What's new

"Big News for Kimochi & Nutaku"

bluewr

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: "Big News for Kimochi & Nutaku"

Another concern seems to be that Nutaku is pretty tame, due to their payment processer, so beside the no loli and beastility content, they also apprantly don't allow tentacle(The mod didn't dispute that)

But they said they will make an announcement in the future soon, on what is ok to sell on their platform, and what isn't.

blobzerz

Tentacle God
Reputation score

(The mod didn't dispute that
Kimochi mod? Because if you are refering to conversation on discord during the weekend mod didn't dispute that since mod is not an Nutaku employee and has no knowledge about it :p

[edit] ahh you obviously meant topic you linked which my blind eyes missed :) i was bit confused since there was similiar conversation on a discord :)

Last edited:

Wayne

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Nutaku Is a Subdevision Of DMM BAsicaly DMM USe Nutaku FOr GAmews thay think would sell in a english market so Nutaku Translates thasm to english and sells Than NUtaku wont Fade FRom EXsistence UNless DMM DEsides to PUll ther PLug on NUtaku Das NUtaku OWn Kimichi NO Kimichi Is a SEpret COmpany BAsicalyu KImichi ANd Nutaku HAve a HAndshake AGreement ie NUttacku HAndels THe FInance side Of things ANd if YOU have a BIz Sence YOU knowe what im TAlking about

Keep

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Nutaku Is a Subdevision Of DMM BAsicaly DMM USe Nutaku FOr GAmews thay think would sell in a english market so Nutaku Translates thasm to english and sells Than NUtaku wont Fade FRom EXsistence UNless DMM DEsides to PUll ther PLug on NUtaku Das NUtaku OWn Kimichi NO Kimichi Is a SEpret COmpany BAsicalyu KImichi ANd Nutaku HAve a HAndshake AGreement ie NUttacku HAndels THe FInance side Of things ANd if YOU have a BIz Sence YOU knowe what im TAlking about

HentaiWriter

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think Wayne might have had a bit too much party time, lmao

bluewr

Grim Reaper
Reputation score

Care to try that in English?

Leethar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Some of you are jumping to a lot of conclusions without knowledge of what is going on. I can't blame you for a large chunk of the lack of knowledge as it's just not publicly available but the jumping to conclusions and assuming you have to be right is all on you. If you want to feel/express frustration about something, that's one thing but downing an entire company and everyone in it over your frustration is more than unfair.

I'm going to try to address some of the comments I remember reading through this thread. I saw a lot of them but I'm only going to remember some... (Yeah, this is going to sound a bit terse but choosing to be negative instead of asking questions or trying to understand something is the behavior that I don't understand and have little patience for?)

Kimochi mod and tentacles - yup, the mod did not address that at all. Assuming that means it's true based only on that is conspiracy theory style "proof". It wasn't addressed, as someone else guessed, because there isn't any info to address it with. A lack of info does not constitute not allowed. What will not be allowed is based on what legal fights Nutaku thinks it can win AND what requirements their payment processors say they have to follow to keep from being denied service. Since the obscenity laws are so vaguely written they are constantly being reinterpreted and the payment processors are constantly changing their minds; what is and isn't allowed changes a lot. That's not something that is just the whim of Nutaku.

Developer contact - the requirements a company has in communicating with those who have relationships with the prior incarnation of another company upon acquisition is a product of any contract that was held previously. Some people here have made comments with which I can't understand how they could be sure they are right on without having access to those contracts. What I can tell you is that making sure Kimochi has up to date contact info was not Kimochi's responsibility. Once Kimochi declared it was closing, keeping that info up to date would not seem important. So, now Nutaku has Kimochi's out dated contact lists. As for developers trying to contact Nutaku/Kimochi; the former people in charge are no longer in charge and the old contact info to reach them no longer works. Nutaku is currently in the process of trying to contact all the developers connected to Kimochi. (Whoever guessed that a group was being put together to try to reach out to developers was correct.) A post has even been created on the Kimochi forums trying to reach developers not yet reached. The forum wasw never shut down and has been running the whole time. No developer has posted any request or reached out to it's mods asking for help contacting someone at Nutaku about their game.

Breeding Season - Sorry to those who loved the game (the way it imploded really sucks) but it is only a single game among hundreds. It may seem absurd to those who have been following it's development, but many people are still not aware of what happened. In this community; Breeding Season is BIG news. Outside of a community similar to this, it's tiny news. Also, I don't know what is going on all the way around, but Nutaku has been in contact with SOMEONE from Breeding Season.

