What's new

The stars aren't right!(Helena/Courage Wolf)

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Are the stars right?(Helena/Courage Wolf)

"That's the danger of using summoned creatures. Sometimes they get out of control." Hilbert replies. "As for who... well, I don't know, obviously, but there have been rumours about the opera hiring a mage to help with the special effects of their next rumours. Unlikely to matter, now, if that's what happened he probably died in the fire."

"The guard, it seems, may have been under some kind of charm. The rebels, if such a grand term is suited for them, seem to have someone with such abilities." Erast puts in, still studying Helena. Deidree, meanwhile, has finished with the mirror. "Alright, Helena. I have a simple spell that might allow us to shed light on some of the questions you have about yourself. Will you let me cast it on you?"

Courage Wolf

The Admin who is Raid Boss
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena wondered what Erast was staring at and pondered eating him at some point before Deidree finished with her fiddling, asking to use a spell. Turning to her, Helena shrugged. We can try. Honestly I just hope the answers don't lead to more confusing questions... She said, wondering what spell Deidree was going to use. Meanwhile she kept a mental eye on Erast, wondering what he was feeling right at this moment. She was fairly confident in this closed space she could kill them all, but that wasn't her job here...

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Erast seems thoughtful and a little suspicious, as if Helena was a puzzle for him to solve. Not that he fails to notice her beauty, either...

Deidree focuses on the mirror. Unlike other mages Helena has met, she does not speak or gesture, but merely concentrates. For a moment, the surface of the mirror shimmers as if about to form an image... then Deidree slumps back in her chair. "Nothing. It seems that I can't read you today."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena shrugs and sighs. You aren't the first. Sorry Deidree. She said. She had been curious about the mirror. Ahh well. Well, that didn't pan out. What's on the docket today...
Night... Period of time from the beginning and end of this joining of people.
she said, stumbling over the sentence a little though it was hard to tell if it had been intentional or not.

Leaning back in her chair, she made a small globe of colored light spin around over the surface of the table, changing as it approached each person.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Well, we still have a mystery to solve," Andre replies joyfully. "Deidree's failure just means we'll have to do it the hard way. You've said that you've done these things always... when was the first time you talked to someone telepathically? Can you tell us a little bit about that?" Deidree shyly slips the little mirror back into her robes and brings out a scorched piece of bone, making several more lights play above the table.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sure, the first time Someone spoke to me first,
I was younger then and had no idea. And after that it was as easy as breathing.
she said, shrugging. It was the same with a lot of other things. But we parted ways not too long ago and well...
I never asked the right questions. Now that I'm on my own...
she said, fidgeting, before looking around. I want to know more. she said, managing to Miraculously not say a single untrue thing in the entire exchange.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Someone spoke to you first... someone like you?" Erast asks. "How did that come about? What happened? And how old were you?" Deidree continues fidgeting with the bone, while the others are now fully focused on Helena.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

No she wasn't like me, but she taught me a good amount of magic she knew. I was 24? 25? It's been awhile. She was a very good friend and I miss her. Helena answered, sidestepping parts of the question Very Carefully. Jasmine HADN'T been like her then. But she was now. But he hadn't asked that. Helena meanwhile didn't immediately go into what had happened, seeming to pause. After we met we traveled together. We were different though, that was pretty clear in a lot of ways. Her Feather Wings were one, and she could use stronger magic. Helena continued, cherrypicking and fidgeting a little blushing.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Feathered wings, telepathy, can use powerful magic. That ought to be enough to get us started. Anything like that in one of your books, Deidree?" Andre asks. Deidree frowns and stops fidgeting. "I... don't think so. There are harpies and some... things from beyond, but I can't think of anything telepathic."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena deflated a little when Deidree said she couldn't think of anything telepathic that matched Helena's intentionally skewed portrait. I'm regretting not asking her more questions. But she wasn't the same as me. Helena said, again Abusing the fuck out of the past tense in the sentence.
She's a bit out of reach now. But books? Helena asked, perking up.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"A shapeshifter, then? Maybe she doesn't actually look like Helena thinks she does." Erast points out while Deidree shrugs. "What I have is on the shelves. Knock yourself out, my collection isn't particularly valuable. You can even borrow one, if you want to."

