What's new

xgkf

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Re: Tentacle Lair Escape!

The only problem is, CYOAs are not simply your story to do or take where you want on the fly. You, as the writer, ultimately decide what happens with any given decision that is made, yes, but the path the character takes in the story are not solely yours to determine, especially if you're writing the story on the fly as those choices are made.

I know you're aware of this, but they're called CYOAs because the acronym CYOA means "Choose Your Own Adventure", meaning that the decisions being made by the reader/voter are what determines the direction that the character(s) or story takes. When you scrap the decisions made by the reader/voter just because you suddenly realized that the story wasn't going the way you had originally intended (despite you, as the writer, ultimately taking it there with the aforementioned choices as your guide), it leaves those who had, in fact, been enjoying it spurned when they see their votes and choices literally no longer mattering.

The story becomes something that is not a CYOA at that point. It becomes your own narrative, and continuing to provide choices that no longer have any bearing on the outcome of the story becomes pointless and misleading to those involved. Now, if you want to simply write your own story with your own narrative, then by all means, go for it. If it's good it'll be read and liked. And if you simply felt burned out on the CYOA either story-wise or just lost interest, that's fine too, it happens. People will be disappointed that it's not continuing, but that's about it. But don't be surprised or angry when the readers of your CYOA get upset when they're suddenly only being given the illusion of choice, and are no longer choosing their own adventure.

OP
Serifyn

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score

look, i understand, but it was really either trying to change the direction of the story, or abandon it entirely, judging by the outrage which was transpired since, i must have made the wrong choice.

This_Is_My_Curse

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I can understand both sides of the arguements, so I'll just say what I have to and shut up.

Honestly, how upset people are with this is sort of a blessing in disguise, it obviously shows how much people liked the story and how invested they got into it. I personally liked how everything went, even to the end. Sure I would have enjoyed it if things had gone differently, but thats because the story was told so well. I'm sorry to see it having ended, but thanks for the trip, it was a lot of fun watching this story evolve. I hope you start up another CYOA soon.

Anyone who disagrees with me can politely take your arguements and throw them in the trash, this was based off of my own personal opinion, if you disagree, good for you.

OP
Serifyn

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score

thanks for the kind words.

the_taken

King of the Impossible
Reputation score

I kinda liked parts of this story, and some of the premise. Mind if I start another CYOA with the same setup?

OP
Serifyn

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score

its all you.

OP
Serifyn

Serifyn

Tentacle God
Reputation score