What's new

Trolling in 8th century BC.

BurntToast

Lurker
Reputation score
Odysseus was traveling on his ship. Now each time a board on the ship would rot he would have his men replace it with a new one. This continued for ten full years until the entire ship was completely replaced. When the entire ship was replaced Odysseus wondered, is the ship new or old?

Last edited:

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Tolling in 8th century BC.

... Are you asking us?

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Tolling in 8th century BC.

Was the title perhaps intended to be "Trolling in 8th century BC."? It seems a bit more appropriate.

I know nothing of ship building, but I do know that there is a frame that, in a time where there was no mass production, was unique and essential to each ship. So long as the frame was never replaced I'd say it was. If the frame was damaged to such an extent it had to be replaced you'd likely be getting a new ship anyway.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Trolling in 8th century BC.

Isn't this more along the lines of existentialism than trolling? Anyway, the 'ship' is old even if the ship is new. Their concept of 'ship' is old and only gets older, even if the physical ship associated with the object is completely new. And, each of the boards varied in age, so it's not like the ship is completely new in any case.

Twisted

Mega Ultimate Jungle Girl 2000 Redux Z
Reputation score

If you refurbish and restore a 1963 Dodge Charger, replace all of the stuff in it, make it work as good as it was working in 1963, its still a 1963 Dodge Charger, which means its still old

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

Old ship is old.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Unless you replace all the boards at the same time, most of the boards will still be old.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Having seen my father do such with our '71 Olds, I am inclined to agree with Twisted's logic in this discussion.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

Is that the best Odysseus can do? Getting pwned by a group of 21st century perverts?

That's some funky craftsmanship on the statue though. Shame about his nose...

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Is that the best Odysseus can do? Getting pwned by a group of 21st century perverts?
He also beat the cyclops. Survived the Trojan War (in fact he came up with the Trojan Horse)... and mores.