Status
Not open for further replies.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread New version

Why even bother at that point? The odds are so heavily stacked in S-man's favor. I'd say it's a pretty even fight between one of the silver age supes and Goku up to ssj3.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Why even bother at that point? The odds are so heavily stacked in S-man's favor. I'd say it's a pretty even fight between one of the silver age supes and Goku up to ssj3.
Ssj3 is actually a horribly-improvised evolution performed under time constraints. Even Vegeta lamented that the gain in overall fighting power becomes irrelevant when weighed against the energy drain. It's basically what him and Trunks did in ssj2 except on a shorter clock and wholly more unreliable. ssj Goku is actually faster than the base form since he did go through the process of acclimating himself to that form for a week, or longer. If we're going New 52 Superman vs SSGSSJ Goku, it's a really iffy contest because Goku could just spend time acclimating to that form and improving it. Hell, he went a step further with using Kaioken to improve the output because he could.

Nearly killed him, but still. I also feel like if you're going to include something silly like Supes lifting one-half eternity, you have to go a step further and include the canon(?) legend that when Goku and Vegeta left Earth, their fight continued on for centuries and the resulting exchanges of each strike created new galaxies. I mean, let's be honest here. How likely is it that Supes survives a galaxy-creating punch from Goku?

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Well I mentioned silver age for a reason, ya know? Hell, even bronze age or whatever they call it...

I'm just saying that if you roll all versions of supes together you have an implausibly overpowered character.

dragoon93041

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Isn't Superman supposed to be implausibly powerful? Injustice is a whole mini-series devoted that.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, heres the problem with comparing superman to anything: He has various writers. One lets him hold a small black hole in his hand, another lets him get knocked about by small fry, another turns him gay. So his power tiers, even in different timelines, struggle.

People often quote supermans feats out of context and to be clear, he is strong, thats the idea of him, that said, if you go with the premise of 'all da supermans' you also include Which makes for a boring fight.

In Dragonball its less of a question of how strong are you are and whom you can take and more of a question of where in the series you eventually land, because thats one of the few -consistently- written universes that, now with the gods, explores up to multiversal threat powerlevels in actual confrontation, starting the series off literally with a character that can tank, but get hurt by a bullet and ending with universal annihilation. It's also insanely powerful with casual planetbusting from all the main villains beginning with Picollo.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Z isn't where dragonball starts zeph :p

AnotherLurker

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

you have to go a step further and include the canon(?) legend that when Goku and Vegeta left Earth, their fight continued on for centuries and the resulting exchanges of each strike created new galaxies. I mean, let's be honest here. How likely is it that Supes survives a galaxy-creating punch from Goku?
Wait what?

Alright, I'm gonna have a little nerd moment here and explain something. You cannot create a galaxy with a punch. A galaxy is consisted of a giant cluster of stars orbiting a black hole.. Thus there are multiple factors involved in one existing.

It might be plausible to say they created black holes with their punches, but that wouldn't make a galaxy, since unless they were already close to an existing galaxy, said black hole would have no stars to collect around it.

It might be plausible to say they created a miniature "big bang" with their punches, but that would only create nebulae, and possibly a few baby stars. but that wouldn't make a black hole..

You could even go as far as to say their punches were so powerful that they made both, but that still wouldn't make a galaxy, it'd just make a small cluster of stars and nebula-gas which would immediately get sucked into the black hole, which would then sit there alone..

As for superman surviving that, superman is an invulnerable character.. He's the guy a 10 year old makes when invited to a D&D session for the first time, and was asked "what kind of character do you want to make?".

You can't justify superman's power with logic, he's just immortal, and all-powerful, because that's what superman is. The only reason he occasionally dies, is the same reason a wrestler takes a dive.. To give a little drama.

Those who think goku can defeat superman, just don't understand superman. He's the fictional character equivalent of a hacker, or a system admin.. You just
don't beat him, ever.. Not unless you've been given a special little permission slip by the company who made him.

To quote DB itself "Super man is as strong as he needs to be".. They weren't being humble when they said that, they meant it in a literal term. He is literally as strong as he needs to be. If he doesn't need to be strong, ie taking a dive for drama, he won't be.. If he needs to be strong enough to beat a foe, he will be.. His power really is just basically set on a dial that ranges from "can mostly easily lift a car" to "infinity times infinity".

Last edited:

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Wut

And

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I think you're missing the point of the discussion, which is that DB didn't include one version of Superman (and kindly, don't assume that Silver Age-Present are all "one version"), but all the powers and such from all the other versions from other writers. As Pervy already pointed out, you can't really put a character from Dragonball against a character from another franchise with multiple continuities and then loophole in "well, this version of my super-franchise character has the powers from previous versions." You're basically the attention-seeking asshat at a DnD table that quickly gets kicked.

Also, I've noticed a lack of Stuffie. This is disconcerting.

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

Oh god not this thing...

Let me tell you how energy blocking works in Dragon Ball. When Goku needs to block something like a bullet, he has to actually regulate his energy like he does when he's in a fight. When he has his guard down however, he doesn't regulate that energy, meaning he is venerable to attacks that wouldn't normally phase him, like the bullet giving him a rash-thing and like Sorbet's blaster almost killing him. This is why he is criticized by Whis constantly to not relax as much as he does.

Yoshiiki

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

You do not make sense of it, in the motherland it makes sense of you! ;)

And yea, where is Stuffie, the lack of fluffy ears is unsettling...

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

He is still normally near bulletproof.
My theory on that is that he already had to suppress his energy so low to not kill the bandits, that when he let his guard down with his already suppressed energy it lowered his power level enough to where he could get grazed by the bullet.

OP
Zepheral

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Would be in line with what Vegeta did in the Freeza saga when he asked Krillin to blast him.
Are you guys still on about this? Do I need to link the VS battles wiki and the Rule 34 for Dragonball?

Heres how this goes, on a meta-level. The story of Dragonball is 'git gud', Gohan being the prime example, but compare Krillin and Master Roshi. Krillin, past Cell-time when he was at least Ginyu force level mind you, when becoming an ordinary policeman and family man rather than fighting all day had to genuinly fear bullets, which Roshi, same one that feared and died against old Picollo in the original DB, caught in his hands with casual ease.

The being hurt by a bullet was Gokus wakeup call to go back to training, thats DB's theme you train, you fight, you get better, you can't lose as long as you keep fighting.
Supermans story is the opposite, his base level is restrained, (lets ignore the solar flare, no not that one in new writing), he shakes your hand, he squishes it to mush.

Status
Not open for further replies.