Contact before release - Part of this was covered above, here's the other part: Kimochi announced it was shutting down but the store only closed for a short period of time. Nutaku did not make the announcement to join with Kimochi and then start up the store, the store had been open for many weeks. This is not a change of state. If it was, a message saying something like; "Hey, were opening the store again; we need to talk." makes a lot of sense. In this case, the message "Hey, nothing's changed so we need to talk" doesn't make much sense.

Kimochi for 64 bit windows - yup, the client is 64 bit. Kimochi was working on a 32 bit version before closing though. (I have the prototype.) There has not yet been a talk about a 32 bit release but I REALLY doubt it will remain only 64 bit. There's just too much market share missed with only 64 bit.

Another point to make - Japanese game developers actually do not care at all about the Western market (for the most part, as with all generalizations there are absolutely exceptions). Kimochi tried very hard to drum up interest with Japanese developers. Most were "not interested", some were VERY "not interested", and some where "interested but unable". Pretty much all of them saw little to no value in reaching the Western Market. (To be fair; many of the talent contracts within Japan cover only releases inside Japan and would need to be completely renegotiated for release outside or expressly forbid it.) It's also not unusual for even mainstream games with Japanese developers to have "agreement issues". Cultural differences make this a particularly difficult issue to navigate. I'm not absolving Nutaku (or DMM) of all wrong here but this issue is really complicated and a humongous about of back and forth happens. Trying to sum it up with simple, black/white declarations is true folly.

blubbat0r

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Developer contact - the requirements a company has in communicating with those who have relationships with the prior incarnation of another company upon acquisition is a product of any contract that was held previously. Some people here have made comments with which I can't understand how they could be sure they are right on without having access to those contracts. What I can tell you is that making sure Kimochi has up to date contact info was not Kimochi's responsibility. Once Kimochi declared it was closing, keeping that info up to date would not seem important. So, now Nutaku has Kimochi's out dated contact lists. As for developers trying to contact Nutaku/Kimochi; the former people in charge are no longer in charge and the old contact info to reach them no longer works. Nutaku is currently in the process of trying to contact all the developers connected to Kimochi. (Whoever guessed that a group was being put together to try to reach out to developers was correct.) A post has even been created on the Kimochi forums trying to reach developers not yet reached. The forum wasw never shut down and has been running the whole time. No developer has posted any request or reached out to it's mods asking for help contacting someone at Nutaku about their game.

Contact before release - Part of this was covered above, here's the other part: Kimochi announced it was shutting down but the store only closed for a short period of time. Nutaku did not make the announcement to join with Kimochi and then start up the store, the store had been open for many weeks. This is not a change of state. If it was, a message saying something like; "Hey, were opening the store again; we need to talk." makes a lot of sense. In this case, the message "Hey, nothing's changed so we need to talk" doesn't make much sense.
This addresses mostly my posts I guess. At no point did I assert that they (nutaku, not komichi) were legally/contractually obligated to immediately contact any devs with games on the kimochi store. You are right that without knowing anything about those contracts nobody should make a statement in that regard.

However, I stand by my opinion that it is "bad business" not to do so before publicly announcing the takeover of the service and that's what I had been saying before as well. And yes, considering that a few devs are trying to get in contact to find out what this means for their games shows that a message to the effect of "Hey, we've taken over but for you nothing has changed" would've been a good first step in the right direction.

In my mind there is a clear distinction between doing the bare minimum you are legally/contractually obligated and actual good business practices and certain kinds of communication with people you are in business with are a part of that.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that there's genuine excitement and passion behind what Nutaku does... it's just that a lot of the time taking care of things properly before breaking big news to the public and making sure all the information etc. is there, and everything is in place would be the better way to go. I'm not saying there is any bad intent behind any of this, by no means. It's just that altogether it gives me an impression of lack of experience/organization/direction and nothing's really changed much in that regard since the launch of LoV.

I just expect a bit more from a big budget professional business/company in that regard, maybe that's wrong... I don't know.

