What's new

[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Glad to hear you slowly back to normal- kinda.
Take your time as they say: Better late than never.
Also, this has to be the first time I've actually heard of a valid use for the crazy high dpi on mice so thanks for that little chuckle, since I imagined the mousoe boxes "10,000 dpi for when your joints are fucked" If it works, it works. Hope the other reasons are sorted sooner or later. Best of luck.
Yeah, high-DPI is a kind-of a niche solution. But anything that stops me having to move my arms/wrists substantially is good. It does mean I struggle with FPS's though.

As you mentioned the other issues: As I didn't say whether or not those issues would be an ongoing thing, I can say that the other issues should be mostly in the past. However, to the best of my knowledge these issues are not public, and unlike my joint problems, it's not my place to make them public. So I will be vague about the exact nature of these issues.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Yeah, high-DPI is a kind-of a niche solution. But anything that stops me having to move my arms/wrists substantially is good. It does mean I struggle with FPS's though.

As you mentioned the other issues: As I didn't say whether or not those issues would be an ongoing thing, I can say that the other issues should be mostly in the past. However, to the best of my knowledge these issues are not public, and unlike my joint problems, it's not my place to make them public. So I will be vague about the exact nature of these issues.
Not wanting to disclose them is totally understandable. Best of luck with the future of the project and everything else. :)

MagicProtects

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that everyone waiting on Habisain to translate the game knows that someone over on f95zone has already finished the translation recently. Some of you may insist on waiting, but people should know that the project has been finished. Just by someone else. Habisain, I am going to say something that you are hopefully already aware of. You should NEVER start a translation project again. I wish you the best of luck with your hands though, but you need to realize making unfinished translations is not worth whatever ability you have left. The final chapter is over.

On a slightly related note Searothonc seemingly being one and done for games is very disappointing because this game was just better and different than most H-games. I guess their final chapter is over as well.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
You know what? I wish people would read between the lines. I can't comment on the reasons why the release of my translation has been delayed. That means there are some damn good reasons. I'm pretty livid someone has ripped off my work.

I can't comment on the rest.

MagicProtects

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
You should have publicly abandoned this project 3 or 4 years ago. Because this would have been picked up by somebody, and it wouldn't be a translation completed 6 years after the first version. It doesn't matter if your reason for delay is good. Somebody else has finished it, and that is all that matters. You don't own the game, and having someone else finish it is not a bad thing.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the majority of what you have said. However, the primary reason for the delays to the final version, it turns out, is very important, and pretty much every part of what you've said is incorrect. I will be able to comment on the reasons in the future, but in the meantime, you'll have to read between the lines.

MagicProtects

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Unfortunately, I can't comment on the majority of what you have said. However, the primary reason for the delays to the final version, it turns out, is very important, and pretty much every part of what you've said is incorrect. I will be able to comment on the reasons in the future, but in the meantime, you'll have to read between the lines.
Congratulations on saying absolutely nothing in 63 words. Unless this somehow has something to do with Searothonc, or you are directly affiliated with the original developer there is no reason as to why the delay would be important. This is a unofficial translation, right? You did not make the game, and are actually just modding Searothonc's work. It doesn't have to be you making the translation, but your ego has held this game in translation hell for years. Yet you say the reason for the delay is very important, but won't talk about it. It doesn't matter now. The translation is finished.

Reputation score
Hallelujah, it's actually finished.

Thanks for the heads-up, MagicProtects.

I should note for anyone else reading this: f95zone seems to be having some web server issues at the moment. So be prepared to have to refresh a page a few times to get what you need.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
A reminder that while criticisms are allowed, personal attacks are viewed as infractions.

foamy111

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I see arguments on this forum a lot and now suddenly it's a personal attack? Unless there was a deleted post I missed, I can't see how any one of these recent posts are personal attacks. I honestly don't see how finishing a translation that hasn't been updated in years and obviously would've never actually been finished is stealing though. Did you write the story yourself?

