What's new

What is Patreon doing?

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
These sites say are they only for images or can they do anything else?

Obscure

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Rape, Incest, Pedophilia, Bestiality and Necrophilia are just going to be against the rules on Patreon.

But I for one welcome our new Patreon funded NTR game overlords.

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
I say my opinion, I think Patreon is gradually removing the adult games, I explain he put these restrictions as he listed Obscure as a first step, but then there will be a day that will also prohibit those for adults as well if they do not contain these things a bit "details"
In short, he wants to go back to the origins.
I think you will criticize me for this, but it is as I see it, then I could be wrong.

Obscure

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
I say my opinion, I think Patreon is gradually removing the adult games, I explain he put these restrictions as he listed Obscure as a first step, but then there will be a day that will also prohibit those for adults as well if they do not contain these things a bit "details"
I think you will criticize me for this, but it is as I see it, then I could be wrong.
It would be easier for Patreon to remove erotic games from their platform right now instead of assigning people to go over every single one with a fine tooth comb.
But boobies and terrible things that happen to boobies is what art is and always has been.

Sebastiano_del_Piombo_001.jpg

Patreon wants to fund art. This is what that means.

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
Now Patreon has to worry about a very dangerous question that this nonsense, unfortunately in Europe have approved a copyright law (I think you know) that sweeps away the freedom of thought, of opposition, etc ... in short a real CENSURE .
Already Google, YouTube, GitHub, Wikipedia, Tweet, FaceBook and Sylicon Valley, are protesting we do not forget the founding fathers of the Internet, the same UN say that this would be a disaster that violates human rights.
Now dear Patreon staff, instead of thinking of limiting adult content, why not do something to avoid this disaster kills inovation, that if it were to pass in a definitive way this law do not give you 1 year of life on this platform?

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
@Turrican No, the EU did not approve a censorship copyright law that sweeps away freedom of thought or opposition. The laws in question may have some effects on reuse of material (with bad effects on parody/remixing), but that's as far as it goes, and they have only passed one stage of the process to become law. We've been here before (e.g. with laws on net neutrality), and they were killed off at the next stage (EU parliament).

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
@Turrican No, the EU did not approve a censorship copyright law that sweeps away freedom of thought or opposition. The laws in question may have some effects on reuse of material (with bad effects on parody/remixing), but that's as far as it goes, and they have only passed one stage of the process to become law. We've been here before (e.g. with laws on net neutrality), and they were killed off at the next stage (EU parliament).
I hope you're right, I'm doing too many alarms, you have to understand that in my country I'm used to always feeling that something is done, then people protest, then say that "we heard your disapproval so you will not do" , all relieved, but at the end of surprise they do the same for the big one.
Sorry for the word.

gettagmk2

Lurker
Reputation score
That's pretty unlikely. Just consider what they have to gain from such a move: (nothing) vs. the revenue stream they'd lose if that was their endgame.

demilupo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
So here's an interesting development: Both UnidentifiedSFM and Animo were both told by Patreon to immediately cease working on banned content, even if it was off-site, and in USFM's case, he had to purge his entire site.

The USFM has been going on since earlier in the week, and Animo just made the announcement today. Now this comes at no surprise since both were obviously trying to skirt the rules, but ultimately the case was made that Patreon was funding restricted (illegal) content, no matter how you try to cover the tracks. And Animo was huge, raking in $35k monthly (USFM undisclosed, but about 1/3 the amount of supporters).

There is one creator I am watching now, who I'll call X. USFM and Animo previously worked by sending out passwords to their patrons to unlock content on their sites. X officially uses Patreon to fund a vanilla game, while his original project is available for free on his site, but is otherwise not mentioned on his Patreon whatsoever so you can argue that the connection can't be made.
Kind of a moot point for USFM now, since he had to purge his entire website and I assume will now not be able to openly tell his current patrons if he hosts his content elsewhere. Who knows when the hammer will drop on X though, or if this will actually keep him protected through these shake downs.

One point I think that needs to be hammered into everyone's brains when discussing this though, is that this has absolutely nothing to do with morality or personal taste. If Patreon could make a sizable legal profit off of selling heroine or pipebombs to children, then there would already be a Patreon street team hustling dope in school zones. This is entirely about a room of accountants and lawyers crunching numbers, figuring that X revenue risks a drop in Y revenue, or that Z is a legal liability risking W.

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
Now that I think about it, I noticed that the artist StickJump (MyxxxKin) and for a week that his site Patreon is disabled hypothesis are two: has it closed or is it updating?
But is there a third hypothesis that got tired with these limitations of Patreon and set up on his own?
Do you know something?