In regards to the japanese devs, yep that's pretty much what I've heard/seen so far as well, both in the indy/smut "genres" as well as in AAA. Although it seems at least many of the major players in AAA are working on changing their stance lately, slowly but surely. One can only hope that in the long term this will also influence how things go on "our" side of the spectrum.^^

Last edited:

Rawr1125

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Kimochi mod and tentacles - yup, the mod did not address that at all. Assuming that means it's true based only on that is conspiracy theory style "proof". It wasn't addressed, as someone else guessed, because there isn't any info to address it with. A lack of info does not constitute not allowed. What will not be allowed is based on what legal fights Nutaku thinks it can win AND what requirements their payment processors say they have to follow to keep from being denied service. Since the obscenity laws are so vaguely written they are constantly being reinterpreted and the payment processors are constantly changing their minds; what is and isn't allowed changes a lot. That's not something that is just the whim of Nutaku.

Well, it'd be nice if someone could get them to address it. Or to address whatever happened to Taimanin Asagi which was supposedly coming LOOOONG ago.

Also, I'm curious as to why they edited this card to plant tentacles.

AHA! FOUND THE EDIT!

The other card in PPS with tentacles was already a plant, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Not sure about the other characters on Osawari Island, but Sierra got the same thing.

So unless Nutaku actually says something about it, I'm still getting a tentacles are bad but plants are fine message. o_O

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

The real issue is that Kimochi/Nutaku did not promptly communicate to Devs that it was not closing earlier this year. While I cannot speak for US Law, UK Law would interpret this as Kimochi giving it's intent to sever the contract on the announced closure date (as it effectively announced that it would not sell the goods after this date, which breaks the contract). In this case any change in this status should be communicated as soon as possible (i.e. as soon as Nutaku reached out to Kimochi), even if the message was 'we might not be shutting down quite yet, although we can't disclose the details of why this is'. As Nutaku/Kimochi failed to do this in a timely manner, UK Law would not look favourably upon the assertion 'it's the Dev's responsibility to provide up to date contact information' because the Dev's had every reason to believe the contract was severed and therefore they had no responsibilities or obligations under that contact - the fault is entirely on the poor communications of Nutaku/Kimochi. And, bluntly, I would be amazed if US Law found differently.

Hell, it would probably go further than what I've said. If the Dev's have been given a reason to believe that the contract are severed, Nutaku may not even have the right to distribute/sell the Dev's content any more. This isn't just bad communication, or bad business practice: Kimochi/Nutaku failed their common law responsibilities regarding the contract first, by failing to communicate the situation to relevant parties in a timely manner.

Leethar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

This addresses mostly my posts I guess. At no point did I assert that they (nutaku, not komichi) were legally/contractually obligated to immediately contact any devs with games on the kimochi store. You are right that without knowing anything about those contracts nobody should make a statement in that regard.
Yeah, I was more addressing how sure you seemed to be that you were right when you couldn’t actually know what was agreed on though. For me, it was more your assumptions of what the story was and less about what you felt was the right or wrong thing to do. Although I’ll admit that I probably ended up blending the parts ultimately. I have no problem with saying; I’m sorry for misunderstanding your meaning.

As for the rest of your reply, well… that’s now getting a lot more into personal opinion and it isn’t too far off from a stance I often take. I’d feel like too much of a hypocrite if I tried to take a contrary stance to that. All I can say is that everyone makes mistakes and its even easier for a company to make then since they have a lot more opposing needs at play. You’re obviously frustrated with Nutaku over a string of things. Please try to consider how much of the issues that frustrate you may not be something they could fully control because of outside forces. Also please don’t let your frustration prevent you from seeing future attempts to “be better”. We (the global we) usually do better at giving a person a second chance than a non-person. I’m betting that’s tied to something hardwired in our brains but I also don’t feel that it’s right. And that just makes it even harder to be fair.

Although it seems at least many of the major players in AAA are working on changing their stance lately, slowly but surely. One can only hope that in the long term this will also influence how things go on "our" side of the spectrum.^^
Yeah, I’ll give an Amen to that. :)

Well, it'd be nice if someone could get them to address it. Or to address whatever happened to Taimanin Asagi which was supposedly coming LOOOONG ago.

Also, I'm curious as to why they edited this card to plant tentacles.
Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about that issue. Though I find it interesting that the change in the first card you showed doesn’t actually make the tentacle that is doing the penetration a plant. It’s blurred but it’s still the same color as the original. It leads me to the question of; if the trouble was over a non-plant tentacle, then why is the most “offensive” portion not a plant? My follow up thought on that is; maybe the problem was not what is assumed it to be. I know that’s of zero help though so sorry.

