What's new

Games Discussion Thread

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Games Discussion Thread

OH! You mean latency (I think? That's what we used to call it, unless it's actually tied to the frames per second.). And that certainly explains alot of what I've been seeing on the death-cam lately!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

No, latency is the travel time of data from your computer to the server and the other way around

Tickrate is how often this data gets send

They have a similar effect though, and a low tickrate may often feel like high latency

Sakrilas

Demon Girl
Reputation score

And then you have to play ranked anyway, because anything else has a tickrate of 20. Laughably bad.
[...]
Just part of another disappointment from Overwatch, really.
Sorry for dropping in out of the blue, but this really got my interest.

What's the usual tick-rate for other famous shooter games? For example, Battlefield / Counter Strike?

This low tick-rate seems like a really odd decision by Blizzard, considering they clearly have interest in Overwatch getting into the E-sport field.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

A quick google reports:
CS:Go - 64(Or 128 depending on server owner)
Call of Duty - 32
Battlefield - 60

Keep in mind that Overwatch in ranked mode does in fact have a tick rate of 60, thus putting it up there at regular games that have some pride in their competitive settings or skill ratings

If you're not into the whole competitive 'MUST WIN never leave always play perfect' thing you're out of luck and stuck with what's essentially discount servers though

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Guild Wars 2 started off their new "Living Season 3" last week, continuing their storyline. If you have Heart of Thorns and log in before their next "episode" goes online, you get that first episode for free.
Bah. I lack Heart of Thorns. Got the core for free when it went out and then just...stopped playing. Dunno. Guess I'm too invested in Neverwinter, for all it's flaws.

On the plus(?) side, I get to venture into WoW for a month, courtesy of LootCrate. I guess this month's box includes a code for the game and a free month's worth of gameplay. Thoughts?

Also going to post this link here and a couple other places. Vampire the Masquerade humble bundle.

Sakrilas

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Keep in mind that Overwatch in ranked mode does in fact have a tick rate of 60, thus putting it up there at regular games that have some pride in their competitive settings or skill ratings
Are you sure the 60 Hz applies to ranked?

I'm having the impression it only applies for Custom game for now.

Today someone posted on the battlenet forums.

Blizzard let us try 60Hz Tickrate servers on PTR [...] before Season 2 starts
To which someone replied:
Just add some fellow 60Hz fans to your battletag and get into a custom game.
When I tried googling for "Competitive Tick rate overwatch" I only see pages of people asking for it.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Then I'm not quite sure.

From my knowledge, Blizzard said 60 tickrate competitive to a question about the low quick play tickrate

I could be wrong though

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So do I, but man, it's over half a year away.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

But... ME3!

I don't know if I want to play space-jesus and be shoe-horned into 1 of only 3 SET endings again...

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sure, the ending was kinda eh to put it mildly, but the game until then was SO GOOD.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So do I, but man, it's over half a year away.
You know what ISN'T half a year away? That guy's ability to post links, cuz he just spammed a bunch of threads. With BOTH of his accounts... Even on the same threads, for some reason.

Last edited:

Zepheral

The Dark God Of Lesbians and Memes
Reputation score

You know what ISN'T half a year away? That guy's ability to post links, cuz he just spammed a bunch of threads. With BOTH of his accounts... Even on the same threads, for some reason.

Sinclair

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

You know when the game is bad when ppl have to use mods to create a suitable ending for it LOL

OP
Rule 34

Rule 34

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

No Man's Sky: It's not worth $ 60. It's Minecraft without base-building. Just as well though, because you can't set waypoints to find stuff. When you go from a planet to a space station and back, chances are pretty high you're going to land somewhere you've never been before. Basically, chances are high you've seen everything the game has to offer by the time you take off from the planet you start out on - after that, the game can be summed up by "Rinse. Repeat."

Word is Hello Games will give content updates over the year or so. Wait until then and buy it when it's on sale.

Byzantine2014

Tentacle God
Reputation score

^when it first previewed it looked pretty good, I mean, taking off from your carrier and strafing over a planet with your wingmen, then having enemy ships warp in and fighting them off in space and atmo, was like everything battlefront originally promised and failed to deliver on... But sounds like it's just a grind fest on the planets. Heard graphics requirements are pretty high too, half the negative reviews on steam revolve around that.

Recently played 8-bit army: Hordes; it's a fairly decent strategy game, not much depth to it though. The art style is enjoyable, and maps are well made, with a decent roster of units, follows the atypical orcs vs humans and pretty similar to Warcraft II in story... Basically just a simple fun strategy game that's fairly cheap.

Not quite as good as 8-but theatre though ;)

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Haha, yeah if NMS didn't CTD instantly for so many people it might not have gotten QUITE so many bad reviews but DAMN that's awful. Thank you Sony!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Apparently, the PC version of No Man's Sky is just an emulated PS4 version

Which means that it can basically give pirate groups a full list of "How to emulate PS4" without them having to worry about doing any work

Just a rumour though

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Wow. And people thought the porting of the last Arknum game was terrible.