What's new

The stars aren't right!(Helena/Courage Wolf)

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: Are the stars right?(Helena/Courage Wolf)

"Well..." Deidree hesitates. "That's not going to be free. Not to be rude, but as I'm sure you understand, wizards generally guard their spellbooks quite well."

Andre chuckles. "Oh, you don't need to worry about that kind of thing. Most people here can barely tell the difference between a mage and a street performer - no offence meant, of course."

Courage Wolf

The Admin who is Raid Boss
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Are the stars right?(Helena/Courage Wolf)

Do They? Helena asked, raising an eyebrow curiously. And why? Magic is magic I mean if you watch carefully you can sometimes just figure out a spell being used... Helena said before going through the motions and turning herself invisible, sitting there and continuing to talk. What I've got has just been piecemeal, taught by others or picked up on the wind watching...
Some in books. I've never owned a personal spellbook... They're all up here.
Helena said, tapping her head, having to light up her finger to show the motion.

Letting the spell fade, Helena shrugged again. Why guard spells of all things? Helena asked, sounding truly ignorant of the topic because... she'd never really encountered it.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score
Re: The stars aren't right!(Helena/Courage Wolf)

"Because they only see the tricks. Turning yourself invisible is quite a neat trick, but not really comparable to setting a house on fire, for example. At least, not in the minds of most." Andre replies.

Deidree seems... surprised. "You mean... you don't have a spellbook yourself? They're quite hard to replace - and expensive, too, in both time and money. Surely you know this yourself, since you can copy spells from them?"

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena gave Deidree a slightly blank look Umm......
aren't they just like any other book? A collection of pages with information on them? A book on how to bake bread is basically a spellbook for a baker....
they're instruction manuals... All of my spells are memorized I can... turn invisible for a little while, or a long while... I can douse someone in water make spider's silk, put people to sleep, make rope move how I want move small objects etc etc. Nothing super... dangerous just... handy. Especially invisibility, and Sleep...
Trouble comes often when you travel and it's nice to be able to run away...
she said, blushing, wriggling a bit. So....
I guess no. I've never had one. I find one I like and I memorize it and learn it and then.... Well, I've never forgotten all that much...
she said, looking even more embarrassed that she didn't know how important the books were.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Andre and Deidree exchange looks. "Well. THAT is certainly unusual." Deidree says. "Most spellcasters either have their spellbooks and need it to prepare spells every morning, or have no use for spellbooks at all. How do you prepare your spells?"

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena tilted her head confused. What do you mean?
prepare? I just.... use them until I'm tired...
Helena said, trying to hide her face inside the book, blushing true scarlet now. Is that weird? Why is that weird? she asked, very confused.

Eyes spinning a little she looked around at all of them I just remember what I read and do and then... do it... Takes me about a day to learn something basic... invisibility took me almost 3 days to memorize... she said, squirming... You're all making me nervous.... what's wrong? she asked, even in her own world preparing spells was unheard of. Rituals were not, but preparing spells? What?

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Deidree and Andre exchange another look before Andre answers. "Most people either just know their spells or need a spellbook or prayer to prepare them. The fact that you need a spellbook to learn spells but don't need to prepare them is... most peculiar."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well... I can learn spells I've seen if I get lucky and understand them. And other people can just teach me them... That's how I learned the better invisibility spell. But no, I don't need to prepare anything.
But I don't just... KNOW spells. I need to study them for a time.
she said. some of these would take a day, some two.
Who knows. But... once I have it puzzled out I never forget it... Forget I KNOW it sometimes because you know... Panic... but... I never forget a spell...
or a face... or a name...
she said slowly. The last people who didn't like me tried to burn me at the stake... she said, meaning the boat people she'd pissed off. But instead letting the sentence be more directed towards her mentioning of Nova Vaasa.

I could learn all the spells in this book, without ever copying anything, and give it back... and know every spell here... she muttered, sliding the book towards Deidree.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Well, that's a mystery if I've seen one... I think I'll have to actually check the library to see if there's anything like this mentioned there." Andre says, clearly intrigued. Deidree takes the book and puts it back on the shelf.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena fidgeted a bit before standing up and looking towards the door. Should I leave? she asked, finding it annoyingly easy to fake facial expressions and tint her voice with emotion. She was getting good at that part at least. She wanted the damned spell book. But... She needed these people to think no matter how strange she was, that she was for the most part completely harmless.

That was the most important part. They COULD NOT Associate her with a Fiend, or the figure that arson'd the city.

I can read your emotions. I already KNOW I'm strange.... And I can use magic and now that's apparently strange. And Jasmine the woman who saved me several times and took me in is strange and it's all strange. And then there was that strange mirror. What does that thing even do? she asked, looking like she was about to make a dash for the door like a scared rabbit.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Oh, sit down." Andre says, sounding a bit annoyed. "You wouldn't even be here if you weren't at least a little strange. And it would be quite poor manners to leave without at least giving us a fair chance to solve the puzzle you've given us."

Deidree shrugs. "It's just a focus I use for casting some spells. I don't use a spellbooks either, I just... associate the spells I know with different foci."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena looked down before slipping back into her chair fidgeting, letting them... SOLVE the puzzle. Right. Good fuckin luck. Even Van Richten's work on fiends had been WAY off the mark in a lot of ways.

sighing she looked around and just stayed quiet for now. she'd given them enough to pick at for awhile and she was here. This group was pretty harmless if all they did was what they said they did. But... spy, she needed more then that.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The four magic users start debating whether Helena is a witch, a wizard or some kind of weird user of psionic powers. They seem to be more interested in what kind of weird spellcasting she does than what kind of creature she or Jasmine are. It was strange to see these four as members of some kind of secret society.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

As far as Helena was concerned this was more like an after school study group, they were just a group of friends who were chatting about things and were more interested in why her magic was different as opposed to what exactly she was. She smiled despite herself. Scooping the book back up, she opened it again and starting reading, focusing on the spell she'd found to raise her own defenses. Mage Armor it was called apparently.

She only paid moderate attention at the moment and figured if they were up to anything spectacularly shady it would take her time to learn it all. For now all she could do was play the part and learn where she could. Let this situation benefit her to the best of her abilities.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The debate rages back and forth, but ultimately everyone agrees that there wasn't enough to say one way or another until Andre could consult the library. "How do you like our little group so far, Helena?" Hilbert asks as there is a lull in the conversation.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Helena looked up from the book and smiled as she was addressed. It's... very relaxing, to be around anyone who talks about this without people getting nervous or in a very persecution mood.
I like it.
she said, grinning from ear to ear, keeping place in the book with her finger. Deidree, I want to teach myself this spell.... What would you need to let me borrow it? she asked, wondering what she wanted. At the very least that one spell would be valuable and she'd seen several others that would also be useful to have.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Deidree shrugs. "According to the society rules, the payment is 5 solars for copying a spell of first circle by outsiders. I wouldn't mind charging less, but rules are rules."

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

So... that's 15 for these... What about these two?
These sound really useful if fires are cropping up. Especially this one....
Helena said, pointing out Frostfall and Create Pit.

Either way Deidree immediately got her 15 solars for Mage Armor, Shield, and Identify. And likely the payment for the other two provided it wasn't obscene. Regardless Helena flailed about for paper and ink or pens or pencils or SOMETHING to copy the spells so she could learn them. The others in the book could be useful but not as useful as the 5 she wanted to copy. And only one of them had Obvious combat applications.

I would imagine It'll take about a week to learn all of these and memorize them... IF I could devote my full attention. So... copy and learn as I can. she muttered, humming to herself as she copied the spells for later to learn.

OP
Hentaispider

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Spells of second circle are twenty solars. And don't worry about copying them, you can borrow the book for as long as you need it. It isn't as if I have much use for it." Deidree replies, patting Helena's shoulder.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Here you go then. 55 shiny currency disks... Because in every country I've wandered into their basically the same with slightly different metal compositions. Honestly, could you imagine what the world was like if we thought other things were more valuable then gold? Like Sticks? No Trees Left.
Anywhere.
Helena said, chuckling at the odd thought and slipping the book into her shirt. Thank you though, this will go a long way to keeping me from being murdered when I travel... which has had several near misses at this point.... she said, looking honestly grateful for being able to borrow the book.