What's new

A save editor for RPG Maker

PICO

Cthulhu
Reputation score
Re: A save editor for RPG Maker

also works on MV saves, I haven't tried it with XP but he's covered the three major ones so I pretty much just call it a universal save edit. it's great for 3rd party bug checking especially after the game is cobbled together and pushed out because sometimes it's really easy to miss stuff when you are staring at codes and switches all day.
it have two file on it

first are sgedit for edit save vx
second are sgeditlf for edit save xp (maybe)

no save edittor for vx ace sine this come up
lot of people recommand me to go install a cheat engine
which i don't want to

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

no save edittor for vx ace sine this come up
lot of people recommand me to go install a cheat engine
which i don't want to
the one that has 51 is the latest release,

what this does is allow you to edit how much primary currency you have, and the bonus stats of what ever cached npcs are in the save. (fair warning Harem Collector is pretty bad about making nonsense things npcs even the journal has stats XD)

but yeah I think froggus is working on a future one that may allow access to inventory not sure how indepth that will be or if it the concept gets scrapped but what the editor allows you accomplish is quite a bit. and you can play with the switches of some games but it's kind of hit or miss and can bug out the games easily so unless you know what you are doing there's really no point in touching them.

Bloodly

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I appreciate that both of these exist.

But(Of course there's a 'but') I kinda wish you could mess with the party. Add and remove members, sort of thing. Maybe I lack understanding of these things-would such be difficult?

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

I appreciate that both of these exist.

But(Of course there's a 'but') I kinda wish you could mess with the party. Add and remove members, sort of thing. Maybe I lack understanding of these things-would such be difficult?
But why do it using a cheat engine? Why not just open the game with that save, remove the person from your formation, and then save again? And you couldn't add anyone that isn't already a potential party member in either case. Trying to add a member you haven't even met in-game seems like a real game breaker...

Porkbunny

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Morality is a custom script, and not all games have morality, if they do have morality it may not all be the same scripting, same applies for different currencies, affection systems, etc. these are things that would require multiple custom filters or data set to find since it is not a constant that they will be there for each game.

what I believe the save editor does is target core address locations within a save that are a native part of RPG maker even if such things like stats are renamed, and allows you to edit values based on that line of thinking.
that being said it could be possible to access inventory, but you (maybe) wouldn't know what items are what just the data values. but with trial and error you could figure out the data values and compile a list of what each means.

if anything is wrong with my post froggus can correct it since it's his program.

also noticed some lack of stat options when editing VX saves is it because more then three isn't default or just odd error?
I am wondering, Is it even possible to decrypt the save file? because I noticed when opening the save files from notepad++, it shows the morality and all but the values are obfuscated, and thus it's not possible to edit. but I believe if it's decrypted in someway, it will allow to edit the whole save file. and of course it has to be encrypted back too otherwise the game won't recognize the save.

PICO

Cthulhu
Reputation score

how is that work
i try to open it but it stop working everytime

can you put tuturial picture how to use tham pls?

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I am wondering, Is it even possible to decrypt the save file? because I noticed when opening the save files from notepad++, it shows the morality and all but the values are obfuscated, and thus it's not possible to edit. but I believe if it's decrypted in someway, it will allow to edit the whole save file. and of course it has to be encrypted back too otherwise the game won't recognize the save.
this is froggus's project, and he works on it when he feels he has time to do so.
that being said decryption and encryption of such things may be possible but as my simplistic explanation was trying to point out would be far too time consuming or ineffectual.

partial explanation on why affection won't be touched upon in the immediate future (things may or may not change.)
the program would have to boot up, find the script, determine which script is in there then have that script's decryption and encryption codes all within a timely manner now picture froggus having to do this for 40+ scripts, possibly even having to add a toggle system to remove some steps so that the program doesn't take a minute+ to load.

He would basically have to have knowledge of each custom script how it works, how they are encoded, etc. very timely things for someone who does this when he feels like it for fun, as a means to help progress through games easier and quicker to view the content.

oh and someone asked for a picture tutorial? I'm not going to create a picture because it's very straight forward but

Gold=Primary currency can be named what ever in game but is Gold by default in core, click the numeric value adjust to what you feel is the right amount will instantly be available in save.

Experience = amount of experience, each game has a unique experience curve, I personally do not play around with experience because some game makers put in traps either by purpose or by mistake when you level up too quickly or too much before a certain point, especially games with fixed amount of battles and exp. but basically input the amount of exp, go into a fight, win fight = quick levels.

Stats = Bonus Stats these are stats that are not dictated by level, items or events will generally effect these values but as a rule of thumb I generally say 1-999 for value range (some games can go higher) I generally go with 500 for each this generally seems to work for me. (tho just as a side note please take note of which npc's actually have mp first. it's silly to add if they can't use.) this is also an instant effect

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

how is that work
i try to open it but it stop working everytime

can you put tuturial picture how to use tham pls?
RpgMakerSaveEdit is mostly self-explanatory -- when you can get it to work. Let's try to figure out what's wrong.

First, try to open save files from a few different games. It may be that you have a game that puts strange things it its save files.

If no game works open the windows explorer and go to
Code:
%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework
Is there a folder there whose name starts with v4.0? If not you need to upgrade your .NET framework.

Finally, open the windows event viewer and search for errors with the source ".NET Runtime" at the date and time you tried to open the editor. Find any error messages there?

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

I've added half-assed support for editing variables. What I do is extract the variable names from the game itself, match them against the variables array in the file, then edit only those that contain an integer.

This is less than ideal but should get you pretty far, though it depends on the game maker giving the variables names that make sense and on you being able to read the language they're named in. It also still leaves a lot of game-specific data that is buried deeper out of reach.

