What's new

Diablo III Discussion

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score
To be honest, I'm very much looking forward to this game. I have been and am a fan of Blizzard's Diablo series, as well as Starcraft and Warcraft. Diablo 3 looks to be a fine addition to the Diablo series; new characters, new monsters, continuation of storyline and general improvements on a game that was already rather wonderfull.

One of my farotie things about the Diablo games is the leevl of customization; in "Diablo" any character class could do any type of thing; a rogue could learn healing spells, a fighter learn summon spells or so on, and in Diablo 2 they changed this, so that your character's spells are not limited to the tomes you can find, but instead each of the 5 characters has their own unique combination of abilities and particular areas of expertise. The expansion continued this style by adding in 2 new characters (new total of 7) who are also completely unique from the other characters.

The items are also completely random, so you could find a piece of uber equipment early on, or spend most of the game looking for one simliar to it. Diablo 2 added in respawning monsters (the monsters reset when you save & exit), allowing you to kill them repeadetly for more items/xp/gold/etc. Diablo 2 also added in the feature of socketed items and gems, where you could put a gem into a socketed item to bestow bonuses onto that item, as well as adding set items. Sets are very powerfull becauase you collect the entire set and gain massive set bonuses, much more powerfull than standalone items.

Then the Diablo 2 expansion added in runes and jewels, new type of items that can be place in sokets, and charms that give you bonuses while carried.
These also added to the level of customization of the game, and could be found anywhere and do anything.

As for the storyline, I believe that the Diablo series had a decent storyline, here it is in summary:

Diablo 1: Diablo (Lord of Terror one of 3 brothers that rule hell) appears in catacombs under Tristram. Hero (your character) appears and fights his way down to diablo; kill him. Takes Diablo's soulstone (item allowing him to enter the mortal world) Embeds it into himself, basically possesing himself (intentionally) with Diablo so as to contain his soul.

Diablo 2: your character from the previous game and been possesed by diablo via soulstone, has become the dark wanderer and is heading east to free diablo's brothers (also imprisoned in soulstones), leaving a trail of demons and death behin him. You new character follows him, hunting him down and killing all his minions and servants, saving cities until you reach Kurast,a jungle city and fight your way through to Mephisto (the eldest of the three brothers, lord of hate/undead) and kill him, then you take his soulstone with you into hell, as you hunt down diablo and kill him, and destroy both diablo's and mephisto's souldstones at the hellforge.

Diablo 2 Expansion: Baal (diablo's 3rd brother, middle age , lord of destruction) is still alive and is advancing on the barbarian homeland, home of the World Stone which is the only barrier between hell and the mortal world. you go there to stop him, save the barbarian city, and finally defeat baal, but he has corrupted the worldstone and therefore the Archangel Tyrael destroys it, so as to prevent hell from taking over the world.

Now at this point, everybody thought the series had ending. GG, we win, nothing else left to do, right? well apparently not, Blizzard is coming out with Diablo 3, picking up the story all the way back in Tristram once again.

This new sequel looks very promising, with better graphics new characters, new monsters as ell as some old favorites for both (chars Barbarian, monsters Fallen) as tristram comes under attack again.

What do you guys think about Diablo 3? and while I'm at it lets make this a Sarcraft 2 discussion thread aswell. You can check them out here...

Diablo 3:

Starcraft 2:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Diablo III Discussion

Curious to see exactly how the story plays out for Diablo 3... is it one of the lesser Evils that is now the main villain? Or is there something else? I don't think it'll be one of the three Prime Evils (all dead this time), but we'll see.

Starcraft II. I'm getting a new computer for this game alone. I loved the original, but more so, love the cinematics and story line.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I think the way that Diablo 3 is going for the source of evil is basically, while the prime evils were the lords of hell, (Presumably once fallen angels or some such like that, but essentially intentionally made by god) it looks like the evil in this game is some sort of twisted manifestation of the energies left over from creation. (The things comes from a meteor, so...)

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

D3 looks awesome. I can't wait to pick it up.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

poor poor starcraft 2... they killed lan... and oddly enough this makes all my friends want to buy it less. Strange because lan is piratable.

i like what there doing with diablo 3 having each class be able to be male or female and how they've got the skill modifiers, like attack runes to make your teleport attack, or add DoT, etc..

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

diablo.... HUUUGGEE snoozefest. Can't imagine how anybody finds it remotely fun. When I picked it up to play with a friend, I was bashing my skull against the wall in boredom. And no, I didn't just play for a couple hours and stop, I think I got my character to level 40 or 50 before I threw the game out.

Starcraft, on the other hand, I was looking forward to... for the first two years when they were actually updating their site. I have a feeling that a lot of devs got shoved over to the D3 project (cash cow, cash cow, yum yum yum).

Blizzard used to have so much respect from me... until WoW. Now they're just sort of another megacompany that plays the market rather than worry about quality. Although they do seem to promote integrity more than the average megacompany, I'm not sure how much of a facade that is.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Less Diablo 3, and more the next WoW exapnsion that they just announced probably. That's where most of Blizzards manpower went, after most of the brains left.

