What's new

The idea for a story- or maybe a career?

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score
I've gone into a, erm, interesting dilema with something that popped into my head recently.

Several weeks ago, I had something pop into my head- and for the longest time, it wouldn't go away. I typed it up in notepad, and I guess I want to see if it's worth anything or not...

So, here I give you my idea- The Darkness Reversed Choronicles, at least the bare bones of it...

---

Story basis- flip the ideas of 'good' and 'evil' characteristics so that fantasy-style 'bad guys' are the good guys

Major Key Terms-

Kingdom of Braxil- The land the story takes place in, comprising of several subsections, all ruled over by the central Monarch. Before the fall, the entiriaty of the continent was under King Malius's rule
Underfell- Capital of the Kingdom of Braxil during the ruling of King Malius. Is renamed the Keep of Destiny and heavily reconstructed after the Fall
Knights of Redemption- They say they fight to regain the order and prosperity before the 'spawn of the Devil' made the prosperous kingdom of Braxil
Claws of the Night- Resistance group that appears shortly after the Knights of Redemption take over. Led by the heir of the kingdom, Bane, the resistance is made up of all forms of creatures, both of the light and dark
Wherebeast- a creature with physical formation between man and a beast, usually Wolf, Deer, and Cat being the norm, but there are rarer concoctions, such as Dragons and Gryphons. Wherebeasts can also choose to temporarily take the form of thier werebeast, though the changing process is harder to return from during the full moon.
Defiled- Often warriors who fall in battle during fights with mindless undead, having thier soul energies ripped from thier bodies, but still enough of a fragment left to keep thier spirit alive. Defiled are bonded spirits, often locked in thier mortal coils until they achieve a way to break thier release and go to the afterworld, often by bettering the world more then they left it, or begging others to remove them of thier curse. Often, Defiled are driven mad by thier change, and are considered ill omens and are often avoided by most of the populus, or in the case of the White Templars, exorsized on sight.
White Templars- the 'Holy Knights of the Redemption Sect' who break from thier new stronghold and charge forth in bloody 'cusades', slaying any creature considered 'impure' on sight.
Sucubai/Incubai aka Cubis- Demons often misunderstood for being lust-driven. The true nature of the Cubis (as they are called as a race) is that they seek thier own refinement and pleasures above all things, though they are forced to survive on souls, unlike most demons who can survive via other means. Most Cubis thus go into lives of deprivaty, able to meek out both a living and a existance this way. However, a few have managed to thrive, not only able to gain partners that do not mind the continous leeching of thier soul energies, but also becoming well-respected in thier communities. The White Templars don't agree, and brand them as 'whores of hell'.
Demon (as a colaberation)- Demons are considered by the Knights of Redemption and the White Templars as 'unholy children of Satan', but are no different then other races. As is, King Malius was a demon, and yet the kingdom of Braxil had it's greatest reing of peace and prosperity under his wise and collective rule. Demons do, unfortuneately, have a bad rap from the multitude of individuals that have given in to the seven vices, causing the reputation of the race to be tarnished. The lies the Knights of Redemption have been pumping out about dark-based races in general haven't helped matters. Like humanoids, there are various other offshoots of demons, from the Cubis race to the warrior race known as Thrashers.
Spandura- Shapeshifters who care not for how others are harmed. Due to thier own frail state, they always clothe themselves in covering garb, never showing thier black formless flesh unless forced. They lust for power, and will do anything to become even more powerful. Cu Chaspel is a perfect example of this type of creature.
Axitan- a keep-city on the southern point of the continent, and one of the first places to be taken over by the Knights of Redemption. Was well-known for the mostly-Cubis goverment before the Fall.
King's Bridge- a large bridge that spans from the central 'island' of the cities of Underfell and Nightwytch to the outlying lands over Kraken River. Matt meets a fellow traveler on this bridge.
Tetras- A race with multiple arms, no matter the number. Most common is four arms, but there are others with six and even eight arms. Tetras specialize in wielding melee weapons, an art that many of them take up young in life.
Sether- A small hamlet in the middle of nowhere. The Claws of Night are hiding in this town, and shoot White Templar on sight.

