What's new

What makes you play H-Games?

What makes you play H-Games?

• It's hot, I use it for personal pleasure (yes, you know what I mean)

Votes: 88 36.2%
  • Sure it's nice to look at, but I personally enjoy the gameplay/story/characters more!

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • I Enjoy both aspects equally!

Votes: 131 53.9%

• Total voters

Lord Arioch

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: What makes you play H-Games?

I believe the phrase is; two birds, one stone. ;)

KHTA

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's become a hobby.

Started with fanart of girls from games I played.
Then into playing dating sims (the low quality flash ones).
Then into major companies visual novels.
And I've been hooked ever since.

Nelico

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Well, I guess I'm one of the very few people that started with normal RPGs, went on to all ages VNs and from there on to the dark side. (lured by the smell of cookies, of course^.^ )

I went from JRPGs and VNs to Eroge and H-RPGs. Yay for corruption!

Kyrieru

Sensei
Reputation score

For me, every H-RPG is hoping that it will be as good as Violated Heroin or better. Entering areas with a bunch of events, flexible scenarios, etc.

For H-content in VNs, Monster Girl Quest and Thief and Sword are what I look for and enjoy. Thief and sword especially is a format I really enjoyed.

As for action games, the only action H-game I've enjoyed as a game so far is Unholy Sanctuary, which I think is the only one with cohesive game-design. The H-content wasn't up to par, though. The closest an action-H-scene has come to what I look for is Hounds of the blade (passable sound+in-game animation+contextual dialogue+extended scenario). Other than that, either the animation, sound, or something else is usually bad in action games thus far.

The sad thing is, if I list the games I enjoyed overall, there are very few. 2, rpgs, 2 VNs, 2 action games, and that's only if I'm being generous. Rather, it's more like those few games showed me the potential, and now it's just hoping time and time again that something will eventually meet or exceed those expectations.

TheBl4ckC4t

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I was introduced to the stuff with SDT many years back thought it is funny to force someone the D.... I was pure secret cringe, then I quit it for several years

Nowadays I just love cringy bad games, figuring out the "what the fuck am I supposed to do"-games and pixelart, moreover I can train my japanese. it is forcing me to draw kanji on IME pad to understand.
Even figuring out how to get a game running is like a challenge I want to beat, normal games are plain boring to me.

And I just love being able to feel super cringy,
while some of the games are even better than everything that comes out nowadays.
like MGQ was better than even Final Hallway 13 and 13.2

A Hentai Game being better than the huge Fantasy of Square Enix? Count me in!
This is so much cringe to me I wanna Jizz on the producers.
; P

raska42

Cthulhu
Reputation score

I play them for both. I love the old 16-bit feel of RPGMaker and Wolf, and some of the things I find kinky are next to impossible to accommodate in real life (for example, I enjoy molestation from a voyeuristic viewpoint, much easier to force an RPG heroine into those situations than finding that in everyday life. Also a lot more ethical), playing H-games is win-win. Are there some that I played entirely for the art? Certainly. Are there others that I've played that had art/kinks that weren't my thing but I stuck with because they were fun games? Absolutely.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

As for action games, the only action H-game I've enjoyed as a game so far is Unholy Sanctuary, which I think is the only one with cohesive game-design. The H-content wasn't up to par, though. The closest an action-H-scene has come to what I look for is Hounds of the blade (passable sound+in-game animation+contextual dialogue+extended scenario). Other than that, either the animation, sound, or something else is usually bad in action games thus far.

The sad thing is, if I list the games I enjoyed overall, there are very few. 2, rpgs, 2 VNs, 2 action games, and that's only if I'm being generous. Rather, it's more like those few games showed me the potential, and now it's just hoping time and time again that something will eventually meet or exceed those expectations.

I can certainly get where you're coming from there. Whilst I probably wouldn't say I've only "enjoyed" so few, I'd definitely say that incredibly few really ever satisfy what I'm looking for. That bit about potential rings very true.

The difference for me though isn't whether I "enjoyed them as a game", but whether I feel that I "enjoyed them as an H-game". Far too much I feel that what's available falls towards two categories. Games with some h-content on the side, or H-content with some game elements on the side. If I want to play a good game, I have thousands of regular titles to choose from. And if I want to see some hentai animations, you can normally find far better than anything you get in the majority of H-games.

I hope you don't mind, but I've always used your own Kurovadis as a prime example of the former. An enjoyable game with superb conventional game design, but one where the H-content essentially sat on the side, and could even be removed without really effecting how the game played.
"Barrage" is probably another example. A fun high action game, but with overly simplistic H-mechanics that don't really mesh that well with the game. The only way to trigger the H-content being to run into enemies when under 20% HP, despite the fact that most enemies will just shoot you on approach and never make an effort to grab you themselves. Asides from that it's just stuff in the background that could readily be re-skinned for a SFW version. The benefit of this kind over the other kind, is that they tend to do a bit better providing at least some emergent narrative context for the H-content, such as "I screwed up here so now I pay the price" but ultimately it's entirely up to the player to imagine it.

On the other side of the spectrum, you've got the kind of games that are essentially little more than an H-animation slide show, with often clunky bare bones (and often minimal challenge) "gameplay" padding it out, typically expecting you to deliberately just lose on purpose repeatedly. They also tend to be incredibly uninspired regarding how to access the H-content, such as it simply triggering any time you so much as touch an enemy, and with the ability to struggle out having a 100% success rate. The worst of these like to fill the game with instant death pits as an excuse for level design. The benefit of this end of the scale is that they tend to put more resources into the H-content, with better art and animation quality, sometimes sound, which obviously has it's value. But soon enough you're back in the "game" deliberately blundering into the next animation, with next to no context to get you involved mentally or emotionally.

Trying to think of examples that meet the middle line here I'm looking for is tricky, since like you said, most of the ones I've enjoyed the most, have still really only been because they've shown the most potential. I'm also reluctant to try and name any since I've probably just come across as really picky and judgemental. But I hope people understand what I mean here. ^_^;

I just want more genuine "H-Games". Not mega man with sprite sex, and not HQ sprite sex with clunky instant death pits. Something where you can't just remove either side, and still have main appeal of the game in question unaffected. It's a entirely unique form of game design, that doesn't exist in the traditional games design world. And for the last 10 years I feel like I've watched countless authors struggle with it in their own ways.

redscizor

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

My first h-game was x-change and late all was spiral
Ok, I like h-games because there arent salt, I am playing Fire Emblem Fates and I hate censored games only by the cut content
h-games are fast only take few ours have increible storys what I cant play in any console

My order of time destruction games
RyonaRPG +- 60hours
Cursed/CoC/Trapquest/Girllife +- 40 hours
SnowMaiden +- 30hours
VN usually only play with skip and only read my favorite path except Student Transfer

boxing42

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

For me, im an old school gamer and these rpgs pull the nostalgia string on me.
I have to say i really enjoy the hentai extra spice. My favorite are magica, ariadne and sangeki of gear. These courageous hot girls get into trouble when they get defeated :)