So unless Nutaku actually says something about it, I'm still getting a tentacles are bad but plants are fine message. o_O
What is making this VERY difficult on a lot of people is that Nutaku cannot make simple rules that always apply saying “These things are bad” and “These things are good”. The complex reality is that what is and isn’t allowed is often changed ON Nutaku. There are a whole list of influences both within a company and outside a company that come into play here. I don’t want to get into that list because it is a tedious and outstandingly complex thing to debate due to dozens of different competing but valid points of view. And I’m only talking about those that come in BEFORE the decision is made. All I can say is that I was told directly that other than two specific issues, pretty much everything needs to be determined on a case by case approach. However, now that I’m more aware of what the history is with tentacles, I’ll see if I can quietly find out anything. Obviously, I can’t promise anything.

The real issue is that Kimochi/Nutaku did not promptly communicate to Devs that it was not closing earlier this year. While I cannot speak for US Law, UK Law would interpret this as Kimochi giving it's intent to sever the contract on the announced closure date (as it effectively announced that it would not sell the goods after this date, which breaks the contract). In this case any change in this status should be communicated as soon as possible (i.e. as soon as Nutaku reached out to Kimochi), even if the message was 'we might not be shutting down quite yet, although we can't disclose the details of why this is'. As Nutaku/Kimochi failed to do this in a timely manner, UK Law would not look favourably upon the assertion 'it's the Dev's responsibility to provide up to date contact information' because the Dev's had every reason to believe the contract was severed and therefore they had no responsibilities or obligations under that contact - the fault is entirely on the poor communications of Nutaku/Kimochi. And, bluntly, I would be amazed if US Law found differently.
UK and US law are VERY different when it comes to burden of responsibility. It seems to me that is actually where the biggest difference between them is. In the US, closing down does not necessarily sever a contract. The most visible example of that is warrantees. Not all warrantees are honored after a business shuts down but its fairly common that they are. Ultimately, that depends on terms in the contract. Additionally, the contract may cover points that are not tied to the sale of the good (confidentiality promises, copyright/trademark leases, and conditions of breaking the agreement are fairly common). If any ONE condition can hold a contract open then whole is still open. (At least until it gets moved off to a new contract.) Personally, I’d think that there has to be something addressing that idea in UK law. No clue what it would be though.

even if the message was 'we might not be shutting down quite yet, although we can't disclose the details of why this is'.
That example isn’t really too far from what happened. Less than a week after posting about the coming shut down (shut down had not happened yet) it was made public that the team was still pursuing a number of avenues to reopen Kimochi but the client had to shut own to stop the ongoing loss of money. I’ll admit that what that legally means is beyond my knowledge and I strongly suspect that, if the courts were involved, it would take quite a bit of effort to come to a determination. (Rather than being a simple issue.) As for the actual assertion; if a person changes their contact info and doesn’t let the other party know, it now becomes a potentially unreasonable burden on the other party to find that new contact. When forwarding addresses and the standard things are usable, that’s a lot less burden. However, when emails attached to aliases designed to hide a person’s true identity to the general public are involved; it gets a lot more complicated. In the US, proof that a good faith effort to contact was made is often sufficient. Keep in mind too that not all of the responsibility would be viewed as contractual. If you buy a car and register it with the manufacturer so you can receive recall notices and then move but don’t communicate your new address; it’s ridiculous to hold the manufacturer responsible for not sending a notice to your new address even if there was not a clause in the contract absolving them of responsibility.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

UK and US law are VERY different when it comes to burden of responsibility. It seems to me that is actually where the biggest difference between them is. In the US, closing down does not necessarily sever a contract. The most visible example of that is warrantees. Not all warrantees are honored after a business shuts down but its fairly common that they are. Ultimately, that depends on terms in the contract. Additionally, the contract may cover points that are not tied to the sale of the good (confidentiality promises, copyright/trademark leases, and conditions of breaking the agreement are fairly common). If any ONE condition can hold a contract open then whole is still open. (At least until it gets moved off to a new contract.) Personally, I’d think that there has to be something addressing that idea in UK law. No clue what it would be though.
I'll agree that it's tricky, but this situation is not the same as the ones you provide. A quick summary: warranties are typically offered by manufacturer; seller has a "goods fit for purpose test" - provided the correct legal entity still exists it would be honored, but if not then it would not be. Confidentiality/Copyright/Trademark: Any of these would have enforcement transferred to the new IP holder, but if the agreement was signed in the first place then it's because the IP is valuable, and hence breaking it would damage the value of the IP and the new IP holder. These clearly are not a similar circumstance to the Kimochi closure.

