What's new

Tentacle Defense

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Tentacle Defense

<_< call me a sheep, I don't care. I kind of like getting things legitimately, if they're cheap enough.

Lurker
Reputation score

<_< call me a sheep, I don't care. I kind of like getting things legitimately, if they're cheap enough.
I prefer legit copies for a number of reasons, not least of which the fact that buying things is the most direct way to influence what is made.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I think I might have gotten an IT job at the local college so hopefully I'll be buying more of these products. Legitimacy is always better than piracy.... if you have the money for it! I guess it just depends on how much I get paid. Pretty much anything over $700/mo is spending/saving money for me =)

Also, I'll probably know whether or not I got the job within the week so I'll be able to update you on whether or not I'm fuzzy as a contributor to this (admittedly fantastic) idea.

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Alrighty, so back to the main topic here. While compiling my TF2 map yesterday, I spent some time discussing the workings of this game with Darent. Here's what we came up with:

First, I'll start by splashing everyone with a picture

Now, I'm going to explain this picture. Taking the concept from "Plants vs Zombies", the above grid represents the "battle field" so to speak. All of the white squares are locations where the player may potentially set a tower on; while the red squares are reserved for a little special something (I'll explain shortly). >3

Attacking units will approach from the right side and make their way to the left side. Once they are set on an available path (there are up to five rows, so five paths), they will continue to follow it until they are overwhelmed, or until they make it to the red square at the end of the path.

Now then, what are those Red squares? Well, here's the set up:

One day, on the beach, a simple sand castle was built and abandoned by the shore of the water. It didn't really look like much, and to any other demon looking for a host, was by far too fragile to be of any use; however one rather lustful demon eager to start his career deemed it worthy of its possession.

*BASHING!* And thus, a tentacle beast was born!

The monster knew it was too weak to take on the world at once, and it really needed to feed, so it began its search for a potential victim to launch his devious plans into action. He soon found a willing victim - a youthful and shapely female was testing the waters in what appeared to be her first bikini - she seemed rather self-conscious about the amount of flesh that was bare. So self absorbed in trying to avoid feeling embarrassed, she never realized what was about to snare her until it was too late. Freed of that evil two piece swim wear, and about to be violated, she shrieked in terror - though her cries were seemingly muffled as she didn't want to draw the entire beach to see her nude form.

The game begins, and on the red square is your prize - your first captured victim. As the round progresses, she will produce a small amount of "love juice" at regular intervals that will be used to create and set "towers" to defend yourself with. When an attacking unit succumbs to your towers, she will be drawn into your snare on the red square where she will be screwed with the rest of the fallen. The more girls you capture, the more love juices will be available for collection.

If any attacking units makes it to the red square, all of the girls will be freed from the snare, and will vanish from the field. If an attacking unit makes it across the field, and there is no snare, you can consider it a game over - especially at this stage of the game where all they have to do is walk on you to smush you into the ground.

At the end of the round, the captured victims will be released, and the monster will seek out his next meal. Constantly climaxing is a taxing experience, and I'm certain that our monster would not be interested in causing his meals to expire >3

So, for the first round, being a tutorial and all, there will be only one path available, and only one vic in the snare. The next round, three paths are available, and each red square has a vic snagged on them. Finally, on the third round, we'll open up the entire field.

Art staffers: Please use the above grid as a reference for how big your images should. I would also recommend looking at the screenshot Werwulf provided from Plants vs Zombies.

Questions? Comments? Boot to the head?

Last edited:

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

I haven't played the game, but can enemies move from a set path, like up or down squares, or diagonally? o.o

(I know I've been flaking out on that PM to you. I'm not sure I can do that much work and be satisfied with it. XD It's intimidating, I'm sorry!)

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Actually, in this style, there is primarily only one direction they will move, and that is to the left of the screen. If we decided to have units that move in the opposite direction (attack your defenses from behind), then there may be two directions involved. Doing it this way will significantly reduce your workload Wallpaper. :D

I know that it's a daunting task, and seemingly like a lot of work. To be honest, what I'm hoping to see from you are a few monster and female "concept" sketches that we can spread on the table, and then use them to delegate work off to the spriters.

How's that sound?

wallpaper

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh no, I meant -- while they're moving right to left, can they also move up and down before continuing across the screen? Or diagonally? Like... if one is moving at the top row from right to left, and there's a tower in the way, will they stop in front of that tower, or will they try to move around it?

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

They'll attack the tower. Once they're on a path, that's the only path they'll take. If a tower is in their way, they'll attack it.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Download the demo of PvZ and play it for a couple rounds if you haven't already, take you about five minutes, will demonstrate perfectly what he's trying to say. Can't say I'm wild about the idea (building intricate mazes is the most fun of TDs to me) but the concept will probably make up for it =-D

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

<- Go there to download the free demo. The demo expires after 60 minutes once the game is started, but that should be sufficient to give you an idea about the game play.

If you don't have Steam installed, the site will probably ask you to install it. Don't worry, it's perfectly safe - Steam is a gaming community app if you're not aware of what it is. You will need Steam to be able to play the demo though.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

So, is every round going to start with 1 girl on each red square, or will each round start with 1 girl only and the rest you have to capture (once you get past the first stage that has a fully opened field)?