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

*grumbles* seriously? How many is this now... three expansions? Four? [refer to whatshisname's milking dead cows comment]

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

It's the third, this time they're only raising the level cap by 5 and adding a pair of minor races. goblins for the Horde, and werewolves for the Alliance. Don't ask me where the werewolves came from, or why the goblins are joining the horde. It doesn't sound very good to me, but millions of people are going to buy it anyway, so bleh.

Momiji

Lurker
Reputation score

It's the third, this time they're only raising the level cap by 5 and adding a pair of minor races. goblins for the Horde, and werewolves for the Alliance. Don't ask me where the werewolves came from, or why the goblins are joining the horde. It doesn't sound very good to me, but millions of people are going to buy it anyway, so bleh.
Are you kidding me? There's a rumor that they're gonna unleash HELL upon the entire game world. Entire towns just fucking OBLITERATED. That would make the game awesome.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

*grumbles* seriously? How many is this now... three expansions? Four? [refer to whatshisname's milking dead cows comment]
Everquest has like 7 or 8 and my brother owns all of them.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Lol, I never heard that one. Probably bringing out the Burning Legion again, if it's true. I know they're changing the way some of the stats work, and changing some of the classes around.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

The new big bad is a giant dragon, DeathWing. The game world getting wrecked is due to him. The werewolves (called Worgen) have been around since WoW launched, but they are only just now figuring how not to go crazy and kill people on sight. The small group of goblins are joining the Horde because the Horde saved them from getting killed by Humans after being driven off their island home (like the trolls).

You could say that I like Warcraft and WoW.

Oh and Everquest is up to expansion 16...

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

The new big bad is a giant dragon, DeathWing. The game world getting wrecked is due to him. The werewolves (called Worgen) have been around since WoW launched, but they are only just now figuring how not to go crazy and kill people on sight. The small group of goblins are joining the Horde because the Horde saved them from getting killed by Humans after being driven off their island home (like the trolls).

You could say that I like Warcraft and WoW.

Oh and Everquest is up to expansion 16...
Deathwing? The big huge metal-covered dragon from BTDP?

Dude, I killed him with mages in War2.

HAAAX!!!

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah seriously, from what I remember of WC lore, isn't Deathwing supposed to be dead?

*sigh* that's one gripe I have about fantasy worlds... nobody ever stays fucking dead... the D&D universe is absolutely AWFUL about it....

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

According to , he was defeated twice in BTDP, but wasn't killed ;)

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yeah seriously, from what I remember of WC lore, isn't Deathwing supposed to be dead?

*sigh* that's one gripe I have about fantasy worlds... nobody ever stays fucking dead... the D&D universe is absolutely AWFUL about it....
What do you expect, when you can resurrect people that have been dead for over 200 years?

Alias

Lurker
Reputation score

*shrug* I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for the setting... just that it gets tiresome when it's pretty much impossible to kill anybody. It's like oh. here comes John BKrazy again. it's like the sixth time he's returned back to life after being killed. And now he's... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Bleh. There are ways to prevent resurrection, like feeding his soul to a Death giant or one of those weird astral undead that eats souls, but a Wish or Miracle can get around that pretty easily.

OP
Games Dude

Games Dude

Lurker
Reputation score

Curious to see exactly how the story plays out for Diablo 3...
I honestly don't know where the story could go, but I hope it stays strong!

Starcraft II. I'm getting a new computer for this game alone.
I'm blowin all my money on a computer for Diablo when it comes out... I doubt I'll be able to use any of these games unless I do.. hell I can't even run DOOM 3 properly on this computer.

diablo.... HUUUGGEE snoozefest. Can't imagine how anybody finds it remotely fun. When I picked it up to play with a friend, I was bashing my skull against the wall in boredom. And no, I didn't just play for a couple hours and stop, I think I got my character to level 40 or 50 before I threw the game out.
Well your opinion is your opinion, and I'll respect that not everybody likes my favorite games :), but at least you gave it a good solid try before you gave up on it, thats a lot more than most people would do.

Yeah I never got WoW because I just don't see any point to that one. The only WoW disc I evee got was the 14-day free trial that came with my WC Battle Chest, and I still haven't used it. I do believe that WoW is THE Blizzard cash cow.

Deathwing? The big huge metal-covered dragon from BTDP?

Dude, I killed him with mages in War2.
Mages?! Damn man.. that woulda been helpfull back when I was at that point in the campaign... I used archers, and it didn't work quite so well..
But yeah he did get "defeated" twice in Warcraft 2, but obviously; NPCs never die... so hes back again I guess.

Bleh. There are ways to prevent resurrection, like feeding his soul to a Death giant or one of those weird astral undead that eats souls, but a Wish or Miracle can get around that pretty easily.
Well usually all you have to do is let the body decompose. Or at least that's the way it worked in the Warcraft series. Somebody dies, their corpse decomposes, they never come back again.

...unless they were an NPC of course. e.g. Kel'Thuzad (wacraft3 reign of chaos, undead campaign, levels 2-5;))

Last edited: