[WIP - Full] Virgin's Protection Magic Translation (v 0.82 released 23/07/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReekaPeen

Reputation score
RPGMaker Trans development had essentially stopped as of a year ago, because JapeTrans is pretty much a from the ground up rewrite (there was a post on this on the website, but I'll admit I've been quite lax in communicating progress on JapeTrans). And RPGMaker Trans has never claimed to be completely generic. In fact, there's bits of VPM that RPGMaker Trans cannot touch (the scene names in the event viewer). JapeTrans is quite a lot more generic because you can specify which contexts you want to translate (dumping everything is rarely a good idea, because modifying file name strings is unlikely to end well). There's also a plan to be able to add plugins to handle preprocessing strings - mostly for the purposes of making things easier to parse for translators, but it could be used to support games which cipher the text inside themselves (OneOne1 springs to mind,), but that's in its infancy.

XML would be pretty easy to add as a dialect, but it's not a high priority - the reason being that it's verbose, and isn't particularly friendly to translators. Basically the more stuff a user has to write, the less likely I'm to add it. Tex-like was chosen because it's concise and pretty clear what's going on in it when you start defining your own macros i.e. \macro{text} is applying a macro to some text, or \macro for a no-argument version. None of the alternative dialects I've seen are anywhere near as concise or clear (e.g. XML is <macro>text</macro> or <macro/>). And yes, do remember that I'm only using Tex for it's syntax, and not implementing all of Latex, so it's substantially simpler.

I would note that in writing this post, I've also realised that I'm not sure this type of thing is even possible in RST, so perhaps I should not do that one at all...

Anyhow, perhaps best to wrap up on the discussion of possible future JapeTrans features because I fear this is getting far too off topic. I'll keep the discussion of JapeTrans to only things which are relevant to VPM.
Thank you for the translation. Stay gold

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score
3 is tricky because it would require me to identify myself on the DMCA claim - which I'm not keen on doing - and I'm not 100% I actually have a valid claim, so it's actually a very risky strategy. Besides, it isn't particularly classy - and neither is 1. Super classy would be to engineer something that could detect if it had been put in an archive. I'm not 100% that's possible, although I have some ideas I might test out. Of course, I've no doubt that a determined uploader would be able to reverse engineer and remove such a thing pretty quickly (and I would put out a version which didn't have that feature after a few days in any case), but I'd say if it's possible/easy to get to work, it's the classiest "screw you" I can think of.
I'm no legal expert but...
  • Your translation programs would definitely be covered under copyright
  • I'm pretty sure your translation itself would be classed as a derivative work, and so be covered as well
But you know... shou ga nai ('it can't be helped' - inevitably prepatched uploads are going to happen, they're out of your control, and actively trying to take them down is just going to drive you insane)

So best thing to do is just double down and increase the passive aggressiveness in the splash (not that it'll change anything, but it might make you feel better)

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
The question really is whether or not a company would acknowledge a DMCA claim filed on a derivative work - and regardless, the big issue is that I do not want to legally identify myself on that claim. I do have a serious career, and this kind of stuff still isn't looked on kindly in the academic world. I'm still mulling over a technical solution.

Anyhow, progress report time: JapeTrans is lagging behind where I wanted it to be - no surprise there, really. The issue right now is that it's mangling the scripts. If people recall, Scripts were one of the major issues in RPGMaker Trans, and they're still hard. A good deal of this is because in late 2016, I decided to use the Pygments library to parse Ruby for me. It wasn't perfect, but it seemed like a good idea. In early 2017, Pygments put out a release which has proven to be the final version - it's effectively abandoned now - and I've been finding more and more issues with it. Most of those are now fixed, but there's still some more to go.

The good news is that other than mangling Ruby scripts, JapeTrans appears to be in pretty good shape, as far as I can tell. Which is fairly far - I've gotten much better at testing since I wrote RPGMaker Trans, and the Python ecosystem is getting much better and debugging (e.g. MyPy). Hopefully JapeTrans will be less buggy than its predecessor.

So I'm unlikely to release a final version by the end of this month because I've spent too much time already trying to fix these script issues in JapeTrans, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Popble

Reputation score
Think it'll come out this month or will it be more toward Christmas time?

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Think it'll come out this month or will it be more toward Christmas time?
That's a good question. I'm not sure, but it's most likely going to be in that timeframe (i.e. November/December). I think I've got the critical bugs ironed out of JapeTrans now (need to test that properly, for obvious reasons, and I've not had a chance to do a full test just yet).