Remember to always work on backups. In addition to the risk that I've messed up and the save will be damaged editing switches and variables can wreck your game by putting it in a state that it's not supposed to be in.

Next, inventory editing.

Bloodly

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

But why do it using a cheat engine? Why not just open the game with that save, remove the person from your formation, and then save again? And you couldn't add anyone that isn't already a potential party member in either case. Trying to add a member you haven't even met in-game seems like a real game breaker...
Put it this way;

There are games that only give you certain party members for certain events only, or even in a longer-than-average Bad End. Wanting to use those party members long-term or in the regular game is the ideal, here.

An equivalent would be wanting to use Seifer long-term in FF8. Just to muck around.

Does that explain it better? Yes, it may cause some extra hassles and problems. But if we're going this far, you're likely prepared for that level of annoyance.

Last edited:

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Put it this way;

There are games that only give you certain party members for certain events only, or even in a longer-than-average Bad End. Wanting to use those party members long-term or in the regular game is the ideal, here.

An equivalent would be wanting to use Seifer long-term in FF8. Just to muck around.

Does that explain it better? Yes, it may cause some extra hassles and problems. But if we're going this far, you're likely prepared for that level of annoyance.
But that requires that the code for these events already be written and buried in the game - there isn't a magic wand that would create the code from scratch just because someone wants it. Someone has to WRITE it ... AFAIK ... and we're not talking about a whole group such as what supports the FF games. You are talking something that would work for any game - and all these are small if not completely indie games with one person for the most part...

Extra hassles and problems is putting it mildly :eek:

TaTiToTu

Reputation score

would it be possible to add a way to rename characters?

pristinity

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

Is it possible to have empty or null variables show in advanced options?

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

would it be possible to add a way to rename characters?
Not properly. Only games that allow you to name the characters are coded to actually use the name. So you could rename the character but the original name would still be used in all dialogue.

Is it possible to have empty or null variables show in advanced options?
I'd have to rework some things (the only change the editor can do is to replace one integer with another integer) and it would be dangerous. I can tell that variables that contain integers are supposed to contain integers because that's what they do, but for null variables I can't know if they're supposed to contain a string, an integer, an array or something else, and putting the wrong kind of value there would make the game bug out when it tries to use the value.

Carrnage

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Odd I can use my first save from the last sovreign but all later saves don't work, possibly due to the game starting to track a variable the editor doesnt support?

event log for anyone interested.
Application: RpgMakerSaveEdit.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadEntry()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadArray()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadObject()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadHash()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.RbReader.ReadFile()
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.Vx.VxAceSavedGame.Create(RpgMakerSaveEdit.IFile)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.SavedGame.Create(RpgMakerSaveEdit.IFile)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.MainWindow..ctor(RpgMakerSaveEdit.IFile)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.App.OnStartup(System.Object, System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at RpgMakerSaveEdit.App.Main()

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

what version? because I don't have the issue with multiple saves for the Last sovereign and I use V0.20.2

Edit: Variables are switches really shouldn't be messed with in Last Sovereign, in most cases the save editor doesn't effect them even if you try to edit them (probably for the best) also there is a warning about messing with those, anything in the advanced menu, is more or less no touchy unless you know what you are doing.

so outside of a crash report any specific actions in the program you took into the saves before the results started happening may help narrow down the issue.

Last edited:

Carrnage

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

what version? because I don't have the issue with multiple saves for the Last sovereign and I use V0.20.2

Edit: Variables are switches really shouldn't be messed with in Last Sovereign, in most cases the save editor doesn't effect them even if you try to edit them (probably for the best) also there is a warning about messing with those, anything in the advanced menu, is more or less no touchy unless you know what you are doing.

so outside of a crash report any specific actions in the program you took into the saves before the results started happening may help narrow down the issue.
I'm using version 0.20.2 too. and this error is for saves that the save editor has never touched before.

It might have to do with using cheat engine a "little" though. :eek:

Codemonkey

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'm using version 0.20.2 too. and this error is for saves that the save editor has never touched before.

It might have to do with using cheat engine a "little" though. :eek:
then I don't think it's so much an error with the editor program as it is you some how corrupted your TLS game with Cheat engine by accident. if you go through this thread you can more or less get an Idea of how the editor works it doesn't really mess with active states of the program only allows one to read and (re)write specific data that is in the save file itself.

cheat engine is a program that actively searches and alters data points and a couple wrong ones or forgetting the fact that rpg makers constantly change values on things can cause corruption.

if you still have the TLS zip or is it a rar, try making a second copy of the game on your machine and generate a bunch of saves without cheat engine if the problem persists then it needs to be looked into, if those saves have no issue then you accidentally corrupted you original copy of TLS somehow with cheat engine.

OP
F

Froggus

Tentacle Monster
Reputation score

Odd I can use my first save from the last sovreign but all later saves don't work, possibly due to the game starting to track a variable the editor doesnt support?

event log for anyone interested.
I never played far in that game but its saves work for me.

There should be an error message attached to the exception on the form "Can not handle x type." where x is the type of the unexpected data in your file. Can you find it and tell me what the letter is?

Carrnage

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I never played far in that game but its saves work for me.

There should be an error message attached to the exception on the form "Can not handle x type." where x is the type of the unexpected data in your file. Can you find it and tell me what the letter is?
Can't find anything like that attached, there is another Eventlog ocurring for the same error though under application error.
Faulting application name: RpgMakerSaveEdit.exe, version: 0.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x57aa2fad
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.206, time stamp: 0x57dac9f3
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017788
Faulting process id: 0x1da4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d21d1b5fed611a
Faulting application path: C:\Users\[username]\Downloads\RpgMakerSaveEdit 0.52\RpgMakerSaveEdit.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 53018037-bc50-4ef5-bb57-af7574ba77bb
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: