What's new

The Rescue of Mermaids [Free Demo]

turaga008

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: The Rescue of Mermaids [Free Demo]

Looks so crisps and plays nice, promising!

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

The demo window is extremely tiny. Is there anyway to maximize the window? (NVM I just fixed it)

Also immediate death when in contact with the boss is extremely annoying... Also why do I keep randomly dying after the falling rocks bit?

How do you even injure the crab girl? Her moves are way too fast and have no warning.

Last edited:

Aligator

Reputation score

Ei, um brasileiro fazendo um jogo hentai! E um que parece bom ainda por cima!

Isso é ótimo! Meus parabéns! Te desejo boa sorte com esse projeto, meu chapa!

---

Hey, a brazillian making a hentai game! And a good looking one at that!

This is great! Congratulations! I wish you good luck with this project, pal!

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Also immediate death when in contact with the boss is extremely annoying... Also why do I keep randomly dying after the falling rocks bit?
When the rocks hit the ground, they... bounce, while disintegrating. The problem is these rocks can still pretty much kills you until they're fully disintegrated, so stay away from the ground, until the boss shoots her projectiles, that's usually the moment when every single rocks has been completely disintegrated.

How do you even injure the crab girl? Her moves are way too fast and have no warning.
The Crab Girl is a Puzzle Boss, you just need to survive until she's vulnerable and a QTE will appear.

Actually, every single move of Crab Girl can be anticipated and easily avoided:
-Look at the direction where she's opening her pincer, that's where she's going to launch her "extendable pincer attack". Just stay on the ground, she never launch her pincers there.
-She will always do the pincer attacks three times before going to the side to launch the "BulletHell". Quickly land on her "top", it's safe, and literally the only safespot during that Bullethell.

After you master these tricks, Crab Girl will quickly become easier than the first boss.

I had actually posted the tricks to ease the boss fights in my previous post. You could take a look at that if you wish.

Last edited:

ThatWeirdGuyWithaWeirdHat

The Gentleman Thief
Reputation score

When the rocks hit the ground, they... bounce, while disintegrating. The problem is these rocks can still pretty much kills you until they're fully disintegrated, so stay away from the ground, until the boss shoots her projectiles, that's usually the moment when every single rocks has been completely disintegrated.

The Crab Girl is a Puzzle Boss, you just need to survive until she's vulnerable and a QTE will appear.

Actually, every single move of Crab Girl can be anticipated and easily avoided:
-Look at the direction where she's opening her pincer, that's where she's going to launch her "extendable pincer attack". Just stay on the ground, she never launch her pincers there.
-She will always do the pincer attacks three times before going to the side to launch the "BulletHell". Quickly land on her "top", it's safe, and literally the only safespot during that Bullethell.

After you master these tricks, Crab Girl will quickly become easier than the first boss.

I had actually posted the tricks to ease the boss fights in my previous post. You could take a look at that if you wish.
Thanks for this. It's just frustrating to die to one cheap shot from the crab girl and then have to restart the level. I swear that stupid clam thing killed me more times than the crab did...

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Thanks for this. It's just frustrating to die to one cheap shot from the crab girl and then have to restart the level. I swear that stupid clam thing killed me more times than the crab did...
Ah i knew what you mean. I too am confused as to what is exactly the trigger for that instant death trap. I usually tries to not let Garry's sprite entirely inside that Gaping Fish/Clam(?). At least that's how i did it.

Last edited:

thinien

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

If you mean that purple clam that has a star above it, if you're quick enough to jump up in the water as you descend, you won't die.

chozen

Demon Girl
Reputation score

how many animations in this demo i just did the two bosses, but what about the one mermaid girl you save, can we do anything?

Inspector_Whatsup

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

So, I didn't find the time to try it out until now, and what I played was certainly not what I expected, but still pretty good.

I found the animation to be very pretty, and as I said before, I really like the pixel style! The general visuals so far are a bit bland in regards to level design and enemy/obstacle variety, but that has time to progress with later revisions.

The sound design irritated me at first, but grew on me rather quickly. The few songs kinda reminded me of this slightly eerie atmosphere some GameBoy games unintentionally had due to their design, but not in a creepy way, and I grew fond of the songs very quickly. I'll just go ahead and assume you'll add more tracks to the game as it progresses, so that's another thing to look forward to.

The gameplay was unusual to me at first, but only took a bit getting used to before it opened up to me. The level layout so far worked very well with the slightly slippery controls, and it emulates that underwater feeling well enough without becoming frustrating. A bit more precision wouldn't be bad (like, for example a "Float" button that slows you down so you can more precisely maneuver in tight situations), but as of yet, only the second boss actually posed some issues with regards to the controls.

