can hold more troops. What are your orders, my prince?"

Archer studied the map, pondering his options.

64 weeks until the banishing spell is complete.

Princesses:
Alara (Caster-type)
breeds 2 Caster minions. Caster minions are strong against infantry and weak against ranged foes.

Countries/Military:
Maximum food limit: 3
Akkad; 3 troops (caster)

Country = Food Limit = Name
1 = 3 = Akkad
2 = 5 = Uraj
3 = 4 = Gyertza
4 = 3 = Jat'lu
5 = 2 = Maklatl
6 = 5 = Kpunga
So country 1 on the map's name is Akkad and it has 3 food limit.

What will you do?
1: Invade. 4 weeks.
a) Uraj
b) Gyertza

2: Build up Akkad. Gain 1 extra food. 2 weeks.

(Breeding unavailable due to max food limit)