In any case, I assume that the contract for Kimochi would have been along the lines of "In return for the right to sell your game and a cut of the proceeds, Kimochi will provide advertisements on a store front, services to sell games etc.". By announcing their closure, Kimochi also announced it's intent to renege on it's contribution to the contract, because it would not be fulfilling it's obligations. Because of how Unfair Contracts legislation works in pretty much all jurisdictions, I can't see how Kimochi/Nutaku can shift everything onto Devs. The one way out would be if Kimochi/Nutaku had contacted the Devs via the same means that they informed the Devs of the impending closure, but this doesn't seem to have happened as you mention information "being made public". A public posting would not be sufficient, because it does not count as informing the other party (as you haven't told them, and there's no reason for them to seek out the information).

So yeah, I'd, uh, check with lawyers if it's an option, and take along all of the communications that were sent to the Devs to see if they were informed correctly. But with what I know of things so far, I'd say it's more than a 50% chance that Nutaku may not have the rights to take over distribution of everything on the Kimochi store, because Kimochi may have given the impression it was breaking the contract off first. I'd obviously be happy to be corrected though.

And it goes without saying, if any of the paid content doesn't have contact info, it's gotta come off straight away. Selling stuff without compensation to the creator would be certainly be illegal, although I assume you know that!

Rawr1125

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about that issue. Though I find it interesting that the change in the first card you showed doesn’t actually make the tentacle that is doing the penetration a plant. It’s blurred but it’s still the same color as the original. It leads me to the question of; if the trouble was over a non-plant tentacle, then why is the most “offensive” portion not a plant? My follow up thought on that is; maybe the problem was not what is assumed it to be. I know that’s of zero help though so sorry.
I also thought that was questionable.

My best guess about it was that they just lied to whoever is in charge of what is allowed or not and said it was a penis since it's censored anyway.

Leethar

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

@Habisain: Unfortunately, we’ve exhausted the depth of what I can feel comfortable speaking knowledgably on in this area. The one thing I can add is that I’m not sure the notification of possible extension WAS different from the original notification. My wording of “made public” was not intended to be a specific method of information dissemination but rather a statement that it was no longer kept private. I know some of what was done to get the information out but not all of it. Other than that point, all I’m left with is guesses and suppositions on what the details are. That’s not a realm I want to delve into for this kind of analytical discussion; too much gets built on a single detail and errors in accuracy get multiplied exponentially rather than incrementally. Since the point of my speaking up was to stop exactly that, I would be defeating my purpose by going further.

I also thought that was questionable.

My best guess about it was that they just lied to whoever is in charge of what is allowed or not and said it was a penis since it's censored anyway.
That's certainly a believable possibility and it's a pretty simple answer. Alternately whoever was in charge may have accepted it on the ground that it is vague enough to make the claim to hard to prove. (Whatever the claim was that they were trying to avoid.) Or a list of many other things that we've not thought of yet. :)

hkdigweed

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

They really need to find a way to get into the app-business.

Online browser can only go for so long... freaking google play/i-tunes and the "oh no, sex is bad in America. Let's let them eviscerate their brains instead"

Rawr1125

Tentacle God
Reputation score

So anyway, someone mentioned in another thread sanahtligh's article here.

In this article is included an actual Nutaku response on the tentacle issue.

So, thus we can conclude it is not a conspiracy theory now. :p

blubbat0r

Demon Girl
Reputation score

So anyway, someone mentioned in another thread sanahtligh's article here.
Interesting read, maybe a little bit overly dramatic. I've seen a few of those galleries posted on ye olde lov chatango and already wondered when they'd be taken down.

It's good to see that there are some out there who care enough to actually document those things, since many of those who are upset about the things being pulled here (me included ^_^) are content with simply being disgruntled salt slingers.

blobzerz

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Kimochi was working on a 32 bit version before closing though.
Not for me it wasn't. It was spewing some error in style of x64 is not proper windows32 aplication before shutting down while trying to install it.

blubbat0r

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I think he meant they were developing a 32bit version.