What's new

A save editor for RPG Maker

woody07

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: A save editor for RPG Maker MV

how do you use this code is it an ini file or do you add it to another game file

emerald

Demon Girl
Reputation score

how do you use this code is it an ini file or do you add it to another game file
You would use it by creating a plugin for RPG Maker MV. The most basic way would be:
  1. save it into a file called Plugin_Name.js and place that file in www\js\plugins
  2. edit the plugins.js file in www\js to include the new plugin by adding {"name":"Plugin_Name","status":true,"description":"","parameters":{}} at the end of the list of plugins
    • Make sure you don't break the js format when adding new plugins
    • one entry per line, comma at the end of the line between each entry

Alternately for the extremely lazy, you could just add the code to any other js file in the www/js folder (ex. paste it in the bottom of main.js). This probably isn't best practice... but its really easy.

Alternately x2 you could add the mentioned that allows you to open the console with F8, and use that to just paste the code into the console while the game is running.

The game may need to be unpacked before you can do this if its been placed inside an EnigmaVB executable. These tools can be used for that: post

This code probably wont work for all games (I tried to make it pretty general though). I made it for a game I was testing (which it worked perfectly for). If games modify the default battler and actor systems this won't work. Also games might not keep the player actor in the same index of the $gameActor._data array.

If you really just want to cheat on some specific game, I would have to have that game in front of me. Someone with more motivation could make a program to automatically patch the needed files, but that isn't me.

Last edited:

Seipher

Tentacle God
Reputation score

What would you change in the god mode plugin to change the characters actor location if it isnt 001? or is it even possible to make it for the whole party?

tried with the dieselmine mv game and it didnt seem to work

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Not sure if it fits in with what your doing, but I thought it might be semi-relevant to this train of though.

Instead of using Cheat Engine or editing the saves a I've found its pretty easy to just open the console for the game (it has to be enabled for deployed games, this script/plugin can do that ).
That's interesting, thanks for telling me. But I've found that anything with the words "console" and "plugin" is too hard for "normal" people to use reliably.

What would you change in the god mode plugin to change the characters actor location if it isnt 001? or is it even possible to make it for the whole party?

tried with the dieselmine mv game and it didnt seem to work
Toggle player._through and wallhack your way to victory instead?

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

OK. I've got a new tool that finally seems to work on all saves for VX/VX Ace. No guarantees though: there seems to be some games with really sick saves.

Always work on copies of your save files and if you find a game where the tool crashes or ruins your save then tell me.

batanegra

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

OK. I've got a new tool that finally seems to work on all saves for VX/VX Ace. No guarantees though: there seems to be some games with really sick saves.

Always work on copies of your save files and if you find a game where the tool crashes or ruins your save then tell me.
when wee could see it in the forum and how it works?

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

when wee could see it in the forum and how it works?
It's attached to the first post in this thread, sorry if that was unclear.

Download, unzip, launch editor, open save file, edit, close window to save.

batanegra

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

It's attached to the first post in this thread, sorry if that was unclear.

Download, unzip, launch editor, open save file, edit, close window to save.
i tried it, and just works with some games like futamega, games like adorevia o the last sovereing it just crash, i don't know if it just the save or if i have to download the tool again.
anyway, great tool, with the games i tried, apart the two mentioned, it works really well so thanks :D

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

i tried it, and just works with some games like futamega, games like adorevia o the last sovereing it just crash, i don't know if it just the save or if i have to download the tool again.
anyway, great tool, with the games i tried, apart the two mentioned, it works really well so thanks :D
If the editor crashes then it's a usually an error on my part. Or rather, me being lazy and hoping that game makers don't put any arbitrary crap into the save file.

I've uploaded a new version that should work with saves from Adorevia.

Elarithon

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score
Re: A save editor for RPG Maker

I would love it if the XP/VX/Ace save editor worked the way the MV editor works, where you can edit any and all values, if that's even possible.
Still, very good work.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I would love it if the XP/VX/Ace save editor worked the way the MV editor works, where you can edit any and all values, if that's even possible.
Still, very good work.
The MV files are just compressed, base64 encoded JSON so all I had to do was decode it and dump the JSON to file.