The Patheon of the Gods- Religion of this world is devided into various forms of deitys and spirits. There are infinate layers of lesser deities, each with thier own servents, but these are the major deities-

Dicen- Mistress of Luck. Her servents re-weave the strands of fate in favor of those that favor her. Gamblers are her favored servents.
Ashea- Queen of the Wood and Goddess of Nature. Her servents are often seen tending to the anchient trees of Nalumantrah Wood, and often don't move her sights from it.
Shel'Khan- Master of the Forge and God of Iron and Smithing. His soldiers are always toiling at a dimension known as the 'Hellforge', working on greater and greater weapons of war.
Lirorious- Maiden of Life, said to be the one that birthed all sientent races. The Knights of Redemption have recently banned worship of her, cristening her the 'Maiden of Nightmares'
Kirania- Goddess of the Elements. After the fall, it rained for a solid week, the incident being called 'the Tears of Kirania', and allowed Princess Amelia to escape the castle and several other creatures that would be hunted by the White Templar time to hide
Grandrin- God of Battle and War. It is to his battle hymns that the Claws of the Night march to.
Khastorian- Known as the Sun God and 'The Vexed God'. There is a legend that when the gods gathered to recieve thier blessings from Mother Lirorious, that Khastorian begged that he be given one of the greatest gifts- the goddesses own power of Life. Lirorious agreed that she did need help, and gave him watch over the Sun- the light of which all life would fail and whither. He was, however, unsatisfied with only a slight bit of the power he sought, and from that point on, he has conspired against the other gods. Some say the Knights of Redemption are the latest example of this god's hatred of his brother and sisters
Lunis- Goddess of Night and Death. As Khastorian was given his gift, the youngest of the gods, Lunis, instead asked for a task that was small, and one that would allow her to get closer to her mother's new creations. Originally, she was set as the gaurdian angel of one of her mother's creations, but when tradgedy struck, there was nothing Lunis could do to save them, causing the girl to be most upset. She led the newly-freed souls to the lands of the gods personally, full of remorse for her failure. As the God-Mother heard of this turn of events, she changed the fate of Lunis- that she and any other creatures she creates make sure to bring any spirit that breaks it's mortal coil to the Afterlands. Lunis was content with this task, and has done so ever since.

The Unnamed God- The god that the Knights of Redemption and the White Templar now teach of. The Nameless God combines the virtues of the other gods in one being, removing mentions of anything that the creator of the religion considered 'unholy' or 'unatural' or relabling it as 'hellspawn'. Mostly based on modern religions, with some pointed reworkings. One of the main virtues of the Nameless God- 'Destroy all unworthy of our teachings.'

Characters-

G.G.s
Mike Thengor- Dark Mage of Underfell's royal court. Center of the story. A normal human with a great mastery of what others would consider 'dark magic', but is still clueless on matters not royal and about other people not in the royal courts.
Whispwing- Mike's familier, a young Braxilian Grey Drakefeather (part dragon, part bird) Quite the little smart-ass, and has telikinetic abilities. Acts as Mike's extra eyes and ears.
King Gratorous Malius- The current ruling monarch of Underfell and the Kingdom of Braxil. As a Demon, he still has both strength and intelligence to be a wise ruler. Is killed by Cu Chaspel.
Kazken- A six-armed Tetra that spent his days exploring the land. He meets Matt and accompanies him for a while before leaving again.
Bane, AKA Princess Amelia Malius- A half-demon that was the heir of King Malius's throne. Now serves as the main instigator of the Claws of the Night.
Kiki 'Fangs' Nemura- a Wherewolf that Mike knew before he became court sorcerer. Fangs is always rash and a tad on the annoying side, but is surprisingly hardy, and can survive short skin-contact with Wolfsbane, a rare gift for a Wherewolf
Kes'Torian'Nomaruas- a member of the Demon species known only as 'Lady Luck' in mortal tounge, rumored to be the daughters of Dicen. She often shadows the group, appearing at odd moments and assisting them. Shortly after the fall, Mike also recieves a Tarot reading from her, though she is disguised heavily.
Zilinaria Whisperbow- One of the cursed Defiled. A expert marksman in life, Zili now seeks to end the curse of death that never ends, however, she's more interested in a 'cure' then an easy way out. Tends to become slightly unerved about how others act around her.
Selindra Cosmos- Cubis that used to work at a bar a few blocks from the Keep of Axitan. Was carted off to be executed when the others release her. She assists the others, but often gets urges that are hard to control.

B.G.s
Chaspel- Advisor to King Malius, turns traitors and joins the shadowy members of the Knights of Redemption's command, the Great Palidens, as thier sixth member. As he doesn't tend to remove his armor, it is unsure of what sort of creature Chaspel is.
High Paliden Mortiskhan- the leader of the Great Palidens. A harsh man that will not give up his ideas for all the gold of the king's treasuries.
Paliden Thoch- One of Khastorian's servents in disguise as the second of the Great Palidens. Uses the power of sunfire to purge those that will interfere with the Master's great plan. Is revealed to be a Black Schemer shortly before the final confrontation with this Paliden.
Paliden Anarias- The third of the Great Palidens. Acts more like a ninja then a Paliden, prefering acts of trickery and magic then outright brutality. Revealed to be one of Khastorian's False Angels at her final confrontation.
Paliden Cryxt- The forth of the Great Palidens. Wields two great warhammers in combat strong enough to rend the earth. Nicknamed 'Ogrehead' by the resistence. Also revealed to be a Black Schemer at his death.
Paliden Xael- The fifth of the Great Palidens. A pyromancer that uses holy flames to immolate the unclean- and often great swaths of the land as well. Turns out to be slightly mad.

1. Fall of Underfell
Begin in the court of King Malius. Malius, Chaspel, and Mike are discussing matters of the land, including an odd occurence- there has been an attack on the city-keep of Axitan. Confident that whatever trouble it is can't break the keep.
Night falls, and all but the king heads to thier chambers. A commotion happens outside the throne room as Malius goes to rise. Gaurds of the king tense up as the door thunders open.
High Paliden Mortiskhan enters, suddenly spewing blasphemies at Malius. Malius does a 'wtf is going on' moment before Chaspel cuts in- literally. KoR begin stomping through the castle in search of 'demons and blastfimers'
Matt is awoken by Whispwing, and the two of them begin thier escape, only to be blocked by Chaspel, who goes to kill him as well, except stopped by Kes, allowing Matt to flee
2. Stranger in an Unknown Land
Matt flees on horseback (his favorite riding serpent slain)
Matt flagged down in Nightwytch by a disguised Kes, who gives him a surprisenly interesting fortune.
Matt meets up with his first ally, Kazken, as he rides across King's Bridge.
3. Haunt of the Past
Kazken explains about some of his explorations as he and Matt finally get to an inn for the night
Matt goes to pay for a room, only to run into Fangs near the bar.
Fangs is doing well as a mercinary, and due to the KoR attacks, plans on hitting up with any resistance they run into. Kazken rather not tie himself down, but Matt is intruiged by the idea.
Kazken and Matt seperate, with Kaz saying he'll always try to lend a hand should they need it.
Matt and Fangs catch up with thier own paths of life in Fang's room.
4. Cries for Vengeance
Time goes by, the two of them explore the nearby area for the resistance.
Upon reaching Sether, they get in a fight with an expiditionary force of White Templar.
The resistence pitches in, soon driving or killing off who's left.
The twosome is led to the resistence leader, Bane of course telling Matt to skip the royalty chargin.
The twosome is given a mission- rescue the remaining governors of Axitan (if they aren't allready executed) and to also destroy the Crystal Lighthouse, halting nightly deliveries of supplies to the KoR. Quickest way- Nalumantrah Wood
5. Nalumantrah Wood
The two begin traveling through Nalumantrah Wood, only to almost get enthralled to death by a local Living Rose.
Zili saves them and brings them to her camp, tells her story. Reveals she's a Defiled.
Zili helps lead them through the woods, until they reach Dancer's Glen
The trio watch Pixie Imps dance for a while
6. Axitan

7. The Execution of Freedom

8. Fire and Flame

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: The idea for a story- or maybe a career?

Looks interesting. Were you thinking of making a publishable book out of it, or a just a few short stories for the forum?

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Looks interesting. Were you thinking of making a publishable book out of it, or a just a few short stories for the forum?
The former actually, maybe even multiples if it goes over.

Wonderboy

Lurker
Reputation score

Lurker, two thumbs WAY up. Go for it man!

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

I read the entire thing top to bottom, and all I could think was Damn, I want this to be an RP :/

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I agree with Shrike! However, I do encourage you to publish it because that would be ever more awesome!

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Um. Run it through a spellchecker before you post it? Pretty please?

All the "palidens" and "wherebeasts" (Wherebeast? Therebeast!) and whatnot are distracting.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Um. Run it through a spellchecker before you post it? Pretty please?

All the "palidens" and "wherebeasts" (Wherebeast? Therebeast!) and whatnot are distracting.
Since its a fantasy, I believe he's in his right to spell the words of certain mythological titles however he wishes. While yes I agree it can be distracting, if that's how he wants it to be spelled out, then in his world that is how it is spelled out.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Since its a fantasy, I believe he's in his right to spell the words of certain mythological titles however he wishes. While yes I agree it can be distracting, if that's how he wants it to be spelled out, then in his world that is how it is spelled out.
Wherebeast you's right bout me spelling that way, paladin, you's correct bout me erroring.

Consider this was copypasted from an idea page only, and not any actual writings, I think I was still in the clear :p

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Indeed. I don't believe notes really need to be pounced on for grammar and spelling. My notes have all kinds of poor grammar and spelling errors in them.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Spelling incorrectly is for the weak!

But seriously, I think that this has potential, depending on how interesting you make the characters, and develop their own personal stories. And don't ever forget, what makes a good story good, is the villain.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lurker.

If you do actually publish this book.........Not only will I read it........I'll try and get it sold at the bookstore where I work!

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Hello again. Wow, I posted this a long time ago ^^; and I'm just now getting back to it, ya...

Anyway, probably will be posting snippets here and there for people to prod and post opinions on, perhaps point out extreme plotholes, writer cliche's, and so on.

First off, how the kingdom of Braxil (and in extent, this fantasy world) has so many demon-ish entities!

-----

Aeons ago, back when magic was less regulated and even more widespread over the races, the study of all forms of magic, moral or not, were studied. Chief of these was testing dimensional vortexes and portals, the results of which resulted in many forms of new species and creatures encountered in various dimensions.

However, the guild of casters soon grew concerned. Many species were being pulled from the other dimensions, and were being put to work for the mage's personal comforts and pleasures, or simply being used as test subjects and inhumane experiments. Eventually, practice of portal spells and especially dimensional translocation where outlawed, and only allowed to practice under extreme regulations. The only legacy of this era is the interdimensional transportation that only the most learned of mages- and godservents- are privey of the knowlege, and the many, many, MANY variations of warp-legacy species that exist in the world, such as the Tetra, Cubis, and Khyzorian.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Some more random details and notes I'm looking for critiques on, kthnx?

-

The Defiled: The undead exist in the world, dude in part to both before the magician's code of Necromancy being allowed for practice on humanoids, and residual magics appearing in the world. Most feared is the Ghoul, and it's poison called Morphis's curse. As Morphis's curse will cause the person inflicted to essentially have their vitality sucked from them, turning them into a gaunt, almost-living creature, these beasts, called the Defiled, are human in a sense, but if they touch a species not inflicted with the curse, they will suck the person's life-force from them. Most Defiled are driven insane from this, and go into the wilds, soon turning feral and dangerous. Others instead are like the succubus, leaching the life-force for the addictive feelings it gives while leaving bodies in their wake. Finally, others (like one of the protagonists, later) try to find ways to remove the curse and return their vitality to them.

-

The Wherebeast: This purposely misspelled pronunciation of the were beast covers an entire class of biological mutation, whereas the afflicted has the ability to reform into an animal. The form of wherebeast depends on the animal. For example, a wherewolf (like one of the protagonists) has the abilities and some basic features of the wolf. Other variations exist as well, such as wherecat, wheredeer, wherelizard... as well as rarer ones befitting more supernatural creatures, like wheredragon and wheregryphons. Though the exotic transformations usually only appear in more magic-prone races. Also in parallel to werewolf legends in the real world, the wherebeasts have a harder time controlling their transformation power during the full lunar phase, however it's less 'constantly a single form of transformation' and more unstable transformation phase.

-

The Demon (subtype of race): Demons appeared in the world due to early experiments in dimensions and time fluxuations thanks to magic. The magic code was created after those experiments, but the demon species were left stranded in Braxis. Eventually, the demon species would be watered down with mortal DNA, however, some traits of demons exist, mostly shared over demon species. However, one major thing all demons share is they can revitalize their body and mind my absorbing soul energy from others. Care must be taken so that this soul energy is not drained from them, leaving them as a soulless husk, and it is rare for a non-Cubis to use this practice as a form of complete sustenance. Most demonic-based animals, however, rely on this source instinctly for food as they care not like sentients.

-

The Cubis: A race with demon origins, but unlike other demonic races that can gain nourishment from mortal means, the Cubis physiology has never adapted, and must rely on soul-leaching. As they are refined creatures, they detest this 'weakness', however. Most cubis are part of noble houses, with slaves and willing species to allow them to get food without relying on leeching on a single person and risk going overboard. Others work as courtesans and troubadours, where a food supply is only a wink or some coin away. Cubis being the general name, however males are called Incubis and females are called Succubus.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

This is the tentative 'First Chapter', as I got it wrote down now. I FINALLY have gotten around to leveling with myself and beginning to put this onto paper, figuratively speaking, and figured- to a certain point- I'd share the story with you as I developed it, for critiquing and so on, beings I know a good chunk of ye are bookworms :p

A storm was brewing outside the tower’s stone walls as Mathius poured over the tome in front of him, his relatively thin fingers following the pages. He was looking for a specific section of this chapter, remembering it brought up in an earlier conversation with an acquaintance and fellow magus. Even still, extra knowledge never hurt. Even still, after several page turns and a soft curse under his breath, the young sorcerer didn’t find what he was looking for, and slumped back into his chair, a hand brushing through the short, unkempt black hair on his head.
Getting up from his seat, he rearranged the cloak he was wearing, taking some of the wrinkles off his shoulders while lessening the press of fabric onto his more casual tunic and pants. Moving to the shelves that lined his small tower room, Mathius continued to peruse the titles, looking for the right book. Eventually, he began muttering to himself as he continued his search.
“The Researcher’s Guide to the Forbidden Arts, Elemental Magics from Air to Void, Shadows and Shapeshifters: A Guide to Demonkin Races... Things That Bored Wizards Created: A Book of Warnings... Ah, here we are...”
Taking the heavy, leather bound tome from the shelf, he took it to his desk and blew the dust off it. The cover, embossed with ‘History of the Time of Rift, the Forming of the Council of Twelve, and the Effects of the Realm of Man’, was visible for only a few moments before the book was flipped open by the young advisor, who quickly flipped to a part of the book relevant to his search:
---
As the worlds of man began to fully embrace the god’s gift of magic, experimentation with the phenomenon known as rifts was quite common before proper magic formation was made. As a result, the discovery of the many astral planes before proper care was taken resulted in many creatures revolving into the realm. At first, this wasn’t seen as a major problem, as many wizards used these creatures found in the riftplains for either their own amusement, while others experimented on the creatures they discovered.
As more and more sentient creatures came through the rifts created by wizards, however, this soon led to many wizards asking about the safety of bringing so many alien creatures into the realm. These new creatures would pollute the local wilderness and the creatures with the riftspawn. Additionally, many of the creatures brought into the realm began forming houses and arguing for equal rights with the natives, having been wrenched from their own lands and left as refugees over time.
Eventually, the greatest wizards of the land decided that something needed to be done. Thus, the forming of the first Wizard’s High Council, where everyone who knew magic would answer to if they went beyond the call of sense in their magical exploration. Rift experiments were also outlawed during that time, and to this day, were not allowed to begin again.

