What's new

A new CYOA

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: A new CYOA

Permission granted, if you'd like to use DG. I could even chuck ideas at you if you didn't want to go with a plain old demoness.

I can't actually speak for RJ, but I doubt that he'd mind much either, particularly given the amount of work he's put into the NPCs for MGI.
I may launch 2 CYOAs if this is the case, since I'm considering the Portal one already.

However, using DG/DG2 as a setting would possibly make for a fun CYOA. Though I'm unsure if I'd lean towards DG1, knowing how it turns out at the end (at least mostly, still waiting on the wrapping up thread to move along), or DG2, which has a minor risk of other characters bumping into the "PC"s of the CYOA.

... Yes, I was thinking of using multiple PCs for the voters to go after in different ways if we ran this game.

I've got a few other ideas kicking around, some I've used before in RPs, some new, but overall, I think I'm going to use these settings first, due to one being unique, and one having much potential...

... @Tass: Let's discuss potential run of a DG2 setting maybe... have a few ideas for this...

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

However, using DG/DG2 as a setting would possibly make for a fun CYOA. Though I'm unsure if I'd lean towards DG1, knowing how it turns out at the end (at least mostly, still waiting on the wrapping up thread to move along), or DG2, which has a minor risk of other characters bumping into the "PC"s of the CYOA.

... Yes, I was thinking of using multiple PCs for the voters to go after in different ways if we ran this game.
DG1 might be easier, given that the antagonists are actually intelligent and capable of talking. The DG2 bad guys are mostly non-sentient tentacle monsters, not much room for characterization. The wrap-up thread is mostly going to be going through the end fight with Natalie at this point, plus whatever the PCs involved decide to do after that's over and done with. Still, you could always go with an aside if you wanted to stay in DG2.

Multiple PCs would be great, particularly if you're planning on going through the character sheets thread and taking ones people actually made.

... @Tass: Let's discuss potential run of a DG2 setting maybe... have a few ideas for this...
Ask, and I shall answer!

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

DG1 might be easier, given that the antagonists are actually intelligent and capable of talking. The DG2 bad guys are mostly non-sentient tentacle monsters, not much room for characterization. The wrap-up thread is mostly going to be going through the end fight with Natalie at this point, plus whatever the PCs involved decide to do after that's over and done with. Still, you could always go with an aside if you wanted to stay in DG2.

Multiple PCs would be great, particularly if you're planning on going through the character sheets thread and taking ones people actually made.

Ask, and I shall answer!
Gak. No. It would be unique characters. All originals. If I went DG1. If I slipped into DG2 (which I haven't been keeping up on as well, so I don't know a lot about the plot so far), then I'd possibly reuse Sable and a couple of her children.

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

1) A, and partially D as I simply love your writing.

As per 2) though, although I'm generally a large advocate of the fantasy genre... I'm actually horribly curious as to your take of the portal/half life universe. Mainly as it's possibly the only sci-fi setting I've managed to become utterly enthralled in, or left for wanting thus far. (Damn it Valve, where's Episode 3?) If all else fails though, I'll cast my vote for either Half Life setting/Generic Fantasy/Dark Gate. :p

Luppikun

Tentacle God
Reputation score

*Facepalms*
You two realize that Portal and Half-Life are THE SAME SETTING. There's large numbers of references throughout portal to the old Black Mesa compound, even in Still Alive.
Nuh uh! Portal takes place in Aperture Science, and Half-Life in Black Mesa! XP

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Nuh uh! Portal takes place in Aperture Science, and Half-Life in Black Mesa! XP
Cute.

Anyhow... getting a few more pieces of stuff together, and I'll be starting something shortly.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay, got a basic plot in mind, but now I'd like to know one last thing while I'm finishing launch preparation.

Would you guys rather
a) Play alone as one of the AI variants*, with goals and objectives for your own purpose.
b) Play alone as one of the AI variants*, with a very simplistic goal, and the general task to defeat the targets.
c) Allow the other AIs to be a force in the game, not able to be gone after, but usable for your purposes. Another bad guy.
d) Allow the other AIs to be a force in the game, including the ability to go after her as a victim. Another bad guy, but perhaps a rival on some levels, requiring you to stop her, while she may attempt to stop you as well.
e) Other: Explain.

*AI variant - Not any AI from existing portals, but has some loose similarities. Her role in the facility will help be determined by what the facility has in it.

Edits after discussion:
There will be multiple AIs in the building, if you vote A or B, the general idea is the other AIs are passive and the voters will be the ones in charge of the rogue AI. If you vote C or D, the other AIs will become active members of the RP as co-villains.

Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

B or D, though I lean towards B for simplicity. So, unless there's a tie that needs breaking, my vote is B.

Diagasvesle

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Hmmm... I like C personally... D sounds like the character is a force of nature.

OP
K

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Meh, ignore previous vote, after much discussion and character creation, it's been decided there will be 3 AIs in the facility. Voters will get to play as one of them.

Different objectives may be achieved in different ways... The game is pretty much ready now, I just need to have some time and motivation to get the first post rolling.