What's new

Curse of the Crimson Throne: Edge of Anarchy (IC Thread)

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

“Korvosa, the Jewel of Varisia, had long sparkled on Varisia’s southern shore. Established 300 years ago by Cheliax at the height of the empire’s expansion, the city began to command its own destiny after a length of time. A line of Korvosan kings and queens emerged to rule the city, establishing an infamous seat of power --- the Crimson Throne. Rulers then sat upon the Crimson Throne for more than a century, and the city flourished. Yet the monarchy always seemed to be on the brink of disaster. The Crimson Throne… was not a prize to be won, so it was said --- it was a curse. No monarch of Korvosa had died of old age, and none managed to produce a heir during their rule. King Eodred II, the ruler at the beginning of this tale, controlled Korvosa more fully than any previous monarch. However, even then, many secretly counted the days until their latest king falls to what was known as the Curse of the Crimson Throne. It is at this time, that our tale of legends and destiny begins…”

There is a silence as the speaker stops to speak for a moment, then…a strum of a lute, as the narration resumes.

”Our story begins in the city of Korvosa, in the year 4708, with a man named Gaedren Lamm... a petty criminal whose crimes would lead to the unification of Korvosa’s greatest heroes…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ankieseth
It had been another long day of searching amidst the clutter streets of Korvosa, for the weary merchant’s son… a fruitless one at that. Throughout the numberless months of investigation, it had been easy enough to pin down the identity of the criminal that had deprived him of everything save for what he bore on his back. Gaedran Lamm, abductor of children, briber of guards, racketeer… truly simple enough. Yet finding him, as well as those that he had taken…well, that was a different story altogether. Exhausted, it was at that time when the urban ranger stopped to rest by the side of the street and perhaps to rummage through his backpack so as to check for any provisions by which he might have to momentarily occupy himself, that he found something strange in there that he hadn’t seen before… a card from a harrow deck. The Rabbit Prince to be exact. But what drew his attention more was the message written upon its back in black ink…

Jessica
A few poorly feathered arrows…check. A dull knife or two…check. A passing gold coin from a careless merchant? Check. Information on Gaedran….not check. For such a well-known local figure, the crime lord was notoriously difficult to find nowadays,…especially as he was beginning to get on in the years. When he was in his younger years, and more directly active in his crime schemes, it was far easier to locate him and take the brunt of his brutalities. Nowadays however, it seemed as if he operated solely from his network of pickpockets and thugs. When the former street scamp began preparations to return home for the day, it would be then though, while inspecting her “acquisitions” that she found something strange…something she didn’t recall taking. A harrow card, The Cricket, with a peculiar message in black ink on the back of it…

Izak
*Schink* The sound of knife cutting flesh. Yet another knowledge-less henchman dropped to the cold ground of an alleyway, as Izak found himself at another dead end… Just great. Sure, it had been easy enough to find the name of who was dealing Shiver, but finding where he was? Not so much. Three “assassinations” later, and lengthy interrogations, and he was still without a lead as to where the man known as Gaedran Lamm resided…much to the rogue’s disapproval of course. It was then however, when he began to prepare the disposal of the body…that he found something strange laying upon the freshly slain body he hadn’t seen before. A harrow card, The Juggler, with a message upon its back that would perhaps bring a wicked smile to his face…

Allesharra
Irritably enough, it seemed that over the course of the years she was training for revenge, Gaedran had managed to become even harder to find, despite how often he seemed to be around when she had been enslaved under him in her youth. No matter who she tried to ask or where she attempted to look, there didn’t seem to be a trace of the bastard anywhere... Slippery old fox that he was. Just when the vengeance seeker had prepared to retire for the day, and began rummaging through her pockets to see if she still had enough for a night at the inn…it would be then that she found something strange in them. A harrow card, The Crows, with a highly interesting message on the back…

