Mystic Girl
Reputation score

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The Reputation Hilarity/Insanity thread New version

I don't know the exact wording in other editions, but at least in 3.5 you don't get XP for defeating enemies. You get XP for overcoming encounters, which this trick definitely accomplishes.

But a portable hole costs 20k and bags of holding aren't cheap either. Oh, and you won't get any loot the enemy had on their person, either. So you really, really only want to do the trick in emergencies. And by the time you can afford to use it without breaking the bank, anything you'd really need to make go away has a fair chance of having access to planeshift or similar abilities.
As I said first couple of times sure, let 'em have fun with it. But really I view it as avoiding the encounter, the same as if the party had fled, they've just found a loophole that forces the mobs to 'flee'.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As I said first couple of times sure, let 'em have fun with it. But really I view it as avoiding the encounter, the same as if the party had fled, they've just found a loophole that forces the mobs to 'flee'.
What he tries to say is that repeated victories with the same method yield diminishing returns experience points wise as you fail to overcome the challenge, you just circumvent it.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Getting the monster to flee or otherwise finding a way to avoid it is a very good way of solving an encounter unless killing said monster is the goal of the adventure. Well, unless the monster reappears to cause more problems somewhere along the way.

Just saying "You get no XP because you didn't solve the encounter the RIGHT way" is not a very good solution. There are plenty of other ways to make it come bite them back in the ass(gloves of arrow snaring, anyone?) and spending hundreds of thousands of gold pieces should be enough of a punishment without XP penalties.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Getting the monster to flee or otherwise finding a way to avoid it is a very good way of solving an encounter unless killing said monster is the goal of the adventure. Well, unless the monster reappears to cause more problems somewhere along the way.
In the specific instance either violence or cunning would be required. Not 'hurr arrow of forced teleport without saving throw' . Which actually happens to be the main complaint I'd have with it, I'd bitch if a monster got to pull shit on PC's without any saves and I know many other players would as well.

I feel at this point I should mention that I would talk with my players and explain my stance on it's use (though I'd not reveal my master plan), and that at the end of the day I'm the one putting most of the work in here trying to create a challenging and fun adventure for them. Granted there is a spirit of adversarial-ness to the relationship between a GM and their players, and knee-jerk reaction is typically going to be 'no fuk u!' We are all still trying to have fun right?

Just saying "You get no XP because you didn't solve the encounter the RIGHT way" is not a very good solution.
I've never had a DM that felt they needed to justify to the players why they got the XP they did. Granted that may change after several sessions without any being awarded.

There are plenty of other ways to make it come bite them back in the ass(gloves of arrow snaring, anyone?) and spending hundreds of thousands of gold pieces should be enough of a punishment without XP penalties.
I assume that players who've come up with such an exploit know to aim at the square instead of the creature as it has a rather low AC. And again I don't view the lack of XP as a punishment or penalty really, the situation is the same as if they'd seen a group of mobs from a distance and steered clear of them. The didn't do anything to gain XP, I'd just be humoring them the first couple of times they did it.

All of which is beside the point because in a typical campaign you won't be getting strong enough to fight any of the deities that might be miffed the PC's have been punching holes through dimensional walls all willy-nilly. Let them get to level 15 if you want, I do think that's a little more cruel though.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I believe most GM's aren't the typical "you don't play my way I kill you all...create your own game you scrubs!" type of elitist draco-douche...it's nice to see players make creative ways to "circumvent" any challenges dropped by the said GM provided they are not being a draco-douche themselves...

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Most circumventing I've encountered was the sorcerer going "Okay, I teleport everyone across/behind the obstacle."
And that one time we encountered a huge chasm and realized that everyone in the group had their own method of flight they could use so we just flew over it

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

I believe most GM's aren't the typical "you don't play my way I kill you all...create your own game you scrubs!" type of elitist draco-douche...it's nice to see players make creative ways to "circumvent" any challenges dropped by the said GM provided they are not being a draco-douche themselves...
As a DM currently concentrating on other parts of his life, I've done both the railroad approach and the "let the players do what they want" approach. I've also sat in on sessions with other DM's and have seen a net positive response from players when they weren't limited to just the story itself, even if it was a hardcover adventure. Spider's signature pretty much says it best.

Most circumventing I've encountered was the sorcerer going "Okay, I teleport everyone across/behind the obstacle."
And that one time we encountered a huge chasm and realized that everyone in the group had their own method of flight they could use so we just flew over it
Or wait for a group of enemies to surround a teammate and then cast fireball at them, either nuking the enemies and nearly killing the teammate, or nearly killing the enemies and downing the teammate. Either way, you've gained a tactical advantage in that fight.

arpaschad

Demon Girl
Reputation score

As a DM currently concentrating on other parts of his life, I've done both the railroad approach and the "let the players do what they want" approach. I've also sat in on sessions with other DM's and have seen a net positive response from players when they weren't limited to just the story itself, even if it was a hardcover adventure. Spider's signature pretty much says it best.

I've read spider's sig and since it mentions Monty Python references, did you guys make a game based on the Monty Python world already? you know with the Holy hand grenades, knights of nii the whole shebang? I imagine it would be chaotic as fuck but the fun is making coherence of all the chaos in there and having fun...

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Or wait for a group of enemies to surround a teammate and then cast fireball at them, either nuking the enemies and nearly killing the teammate, or nearly killing the enemies and downing the teammate. Either way, you've gained a tactical advantage in that fight.
My character is basically build around doing this
Charge+alpha strike damage one important target in the middle of the enemies
Get surrounded and hope the high AC and HP holds
Then get fireballed and succeed the reflex because it's a dex build

Bonus points for being able to fly and thus being ABOVE the group of enemies, which means they need to be flying and above me to flank me

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

My character is basically build around doing this
Charge+alpha strike damage one important target in the middle of the enemies
Get surrounded and hope the high AC and HP holds
Then get fireballed and succeed the reflex because it's a dex build

Bonus points for being able to fly and thus being ABOVE the group of enemies, which means they need to be flying and above me to flank me
Why haven't your casters taken the feat that allows them to exclude friendly targets from AOE spells?

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Too busy picking feats that allow them to do more damage/have more spells

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Pathfinder actually has a feat for that. You get a free intimidate attempt against enemies whenever you damage a teammate with your spells, provided both of you have the feat in question.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Pathfinder actually has a feat for that. You get a free intimidate attempt against enemies whenever you damage a teammate with your spells, provided both of you have the feat in question.
In 5e, the DM can choose whether rolling intimidation during combat is a bonus action or not. Most go with it being "battle banter", and a bonus action as a result. It's sort of a weird "do we really count that as your action for a turn" type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.