[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)


ReekaPeen

New member
May 19, 2018
5
3
RPGMaker Trans development had essentially stopped as of a year ago, because JapeTrans is pretty much a from the ground up rewrite (there was a post on this on the website, but I'll admit I've been quite lax in communicating progress on JapeTrans). And RPGMaker Trans has never claimed to be completely generic. In fact, there's bits of VPM that RPGMaker Trans cannot touch (the scene names in the event viewer). JapeTrans is quite a lot more generic because you can specify which contexts you want to translate (dumping everything is rarely a good idea, because modifying file name strings is unlikely to end well). There's also a plan to be able to add plugins to handle preprocessing strings - mostly for the purposes of making things easier to parse for translators, but it could be used to support games which cipher the text inside themselves (OneOne1 springs to mind,), but that's in its infancy.

XML would be pretty easy to add as a dialect, but it's not a high priority - the reason being that it's verbose, and isn't particularly friendly to translators. Basically the more stuff a user has to write, the less likely I'm to add it. Tex-like was chosen because it's concise and pretty clear what's going on in it when you start defining your own macros i.e. \macro{text} is applying a macro to some text, or \macro for a no-argument version. None of the alternative dialects I've seen are anywhere near as concise or clear (e.g. XML is <macro>text</macro> or <macro/>). And yes, do remember that I'm only using Tex for it's syntax, and not implementing all of Latex, so it's substantially simpler.

I would note that in writing this post, I've also realised that I'm not sure this type of thing is even possible in RST, so perhaps I should not do that one at all...

Anyhow, perhaps best to wrap up on the discussion of possible future JapeTrans features because I fear this is getting far too off topic. I'll keep the discussion of JapeTrans to only things which are relevant to VPM.
Thank you for the translation. Stay gold
 
Nov 26, 2009
1,461
63
3 is tricky because it would require me to identify myself on the DMCA claim - which I'm not keen on doing - and I'm not 100% I actually have a valid claim, so it's actually a very risky strategy. Besides, it isn't particularly classy - and neither is 1. Super classy would be to engineer something that could detect if it had been put in an archive. I'm not 100% that's possible, although I have some ideas I might test out. Of course, I've no doubt that a determined uploader would be able to reverse engineer and remove such a thing pretty quickly (and I would put out a version which didn't have that feature after a few days in any case), but I'd say if it's possible/easy to get to work, it's the classiest "screw you" I can think of.
I'm no legal expert but...
  • Your translation programs would definitely be covered under copyright
  • I'm pretty sure your translation itself would be classed as a derivative work, and so be covered as well
But you know... shou ga nai ('it can't be helped' - inevitably prepatched uploads are going to happen, they're out of your control, and actively trying to take them down is just going to drive you insane)

So best thing to do is just double down and increase the passive aggressiveness in the splash (not that it'll change anything, but it might make you feel better)
 
Jul 15, 2012
1,184
83
The question really is whether or not a company would acknowledge a DMCA claim filed on a derivative work - and regardless, the big issue is that I do not want to legally identify myself on that claim. I do have a serious career, and this kind of stuff still isn't looked on kindly in the academic world. I'm still mulling over a technical solution.

Anyhow, progress report time: JapeTrans is lagging behind where I wanted it to be - no surprise there, really. The issue right now is that it's mangling the scripts. If people recall, Scripts were one of the major issues in RPGMaker Trans, and they're still hard. A good deal of this is because in late 2016, I decided to use the Pygments library to parse Ruby for me. It wasn't perfect, but it seemed like a good idea. In early 2017, Pygments put out a release which has proven to be the final version - it's effectively abandoned now - and I've been finding more and more issues with it. Most of those are now fixed, but there's still some more to go.

The good news is that other than mangling Ruby scripts, JapeTrans appears to be in pretty good shape, as far as I can tell. Which is fairly far - I've gotten much better at testing since I wrote RPGMaker Trans, and the Python ecosystem is getting much better and debugging (e.g. MyPy). Hopefully JapeTrans will be less buggy than its predecessor.

So I'm unlikely to release a final version by the end of this month because I've spent too much time already trying to fix these script issues in JapeTrans, but it shouldn't be too much longer.