Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Oblivion with Guns

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
because i'm keenly up to date with everything ever i've decided to bring up this age old question about this recent release block buster.

fallout 3, is it really fallout or is it just oblivion with guns.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Fallout 3 / Oblivion with Guns

The system feels entirely like oblivion with guns, but I honestly tell you to not let that stop you from playing it, if your holding out. I luvs it lots :D

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

100% Oblivion with guns.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

tis true shrike, oblivion was fun, oblivion with guns is fun.

Cappy

Reputation score

Well if you're that intent upon it,
Fine.

But I still think Fallout 3 has earned it's own name with the superior weapons, creatures, everything, I just enjoy it a whole lot more than Oblivion, not that Oblivion wasn't good or anything, in my opinion Fallout 3 is better, and has earned it's own name, so if you insist on pushing this matter fine, but don't expect me to start calling it Oblivion with guns.

AKA I would pick drinking out of a toilet full of radiation over trying to get into the mages guild anyday, not to mention that at least the mapping in Fallout 3 isn't the same 4 yards of field copypasted a million times. xD

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 is a damn awesome game. In some ways though, it reminds me of how Mario 2 for the NES was actually just a copy of Doki Doki Panic for the NES with Mario sprites inserted into the game.

It's not bad... But in some ways it does feel kind of awkward paying for both games and not seeing a very dramatic difference in the key functions of the game. Doesn't mean it isn't a solid game that's worth buying. It's just... I dunno. Guess people can be fickle.

Cappy

Reputation score

Well which do you think is better, Oblivion or Fallout?
I don't see how two games set in completely different universes with everything VERY, VERY DIFFERENT, gameplay mechanics and all, the same game.

It might be the same Genre maybe, but then again,
you know how that game Street Fighter is like Mortal Combat? Mortal Combat 26, totally. (I know, bad example but you get the point.)

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I like Fallout 3 better because of the setting, no doubt. But coming off of playing Oblivion, it just feels familiar in a "well this all feels cozy but I kind of wish they had changed it up just a little more" kind of way. V.A.T.S. is pretty sweet, and does give you the option for much more tactical combat. But things like the mechanics of the inventory system remain the same. I don't always feel like upgrading skill X so I don't have to run back to repair my weapons and armor as much at the cost of me inflicting lesser amounts of damage on enemies.

Like in Oblivion, Fallout 3 has the same kind of restricting way of leveling up, except you can kind of get cornered into playing a certain way rather than choosing your own way a bit more easily than you could in Oblivion.

I know that things like that are the staple of these series of games ever since Morrowind, but sometimes it doesn't always quite click with me.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

its not so much that i thought i was playing oblivion, its just that i didn't feel like i was playing fallout.

as i've said it didn't have the same panache (i'm talking about the content not first person or other gameplay things) that fallout did in several ways, what makes you think that "fallout 3" is deserving of the fallout name?

Cappy

Reputation score

its not so much that i thought i was playing oblivion, its just that i didn't feel like i was playing fallout.

as i've said it didn't have the same panache that fallout did in several ways, what makes you think that "fallout 3" is deserving of the fallout name?
What makes you think it doesn't?

It's its own game, not a branch off the Oblivion series, stop making it out that way.

If you don't want it to be Fallout 3, make up a new name for it, I vouch for "Exploding Nuclear Stuff Game of Amusingness" in other words ENSA.
I just refuse to have it be "Oblivion with Guns" because that isn't what it is.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

well my arguments for it being called oblivion with guns are sparse and not particularly convincing and i dont care about them.

"where is the flare of new reno or the feeling of just eeking out a living in redding or the shotgun wedding after deflowering a farmers daughter, where is the decadence and obscenity, its supposed to be 90% serious, instead your just walking around in mad max 2."

Cappy

Reputation score

well my arguments for it being called oblivion with guns are sparse and not particularly convincing and i dont care about them.

"where is the flare of new reno or the feeling of just eeking out a living in redding or the shotgun wedding after deflowering a farmers daughter, where is the decadence and obscenity, its supposed to be 90% serious, instead your just walking around in mad max 2."
I see you're point, it's a fun game, but it's not fallout.
But it still isn't Oblivion, it deserves more than what you're giving it.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

It's an exelent game and I enjoyed it very much, but I find anyone who has played the original two Fallout titles will have plenty of little niggles with it and things they wish Bethesda did differently. It's like if your favourite author died and the publisher had someone else try to continue their work. Might still be a perfectly good book, but anyone that knows the series will pick it out as an imposter.

