What's new

Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Through the Mists: Out of Character Discussion

Huh Pervy, are you using this for Roguish Archtype 5e? ( ) ? If you are, you add Dex & Cha Modifiers to your initiative rolls.

Toujours l’Audace
At 3rd level, your unmistakable confidence propels you into battle. You add your Charisma modifier to your initiative rolls.
In addition, you can use Sneak Attack with any melee attack made against a target that has none of your allies adjacent to it

If Pervy is using this, then yah, Pervy gets sneak attack dmg as long as Pervy fights enemies all alone with no allies next to them.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Rogue, quite literally gets dash hide or disengage as bonus action. :p

Swashbuckler can sneak attack at any time, as long as Strahd is standing alone and she's posing drammatically that last bit is not in the rules but I feel it should be there

The only reason I want sneaks is to make sure I hit, while he only wears clothing he may have high dex and have natural armor so he could still evade.

the goal is to steal just a bit of Strahds blood and then somehow get away (She hasn't planned that bit, but figures that stuff is useful/valuable) She has no hopes of winning or even defeating him. ^^

And yes, I used it already and yes, Swashbuckler is a mean little thing.. if you understand and use the rules to their fullest. They can sneak attack at almost all times and ignore retaliatory AOO. They lack the pure versatility of arcane tricksters, skillmonkeying of thieves and the pure damage burst of assasines, but no one is more dangerous if you give them the space and let them talk. She has no chance of winning here, to be clear, but in a fair duell she can keep Strahd at bay for a very short while, no matter his level.. which is why I... she asked for that ic.

Frankly, I luv it, its perfect for the daring 'HAR HAR! wait.. oh shit what have I gotten myself into..' pirate type. ^^

edit: updated my post to reflect getting burned and trying to fight through it. To be clear, once unobserved she'll propably shout, cry and try to dip herself in water, but right now she's drunk on adrenaline and 'rum'. *nodnod*

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Cool. That's why I need to get home to my books. So you crit him then.

He doesn't bleed or show signs of being hurt.

Also, you still need movement to get away from him.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Nope, I don't crit him, I rolled a 20 total, not a nat 20. (Also, not even a scratch on a crit? Interesting, so something protects him somehow.)

Also, just fmi, the cutlass I used to attack with is average iron? .. well, evil cursed pirate iron.

But yes, this is as far as Rovana planned it through. :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Your cutlass doesn't count as dealing magic damage, for what it's worth to you.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Well, this is of course ooc, but no vampire has a DR greater than 10, so something else is in the works here, else he'd gotten at least a scratch from that one.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Strahd is not a normal vampire. His stats aren't in the monster manual, aside from a few obvious similarities. He's a CR 17 or 18 depending where you fight him.

And as for DR, your blade scratched him but the wounds don't bleed and heal almost instantly.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*shrugs* your game. usually more levels doesn't increase DR though, unless you're talking Divine ranks.. for the main reason that if you increase DR too much players just get roflstomped. Vampire is a template, not a class, after all.

Edit: Wait, now it did scratch him? I'm confuse. Oh well, so fast healing activates on his initative count, before Rovana can use shape water. So much for the plan of aquiering some of Strahds blood for nefarious purposes. :p

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's not just my game, I am literally following the rules for him from published material. If you want to figure out a way to defeat him, it may require *ahem* an adventure to discover it.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, you realize that in your world, only your rules matter? I doubt the official ruleset describe his penis length, yet I think that might come up later on. :p

I'm happy going through this blind, my DM instinct tells me we need three magical thingamajig, one is with the archmage, one is propably with one of us, third will be guarded by the three cocked Naga DERMINOX THE DESTROYER and the Orcale is our guide in case we don't figure this out on our own, though with that CR we either level FAST or you don't want us to win .. or have a plan to go on after we lose.

Rovanas plan is simply to steal some of his blood with control water. what for.. she hasn't thought that far. Perhaps to gain some of his strength, or to find a way to deal with him. She's not fighting him out of the goodness of her heart but she likes being free, and having rum. You can't trust pirates. :p

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Eh, you realize that in your world, only your rules matter? I doubt the official ruleset describe his penis length, yet I think that might come up later on. :p

Yes, oh wise and experienced GM, I am aware that I can make changes. I already have. When you're done with this adventure, you can go download the adventure and see for yourself what I'm doing differently from the published stuff.

However, I am more than happy to use the cool things from the book, and am doing so with Strahd. And no, I don't particularly feel like taking away his badassery in any way just because your character decided to charge him.