---​
A clattering of metal heralded the arrival of one of the castle’s information carts, the little metal construct arriving on its little brass rails from somewhere in the castle’s depths. Pausing his reading, he went to the delicate construct, nothing more than a trio of wheels around a frame containing an energy crystal to run the machine, where short messages could ferry in notices and letters without sending valuable guards to the far reaches of the castle.
Taking a scroll from the machine, he sent the little device down the rail again, a soft whirling from the wheels squeaked on the way down. Mathius opened the scroll, looking over the writing before adding it to the pile, giving a sigh. “Great, court needs me,” he mutters, quietly flipping his hood over his head and headed to the door. Before exiting the tower, he grabbed his staff, a worn piece of Blackroot wood with several magic-laced minerals jammed into the knot at the top, in case King Malius required his magical talents.

OP
lurker

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Bits and pieces, because that's all it seems I can write >,>

---​

Mathius went through the large doors as the guards swung them open, the two humans (at least, he assumed they were, under the armor they wore) standing at attention for the mage as he went through. As he strode up the long hall, he cast his eyes forward, the sunlit windows on each side darkening every so often due to the coming stormclouds.

Before him, in a large throne made to handle his large frame, sat King Gratorous Malius, a rather muscular specimen of the Hargorn clan of Riftborn. His rather robust frame showed some more subtle tinges of the otherworldly aspect of the Riftborn, such as his almost black, charcoal skin and hooves for feet, but otherwise he seemed respectably human in comparison to some of the kin of his clan. Mathius could remember seeing a good chunk of the humans and Riftborn that made up Malius’s family, but most of them stayed in the royal family’s chambers, and he personally didn’t frequent them much.

To Malius’s right was his other advisor, a hunched figure in a dark, blacked cloak. The mere sight of the cowled figure made Mathius grimace to himself under his hood in advert disdain. Chaspel, a pathetic creature that gained his position via inheritance, was always at odds with Mathius’s judgments and suggestions, as if the creature was trying desperately to sabotage the kingdom on purpose. Even still, Mathius can’t recall seeing the creature out of his robe, or any part of him that wasn’t covered for that matter.

Upon reaching a few meters off of the throne, Mathius stooped into a bow before his liege. “You sent for me, your majesty?”

Malius wordlessly gestured with his hand, giving Mathius credence to rise. “I did. Reports have been coming that something has happened at Axitan, and attempts to send messengers there would be too slow to see if trouble has befallen them. I wish for you to try and contact one of the scryers stationed there, and see what information you can learn. Hopefully, this is just wild rumors and not true disaster.”

A loud cough interjected the end of the King’s words, and Chaspel’s cold, silky voice swiftly filled the gap. “Truly, sire, is using magic really required in this situation? I’m sure the wizard has...” he paused, staring at Mathius with surely a scathing look if his face was visible. “...Other duties, like his studies, to worry about a simple matter of playing messenger.”

“Calm your tongue, silktalker,” Mathius said quietly, trying to hold back the venom caused by his distaste for the loathsome creature. “If the King wishes a task of me, I will do it gladly. Something I’m sure that you could take notice of-“

“Enough...” Malius interjected, giving a grumbling sigh. “Chaspel, your wishes for the Court Sorcerer’s well-being and training is admirable; however I do wish to know what is happening in my providences. Please, my orders do not come blindly.”

Chaspel said nothing more, and Mathius quietly allowed the image of the robed creature throwing a temper tantrum to cross into his mind before he quietly nodded. “Unless you seek me for other matters, my lord...”

Malius shook his head. “Good luck, Mathius Spellsworn,” the King replied, signaling with his hand for him to be off.