I largely don't go for the comparing it to Oblivion thing, since I see plenty of differences. But if there's one thing Bethesda definitely shouldn't have brought over from their own series, it's handing the player an Oblivion style house on a plate. 99% of players will head striaght for Megaton, where they practically have the bomb/get house mission thrust into their face. Once you have the incredibly helpful house you'd be mad not to use it. It imediately wiped the nomad style of the previous Fallouts out of the game. I mean seriously? The robot butler? He's awesome and all, but that's just too freaking kind for the start of a Fallout game. The entire map is centralised around player set out from their house, and fast travelling back to sell junk. Also since all shop keepers in F3 have infinite cash, you end up trekking back and forth between your home the entire game to sell all your loot. I really liked the whole F1/2 mechnic of bartering and how traders had limited or sometimes virtually zero money. Meaning you had to consider what was really worth taking and trying to trade rather than mindlessly picking up every raider armour and combining it because you could always fast travel back and forth at no penalty.

Again, excellent game, but I feel there was a lot they could have done better. There's more stuff than I care to write about right now.

[edit]
Oh, and why in the first fallout game that won't allow you to kill children, do they introduce the most annoying gang of cave dwelling brats in game history?

Last edited:

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

[edit]
Oh, and why in the first fallout game that won't allow you to kill children, do they introduce the most annoying gang of cave dwelling brats in game history?
Because it's more fun to sell them into slavery?

Cappy

Reputation score

Well, I realise it might be a poor sequel to the original games,
But if you just look at it as a game, for what it is, then it's a good game,
and entertaining, I personally haven't played the originals, although I do plan to download them illegally at some point (shhh) and give em a ride.

I just don't want people labelling it as Oblivion-like, so please, if you would be so kind as to give it a different title, rather than tab it as some random game with a slightly similar interface

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

cappy your going for windmills again, saying its a bad fallout game obviously doesn't make it a bad game in its own right and so far no one has voiced dislike.

how about we call it van buren?

24FM

Lurker
Reputation score

@squid
The shops don't have infinite cash. :p

Last edited:

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

To me, it's Fallout just because it follows the same background plot. It feels like Terminator Salvation compared to Terminator 1 (not in terms of quality, but in terms of style).

It's unlike Oblivion in that Fallout has a proper experience counter, in which you kill things to fill your experience, then upgrade your skills. Where in Oblivion (In something they've done in the Elder Scrolls since Dagger Fall, more than likely Arena as well) you have to use the skills to upgrade the skills, and upgrade the skills enough you can level up to increase your stats, which to me makes more sense than "Hey look I just gunned down a bunch of raiders with a pistol and I leveled up. I am now better with first aid."

In Oblivion you can also join factions. The Mages Guild, Fighter's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and so on and so forth. In Fallout 3 you do not actually join any factions, or even get any true advantages for helping any of them. Even helping out the Brotherhood of Steel isn't an advantage as its just how the plot goes.

As for the environment, Oblivion wasn't copy and pasted Cappy, they designed the map from scratch. Neither was Morrowind. They've done the same process of map design since Elder Scrolls 3, and used it in Fallout 3 to create a world worth exploring. The big difference is that Oblivion has green, with fields, castles, villages, clear blue lakes, demented blood caked realms of Oblivion, the strange islands of the Shivering Isles, and a fight above the clouds, whereas Fallout 3 has plains of sand covered in weeds, ruined buildings, husks of old technology scraped together into villages, poisoned rivers, twisted fleshless characters and so forth.

Even down to Combat, there's no fatigue to come into play to determine your damage, but they do have a V.A.T.S. system which allows one to pause the game, take a breath and determine where they want to shoot their enemy.

Yes its easy to call Fallout 3 "Oblivion with guns" but if that was the case I suppose Dragon Age is KOTOR with swords. Battlefield BC2 is Call of Duty with vehicles. SoulCalibur 4 is Tekken with weapons. Mortal Kombat is Street Fighter with blood. The Darkness is Chronicles of Riddick with Demons.

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score

I haven't played Oblivion.

I haven't played Fallout 1, 2 or tactics.

For me, it was just a kinda cool if irritatingly buggy game. A glitch neutered my gauss rifle so that it did next to no damage, so all it was good for was throwing enemies around the room because it still did massive knockback. The most annoying of the glitches I encountered because of its permanency.

I found it did get a little repetitive for my liking, as every fight quickly became the same. :/

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

As for the environment, Oblivion wasn't copy and pasted Cappy, they designed the map from scratch. Neither was Morrowind. They've done the same process of map design since Elder Scrolls 3, and used it in Fallout 3 to create a world worth exploring. The big difference is that Oblivion has green, with fields, castles, villages, clear blue lakes, demented blood caked realms of Oblivion, the strange islands of the Shivering Isles, and a fight above the clouds, whereas Fallout 3 has plains of sand covered in weeds, ruined buildings, husks of old technology scraped together into villages, poisoned rivers, twisted fleshless characters and so forth.
i think he was referring to fallout 1 and 2 where it was basically tile based.