What's new

Wolfenstahl

Jaydubs

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Wolfenstahl

New post on the blog site, with some news and a few pics of a new enemy type. No additions to demo (yet), though looks like there will be another demo version before final release.

Looks like the author (or at least the one who has been running the blog) has some RL concerns going on. Whether that's good RL stuff or bad RL stuff, I don't know.

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

yup, I currently have a lot of RL stuff to handle.
as I mentioned on the blog, I'm more or less just managing the blog, answering here in the forums, and programming for the game.

I'm NOT doing the artworks or ingame graphics, as well as the other stuff.
so yes, the team continues to work on the project, while I'm a bit too busy.
this relates mostly to blog posts, since I'm focusing on programming whenever I have free time.
so anyway, things are working out so far.

~Wolfenstahl~

DarkShadow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Have the performance issues that some people are having with this game been fixed yet? For some reason the game takes really long to load up on my PC and when it finally does the performance is abnormally slow. It seems I am not the only one having this problem. I have scanned my PC with several up to date anti-virus software and my PC is completely clean. So I have no idea why this game runs so bad on my PC. Restarting the PC does not help either.

Larcx

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Have the performance issues that some people are having with this game been fixed yet? For some reason the game takes really long to load up on my PC and when it finally does the performance is abnormally slow. It seems I am not the only one having this problem. I have scanned my PC with several up to date anti-virus software and my PC is completely clean. So I have no idea why this game runs so bad on my PC. Restarting the PC does not help either.
You're not Alone......

I too getting the same problem

While I quite confident of My PC strenght
It might not be the best , but I think it should be enough to play a 2D game

netorar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
im inside the room with a letter and 3potion any hint what to do here?
edit already find out how to use potion and reach the demo end, any idea how to unlock cg 5 and 6?

Last edited:

ngansex

Sex Demon
Reputation score

my comp is taking it too long but i can wait :D .
wait for the H game is funny :D

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I have an idea what might cause the performance issues.
since I "think" I messed something up, by playing with the game options, but I couldn't confirm that I fixed it already?
(the main reason being, that my computers don't have any performance issues with the game at all)
I haven't uploaded the fixed version yet.

only one of our team members had this problem, so as soon as I manage to get into contact with her, we will look more deeply into this matter.
and we also plan to fix this for the next demo version of course.
(a loading time that takes about 10-20 seconds before the game starts should be normal, but if you have to wait for about 1 minute, it's not normal anymore)

I'm also placing some of the ressources into external folders to minimize this loading time.
I'm certain that we will be able to fix this for the next demo version.

@netorar
I'm not sure what CG's are exactly Nr. 5 & 6.
but some CG's are only being unlocked, when losing several times to the same enemy type.
(it's more or less random, what kind of CG will be unlocked, in the final version there will be lots of different CG's, at least 2-3 per enemy, sometimes even more, also depending on other stuff... but this doesn't matter now)

~Wolfenstahl~

Larcx

Tentacle God
Reputation score

10-20 Sec , is quite long IMO
7-10 is normal
Still better than half minute+

For comparing , I play KoK3
I can open 10tab

Can play other 3D game just fine
Not trying to brag here

So I hope the issue of long loading will be fix

Sry bad engrish.

Trigon

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

According to the , it looks like the Paperheads game will be updated this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing the new improvements, which include a tutorial, a boss, and new CGs, amoung other things.

DarkShadow

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I have an idea what might cause the performance issues.
since I "think" I messed something up, by playing with the game options, but I couldn't confirm that I fixed it already?
(the main reason being, that my computers don't have any performance issues with the game at all)
I haven't uploaded the fixed version yet.

only one of our team members had this problem, so as soon as I manage to get into contact with her, we will look more deeply into this matter.
and we also plan to fix this for the next demo version of course.
(a loading time that takes about 10-20 seconds before the game starts should be normal, but if you have to wait for about 1 minute, it's not normal anymore)

I'm also placing some of the ressources into external folders to minimize this loading time.
I'm certain that we will be able to fix this for the next demo version.

@netorar
I'm not sure what CG's are exactly Nr. 5 & 6.
but some CG's are only being unlocked, when losing several times to the same enemy type.
(it's more or less random, what kind of CG will be unlocked, in the final version there will be lots of different CG's, at least 2-3 per enemy, sometimes even more, also depending on other stuff... but this doesn't matter now)

~Wolfenstahl~
Ok, here is my setup so that you can inform me if my PC should be able to run this game or not:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNOW, (running at 2.2GHz)
1GB of RAM (1024MB)
nVidia GeForce 6600 GT graphics card (128MB)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3
DirectX 9.0c
A 17" CRT Monitor which I run at a resolution of 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy LS sound card

I always keep my PC up to date by ensuring that I have the very latest drivers and software installed for all of my hardware. I do have anti-virus software which I use to scan my PC for any and all threats regularly. I regularly run maintenance on my PC to keep it in top condition at all times.

Now when I play this game it takes around 5+ minutes for the game to finish loading and start up. Once it finally starts up the performance is very bad. The frame rate is so low it looks like I'm looking at a slide show while playing the game. It literally looks like the game is running at 1 frame per second. Sometimes the game does not load up at all, and all I get is a Windows error message telling me that "the program is not responding."

I've tried downloading the game several times thinking that perhaps it was just a faulty download. But I keep having these problems no matter how many times I download the game.

Blackmagic

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It seems like really nice made game but this isn't doing it for me :U

Minerve

Tentacle God
Reputation score

@Dark Shadow: yeah... I got a far better computer (like ten times better) and I need 30s-1min to load. (Throw away AMD's processors, and you should have at least 1GB for your graphic card nowadays)

Larcx

Tentacle God
Reputation score

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/1/2012, 16:37:11
Machine name: XXxXX
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: EP45-UD3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1799MB used, 3163MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 640
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FC1&SUBSYS_353E1458&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2048.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0012.9639 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/26/2012 06:27:00, 4313472 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 3/26/2012 06:27:00, 14056192 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4C81-11CF-4F52-321500C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0FC1
SubSys ID: 0x353E1458
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Jabra HALO2 v5.20.0
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: USB\Vid_0b0e&Pid_090c&Rev_0520&MI_00
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: usbaudio.sys
Driver Version: 5.01.2600.2180 (English)
Date and Size: 8/3/2004 23:07:56, 59264 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_1458A002&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5780 (English)
Date and Size: 1/20/2009 17:53:06, 5027840 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Jabra HALO2 v5.20.0
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: usbaudio.sys
Driver Version: 5.01.2600.2180 (English)
Date and Size: 8/3/2004 23:07:56, 59264 bytes
Format Flags: 0x0

Description: Realtek HD Digital input
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No

Description: Realtek HD Audio Input
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No

Still have half minute to load.......

MacDakka

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

In Germany, it is still Saturday. ;)
Anyway, the new version is online. Yay! :)

Hand

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

GOOD NEWS! trial ver09 up check da blog

Wolfenstahl

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Yup, I just needed a bit more feedback from the test-players, since everything was fine I finally uploaded it.

Regarding the other posts:

I'm sorry, unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to be able to do anything useful with all those computer data that has been posted.

But I do know that you should have at least a 2 Ghz processor, as well as 1-2 GB Ram.
(the game is not guranteed to run on old computers, it might be possible, but when it comes to computers it's pretty much difficult to get something to work on all systems/hardware etc.)

And yup, it eats up quite a lot of ressources, because it has tons of animations.
Since they are all being pre-loaded at the start of the game... it takes ages to start up.
I countered this by externally storing some of the data, loading it later.
But this only keeps the game from having longer loading times, in order to shorten the loading time at startup, I would have to reconfigure nearly everything.
(the sprites alone are already far more than a thousand...)
So I can't solve the performance issues without making major changes...

Well... at least I learned my lessons, the most important ones being:
- do a 2D platformer (instead of a pseudo-3D brawler)
- don't use too large sprite resolution
- less hentai-animation (I'll better do more enemy types instead)
- externally stored data

If I would change those things, it should improve the startup time for the game greatly.
But as you might guess... this would mean starting from scratch.

At least the code will be less "heavy", the sprites would eat up far less ressources, and I can load data when it's needed, not loading it all right from the start.
(well... I guess I can load it all also right after the start to avoid loading later on in the game)

If I ever do a "Paperheads 2", it will be a completely different game.
It would keep the same heroine (maybe adding 1-2 more heroines to the game?), but it would be a platformer.
The controls would be different/easier/less buttons, and yeah... in general I would do a lot of things differently.