I'm happy going through this blind, my DM instinct tells me we need three magical thingamajig, one is with the archmage, one is propably with one of us, third will be guarded by the three cocked Naga DERMINOX THE DESTROYER and the Orcale is our guide in case we don't figure this out on our own, though with that CR we either level FAST or you don't want us to win .. or have a plan to go on after we lose.
Remember when I asked you to stop assuming things? Yeah. Do that. Seriously, put yourself in cruise control and just enjoy the ride. Don't constantly question what I'm doing here. I've had NPCs say "stay inside the house." I've also made it quite clear that the more powerful enemies in this encounter, the vampires, can't come inside the house unless you invite them in.

If you then decide that your first action is to charge through fire to get outside of the house and make a deal with the head badguy that if you lose a duel, you'll invite him inside the house, then not only are you making a potentially BAD DECISION, you are also inviting the possibility of a game over for more than just yourself.

I will give you enough rope to hang yourself by, if you get my meaning. There IS a way to get through this encounter without losing. Does it involve trying to get Strahd's blood for some vague ritual later on, such as becoming a vampire yourself? - the only one who has hinted at that being a possibility is you.

Rovanas plan is simply to steal some of his blood with control water. what for.. she hasn't thought that far. Perhaps to gain some of his strength, or to find a way to deal with him. She's not fighting him out of the goodness of her heart but she likes being free, and having rum. You can't trust pirates. :p

I got what your plan was. Seems you've bitten off more than you can chew in this case though. Time for plan B.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

You seem to be having a sour day. Would you prefer all of us leave so that none can interfere in your storytelling?

I'd like you to remember that my character is CN. Just because they make a deal, doesn't mean they'll keep to it, or even plan to do the duell against someone they don't expect to beat. The plan was to disrupt the attack, pretend to duell then run and steal some of this blood for later purposes while at it, but frankly, if you can not allow that bit of creativity I doubt this campaign is for me in the long run.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pervy,

I have let your character, CN or whatever, do what she wants. I have never stopped her from that.

Since you've made the comment that you don't think I intended to let you win in this encounter, I replied to that by saying that I have given you hints about not going outside of the house, but your character and your player creativity have compelled you to try that.

It's bold, it's audacious, but please don't blame me as the GM if it doesn't work. Don't say something to the effect of "you must not have wanted us to win or have had a plan for after we lose."

I'm out and out warning you that you have made a player decision that isn't likely to work out for you. You're free to make these kinds of decisions. But if you blame the encounter instead of your own actions, then that does annoy me, and does put me in a sour mood.

Also what puts me in a sour mood is your jibes about inferring that I don't know how to adjust a story. You're making a LOT of assumptions and I've asked you to stop. You're playing like a person who knows the Monster Manual and is questioning why or how a major villain shouldn't be harmed.

Don't twist this as "Slime is not letting me play how I want to play."

I'm telling you this because right now your character is in a lot of trouble because I've let you play how you want to play.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm fine with it not working. All you need is to do is move a few zombies.

I am not fine with you going 'You hit him, nothing happens' because thats lazy writing, and infact, what I've spoken about turnoff wise. You are godmodding because I break the script because I like the challenge. I play CN because I don't stick to the plan, so those characters fit me. Expect me to do it a lot. I feel like I'm not destructive about it, as you accuse me, but rather the opposite that I give rp opportunities, have you yourself not just given me a token for dedicatedly rping my character?
If you want players that follow along on your sight-seeing tour and don't step off the rails you don't want me around.

You're playing like a person who knows the Monster Manual and is questioning why or how a major villain shouldn't be harmed.
On account of me having read all of them, propably. Yes, I know that vampires have a DR 10/- and can use suggestion 1/day. You could counter that he has more, or work with me, or any number of things. I prefaced it as making an ooc statement and IC my reasoning is that my pirate would be bold and audacious. Would you rather have me post 'she stays in hiding and waits for something more serious to happen' for three weeks? Cause thats how long dealing with the zombies will take with Hentaispider posting 1 sentence/day; if you wait everyones turns out here.

I don't mind trouble, but you seem to have an ooc plan for what I'm supposed to do already and well, faced with a pretty impossible to beat situation, I tend to react bold audacious and suprising. I'm not twisting, I'm stating it. You react hostile when all I try is burn the playbook.

If its more convenient have her stand and wait in the shadows, pm me if anything happens then.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I am not fine with you going 'You hit him, nothing happens' because thats lazy writing, and infact, what I've spoken about turnoff wise.
I said that in OOC, while on the phone, not at a computer. OOC is not IC. If you want to wait for the detailed description, wait for the IC post.

