What's new

Dark Gate OOC Thread

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: PbP Interest Check(And OOC Thread)

EDIT: @IronAnt, since I got ninja'd, hehe.

Well, speaking for one-third of thew people you play with in DG, I don't see anything really lacking from your posts. Sure Irienys is kinda dull at the moment, but that's because of the character, not the writer. And you were right quick on the response this time too, so I don't have anything to complain about myself. Keep up the good work!

Courage Wolf

The Admin who is Raid Boss
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Talent: Spiritual Control. When activating any Buff the player may choose to remove one of the benefits of the power to reduce the cost of the powers upkeep by (N)

If you did it something like this, than you could simply choose the amount to be removed from the upkeep via this talent by adding N into the power description. Whether it be by half, or a predetermined number, based on the buff, Something like Transformation being left out of this talent entirely do to the highly unigue nature of that buff, But say for something like Dark Armor having (N) set as 1/2 as Dark Armor is a fairly straightforward power.

Another Option would be to have the talent allow you to negate benefits within a buff and to lower the cost of the upkeep according to how many you remove, for example. A buff benefiting three stats could have two of those benefits removed for 1/3 upkeep. and as far as fractions go you could simply round the number up. If X was 10 and you reduced it by 2/3 rounded up the new upkeep would be 4. its not as complicated as it sounds. and making it a talent makes it a tactical choice.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Now that it's nearly complete, I might as well post it here for the benefit of the people who don't lurk in the shoutbox:

Special thanks to Aurani for his plentiful help.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So, a few new things:

1) This is just a reminder to me of Au's suggested changes that I liked. Firstly, rewriting Venomous attack a little. Secondly, letting people take natural attack, and making it a prereq for venomous attack. Thirdly, making slimes immune to rape damage. Also, to fix drain through pain and actually put the foreplay through armor into the rules.

2) An idea came up of lower spirit power upkeep. It wouldn't be a lot, probably like a broad -2 to the upkeep of all powers, or somesuch. Aurani already said nay, and Hafnium said to be selective with it, but I could always just lower it a little more for the less immediately powerful buffs. Thoughts?

3) Thank you Spider and Aurani for working on that blog. Hopefully, it will make character creation a little bit easier.

Tiffanian

Smut Slut
Reputation score

All of that sounds good to me.

I had wondered how the fuck one rapes a slime.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

1.) I think the first two makes sense. I haven't bothered playing with DtP yet, so couldn't tell you on that one. The foreplay through clothes makes sense, but dunno about actual armor; I mean cn you really effectively grope a boob or anything through plate? Maybe leather and or chainmail, but anything heavier and you would just be rubbing steel. :p

2.) Your idea makes sense. Stuff like perception/or less immediately useful advantageous abilities/buffs would be good, as you could use smaller simple things without burning your EP tank out.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

You have to freeze it first, yep.

...What, it works on metroids!

Jokes aside, I don't really know too much about it myself, especially the first bit, so i'll focus on the second. Of the two buffs I've picked up, I'm having trouble deciding to use either of them, especially to buff myself with. I haven't pored over the rules and monster stats and such, so I really don't know if I can offer advice or an alternative, but Blessing seems to be a good idea if you have a fair bit of warrior-type allies against a bunch of low-to-mid quality enemies, but only if you have at least 3 or 4 of said allies, or you would be better off spending the EP on some sort of area damage power.
Psychic shield is purely defensive, and as such, the only uses i can think of are to help you run away, or (and more commonly), to defend yourself while you use another option for offense. Problem i've been having, as one of those stationary spell turrets i remember people mentioning, is i have to spend near my EP ceiling for it to be effective at all, compared to most enemies. which leaves me no real option for offense.

Again, i'm far from being versed in all of the stuff for this game, this is just what i've noticed for the two buffs my character has, from what i've experienced in the three encounters so far. take it or leave it.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

That was why i had suggested the reduce in the Upkeep, in order for some powers to actually be effective you're looking at a ceiling dump, and god forbid that power has an upkeep of X, you'd have 5 rounds MAX to get things done, and if you couldn't than the fight is automatically over, a spirit wielder cannot defend themselves without EP. I mean if -2 is all were gonna get ill take it, but it seems to me that a dedicated spirit wielder would be trained to make their spirit last longer than a warrior who picked up a few tricks...

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

A level 5 buff costs 3 to upkeep. With Mind of 30, that's +35 to a stat. Spirit powers that act as buffs may be more powerful overall, but they're not 4 times as powerful, which is the difference in upkeep for the same cost. And there probably aren't many mages with only 30 mind.

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Also, additional suggestion that I forgot about at the time:

Change the "Strong of X" Talents to Strong, giving you 8 more points to spend at character creation, and limit the number of those that you can take to 3.

Also, I'll figure out how to make Blind's suggestion into a Talent. Somehow. Eventually.

Hentaispider

Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I think it would be a good idea to have a cap on how high you can boost your primary stats in character creation. The cap would be something like 60, with racial bonuses added on top of that. Yay or nay? Should the cap be higher? Lower?

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Meh. People will be bringing over high XP characters from DG2, so I see no reason to put new players at further disadvantage. It's not like there's serious PvP or anything, and it's not that hard for a GM to ensure that encounters are balanced to the power level of the character.

Mamono Assault Force

Coon Tamer
RP Moderator
Reputation score

The game was never really meant to be based around the stats anyway, and Tass himself would probably bap anyone who tried to go above something like 60 without darn good reason for doing so.