The older files are Ruby Marshal data. With just about any junk that was in the game state when the user saved. That makes them fairly easy to read -- I just skip all entries I don't care about -- but editing "anything" is considerably harder without breaking the file. Not impossible, mind you, I do harder things at work.

But start by scouring the web to see if there does not already exist a tool for editing marshaled Ruby data.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I found the editor crashed on saves from ヴァイブレーション so I fixed that.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I've added support for editing characters's stat bonuses (HP, attack, etc). You can't edit stats directly as they're derived from class + level but you can edit the bonuses. Remember that some games rename and re-purpose the stats so the names in the editor may not match what's in-game.

Let me know how it works.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Added support for editing switches, which are one of the tools RPG Maker commonly uses to keep track of what you have done in the game (the other two being self-switches and variables.) Exactly what you can achieve by editing switches differs between games. A few games store which events/cg you have unlocked in switches. All store how far you've progressed in the plot.

Editing switches can really break your save, so I've hidden it under the advanced-menu. Don't toggle any switch you don't understand what it does :)

I need to load the switch names from the game data so it only works if the save file is in its normal location in the game directory, and it doesn't work on encrypted MV games.

Porkbunny

Demon Girl
Reputation score

can't edit the morality with this tool. :confused::confused:

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

can't edit the morality with this tool. :confused::confused:
Morality is a custom script, and not all games have morality, if they do have morality it may not all be the same scripting, same applies for different currencies, affection systems, etc. these are things that would require multiple custom filters or data set to find since it is not a constant that they will be there for each game.

what I believe the save editor does is target core address locations within a save that are a native part of RPG maker even if such things like stats are renamed, and allows you to edit values based on that line of thinking.
that being said it could be possible to access inventory, but you (maybe) wouldn't know what items are what just the data values. but with trial and error you could figure out the data values and compile a list of what each means.

if anything is wrong with my post froggus can correct it since it's his program.

also noticed some lack of stat options when editing VX saves is it because more then three isn't default or just odd error?

Last edited:

luci23

Reputation score

Wow, this is really helpful!
Was stuck because of a bug that didnt let me regenerate mana on a rpg, for days.
Thank you

PICO

Cthulhu
Reputation score

finally have a save editor work with vx ace!!

rpg maker vx ace is the real problem

because game rpg maker lot of dev use rpg maker vx ace

and only cheat save editor rpg maker in this world has
is a freaking SGEdit

and SGEdit is work only for xp/vx.....

so no love for vx ace
unless you install and use cheat engine to vx ace

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Morality is a custom script, and not all games have morality, if they do have morality it may not all be the same scripting, same applies for different currencies, affection systems, etc. these are things that would require multiple custom filters or data set to find since it is not a constant that they will be there for each game.

what I believe the save editor does is target core address locations within a save that are a native part of RPG maker even if such things like stats are renamed, and allows you to edit values based on that line of thinking.
that being said it could be possible to access inventory, but you (maybe) wouldn't know what items are what just the data values. but with trial and error you could figure out the data values and compile a list of what each means.

if anything is wrong with my post froggus can correct it since it's his program.
You're pretty much correct. No need to get bogged down in the details :)

also noticed some lack of stat options when editing VX saves is it because more then three isn't default or just odd error?
That's an oversight on my part. I fixed it a while ago but hadn't released it because I thought I'd be done with item editing sooner. I've attached a new version of the editor to edit all bonus stats in VX saves.

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

finally have a save editor work with vx ace!!

rpg maker vx ace is the real problem

because game rpg maker lot of dev use rpg maker vx ace

and only cheat save editor rpg maker in this world has
is a freaking SGEdit

and SGEdit is work only for xp/vx.....

so no love for vx ace
unless you install and use cheat engine to vx ace
also works on MV saves, I haven't tried it with XP but he's covered the three major ones so I pretty much just call it a universal save edit. it's great for 3rd party bug checking especially after the game is cobbled together and pushed out because sometimes it's really easy to miss stuff when you are staring at codes and switches all day.