A proper update will follow once I've got my tests run.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
You know that there is no way we will get an update
just play it using Translation Aggregator
That's kind of rude, telling me there's no way I'll update this project. There will be updates. I've got one outstanding technical issue to solve (hopefully today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I have for coding), and then I'll commit to a release date. Which will probably be around the 25th, but lets see if my estimate on how long this technical issue takes is correct.

Stiltzkinator

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score
A big chunk of the game was already done previously by habisain, and they do a pretty good job of responding whenever someone pokes the thread. Honestly, a simple "I'm alive and working on it" is more than we get from some, and habisain usually goes further into the specifics of what they're working on. It sometimes goes into things I don't fully understand, but I still appreciate the insight into the process, personally.

Maybe it's not fast enough for your liking, in which case, sure, everyone has their own preferences, and you're welcome to use Translation Aggregator instead of waiting. But saying that we're not getting an update is just dishonest.

Hantaboy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I rather wait for a proper translation from habisan than read some rubbish machine translation.

I also really want the full version, but if its take time then its take time. This project is doesn't cost us any money, so we can't say any wrong word about the time. There is a lot of patreon based project (not really translation, rather games) what does not make any real progress in months and peoples are paying for them.

So if we get the full translation this year it would be really awesome, but if not, then we will wait patiently for it.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
And just as a follow up, I'm a little less confident on releasing for Christmas now. I will spare people the details, but I've been upgrading my PC recently, and the best way to describe the process has been a complete and utter debacle. After having my main PC in pieces for an inordinately long time, I've got it back together and everything was looking great - until my new GPU started tripping the over-current protection on the PSU when under heavy load. I have no idea why, mind. I'm not best pleased about this situation, obviously. Now I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with a bunch of tech support people.

(Incidentally, the upgrade was related to my algorithmic demosaic work that I'm messing around with)

Anyhow, still going to try to get it over the line soon, but maybe more towards New Year than Christmas.

djweish

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
And just as a follow up, I'm a little less confident on releasing for Christmas now. I will spare people the details, but I've been upgrading my PC recently, and the best way to describe the process has been a complete and utter debacle. After having my main PC in pieces for an inordinately long time, I've got it back together and everything was looking great - until my new GPU started tripping the over-current protection on the PSU when under heavy load. I have no idea why, mind. I'm not best pleased about this situation, obviously. Now I'm trying to get to the bottom of what's going on with a bunch of tech support people.

(Incidentally, the upgrade was related to my algorithmic demosaic work that I'm messing around with)

Anyhow, still going to try to get it over the line soon, but maybe more towards New Year than Christmas.
No worries. I remember how my computer somehow got reset to factory settings in the bios, which for some reason included a built in overclock, which my PSU couldn't handle... Was a worrying time trying to sort it out.

Kayot

Lurker
Reputation score
I side stepped power issues by getting a 750 watt 80 cert corsair unit for my personal rig. My server has a 1000 watt 80 gold but I don't remember the brand. The server has 32 drives in a zfs so it was needed.

I learned a long time ago that there isn't an easy place to save cash when building a gaming rig.

I don't mind the wait. There are so many H games that it keeps me busy, plus I'm on an XCOM 2 WotC kick right now.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
I side stepped power issues by getting a 750 watt 80 cert corsair unit for my personal rig. My server has a 1000 watt 80 gold but I don't remember the brand. The server has 32 drives in a zfs so it was needed.

I learned a long time ago that there isn't an easy place to save cash when building a gaming rig.

I don't mind the wait. There are so many H games that it keeps me busy, plus I'm on an XCOM 2 WotC kick right now.
The issue is that I in fact did get a 750W PSU. I did my research on this and got a very highly rated and specced 750W PSU - an Aerocool Project 7. I don't think there's a single negative professional review on the Project 7 PSUs. According to my calculations, my entire system should use at most 400W. Even allowing for transient power spikes from the GPU (Vega 56, so it does have power spikes), there's no way it should be giving out. The GPU would have to be drawing in the region of 600W to overload the PSU, which is something like 3-5 times the designed power usage of the card, depending on if it's in low-power BIOS mode or not. It's also far more than people using oscilloscopes to measure the Vega 64's power spikes (which is a much more power hungry card) have seen on that card.

I've either managed to get a faulty PSU (and given that it started emitting a buzz when the computer is turned off, I'm not ruling that out), or the Project 7's are afflicted by a similar issue to another highly rated type of PSU: the Seasonic Focus series which a few weeks ago got a specific compatibility warning about the Vega cards relating to an over-eager overcurrent protection circuit. Either way I'm sending the PSU back and getting a different one, which is annoyingly more expensive, but features a USB output so at the very least I'll be able to debug the thing easily.

Also: 32 drives? Bloody hell. I've only got a 2-drive BTRFS server running off an old 350W PSU.

Anyhow, back on topic. For the next few days I'm back to spending free time on VPM/JapeTrans while I wait until I'm physically in the right location to do more computer building. Progress should hopefully happen (Smash Bros is a bit of a distraction at the moment while I try to work out the changes to Corrin...).

Nyanyanyan

Lurker
Reputation score
and given that it started emitting a buzz when the computer is turned off, I'm not ruling that out
This keeps happening for me with faulty grid power to USB adapters, so my bet is that this is what's happening for you too.

Last edited:

Kayot

Lurker
Reputation score
The drives are only 4TB each and I'm using a raidz3. I have to keep a full backup and for that I use mergerFS over three 12 disk arrays I connect through SAS ports. I've considered installing a 10GB lan so I can get SSD speeds over the network.

I could talk endlessly about tech and I am in fact an IT Administrator as a profession. I wish I could get a Database Administrator job. Learning Japanese is more for fun than anything else hence why I'm so slow in learning it.

Still, I'm going to try to not derail the thread.

Hantaboy

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
The issue is that I in fact did get a 750W PSU. I did my research on this and got a very highly rated and specced 750W PSU - an Aerocool Project 7. I don't think there's a single negative professional review on the Project 7 PSUs. According to my calculations, my entire system should use at most 400W. Even allowing for transient power spikes from the GPU (Vega 56, so it does have power spikes), there's no way it should be giving out. The GPU would have to be drawing in the region of 600W to overload the PSU, which is something like 3-5 times the designed power usage of the card, depending on if it's in low-power BIOS mode or not. It's also far more than people using oscilloscopes to measure the Vega 64's power spikes (which is a much more power hungry card) have seen on that card.

I've either managed to get a faulty PSU (and given that it started emitting a buzz when the computer is turned off, I'm not ruling that out), or the Project 7's are afflicted by a similar issue to another highly rated type of PSU: the Seasonic Focus series which a few weeks ago got a specific compatibility warning about the Vega cards relating to an over-eager overcurrent protection circuit. Either way I'm sending the PSU back and getting a different one, which is annoyingly more expensive, but features a USB output so at the very least I'll be able to debug the thing easily.

Also: 32 drives? Bloody hell. I've only got a 2-drive BTRFS server running off an old 350W PSU.

Anyhow, back on topic. For the next few days I'm back to spending free time on VPM/JapeTrans while I wait until I'm physically in the right location to do more computer building. Progress should hopefully happen (Smash Bros is a bit of a distraction at the moment while I try to work out the changes to Corrin...).
I have only tips what can be the problem:
- Earth / ground problem from the main supply. You or didn't have grounded, or something transfer electricity to ground cable. If your house did not have a ground fault unit for the whole house (like EU) only for outlets which near water (like US or UK) than you should check every connected device (try to pull out everything except your computer.
- Damaged cable(s). When you built your computer, than maybe you damaged the cables at the back of main board (most common cases), or your fans cuted it. Or maybe you did not connected properly. Try to unplug and replug them.
- Overclocked GPU. If you have overclocked your graphic card, than it can cause tripping OCP in some cases.
- Faulty PSU. There is a chance of faulty psu, so maybe you can RMA it if nothing helping.

OP
habisain

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
OK, three posts in a row on computer stuff means this is getting a bit out of hand now. This thread isn't supposed to be about computer hardware, so while I appreciate the advice, the issue was essentially already diagnosed at the time of my previous post i.e. PSU related, although I couldn't say exactly what. A new PSU is in place now, the old PSU will be returned as Faulty/Not as Described (i.e. it's a 750W PSU that doesn't power a 400W system) and while I need to give it some time to be certain the issue is fixed, things which caused the issue within seconds with the old PSU seem to run without issue now.

So back on topic people. Speaking of which, I'm pencilling in a proper progress update of some form next week (i.e. around the 26th-27th). This should be more substantial than the previous progress updates, and I should have a good handle on when the final patch will be released by then.

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Well, i'm pretty sure most people won't mind if theres some tech advice in here.
After all, it's helpful and the posts won't bury anything important inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.