What's new

SIM [ cmacleod42] Slavemaker Revised Now up to 3.2.06 2/18/12

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Slavemaker Revised Now up to 2x14

I couldn't find an answer in the thread, so I thought I'd ask.

I've got an error with mine, when I go to select a girl, nothing happens. If I rapidly click around, it'll sometimes eventually pick one seemingly at random, but I'll start on day 1000something with around 9000 gold.

Basically, I can't get it to run properly.
Hm. I tried replicating your error, and didn't get anywhere, so let's run through the steps...

1. You ARE on a Windows system, right?
  2. Make sure the entire game is in the same directory. I assume you're using 2x14, and you've downloaded and installed the 2x14x2 patch, so there should be 46 files of various types in the directory.
  3. How are you starting the game? Are you using Slavemaker2.exe (the included Flash Player), or are you using Slavemaker2.swf (to run it using your own flash player, either standalone or with your browser)?
  4. What options do you have set when you choose your trainer?

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

Hm. I tried replicating your error, and didn't get anywhere, so let's run through the steps...

1. You ARE on a Windows system, right?
  2. Make sure the entire game is in the same directory. I assume you're using 2x14, and you've downloaded and installed the 2x14x2 patch, so there should be 46 files of various types in the directory.
  3. How are you starting the game? Are you using Slavemaker2.exe (the included Flash Player), or are you using Slavemaker2.swf (to run it using your own flash player, either standalone or with your browser)?
  4. What options do you have set when you choose your trainer?
Let's see.

1. Yes.

2. It is... and I can't remember if I patched it or not. But I do know I tried 2.14 and later tried 2.13 and had the same problem

3. Have tried both, same error.

4. I've tried a few combinations and gotten the same problem. Most commonly I'm a male, leadership type, forest home. I only get the random girl if I have train all girls option on, otherwise it'll never let me get one at all. I leave most options on.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Let's see.

1. Yes.

2. It is... and I can't remember if I patched it or not. But I do know I tried 2.14 and later tried 2.13 and had the same problem

3. Have tried both, same error.

4. I've tried a few combinations and gotten the same problem. Most commonly I'm a male, leadership type, forest home. I only get the random girl if I have train all girls option on, otherwise it'll never let me get one at all. I leave most options on.
I still can't replicate the error - everything I can think of, the guy made the game robust enough to avoid crashing on. All I can suggest at this point is to download a fresh copy of 2x14, expand it to a new directory, and see whether "the error" continues.

Just to doublecheck, the following happens in this order:
  1. You choose "New Game".
  2. The game goes through the backstory.
  3. You choose a trainer, and options. You use the default assistant, Shampoo.
  4. The game gives you the trainer backstory.
  5. You choose a house.
  6. The game gives you the house backstory.
  7. The game displays the first screen of girls, labeled A through G.
  8. As you mouse over each girl, a text description pops up at the top of the screen. You can click "More" and get a different screen of girls, labeled A, B, C, E, and F.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

1. You choose "New Game". - check
2. The game goes through the backstory. - check
3. You choose a trainer, and options. You use the default assistant, Shampoo. - check
4. The game gives you the trainer backstory. - check
5. You choose a house. -check
6. The game gives you the house backstory. - check
7. The game displays the first screen of girls, labeled A through G. - check
8. As you mouse over each girl, a text description pops up at the top of the screen. You can click "More" and get a different screen of girls, labeled A, B, C, E, and F. - check

-----------

I don't think downloading a new copy will help, as I've downloaded 2.13 and encountered the same problem...

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

1. You choose "New Game". - check
2. The game goes through the backstory. - check
3. You choose a trainer, and options. You use the default assistant, Shampoo. - check
4. The game gives you the trainer backstory. - check
5. You choose a house. -check
6. The game gives you the house backstory. - check
7. The game displays the first screen of girls, labeled A through G. - check
8. As you mouse over each girl, a text description pops up at the top of the screen. You can click "More" and get a different screen of girls, labeled A, B, C, E, and F. - check

-----------

I don't think downloading a new copy will help, as I've downloaded 2.13 and encountered the same problem...
I thought you were saying, essentially, that step 8 didn't work?

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I thought you were saying, essentially, that step 8 didn't work?
Oh no, I can put my mouse over them and get the descriptive text. I just can't actually select them. I click, it does nothing.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Have you tried emptying your hard drive of any and all files relating to slavemaker and redownloading them? If so, you might not have remembered to grab the .sol file. If the problem is a corrupted save file - which seems most likely, as I've not heard of this problem or experienced it myself - then just find out where it is and delete it, then start a new game, you shouldn't have to download everything all over again.