Design-wise, the game picks up in difficulty a bit too suddenly for my taste, but that may very well just be me. Still, I found the first boss to be a bit luck-based, as simply being in the wrong spot during the rockfall attack could dictate your death with out a chance to dodge (maybe I missed some sort of trick there, though). The second boss was fairly easy once the trick dawned on me, but until then, the stage is more irritating than it needs to be, since a single mistake means starting over the entire level, and that just sucks when you try out what might work. A bigger window for getting in position (and maybe a small hint at the beginning, like a small creature escaping from the "safe spot" before the fight begins, could be a sufficient nod) would be very much appreciated on my end.

Sorry for the wall of text. But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your game finished eventually. I'm seeing loads of potential here, and I can hardly wait to try my hands at the full game!

Fenril

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Looks good. Really like the art style.

64-bit processors have been commonly available at the consumer level since 2003, and have been pretty much standard since 2006. What kind of machine are you running?
He's running a "shoot-yourself-in-the-foot" machine on ToasterOS2000.

Also, I'm offended that this game caters to people with one of those newfangled "keyboard" thingies. OP is really losing out on the no-keyboard-user market.
I'm using a computer that's capable of running 95% of the programs in the world that aren't 64-bit like 95% of the PC users in the world.

I swear to god, Win64 elitists are the new Mac elitists....

Last edited:

Polul

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Drop it. 64-bit apps are not a problem anymore. The steam survey for June 2017 tells us that 64-bit OS adoption is now above 90% and rising. I'm fairly sure you will be among them too after your next OS upgrade, whenever that may be, unless you're clinging to 32-bit OS for personal reasons.

Really nice-looking game btw. Interest piqued.

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Excuse me, is the demo supposed to have any sounds? Cuz the one i have don't have any (neither SFX or BGM) and now i'm not sure because Inspector_Whatsup just commented on the sound design a page back.

I swear to god, Win64 elitists are the new Mac elitists....
ಠ_ಠ
Honestly to me you are the one who sounds like an elitist, a Win32 elitist.

"It can't be played on 32! It's TRASH!"

Last edited:

anonya

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

How do I change the window size?

chozen

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Uhh, What you said there was sound, and music? I didn't hear anything my whole playthrough and I restarted a few times :confused:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Uhh, What you said there was sound, and music? I didn't hear anything my whole playthrough and I restarted a few times :confused:
Mine doesn't have sounds too. I am convinced that that is just how it is considering this is still a demo, but then Inspector_Whatsup said this:
The sound design irritated me at first, but grew on me rather quickly. The few songs kinda reminded me of this slightly eerie atmosphere some GameBoy games unintentionally had due to their design, but not in a creepy way, and I grew fond of the songs very quickly. I'll just go ahead and assume you'll add more tracks to the game as it progresses, so that's another thing to look forward to.
Is that just a sarcasm on Inspector_Whatsup's part, or is there something i'm missing?

kvier

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Briefly, a speaker icon shows up in the opening animation, and you can toggle sound at that point.

I can't figure out how to turn it back off, though.

Razeluxe

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

on my 11th attempt at the first boss. To say I'm getting frustrated is an understatement. That ceiling drop attack is so god damn annoying. At times I feel that there's no gap to actually escape from it. Other times I'll get hit when it's disintegrating because I couldn't actually see it anymore. Other times it'll hit the ground and bounce right into me. Absolutely livid.

Looks good though.

Edit: Right after posting this, I beat it without any problem. so you know, there's that.

Edit 2: If you stay to the left of Crab girl when it walks towards the wall before shooting, it pushes you through the wall.

Last edited:

AGamerPassingBy

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Briefly, a speaker icon shows up in the opening animation, and you can toggle sound at that point.

I can't figure out how to turn it back off, though.
Oh dear, i totally missed that! Thanks kvier! :)

Should have been viable from the option in the first place tho. :p

Last edited:

newgroundsluvr

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

For those of you stuck on the first boss there is a relative "safe" spot for the falling rocks. If you go under, behind her, then up a bit I was able to avoid the rocks. If you're quick enough you can get back to the front of her so you can dodge the energy balls.

Another tip: an easy way to dodge the balls is to drop down to the lowered ground in front of her then weave left and right. This also puts you into a good position to immediately go the safe spot described above and ink her during the down time between attacks.

I'm stuck on the crab girl. It's way too hard for me to stay in between that small gap when she spams the energy balls.