You are godmodding because I break the script because I like the challenge. I play CN because I don't stick to the plan, so those characters fit me. Expect me to do it a lot.
God moding, eh? Interesting. I disagree, but interesting that's how you feel.

You've also said that Rovana is driven by her sense of survival. Consider what I'm saying here as a reminder of that.

On account of me having read all of them, propably. Yes, I know that vampires have a DR 10/- and can use suggestion 1/day.
Wrong edition. This is what I'm talking about with your assumptions.

But as a personal favour, don't look up the 5e rules for vampires. I can't prevent you from doing so if you want to, but t will work out so much better if you don't.

And then even if you did read the rules for 5e vampires, Strahd is different from them in some key aspects, so it wouldn't help you out much anyway.

I don't mind trouble, but you seem to have an ooc plan for what I'm supposed to do already and well, faced with a pretty impossible to beat situation, I tend to react bold audacious and suprising. I'm not twisting, I'm stating it. You react hostile when all I try is burn the playbook.
I'm going to respond to this bit in PM.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

God moding, eh? Interesting. I disagree, but interesting that's how you feel.
I'm merely warning you of falling too much in love with your villains badassery. One should have a love/hate relationship with ones villains, wanting to see them defeated but giggling evily if the heroes are too stupid to do that. If you tell me what I plan is nothing but a bad idea I'm happy to work around, but this is what came to my mind.. well, after realizing I had no clear line of sight to shoot and with him not saying enough to try and verbally oppose him.

p.s. if he got to the bitch twice, he can get into the house, somehow, or get her out. Fool me twice and all that and no, thats just my characters logic as well.

Last edited:
OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm merely warning you of falling too much in love with your villains badassery. One should have a love/hate relationship with ones villains, wanting to see them defeated but giggling evily if the heroes are too stupid to do that. If you tell me what I plan is nothing but a bad idea I'm happy to work around, but this is what came to my mind.. well, after realizing I had no clear line of sight to shoot and with him not saying enough to try and verbally oppose him.

p.s. if he got to the bitch twice, he can get into the house, somehow, or get her out. Fool me twice and all that and no, thats just my characters logic as well.
I'm not in love with his badassery, I'm just asking my players to respect it.

I'm getting the impression that some people are like... oh, well, it's JUST a vampire, oh man, I've played in epic campaigns where I beat Demogorgon and took over five layers of the Abyss as my summer vacation home, how is THIS going to be a challenge?

That attitude, or anything remotely approaching it, isn't going to help. Player knowledge NEEDS to be separated from character knowledge. None of you have fought vampires before. None of you should assume that you know anything about how they work for certain, nor should you be surprised as players when something you thought might work, doesn't.

I want you to look at this villain as MORE than a vampire. I WANT you guys to beat him in the end. Every good villain deserves to be defeated by clever, brave, and sexily audacious heroes. But I want you to feel like you've earned it. So narratively I need to set him up. And I'd prefer to SHOW you why you should be afraid of him, rather than telling you why.

Show, not tell. Storytelling 101.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I want you to give us some hope.

Heres this guy summoning hordes of undead and we are trapped and can't escape and everyone tells us how unbeatable is and how fucked we are, not even literally despite there supposed to be naugthy undertones.

But fine, I play for pure survival

Heres the thing

I've never ever lost a campaign when I did that right with a serious build character. Granted, I wasted my first level feat for mages apprentice over dual wield or crossbow mastery but the familiar can be useful at least.

I go overboard not to annoy you or be a bother but if I play my character to the fullest I don't lose, because, call me an arrogant asshole all you want I do know D&D I do know how to play smart and I am smart.. and I like losing. But alright, fine. I guess doing it differently one time wont hurt.

Smartest move is to stay stealthed and pew pew crossbolts at anything undead she can see, so doing that.

post edited.

OP
BlueSlime

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pervy, can you check your PMs again please.

I think you know that you're overreacting in the other direction.

Pervy

Dances with Girl-Cocks
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Pervy, can you check your PMs again please.

I think you know that you're overreacting in the other direction.
I don't want to argue anymore. Obviously the campaigns BBEG is not gonna be persuaded by a fanciful speech and a few charisma rolls and talking would give away her stealth which means a missed shot (I like keeping original rolls, aka an 8) on the zombie.

Can we just let things be and play on, I'm sorry ok?