"Shapeshifting. Can you confirm that she wasn't a shapeshifter, Helena? That would be quite helpful." André asks.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena shook her head back and forth. She could hide her wings but she never changed her appearance much. Jasmine helped me when no one else could. I look up to her like family. Helena said, blushing sharply before moving to the books, starting to browse, looking for the odd book on architecture, as wall as any texts for the Mandrigorian Azalin had asked her to collect. Or was it the Manticore Bean.... Mandy Sommat. It was a weird fucking name, she'd know it when she saw it.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Neither the tomes of the Madrigorian, nor books of higher architecture are found on these shelves. There are, however, a number of diaries, books on spirits and the occult, a tome regarding Charokka - whatever that is - several books on magical theory, and a pair that seems to be spellbooks.

"So she did change her appearance, then." Erast points out. "She may not have revealed the full extent of her abilities to you."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I suppose that's true. Yes, she did change her appearance. How far can a shapeshifter Usually alter how they look? Helena asked, turning to look at Erast even as she scooped up a spellbook curiously. Deidree, what's Charokka? she asked as well, even as she opened the spell book, disappointed in not finding the books she needed immediately, but happy to find any books on magic to dig through. At the moment however it was more important to continue to dance around the questions without revealing too much. She couldn't reveal that SHE was a shapeshifter. That would be potentially disastrous.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"It varies. Some can take almost any shape, others are far more limited." Andre replies, looking speculative. The book seems to have belonged to a wizard of rather limited talents, but it still has nearly two dozen spells of different schools scribed to it.

"Oh, it's a form of divination practised by the Vistani. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be particularly precise."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I met Vistani, they were... Wonderful people. Helena said, smiling softly at those memories as she flipped through the spells available, returning to her seat with the book as she sifted. So really... If some shapeshifters are limited, and others are not.... You can't ever really be sure, unless you see the height of what they can do, assuming they choose to do so. And without that there's no real way to tell which shapeshifter it is you're possibly dealing with... Which is less then helpful. Helena said, deflating a little bit. At least on the exterior. Inside she was giggling as she flipped through the pages looking for something useful. She was limited at the moment herself in her talents and was looking to grow...

But it also feels like we're not getting very far with me and that's a little depressing... What does this group usually do? I'm curious,
while I don't mind being the center of attention for a bit it's getting a little embarrassing.
she said, blushing and making as if to hide her face behind the book despite her voracious reading.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Oh, but our search is just beginning. The number of shapeshifting creatures is not very large, and I should think that few of them can use telepathy so adeptly, and yet fewer can use magic." Hilbert replies encouragingly while Helena browses the spellbook.

"Oh, we work on whatever mystery we have at hand. If we have any new spells, we sometimes try them out. And of course, we just enjoy each others' company as well." Deidree says.

Spells in the book:
All (normal)cantrips except enchantment and transmutation
1st level
Floating Disk
Burning Hands
Gentle Breeze
Magic Missile
Hydraulic Push
Endure Elements
Shield
Mage Armor
Snowball
Identify
Silent Image

2nd level
Burst of Radiance
Darkness
Scorching Ray
Frostfall
Protection from Arrows
Resist Energy
Create Pit
Invisibility
Mirror Image
Ghoul Touch

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Seeing several spells that caught her eye, the very first was basic, and important. Because she'd tried wearing armor and she always just ruined it. She poured herself into the basic spell Mage Armor and began to commit it to memory, footnoting several others for later. There are some useful spells in this book.... And some that just seem annoying. Why would you want to create a giant burst of light? she asked, raising an eyebrow even as she continued to work on that single spell to improve her defenses. She had found out Repeatedly that her agility would only take her so far and she needed to improve in this area or risk being killed by simple means.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Could be handy if you're dealing with creatures that don't like bright lights, for instance." Hilbert replies, while Deidree and Erast start debating what kind of shapeshifter Jasmine could be. That debate doesn't seem like it would reach a conclusion very quickly.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sure but I mean... you could make a simple device to do that without much trouble, and there are other ways of generating bright light without resorting to something like magic... Helena said, still studying the book. I mean.... most monsters can be dealt with in mundane ways... drop a rock on anything and it will smush to some degree... Traveling has been unpleasant at times. Helena said, tapping a finger on the table, causing little goblyns to rush around her hand, doing a dance in time with the beat. While they discussed Jasmine, Helena closed the book and set it down. I want to study and learn all of these spells. And any others we have available that I can. But if we have flaming figures running around torching things... is this little meeting group safe? Nova Vaasa was bad... I don't want a repeat... she said, looking around like a witch hunting group was nearby.