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score
So here's an interesting development: Both UnidentifiedSFM and Animo were both told by Patreon to immediately cease working on banned content, even if it was off-site, and in USFM's case, he had to purge his entire site.

The USFM has been going on since earlier in the week, and Animo just made the announcement today. Now this comes at no surprise since both were obviously trying to skirt the rules, but ultimately the case was made that Patreon was funding restricted (illegal) content, no matter how you try to cover the tracks. And Animo was huge, raking in $35k monthly (USFM undisclosed, but about 1/3 the amount of supporters).

There is one creator I am watching now, who I'll call X. USFM and Animo previously worked by sending out passwords to their patrons to unlock content on their sites. X officially uses Patreon to fund a vanilla game, while his original project is available for free on his site, but is otherwise not mentioned on his Patreon whatsoever so you can argue that the connection can't be made.
Kind of a moot point for USFM now, since he had to purge his entire website and I assume will now not be able to openly tell his current patrons if he hosts his content elsewhere. Who knows when the hammer will drop on X though, or if this will actually keep him protected through these shake downs.
Where did Animo say this? Does he have a discord or something? The only thing I see on his site is the known issue of not being able to link to a site with that kind of material. The only thing they need to do in that case is remove the link from their patreon, not nuke their site. Which doesn't affect them that much since you want to link to patreon from your site not the other way around. If people are at your patreon they should already know what you are doing.

deathwalker383

Reputation score
What Mayak said, Crisis point and Erogi have been the two major ones I have had to unsub because of huge lack of interest after being censored. Don't be surprised if Grimhelm is next as his page is under review despite the fact that he deactivated it. Next on the chopping block is likely Future Fragments, Anthophobia, Atelier Tia, Mithos56's game, Hdoom. All feature "Banned" content.

mayaktheunholy

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Is it just me, or is Patreon mainly going against adult games dev?
A lot of game devs are getting hit now, but there are also animators that are getting suspended. Animopron for example just got his patreon suspended a few days ago. And several SFM animators have been suspended. Patreon is trying to make a show of it for their Paypal overlords.

AngleBoi7

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
A lot of game devs are getting hit now, but there are also animators that are getting suspended. Animopron for example just got his patreon suspended a few days ago. And several SFM animators have been suspended. Patreon is trying to make a show of it for their Paypal overlords.
At this point, Studio Fow must really know who's ass to lick.

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
So why not protest, do not do something, as happened in 2017. (I heard that they complained about that date, but I do not know what).

OP
Turrican

Turrican

Reputation score
Now I knew that the StickJump to (finally) removed his first game he created !!!
Now I know that many artists Patreon follow this site, I have a question to ask, but does not make you angry, because of a useless regulation and without justification makes you lose years of work?

Respond cleanly and do not vulgarly please, even if I understand how you feel.

demilupo

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Where did Animo say this? Does he have a discord or something? The only thing I see on his site is the known issue of not being able to link to a site with that kind of material. The only thing they need to do in that case is remove the link from their patreon, not nuke their site. Which doesn't affect them that much since you want to link to patreon from your site not the other way around. If people are at your patreon they should already know what you are doing.
Animo didn't say anything about nuking their site, but UnidentifiedSFM did.
They hid all their content behind passwords on their site , sent out passwords to Patrons, and last week deleted everything he's ever posted since it's inception last year.

Animo just has a couple Patron only posts saying that everything's on hold until he hears back from Patreon.

Attachments

netherus666

Reputation score
devs really need to start playing the system, don't post things that will be flagged on patreon (pics, curtain words, etc) and direct them to their discord, where they can post freely and show what the game really is. its sad thats its come to the point where you need to make what your game is a secret but until a new stable platform can be found/made, it seem they have no choice. i for one do not agree with creators censoring they games because patreon BS, there is a limit the the legal grounds patreon has you simply need to play the field and get past it. perhaps start asking sites like itch.io to add a pledge feature idk, but something has to change fast or its GG.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score
So interesting piece on about this which has pulled a lot of things together. The key points:
  1. The change in policies was a condition on Patreon from investors when they raised money - i.e. this isn't so much to do with Paypal or payment processors, but making themselves attractive to investors.
  2. There hasn't been a change in policy recently.
  3. Patreon has however recently hired a bunch more staff, and they are more actively reviewing content now.
So what's going on right now appears to be that the actual changes in policy happened last September, and creators took the fact that they didn't get smacked down then mean Patreon thought they were OK. Unfortunately though, the reason why the creators didn't get smacked down in September was because there wasn't any enforcement, which is only now starting to bite now that Patreon has hired some more people to look at the people using it.