I'm not saying that I'm not satisfied with "Paperheads" as it is now.
I really like the game, playing it sometimes if I have the time.
(well... since I programm it I've got to test it all the time... but this is a bit different from "playing" it, though it spoils the fun)

And so far everything worked out as planned.
What I'm trying to say is, that we wasted a lot of ressources/time/money on unnecessary ingame content.

I think a 2D platformer would have been at least equally fun to play as the game is now.
(it would maybe be even more fun, if it was a 2D platformer)

The amount of hentai-animations is kinda wasted, since a player should try to avoid the grapples as good as possible.
(Roughly 75% of all ingame sprites are hentai animations, maybe more... this is because every enemy has at least 3 hentai-attacks as well as combinations of several hentai attacks... and this means it quickly stacks up... if I'm not mistaken the tentacle monster has in fact... 27 different grapple-related-animations, because every step/attack needs it own animation...)

Other games have only 1 hentai-grapple attack per enemy, and I think this is really enough.

We could have used all that time and energy for something else.
But well... you do mistakes in order to learn out of it, right?
(and we made far too much progress, so we can't return or change it... it's do or die now... so we will finish it as is)

What I wrote might sound frustrated, but I'm not.
It's just a reflection on the progress, and wether or not the ressources have been used efficiently or not.

Have fun playing the game, and have a nice sunday! ^^

~Wolfenstahl~

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Yup, I just needed a bit more feedback from the test-players, since everything was fine I finally uploaded it.

Regarding the other posts:

I'm sorry, unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to be able to do anything useful with all those computer data that has been posted.

But I do know that you should have at least a 2 Ghz processor, as well as 1-2 GB Ram.
(the game is not guranteed to run on old computers, it might be possible, but when it comes to computers it's pretty much difficult to get something to work on all systems/hardware etc.)

And yup, it eats up quite a lot of ressources, because it has tons of animations.
Since they are all being pre-loaded at the start of the game... it takes ages to start up.
I countered this by externally storing some of the data, loading it later.
But this only keeps the game from having longer loading times, in order to shorten the loading time at startup, I would have to reconfigure nearly everything.
(the sprites alone are already far more than a thousand...)
So I can't solve the performance issues without making major changes...

Well... at least I learned my lessons, the most important ones being:
- do a 2D platformer (instead of a pseudo-3D brawler)
- don't use too large sprite resolution
- less hentai-animation (I'll better do more enemy types instead)
- externally stored data

If I would change those things, it should improve the startup time for the game greatly.
But as you might guess... this would mean starting from scratch.

At least the code will be less "heavy", the sprites would eat up far less ressources, and I can load data when it's needed, not loading it all right from the start.
(well... I guess I can load it all also right after the start to avoid loading later on in the game)

If I ever do a "Paperheads 2", it will be a completely different game.
It would keep the same heroine (maybe adding 1-2 more heroines to the game?), but it would be a platformer.
The controls would be different/easier/less buttons, and yeah... in general I would do a lot of things differently.

I'm not saying that I'm not satisfied with "Paperheads" as it is now.
I really like the game, playing it sometimes if I have the time.
(well... since I programm it I've got to test it all the time... but this is a bit different from "playing" it, though it spoils the fun)

And so far everything worked out as planned.
What I'm trying to say is, that we wasted a lot of ressources/time/money on unnecessary ingame content.

I think a 2D platformer would have been at least equally fun to play as the game is now.
(it would maybe be even more fun, if it was a 2D platformer)

The amount of hentai-animations is kinda wasted, since a player should try to avoid the grapples as good as possible.
(Roughly 75% of all ingame sprites are hentai animations, maybe more... this is because every enemy has at least 3 hentai-attacks as well as combinations of several hentai attacks... and this means it quickly stacks up... if I'm not mistaken the tentacle monster has in fact... 27 different grapple-related-animations, because every step/attack needs it own animation...)

Other games have only 1 hentai-grapple attack per enemy, and I think this is really enough.

We could have used all that time and energy for something else.
But well... you do mistakes in order to learn out of it, right?
(and we made far too much progress, so we can't return or change it... it's do or die now... so we will finish it as is)

What I wrote might sound frustrated, but I'm not.
It's just a reflection on the progress, and wether or not the ressources have been used efficiently or not.

Have fun playing the game, and have a nice sunday! ^^

~Wolfenstahl~
you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what makes a good game :) striking the balance between hentai content and the game mechanics is tough

Hand

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I think everything better with story.

Aaaand it's gone.