What's new

DnD Books

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: DnD Books

That's something I'm used to seeing a lot in comic books, unfortunately. :rolleyes: I'm totally with you on that; the settings and characters shouldn't be changed to fit with someone's random new direction. I don't know about any of the D&D settings, really, I've only ever played in worlds that people make have made up themselves (or with the group <3) but Batman doesn't have a biological son, damnit. :p
I'd make a comment about Batman being gay but I know he was totally into Catwoman, so I'm not saying anything. And given the comics that I've started reading now don't retcon too much (hard to do when it's based on a novel), I haven't been seeing it much, but yeah. I'm afraid to jump into any of the newer storylines for fear of not knowing wtf is going on. I'm also not saying a word about the Goddamn Batman.

On topic: Anybody partake of the Free RPG day that happened recently? They were giving out a Pathfinder Bestiary suppliment and something for 4th Edition (also, Paranoia! *Squee!*)

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

At least with regards to the discussion 4th edition D&D...I feel the need to point out something.

Gary Gygax himself was the one making the changes. He wanted to make things so that the system could be switched from a tabletop to computer setting with a single book, as opposed to all of the changes that would be required for 3.5, 3rd, and the other editions. Obviously, there's stuff that you could do in the earlier systems that would be a complete bitch to try to code.

And before anyone complains, this information was taken from an actual interview with Gygax before his death. Once I find the link again, I'll post it.

Anyway, the short version of this is that the creator of D&D himself was the one who made the changes. And I personally choose to respect his wishes for his own creation by not insulting them, even if I decide that I don't agree with them. I've only skimmed through the latest version of the Star Wars d20 corebook, which my brother says is 4th ed rules, so I'm going to withhold any judgements.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, as you said...they're Gygax's creations and, being a personage of creativity myself, I won't knock any creator for wanting to do what they want to do with their own stuff. Doesn't mean I have to *like* it and knowing that isn't going to make me like it more. I suppose it does make a little more sense, since it pretty much seems like a book form of a video game to me.

End result: Copper doesn't buy the books and plays something else. No loss.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

Eh, I haven't bothered toDLperuse the new edition, and I don't have any real drive to do so at the moment.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

This actually happens with every new edition that comes out. It's not really a knock against the new edition it's just certain editions fit better with the way different people play. It's actually good in a way because it keeps the older stuff from dying out completely. I know people who play just about every edition some people cross to different editions occasionally, some people stick with one and despise all others.

I don't hate 4ED I just don't want to play it is all, because it's not my idea of fun. I know plenty of people who hate 3.0, which is actually my favorite.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i mostly played 2nd ed, but switched to third once i figured out that i didn't have to worry about thaco any more.

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Cant be arsed to read through this seeing as Im not on for long now, but I have a ton of DnD books, I think nearly all of the 3.5 edition books. I'll have to find them and then I'll upload them all at another date.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

Today the DM decided that the party was going to face a troll. This was, of course, after we'd wasted all of our healing spells and most of our combat spells on easier monsters. So our sorcerer decides to charm the beast, and convince it to kill the rest of the weenies. Then he convinces that bathing in lamp oil is a victory ritual, and sets it on fire. Then we ran. Very very quickly.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

I'm going to have to remember that one. Haven't faced a troll yet. Did, however, face a cauldron that was trying to eat us...

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

I meant ogre. Not a troll. I'm new at this, I get confused. I also have a habit of using low level spells for stupid bullshit, like using mage hand to deliver a swift crotch punch in the middle of a fight or trying to use dancing lights to confuse opponents. The DM rather likes me for this.

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

I meant ogre. Not a troll. I'm new at this, I get confused. I also have a habit of using low level spells for stupid bullshit, like using mage hand to deliver a swift crotch punch in the middle of a fight or trying to use dancing lights to confuse opponents. The DM rather likes me for this.
Everytime you use a low level spell for stupid BS like that, you should always say beforehand "Alright, I wanna cast a spell."

XD

All hail Sir Schmoopy

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

If it works, it ain't stupid. That's pretty much the rule for the group I play with.

In fact...

...like using mage hand to deliver a swift crotch punch in the middle of a fight...
...I can has plan.

OP

Lurker
Reputation score

ITT: Think of amazing uses for stupid spells, post them.

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

You mean like using heat metal to cook food?

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I once used prestidigitation (I can never pronounce that damn spell though) To paint a female version of a warg on a wall and the gm let me use a bluff check to get the male warg to try and run up to the female warg. I like fun uses off bluff checks. I even once convinced the golbin cleric who thought he was a green halfling (That is the personality the character started with) into thinking he was a troll.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

If it works, it ain't stupid. That's pretty much the rule for the group I play with.
No worries on getting the monsters mixed up. It happens. And hell, I try to do stuff like that all the time! Let's see...

Now, this is mostly 2nd edition rules, but still...

The one I tried that *didn't* work was that we had a bunch of goblins trying to slaughter us and I wanted to use audible glamour (effectively, a noise illusion) to make a roaring sound to try to scare them off. DM said my level wasn't high enough to make a sound loud enough that'd fool 'em though. (But I'm not going to get into *that* rant.)

Did, however, succeed in hiding us from a group of frost giants with an illusion spell that made the cliff we were hiding under look like a snowbank.

Used a bolt from my ring of Telekinesis to bs my way into killing a character *grins* Given that it was a ring, I could direct where I wanted the hit, so I asked the DM "So, can I do that...shove the cartiledge into the brain thing if I hit her in the nose?" "That won't necessarily kill her." "I'm still going to try anyway." "I'll give you a 5% chance." *DM rolls a 3* "Sonofa...You killed her." (Said villain was later brought back and is thoroughly pissed at me...for several reasons, actually.)

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Haven't actually used it yet...But I've threatened to cast a modified version of Evard's Black Tentacles on some of the villains in one campaign I've been in.

GM said that the "spaghetti breakfast" variant spell would be allowed, too.

...Of course, this is the campaign that the group's barbarian got stoned and invented Cheetoes (or however the hell that's spelled) while under the influence of the munchies.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

i remember someone was annoying me once so i went to cut off their penis. Natural 20 baby. unfortunately i think he died as we were only level 2 and he was a mage.

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Need to put a small request out, since my access to something has become spotty...

Does anyone have a PDF version of the d20 Star Wars 3.5 Corebook?

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

The grease spell to trip an old lady down the stairs. She broke her neck and died. I looted her corpse. Needless to say everyone else was pissed at me.