You'll have to google where to find the .sol files, I forget off the top of my head where Windows keeps them (I play most flash based games on my mac).

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

There is a delay between when you click and when it goes into the girl's introduction, as the program has to load the individual girl's module. It's only a couple seconds on my machine - and that's a single-CPU laptop from 3 years ago.

The EXE version should NOT be suffering from the same errors as the SWF version. About the only thing I can think of that would mess with the program like that is something is preventing it from transitioning modules - and the only thing that might be doing THAT is overzealous security.

Specific OS? CPU speed/type? Any virus checkers or other security programs? Any problems running other flash programs? (Of course not, the only flash program I know of that does this module-transition stuff IS Slavemaker. Arrgh.)

Finding the .SOL files: They're deep in "c:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\*some random string*\". After the random string, it varies... on one machine of mine it continues "\localhost\Documents and Settings\*user*\Desktop\Slavemaker2x14\Slavemaker2.exe\sm2.sol", the \localhost etc. being where the game actually is located. On another machine it uses #localWithNet instead of localhost.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

There is a delay between when you click and when it goes into the girl's introduction, as the program has to load the individual girl's module. It's only a couple seconds on my machine - and that's a single-CPU laptop from 3 years ago.
Okay, with this info, I've re-attempted things, and can actually pick a girl. However, this merely explains why I sometimes get a girl when clicking erratically.

The game loads up, and in this case (Shampoo) I have what appear to be normal stats, 500 gold, and the date says 1252/1.

The date makes me a little wary, but is this what should be displayed?

EDIT: Went back in from start again, changed options to the things I actually wanted so I could play, error has returned... >.<

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay, with this info, I've re-attempted things, and can actually pick a girl. However, this merely explains why I sometimes get a girl when clicking erratically.

The game loads up, and in this case (Shampoo) I have what appear to be normal stats, 500 gold, and the date says 1252/1.

That's exactly what's supposed to be displayed, along with a message from your assistant (Genma is the default if you're training Shampoo) about how long you get to train your girl. That date is correct for a new trainer. New slaves will start at a later date (when you finish with the current slave, or opt to start a new slave instead of finishing).

So just how old IS your machine that it takes long enough for you to get impatient when you try and select a girl?

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

A few years now. Funnily enough, that time it loaded almost immediately, however I can't seem to get the game to repeat it.

EDIT: AHA! Found it!

I change my assistant's name from Shampoo. Then I try to train Shampoo. It can't find the girl to load her. By changing the name back to Shampoo, it works.

Last edited:

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

EDIT: Went back in from start again, changed options to the things I actually wanted so I could play, error has returned... >.<
What did you change? (Never change the trainer is my suggestion: it caused my computer to crash when I did that)

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

A few years now. Funnily enough, that time it loaded almost immediately, however I can't seem to get the game to repeat it.

I change my assistant's name from Shampoo. Then I try to train Shampoo. It can't find the girl to load her. By changing the name back to Shampoo, it works.
*chuckles* Yeah in order to change the trainer, you have to edit some code, unless you use Peorth (who's already in there for you). Glad to hear you got it working again.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

...THAT's why I couldn't replicate the error. He FIXED that bug in 2x14x2, and that's what I was testing against.

Download , extract the files into the same directory as the 2x14 install (you'll overwrite several of the files), then go nuts.

Just as an FYI, changing the assistant's name does nothing unless you change it to the name of one of the characters he's supplied (the trainable girls, plus Hild and Peorth). Then it'll change the assistant to the girl you've named. Typing in, say, "myxxy" for the name will just default it to Shampoo.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Oh he fixed that? Good for him! His patch notes aren't really... um... existent... so yeah haha, I missed that.

sonic10235

Lurker
Reputation score

i save and exit out of the game, but when i come back in my saved game is gone is it like that or did i missed something?

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

no, you're supposed to be able to save between sessions. Some computers delete or can't find the save file when you quit out of flash, though. It happened to me on my mac, don't remember how I fixed it, but I know it involved

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well i think it saves itself as a cookie so if those get wiped then i think you loose your games. this is just conjecture though.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Mmm.... technically I guess you could call it a cookie, but it's not really. At least I don't think Flash's .sol files are saved in the same place as whatever browser you use stores cookies, so they don't get wiped by the browser. It's worth looking into though, as my conclusion is conjecture as well.

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

There's a new addition to Slave Maker out.

Because some people (Me being one of them...>.>), cmacleod put out a Slave Development Kit, or SDK as he calls it. Here's the link for it: