Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Ah I see what you're saying. Okay, I'll rewrite but cannot until later tonight.

Pervy, is Rovana hiding in the same room as Vita and Esvele? Other rooms are the Study, the Drawing Room where the body is, the dining room, the kitchens, the broom closet under the stairs, or the doorway to the cellar.

Edit to your edit, no I don't want to punish your plan. You readied pre combat and I forgot that when organising the initial sequence. We will go back and you won't have to be charmed, maybe.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Double-post just to announce that the end of my last post has been amended. Since Strahd's charm needed Line of Sight, Vita is NOT charmed. Strahd's action has been taken, with no immediately discernable effect.

Everyone else can react now.

I need an initiative roll and a Wisdom check from Tristam.

Rovana I just need to know how close you want to be to Esvele and Vita, and which room you were wanting to hide in.

The flaming sphere is currently providing some obscuration 'half cover' to them while they're on the opposite side of the flame.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Double-post just to announce that the end of my last post has been amended. Since Strahd's charm needed Line of Sight, Vita is NOT charmed. Strahd's action has been taken, with no immediately discernable effect.

Everyone else can react now.

I need an initiative roll and a Wisdom check from Tristam.

Rovana I just need to know how close you want to be to Esvele and Vita, and which room you were wanting to hide in.

The flaming sphere is currently providing some obscuration 'half cover' to them while they're on the opposite side of the flame.
Wait it does need LoS (Line of sight)?

Alright, finishing up post and sending soonish.

EDIT: Post up. Prepared another readied action. Sacred Flame cantrip, targeting whatever steps through the doorway/flaming sphere but not anything coming through the windows. Hope this is good and thankees for kindness Blue!

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's okay, it wasn't a major overhaul, just a redoing of the last couple lines.

The main point stands, Strahd wants dat noble woman's ass.

Yeah. It's annoying that it might be covered in Tristam's spunk, but somehow I think he'll get over it. Especially if Tristam's head is on a pike beside her.

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

Wouldn't be the first time.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmmm whats happening so far?

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Apologies, I had to juggle through the post. Effectively Rovana would be hiding a save distance but still within hearing and shooting distance, half line of sight.
Edit: I had a readied actin to crossbow whatever zombie broke in first, but the change of circumstances (Aka fireball) has also changed my actions there, I hope thats acceptable.

Last edited:

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Is that everything needed? Is Spodah able to post soon ;-;?

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry, I had to make sure my moves were rule legal, but its actually acceptable, to the feet, generously accepting Rovana starts reasonably close to the entrance.

Personally I hope that the fading fireball sets her ablaze just a little, a la

Happy to take some fire damage for -that- .. and DM specified the fireball obscured line of sight, so its effectively not breaking stealth.. ^^

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sorry, I had to make sure my moves were rule legal, but its actually acceptable, to the feet, generously accepting Rovana starts reasonably close to the entrance.

Personally I hope that the fading fireball sets her ablaze just a little, a la

Happy to take some fire damage for -that- .. and DM specified the fireball obscured line of sight, so its effectively not breaking stealth.. ^^
Btw, As Vita specified: 'Anything' Rovana might get blasted too, as she meets the conditions.. if the DM is cruel. :p

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Btw, As Vita specified: 'Anything' Rovana might get blasted too, as she meets the conditions.. if the DM is cruel. :p
You are going in, Not out of the fire XD. So I think yah surprised Vita XD. Also, yeah, roll a dex save I think to take half damage from Flaming Sphere.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

There are no real rules to roll for rushing through fire, because people are not expected to do that, I just do.. what my character would do... but sure, dex is a strong save, so a +5..

Roll(1d20)+5:
5,+5
Total:10

So depending on if DM rules I get hit by all of it that might hurt. :p

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

There are no real rules to roll for rushing through fire, because people are not expected to do that, I just do.. what my character would do... but sure, dex is a strong save, so a +5..

Roll(1d20)+5:
5,+5
Total:10

So depending on if DM rules I get hit by all of it that might hurt. :p
Its 15 DMG. And DC for it is 14.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

She's also not running into it, but running after it, through the path it creates through the shambling hordes. I fully expect some burning damage, but not the full hit, unless the spell stays potent for several rounds, she's not crazy. :p

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Flaming Sphere is a concentration spell that is still active, so if Rovana enters its square, she needs to make a Dex throw. She failed, but the damage is rerolled so you'll take 2d6+4 fire damage.

Edit. It's not moving right now. It just came into being. It's not a fireball spell, it works differently.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, thats a real shame, I liked my course of actions. That said, still worth a try. Because.. That was the most crazy pirate thing that came to mind.

Rerolling(unless Diagas or DM want to):

Roll(2d6)+4:
4,1,+4
Total:9

Hah! .. I guess. :p

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

She's also not running into it, but running after it, through the path it creates through the shambling hordes. I fully expect some burning damage, but not the full hit, unless the spell stays potent for several rounds, she's not crazy. :p
Flaming Sphere thing. Lasts 10 Rounds.

Spell Description
Flaming Sphere
Conjuration
Level: 2
Casting time: 1 Action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bit of tallow, a pinch of brimstone, and a dusting of powdered iron)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
A 5-foot-diameter sphere of fire appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within range and lasts for the duration. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere’s damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
When you move the sphere, you can direct it over barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to 10 feet wide. The sphere ignites flammable objects not being worn or carried, and it sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet.
At higher level
When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 2nd.

Last edited:

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I see, its good. Rovana is on fireee.. though definitly not planning to die. If my plan doesn't work at all I'm happy to abstain and wait things out, but that'd be a lot of rounds of 'I hide in the darkness and wait for something more srs than a zombie to pew pew', plus I just tried to brain myself into what a low wisdom, high courage, crazed pirate captain would do, and that'd not be hiding as fastest way to a goal. *nodnod* Can totally see the smack talk of 'you're on fire' vs 'Still more alive than you!' :p

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, just read you IC post from phone. I'm probably going to have to go crack my books but I think you might have used too many actions unless Swashbuckler is way better at 3rd level than I remember.

It seems you have used the Dash action to move the required amount to get to Strahd. The only way you can attack then is if you have an ability to use dash as a bonus action. You only get one bonus action per turn so you can only attack once, even with two hand weapons. So you would be missing with that first roll. Running at Strahd, on fire, while challenging him verbally negates any sneak attack.

Does that make sense? this seems like a very bold, and perhaps suicidal thing to do, but if nothing else Strahd doesn't think you a coward.

Edit: we are still getting used to 5e, so if you feel that this result was not what you were thinking was going to happen, aside from the rolls, you can retcon things.