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

The next round, three paths are available, and each red square has a vic snagged on them
So the former, I think. But it might make more sense to start out with one girl on one square per round, and capture more as you go - making beginning defense all the more important.

That brings up another question: by the first few levels we'll have five squares with sprites of tentacle rape. Are the sprites going to all be the same? Or different? If we have five different sprites (assuming animation) per level... phew. That's a lot of graphics work.

Maybe we just have one red square - after the attackers get past the last row they automatically go to that one square. Then we have different sprites based on how many girls we have. Example:

Level one. Monster is small. At first it only has one girl. After X number of girls fall to the defense, a second girl is added to the sprite - monster stays the same size.

Level two. Monster is slightly bigger than before. At first it only has one girl. After X number of girls fall, a second girl is added - once again, monster stays the same.

Level three. Monster continues to grow. Starts with one girl, then after X number of 'kills', two, and finally three.

The number of girls able to be raped by the same monster increases every level, two levels, or three levels depending on how many total levels we plan on doing. The monster grows (size, # of tentacles) through level iterations. Not in the middle of a level. This will make it easier on the graphics artists while simultaneously avoiding having five of the exact same sprite showing up on the screen, as well as holding a bit more true to our original idea.

Thoughts?

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Meh, I'll stick with my original idea of a vic on each Red square; however I do accept that the number of vics visible in the tentacle nests should be dependent on the number of girls that are captured. (ex: One row has captured 10 victims, now the nest shows up with two victims being raped).

Additionally, I do not feel any remorse in the thought of reusing the same graphics for each tentacle nest. Chances are, we will want the player to focus more on setting up their defense than fapping off to all of the different vics in the traps, haha. Don't sweat the details guys, let me manage that.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I know we want it so that you can capture more girls, I just meant what it was going to be like at the start of the level, one girl or one girl per square; the whole 'gotta capture more' was never an issue :p

ANYWAYS.

I think each girl 'type' should have it's own animation, i.e. all schoolgirls have a single animation, all beach-goers have a different one from schoolgirls that they all use, etc.
That, or each tower does a different rape animation that is common among all girls, i.e. tower A does animation 1 to all girls, tower B does animation 2 to all girls, etc.

I think the towers should grow by the player upgrading them with 'love juice' (I move we change the name, perhaps sexual energy?) instead of upgrading with the levels. Gives the player a little more control, IMO.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm gonna come in here again and tear down all your ideas (partly) by saying that we should make a VERY SIMPLE game at first, an alfa version so to speak, with as little animation as possible, just to test out the system... Trust me, It's much better to build the underlying mechanics and gradually add to them than having a huge game that never gets finished... All these ideas are great, but please wait until we have a core-mechanics-demo...

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I don't think anyone that's actually working on the project was going to go from scratch to full game o_O
Don't worry boy wonder, it'll go through testing before it becomes too far gone :p

OP
ScrewDriver

ScrewDriver

Lurker
Reputation score

Evidently, you weren't there when I was chatting with Darent, Wonderboy.

Also, since I haven't actually seen any code from any of the devs, I think it's fair for me to say that we've all been fapping off and blowing smoke out of our mouths rather than actually getting anything done. While I too am at fault for this, I still find it getting a bit more irritating as each person tries to change the flow of the direction I'm trying to set here.

1) It's already pretty obvious that we'll need to start off with a simple version - one from which we can copy and paste to generate more levels. That's a no-brainer.

2) We're no where near the stages of having ten million different animations, I know that. We're going to need someone to start drawing up a few concept sketches so the spriters have something to work with - or if the spriters are daring enough, they can go on ahead and try their hand at it.

3) There is no over complex underlying mechanics kiddo. There is no super amazing core. Since we're doing this in flash, the majority of the game is going to be heavily relying on movie clips. We just have to move them across the screen, and just fiddle with a few numbers. at most, we're looking at 100 lines of action script - most likely less. I could make the entire structure over the weekend - the only difficult part would be drawing all of the graphics.

What I expect to see in the demo is what I presented before hand - 5 levels in one area, all with the same type of vics and a small number of tentacle towers to work with.

If this sounds harsh or grates against what you want to do, then you can go off and work on your own project. I just want to start moving forward - in fact, once I take care of a few academic things, I'll get start working on this today.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

I bow down to the devs, as you are in charge, and I have the impression that at least screwdriver has made one or two flashes before:rolleyes:

I was mostly trying to stagger the flow of changes and suggestions from everyone else. The reason is I've seen this kind of project fail before, and that time, it was because the community (an off-branch halo fan forum...) kept adding and suggesting, this created "noise" for the devs and artists, as what they were going to make was constantly changing. Then we ended up with just some pieces of unfinished code and a few concept arts...

@devs
Since this is a forum dedicated to LineMarvel, I think if you disappeared for 6 months, came back and told us you were still considering the core mechanics of the game... We'd still forgive^^ so take your time and don't get bored of the project.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

(You do realise that by suggesting something to the devs, you yourself were contributing to the 'noise' you were worried about... Not to mention that the devs seemed to have a good idea of what's happening.)

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm still waiting on a way for all the devs to keep in touch with each other and make sure one isn't working on one thing while another is working on something else, thus leading to two versions. Integration of code is a bitch.

Did I miss that? I think I heard someone say MSN but I can't/won't use that (mac, ichat > msn)