Elizabeth
Working as a member of the town guard was…more stable than her previous job, at least. Arguably a tad safer too, given how the last thing even “remotely dangerous” she had done was breaking up a fight between a bad tempered gnome and a drunken dwarf at a bar. One would think that she might at least be sent to break up an operation by the murderer that had assaulted her and her previous employer, due to how notorious the man Gaedran Lamm was around these parts. But alas, the town guard has “bigger fish to fry”…fish that never really seemed to do anything as far as she could tell, but well…bigger fish still apparently. As Elizabeth prepared to retire from the day, perhaps leaving a tavern she had opted to stop at for a drink, after breaking up another worthless fight… it would be then that she noticed something odd at the bottom of the tankard she had been given…a Harrow card, The Locksmith, with a curious message upon its back…

Raven
A delicate girl like that, murder an able bodied, fully grown man? Hogwash. There was no way for that claim to have been true, even if her hairpin had been found at the scene, and even if the dagger found in her bag was indeed coated in the man’s blood. A few words with the fisherman had proved that to be the case, easily enough. Yet not enough to clear her name from the public’s eye, especially when the fisherman and the thug responsible seemed to disappear altogether. Not that it really matters, the engagement went through anyway, though the girl’s still too afraid to appear in public with how many would be “vigilantes” acted in the streets of Korvosa. Though if given a chance…such as from the message written on the back of a Harrow card mysteriously found upon the bedside table…The Rabbit Prince was it?...Well then, that might not be too bad.

The message inscribed upon the card is as follows:
”I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wrong me as well. I know where he dwells, yet can not strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at Sunset, Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time of Day: Late Afternoon
Harrow Points Granted: 2

((Alright ladies and gentlemen, lets get this started. All of you have received a message from a mysterious benefactor claiming to having information on the crime lord that has wronged all of you. It's a DC 10 gather information check to find the place and get there, and taking ten is allowed. If you choose to roll however, know that the higher the result, the faster you get there. With that said, let the games begin.))

Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Curse of the Crimson Throne: Edge of Anarchy (IC Thread)

Ankieseth stared at the Harrow card for a moment, not even reading the message scrawled on the back, before immediately setting down his pack and coin purse, and searching through them, making certain that nothing had been stolen. He found nothing missing, however, and once he was sure of that, he retrieved the card, and read over the message on the back, wondering where it had come from, and who had planted it among his things. And, most importantly, why. The likelihood of the card being completely truthful was.... Not high, to say the least, but even if it was some sort of trap, perhaps set by Gaedren himself, it was still a lead. The only lead he had at this point, really.

Having few better options, Ankieseth proceeded to try and find Lancet street. The sooner he found it, the sooner he could take a look at the place, and try to determine just what sort of game was being played here.

(Take 10 on the gather information check. That gives me an 11 total.)

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Back in an abandoned corner alley of the city's seedier area where no one would be able to spot her, Allesharra sat down and cursed under her breath, "DAMN! That old bastard has wised up over the time and realized he's too old to be out in the open! I can't get a lead or beat on his dirty old ass! Regardless, I won't give up until he's either dead or rotting in a cell for his crimes!" She unstrapped her backpack and began to rummage around in the case for some money, hoping she would have enough for a night at an inn, when she stumbled across something very interesting that she didn't remember having. What in the blazes? It looks like some kind of Taro card or something. How did this get here? she thought to herself before flipping the card over. That was when Allesharra would find something even more interesting:

”I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wrong me as well. I know where he dwells, yet can not strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at Sunset, Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done."
"What!? How!? Who? A disgruntled lackey or lieutenant? An escaped victim? It must be. Whoever it is, he says he knows where the bastard lives! 3 Lancet Street.... I think I know where that is! Finally, I might finally be able to get to that old fucker and end his worthless miserable life!" She though excited as she would strap back on her pack and head out to find the location listed on the card.

:(

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Elizabeth picks up the card from the bottom of her drink with a frown, "What kind of asshole spoils a drink with... wait a moment..." She quickly turned the card around, flipping it several more times, before stopping to read the back of the card, her pupils widening as her mind comprehended what was before her. She didn't know if it was a hoax, or actually something legitimate, either way, her current leads had dried up, and scant hours earlier, she had even considered giving up her search.

Dipping her hand into her coins, she produced the copper for her drink, and got up, "Familiy business..." She muttered to a few of the other town guards that had gone drinking with her, before quickly asking around for people who knew of the location she was suppose to go to:

Gather Information:

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Izak wiped off his blade on the chest of his most recent victim as he picked up the card, still squatting over the body. He eyebrows seemed to dance between fascination and curiosity, as he flipped the card over and read the message on the back. "Interesting." he said in a low voice, then slid the card into the back pocket of his trousers, resuming his work to dispose of the body before tightening the scarf around his neck, which also covered his mouth and nose. He then began to move through the city, searching for a quick and quiet way to Lancet street.

((Taking ten on the Gather Information check for a twelve.))

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Raven was wandering the streets almost aimlessly obviously deep in thought, occasionally asking for directions from bypassers. On one hand, revenge is such a petty business and I really don't want to get involved with people like that, on the other hand this is probably the best way to clear her name and he does deserve it...Anyway, no harm in checking it out, right? Yeah, it's not like they won't let me walk out of there and possibly rat on them. At least I can find the place and... Oh, who am I kidding? I'm taking the offer, if only so we can get married.

(Taking 10 for 13 total.)

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jessica found an alleyway corner to double-check her latest acquisitions. A pair of older, well-used arrows. Probably no good for resale, maybe she could turn it into something nice for the couple she was living with. A new dagger, needs a sharpening, balance is... okay, good enough but not perfect. Add that one to her small collection. Information on Gaedren 'casually' overheard, still outside her grasp. Bastard seems to have sat back on his meager laurels and is letting everyone else do the work now. One Harrow card... That she didnt remember taking.

Stopping her check to start another, Jessica made sure that whoever had planted the card on her hadn't taken anything else. Satisfied that her possessions were still in place, her curiosity returned to the card.

I know what Gaedren has done to you. He has wrong me as well. I know where he dwells, yet can not strike at him. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at Sunset, Others like you will be there. Gaedren must face his fate, and justice must be done.
Lancet Street eh? Alright then. Pretty much the other side of the city, but she can make it in time.

Taking ten, total of twelve.

OP
Keylo

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

3 Lancet Street. A small home that leads into a cozy chamber filled with a fragrant haze of fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice. The haze comes from sever sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke itself seems to soften edges and give the room a dream-like feel. The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black skulled beast juggling men’s hearts, another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall hooded figure shrouded in mist, a flaming sword held in a skeletal hand. Several brightly-colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throwcloth and several elegant tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

Elizabeth the fighter would be the first to arrive at the home, managing to not only been in the vicinity, but to have also met a tavern patron who happened to live nearby by some fortune, managing to arrive shortly after she had seen the card. Being the first to arrive, Elizabeth would find a note upon the table, weighed down by a paperweight…

The note would read as following:

“Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit, but shall return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table contains bread and drink for you.

Should the basket be examined, it would be shown that it contains loaves of bread and a few bottles of wine.

That aside however, the next to arrive, by a good quarter hour or so, would be a black haired man with eyes of red, one that had also received a strange harrow card with the same message. Soon after, by the span of a minute or two, would what appeared to be a young child…or Halfling rather, and a strange scarf wearing man (made stranger yet given how warm it was currently) would also arrive…followed closely behind by a perhaps impoverished black-eyed human male. It seemed that all had gathered, except for the host…

But as for the host…well, no idea where he or she was yet.

Last edited:

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The red-eyed man almost wanders past the house before stopping to take a good look. Seemingly in the middle of an internal debate, he first continues a few steps, then turns around to walk back where he came from a bit and finally just stops and waits to see if anyone else arrives before going in.

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Elizabeth picks up the note and looks at it, then sets it back down on the table, decided to take a seat for now, taking one of the loafs of bread and chewing on it for awhile, she also takes one of the bottles of wine and opens it, drinking from it directly as she quietly watched the others arrived.

She looks at the host, or the one she assumed was the host as she arrived, "So I hear you know something about the old bastard."

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Izak arrives after a few people, remaining quiet as his red scarf trails behind him, choosing to move over to a corner and stand while waiting for their host, though he did cast each new arrival a glance from his green eyes.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jessica arrived about the same time as the man in the scarf, entering the room and looking about with vague unease. She had never been around such opulence before, and the thought suddenly occured to her that this was what she'd expect Gaedren to live like. She suddenly cursed her lack of foresight, possibly walking straight into a possible trap like this.

Calming down, she reminded herself that Gaedren shouldn't know she was still alive, and read the note. She took some bread, carefully examining it before tearing it in half, sticking one half in her pack and starting to eat the second half.

She chuckled a little at the woman's comment to the room, nodding a little. "Some, but not enough. I could say the same to you as well, judging from the notes I take it we all received." She said, letting her own comment hang in the air afterwards.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

(He's not black!)

Ankieseth observed the house for several moments from across the street, firstly looking for any possible exits in case he had to make a quick getaway... Or worry about where potential attackers could be coming from. He also paced around the house itself, the relatively modest size of it making the job quick and fairly unrewarding. He watched as several others walked in, his eyes remaining on the halfling for a second or two longer than the others, before finally entering himself.

When inside, the man's dark eyes scanned the room impassively, the habit thoroughly drilled into his head at this point as he tried to take in every possible detail. Once more, his eyes stayed on the halfling a second or two longer than any of the others. He only glanced at the bread and wine once, and didn't so much as touch it. The fairly macabre decorations had only made Ankieseth even more suspicious, but he kept his agitation under control, and silently moved about the room until he found a place that had his back to no places that allowed someone to sneak up behind him, but was also within a few feet of an exit. He said nothing, the entire time.

OP
Keylo

Keylo

Lurker
Reputation score

A short while after the arrival of the last among their number, it would be then that the apparent host who had called them there would enter her home with a warm smile upon her face; the host being a rather attractive middle-aged Varisian woman with long dark hair. Once she enters, it is then that she takes a seat, seeming to count all of the people present while idly shuffling a deck of Harrow cards with the same design as the cards the group had received. While doing so, the woman appears confused for a moment while doing so, but dismisses it a bit after as she finally opts to introduce herself.

Zellara

“Thank you for coming, my friends, I am Zellara. Thank you for and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you, whereas one of those I summoned…did not seem to take so kindly to. I have reason to remain hidden, you see --- a terrible man would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This is a man you know well, for he has done something terrible to each of you as well. I speak, of course, of Gaedren Lamm, a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy the lives of those he touches are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. You see, a year ago, his thieves stole this, my Harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When pickpockets stole it, my son, Eran, tracked them done. The thieves were in the employ of Gaedren Lamm, and in reward for finding them, Gaedren murdered my son.“

The woman pauses for a moment so as to indicate the deck…at which time, if the party cares to look, they’d find the cards they had been invited with to have mysteriously disappeared…somehow. Not that it mattered anyway, as the woman continued.
“I sought help from the guard, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my Harrow deck for advice. And recently, I was rewarded --- I found out where Gaedren dwells. “

A moment’s of silence fills the air once more as Zellara appears…remorseful for a moment, seeming to look out into a distance as she recants her past…then continues yet again.