Hafnium

Despair Fetishist
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I've already shared my opinion on this in the shoutbox but it's probably worth noting here that I think the buffs work pretty well as is in regards to upkeep, if only because most combats aren't going to last more than 3 rounds either way. I'd be more inclined to suggest adding +Xs to give them a small boost in power over lowering upkeep, the +X thing being Aurani's suggestion. Although I think that's already been done in some cases.

Re: Strong, I don't particularly see a point in really capping it at 3 or putting a hard cap on stats at creation. With scaling monsters and the ever present and balancing hand of the GM involved there still isn't really a point in playing a 100 stat character. If they have the backstory to back it up then more power to them, there's still plenty of things that can be thrown at them in game. I'd say better to leave it to GM discretion to bap somebody for playing a silly mechanics-only character than putting an arbitrary cap on it, especially since the suggested cap doesn't really effect the characters that are already strong enough to take on DG2 Fey/Demon Lords mano-a-mano. The change to 8 ptd rather than just +8 is probably a good idea, though.

Aurani

Unknown Squid's Husband
Reputation score

Strong sounds like a good idea, it would help players better balance their needs without taking a straight +8 into either stat.
As for capping it, I guess it's not really necessary but we already know how ridiculous some characters can get.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I think "Strong of X" gives a more defined feeling to a character. Like, "this person has Strong of Mind, that means they're really smart!", n'shit. ...And besides, I've basically been using it as "8 more points to assign" anyway, with it as it is just means there's a minimum value a stat can have that really doesn't mean anything anyway.

If we make it just "You've got 8 more stat points" I'd suggest renaming it to sommat like "Exceptional Being" or "Paragon" or whateverthefuck. ...Which doesn't really mean much either, since player characters are kinda exceptional by default.

I don't really like having a hard cap, and would veto dumb shit and stick in the rules for the Strong of Xs "stop being a minmaxing faget and pick some other shit jeez". ...But then again, I don't have to tell that to the legion of people who will ask for it and tell them "NO NOT ALLOWED" and stuff, which is a kinda shitty feeling as I understand.

Last edited:

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I'm thinking...

No straight stat cap needed, since that can be done via managing the strong of talents, which are the only way to reach it.

Agreeing with Blarg on the strong of talents are fine how they are. The on;y difference being that 'strong of X' imposes an ineffectual minimum in 'X', and the way the points are counted.

If any, a simple cap on the total number of any 'strong of' talents seems best to me. Three strong of talents are probably enough for any starting character that isn't deliberately trying to hax their dodge or resistance stats. I haven't actually checked for the average number of strong of talents, but I believe most characters would fit this easily.

Courage Wolf

RP Moderator
Reputation score

Anthriel has 5 atm, and to be honest 3 would NOT weaken her at all, if anything due to the recent perception/stealth changes it would make her stronger, as the amount of stealth/perception granted via primary stat drops off exponentially (literally) the higher the stat gets. I would happily accept a cap on the Strong talents because lets face it, even with the backstory to back it up (And yes, there is one for her) 106 spirit is a little rediculous.
But in that same vein, an Angel is literally a spiritual being... so there's that to consider as well.
As for the powers, I understand that mages are supposed to wield mental conrtol over the cosmos and the powers that be, but as I've seen it in almost any setup, the power to internalize the manipulatable energies of the universe usually takes specialized training or carries a heavy penalty. (Whether this fits into Tassadar's lore or not I don't know). the whole situation seems to fall into the fictional realm of Qi and Magic and the differences implied therein. Although a fictional environment can be set in any way, shape, or form. some trends seem to transcend this carte blanch attitude such as the one above, Qi being the internal power of the mind, body, and spirit. Magic being the energy surrounding and emanating from all things (The fabric and energy of the universe as a whole, as it were) Usually the use of internal energy allows the user to increase the power of HIS body and to rarely be able to use that energy to attack at a range. Magic being the complete opposite, allowing the wielder to change the fabric of the universe in a myriad of ways including the ignoring of physical laws and the creation of elemental energies to destroy their enemies, usually at a distance. Touch spells use this outside energy by using the body as a conduit to reliably transfer the energy directly into the target and this is usually done to negate defenses. In my opinion magic being used to buff the actual physical strength of the body requires unusually intensive training in a very specific art. THAT BEING SAID, I am NOT calling for mage buffs to be removed at all, as i know that would never happen, nor am I asking that they be weakened. but from what i've said above wouldn't it make more sense for those people who use their own internal energy to increase their strength be better at it? Manipulating the immense energies of the universe into a single body in order to strengthen it usually has dire consequences, in fact usually when magic is used this way its not to use the energy as fuel to increase strength, but rather to mutate the body in some specific way to make it stronger, such as binding iron into the makeup of the bone and skin, or causing the bone itself to thicken and protrude, these changes usually don't require any substantial kind of upkeep, but usually have a set duration or imposed penalty for holding the change for too long (Such as the change becoming permanent and the structure of the consciousness changing to reflect its new body...

Food for thought

OP
Tassadar

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Alright. The semester is over. That means that it's time for me to get to work.

Now, I believe this was discussed before, but here's what I intend to do:
1) Firstly, I'm going to start people that don't have threads yet using the DG3 rules.
2) Secondly, I'm going to ask everyone to convert their character to DG3 as soon as possible.
3) Finally, story-wise, DG2 is on its way to ending, but the actual stories for DG3 will take a long while to get to for some characters. That's just how it is. Also, I might be asking my assistant GMs to take another thread. Possibly. I'll consult each of you individually when the time comes, but volunteers are always welcome.

I plan on doing all of this tomorrow, as I want to get updates out today. As for how this is going to work: I'm basically going to move the old creation thread and character sheets out to the archive section, and then I'll move the newer character creation thread in and make a new character sheet thread. You won't get posts or a thread until I see the new version in the new sheets thread.