Odd-Eye

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
To be fair, the difference in quality is like night and day.
The "updated" translation is an "improved" MTL more than anything else (EZeroFX says it himself). No wonder it took him "less than a week".
You just have to read the Slave Ending, for instance, to notice the huge gap compared to habisain's work.

As I see it, the issue is twofold, here :
1) Redistributing habisain's translation without even checking with him. Now I'll be honest : it's definitively not a nice thing to do, especially about an officially approved (if I understood right) translation. But... This is the internet. Free redistribution is kind of our thing, here. Not a nice thing to do, but not surprising either.
2) This new translation still calls itself habisain's translation, as seen in the splash screen. That's true for the old translation, but the "new and improved" bit are also included. And anyone not trying to read too deep into it (let's be honest, most people on the Internet) could have the wrong idea about the quality of habisain's translation.

I mean... That was the whole point of the copyright used : free redistribution, but shouldn't be derivative and, while giving appropriate credit to the original author, clearly indicating where changes were made.

So... Yeah. I won't comment on the time the real translation is taking, since I'm in no position to do so. I can't do a translation even remotely as good as habisain's, so I don't think I have any real right to complain. Could I have learned Japanese in the time it has taken ? Probably, but I haven't, so there is that.
I won't comment on the reason of the delay either, since they seem personnal.

TL;DR :
Habisain's translation is very good. The "new" translation is not.
Habisain's translation does take its time. Maybe too much, but in the meantime, noone seems able and willing to provide something of the same quality.

foamy111

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Just because you can't do something doesn't mean you can't criticize it. I'm fairly certain most movie critics wouldn't be able to write a movie script to save their lives. Honestly I do agree that the title screen should be changed back to the original.
Let's be real here. If Habisain just posted a long time ago that he wasn't working on the translation anymore, the translation would've been finished and likely in fairly high quality. But instead the translation has been essentially taken hostage only to become vaporware. The reason we got this botched 1 week translation is because people got sick of empty promises and waiting. Hell in the time since the last update you could've started college and graduated with a masters. Also this is not me bashing Habisain for not finishing it. Everyone has their own life and ways of doing things, but don't get mad when other people take matters into their own hands when you just keep bullshitting with the classic Soon™.

Odd-Eye

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I fail to see how one person doing a translation of a game prevent anyone else for doing one of their own.
You either wait for him to finish or you do it yourself. There is nothing wrong with either solutions. It's just that noone wanted to take the time or effort required for the second one. They could, but they didn't.

If someone feel it's a waste to do a translation because habisain is already doing it, it's on him not on habisain.

foamy111

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So if you were a translator and saw someone working on a translation for a game. You would just say fuck it and make your own instead of moving onto another game?

Odd-Eye

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Why wouldn't I ?
Since there is no incentive other than some Internet fame, if I should tackle such a project, I can at least pick whatever I please.
To illustrate, I'll use a fansub exemple (agreed, it's not a game, so feel free to consider this argument moot if you wish) : the Komi anime currently airing is officially available on Netflix with subs. It didn't stop fansubbers to do their own translations. Why ? Because they believed they could do better (IMO, I think that's the case, but that's not the point). And everyone can pick the version they prefer. Though I'll admit, there is a legal aspect to consider here.

Truth is, at first noone wanted to translate this game because noone thought they could do better than habisain. And now, noone want to translate it because they'd rather translate something more relevant. The time this translation is taking has no bearings on either.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Firstly, as DarkFire said, please do not make this personal. The initial post telling me to never do translations again certainly felt like a personal attack, which isn't a nice thing to do.

As I've said, multiple times, there are circumstances which I cannot currently comment on which have interfered with the release of the final version of my translation. I will explain what these circumstances are in due time.

Also, there is definitely a legal aspect, as my patch is quite clearly licensed under CC-BY-NC-ND, which does prohibit people distributing a derivative work of the project. As I understand it, this was part of the reason why Searothonc was OK with the fan-translation project in the first instance; the no-derivatives restriction prohibits people from distributing a pre-patched game, i.e. piracy. Obviously I'm not daft enough to try and stop people from distributing pre-patched games (due to Streisand effect etc.) or modified versions of my patch, but I'm certainly entitled to be very cross that people are doing so, both for the infringement of my own work as well as Searothonc's. I should also clarify that I would not complain one bit if someone made a fully MTL'd machine translation patch, or their own translation project. I am pissed off that someone had ripped off my work and combined it with such.

Final thought: Do remember that when this project started, MTL translations weren't a thing. Translations did take time. Yes, I'm slower than a lot of translators. I get that in the current day, people just want everything translated immediately, as evidenced by the MTL's being sold on DLSite. But do go through the full translation projects of the era when I started and check to see how many of them were ever completed. It's really not a long list.

rizo

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
Holy shit, someone actually took your work then ran the rest through and made a MTL. That's actually fucked up. From what I read in this thread, they still call it your patch etc. If they wanted to do a shitty job they should have MTL the whole thing. I happily wait on a full manual translation because I like to know what's happening instead of reading about how the bread is cold for the woman in the table. That's MTL right there. The worst thing to happen to H-RPGs are MTLs. Don't get me wrong, if you do a MTL then take the time to go over it and make it make sense then fair enough you took time. But these people who are shitting out MTL with no thought or effort piss me off. Anyway, I just want to say Habisain I appreciate your work and the time you put in and I look forward to playing this in the future when it's finished by someone like you who actually cares about quality.

MagicProtects

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Ignoring public warnings. 2 week ban.
Firstly, as DarkFire said, please do not make this personal. The initial post telling me to never do translations again certainly felt like a personal attack, which isn't a nice thing to do.
Habisain your definition of attack is laughably weak. Also why don't you just "read between the lines" or better yet read what I clearly stated. I am not sure if you are even worth trying to reason with because your reading comprehension and basic cognitive skills are extremely low. You have talked about being autistic so I get why this is hard for you. Seeing your name on a translation is a death sentence in terms of the translation ever being finished. Have you actually finished any games before? The death of hongfire makes this hard for me to research this, and I am seriously asking this question. Do you even feel bad about the fact that this project was started 6 years ago, and you are still not finished? What about for the people who like this game, and would want to finish it? Does the fact that you are too incapable to finish this translation in FOUR YEARS not bother you at all? Incapable, or just lying about working on it. Passing this onto somebody else was always the right answer. Either your misguided pride, or feeling of self importance did not let you do that. You need to realize that you are wasting people's time for no good reason. The legality of translating a hentai game does not matter to anyone else. Searothonc surely did not pay you to not finish the translation of their game.

If the moderators see this as an "attack" don't block the thread again. Delete it. Nothing useful has been posted here since 2017.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
@MagicProtects: You clearly did not read my post, in which I do state quite clearly that I would have had no objection to someone else translating the game. However, I am also not under any obligation to do as you say and pass my work onto someone else, nor am I obligated to work to your schedule. Please do understand that everything in this thread was released for free, I have no obligation to you, and that most full translations of that era were abandoned long ago. Similarly, neither you or anyone else are also under an obligation to check or read this thread. If you feel it is a waste of time, why keep posting? You've clearly gotten all you wanted out of the translation project.

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
I see arguments on this forum a lot and now suddenly it's a personal attack? Unless there was a deleted post I missed, I can't see how any one of these recent posts are personal attacks.
Did anybody get any warnings handed to them prior to that? No? Then I didn't count any of those as attacks.

Habisain your definition of attack is laughably weak. Also why don't you just "read between the lines" or better yet read what I clearly stated. I am not sure if you are even worth trying to reason with because your reading comprehension and basic cognitive skills are extremely low.
Unlike this guy, everybody else has been keeping it above the belt.

This thread has been locked by request.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.