“And now, I need your help. I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard moves so slowly that if I were to go to them, Gaedren would certainly know of their coming well in advance. Even if they did arrest him --- what guarantee would I have he would be punished? This criminal has evaded the law for decades. But you know of these frustrations as well, for word on the street has it that Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay. Speaking of which…I do believe that’s the last of your number outside my door. A tad late…”

As the woman concludes, it would be then that a cloaked figure, feminine in nature, so it seemed... and mostly out of breath, filled the doorway, having just arrived for the last bit of the fortune teller’s explanation.

Last edited:

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Allesharra managed to spill into Zellaras doorway, leaning up against the frame for support, as she looked slightly haggard and out of breath, "M-my..... Apologies, Zelaara was it? I am afraid my skills in gathering information and locating places is...... Somewhat rusty...... I was slow and had trouble finding your dwelling. So..... it was I suspected, the filthy old bastard had wronged you as well. I figured you may have been a jilted ex employee or another of his victims who had not the means or power to avenge his deed hisself. I was one of those....... pickpockets, myself. And at the same time the lowlife got me hooked on drugs. And one day when I made one mistake too many he took advantage of the addiction and drugged me up before taking me out back and having his men violate me before trying to murder me. And I agree the "law" is too unreliable or ineffective to make the sick piece of shit pay for his sins. I have been searching, hunting stalking the city streets, alleys and slums ever since looking for the maggot. Now that we actually know his whereabouts we may finally have the means and chance to snuff his worthless existence out once and for all......." she said grimly before walking over to the drink and bread to refill her stomach and regain her strength from the long frustrating search.

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Izak steps forward from his corner, then draws a dagger from his belt, twirling it around in his hands. "Any chance to get that fecculent pile of scum back for my friend's death is good news to me." he states, smirking behind his scarf as his eyebrows move to reflect it. Though, anyone who payed attention might hear a hint of a rasp in his voice as he spoke. "And if any of you have a score to settle with him, you can have your licks while I'm torturing him." he states, still twirling his dagger around in his hand. "Oh, crap. I forgot my manners, Name's Izak." he says, holding up his right hand, stopping his dagger-twirl. His clothes appeared like that of some gaudy fool trying to stand out in a city of commoners, white pants, black shirt, and a red scarf, not to mention a pair of fingerless leather gloves on both of his hands. Though when he turned to face the door to the building, then might catch a glimpse of a symbol of sorts, dwarven in nature, on the back of his shirt before the scarf tails cover it up.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Jessica listens to Zellara's tale quietly, munching on the loaf of bread she had appropriated. She didn't respond herself, at least not yet.

The newcomer spoke her piece, followed by the scarfed man. Her features, usually scrunched up in focus and concentration, softened a bit listening to each of them in turn. Finally, she spoke up herself, short and simple.

"Alright, I'm in. Name's Jess, and I got my own bone to pick with Gaedren as well."

Loli Defense Force

Lili
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Elizabeth looks at the woman as she cracks her knuckles slightly, "The guards move slowly, because we want to make sure that we are not on a wild goose chase." She taps the maul on her back, "I, on the other hand, refuse to let petty bureaucratic reasoning prevent me from having my revenge. My name is Elizabeth, and I am more than willing to help you."

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Having made himself rather comfortable despite the mail shirt under his coat, Raven shakes his head without moving from his chair."You're all out for revenge, is that it? Well, I can't think of a man more deserving of it. Myself, I've a stake in seeing him dead, though I'd rather see him publicly executed for his crimes than found dead in some back alley. Name's Raven, by the way."

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Ankieseth remained silent and immobile as he leaned his back against the wall, listening to all of the others speak after their host finally arrived and said her piece. The part about kidnapped children caused him to stiffen slightly, but he otherwise remained utterly impassive, even when the newcomer arrived. He watched each person speaking as they all seemingly agreed to work with this woman, staying for a moment longer on Izak.

Once all the others had spoken, Ankieseth calmly said; "Walking into Gaedren's stronghold would likely be suicide. Even if we survived, a man of his experience will have a dozen escape routes prepared. I'm assuming that you have some sort of plan, miss?"