What's new

Garnering Interest: Paradise

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Garnering Interest: Paradise

That's correct. Humans receive no bonuses or maluses, except for the ones received from their corporations.

And I hope Yutani isn't in the minority. Who else will protect us from the Predators and Xenomorphs!?
Batman!

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

I'd go Yutani myself if only for the chance of beating something senseless with a power loader.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Showing a bit of interest, and Sulander seems a decent second corp choice but I could be persuaded otherwise.

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Strength: This is your body score. BODY.
Accuracy: This is your Perception score. PERCEPTION.
Stamina: This is your Endurance score plus a quarter of your body score. ENDURANCE + (.25*BODY).
Welding: This is your Mind Score, with half your agility added on. MIND + (.5*AGILITY)
Dodge: This is your Agility, with a quarter of your Perception added on. AGILITY + (.25*PERCEPTION)
Research: This is your Mind score. MIND.
Psyche: This is your Mind score plus half your Endurance score. MIND + (.5*Endurance)
Influence: This is your Body plus half your Mind score. BODY + (.5*Mind)
Code:
Stat           Weight
Body           2.25
Mind           3.5
Agility        1.5
Perception     1.25
Endurance      1.5
So... Can someone explain to me why people want to play a pvp game with Yutani given that they are the weakest group in the game?

I'm all for playing for fun and not victory, but I'd think people would want to not be on the side will lose even when they try to win. Especially because Yutani gives a massive penalty to both base building and research. Which I would think would be critical to doing well.

I mean, scientists and engineers effectively start with only 7 character points if they are with Yutani given that they will need to put points into mind, and each side will at least need one of each of those.

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So... Can someone explain to me why people want to play a pvp game with Yutani given that they are the weakest group in the game?
Edit again: Changed Welding to be ENDURANCE + (.5*AGILITY). That way no companies have a completely screwed work force.
That wasn't actually put into the original post, but it changes the weights to a more reasonable:

Code:
Stat           Weight
Body           2.25
Mind           2.5
Agility        1.5
Perception     1.25
Endurance      2.5
Edit: and while I'm at it, why don't I normalize the values? (i.e. the total weights for any given derived stat should total to 1 in the weight calculation. No reason to change the *actual* calculation, but normal is better for comparison. Having a "6" in strength (body) is more impressive then having a "6" in psyche (mind + 1/2 endurance).)

Edit 2: and I'll express the final result as a percent of the largest value (mind)

Code:
Stat           Normalized Weight as a percent of mind's normalized weight
Mind           100%
Body           93%
Endurance      90%
Agility        60%
Perception     56.5%

Last edited:

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Ah, I never saw silth's two edits.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Because I get powered combat armor. Now, all I need is a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

So far, we've got: Corporations, Races, and Classes. Then, we've got Primary and Derived Stats, Feats, Tech Trees, Base Building, and Skill Trees of some sort.

Last edited:
OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yutani's weak mentality and genetically wise, but they're weapons make up for more than that. The Meta humans get their own equipment through tech trees that make base-building a snap.

Feats will be a very, very small portion of the game, as technology trees will be able to do a lot more.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Do I get a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning? Pweeez? :)

What I wrote sounds a little too much like a complaint, in hindsight. Was just trying to boil things down, thinking out loud.

Archer

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yutani gets access to the universal answer to any problem.

Dakka.

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Updating on my new Droids phone - and may I say, the intro image looks awesome on this screen.

I'm coming up with tech trees and weapon trees as we speak. It may be another week or so untill you see me posting stuff for the game.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

To be honest, this does sound intriguing... I'm just not in the habit of posting about mere interest.

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Proposal:

Should I just whip up a character sheet creator on Excel, let you guys come up with them, then RP your characters on their respective ships? It might give you guys something to do, as well as build character stories?

Edit:
Of course, I'd have to pick a second corporation before we do this. But, if you all want to develop a character and their background before the game starts, I'm up for it.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Sure. Though excel is hardly my favorite tool, especially for when I start putting in the wordy bits.

DeMatt

Lurker
Reputation score

For a second corp, I'd put my vote in for either Sulander or Lunar. When I play strat games, I tend to base-building more than army-building anyways.

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Alright, I've been working steadily on this for the past week. I've started drawing up the tech trees, but mostly I've been working on Weapons and Buildings/Bases... Because I find those the most excruciating thing to do. They... actually hurt me.

But I'll still post my progress on them!

Edit: Here's how I plan on the weapons working.

Since the corporations don't believe in free labor, you'll be paid for every task you complete - missions, killing enemies (NPCs and PCs), finding & tapping into resource nodes, and finding anything of interest. However, buying weapons, ammo, bases, robots, and NPCs to help guard your base always costs money. Characters make their own money, but after every important task is completed, the base they're currently working for gets money, also.

When you need to buy weapon or an ammo, you give up some of the money you've made for the ammo, and a lot of money for the weapon. To be able to access another Tier of weaponry, you need to buy the license to do so; your base also needs to be equipped with the machinery to make the weapon.

In other words, to access the higher weapons, you need to have a better base. It's a rather free-range game, but there's a story behind everything too (just in case there are people who hate free range stuff). Please note, Yutani doesn't need the right kind of equipment to access their special weapons; they can ordered from Yutani as long as the character has the monies.

Last edited:
OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Weapons: Weapons are split up into seven categories: Pistols, Assault Weapons, Shotguns, Rifles, Melee Weapons, Heavy Weapons, and Explosives. Certain classes can only access certain weapons.

Pistols: Pistols can be used by every class, mainly for close ranged attacks. Scientists are restricted to only pistols, but can get nearly every pistol available. Pistols a split into Medium Pistols, Heavy Pistols, and Automatic Pistols (sometimes referred to as SMGs).
Tier 1 Pistols:
Any class after this point may use these pistols.

DX8 Pistol: A cheap, reliable firearm guaranteed to ruin someone's day, somewhere.
Damage: D2, clip size: 12, firing rate: Semi Auto
Very long rage: -5, long range: -4, Medium range: -2, Short range: -1, Very short range: 0
Cost: Free.

Tyrant: A heavy pistol with limited clip size, playing the role of a Magnum.
Damage: D4, clip size: 6, firing rate: Semi Auto
Very long range: -7, long range: -5, Medium range: -3, Short Range: 0, Very short range: -1
Cost: 300 credits

Kingston Auto: A lighter pistol, it can fire at a recorded 200 rounds per minute; but only if the combatant can reload fast enough.
Damage: D3, clip size: 20, firing rate: Full Auto
Very long range: -10, long range: -7, Medium Range: -5, Short range: -3, Very short range: 0
Cost: 300 Credits

Modified DX8: A DX8 with quality equipment built into it, plus a laser sight for improved aiming.
Damage: D4, clip size: 12, Firing rate: Semi Auto
Very long range: -3, long range: -1, Medium range: 0, Short range: +1, Very short range: 0
Cost: 800 credits

Tier 2 Pistols:
Any class but Bodyguards may use the pistols after this point.

Quantum X11: A heavy, armor-piercing pistol that uses 14mm shells to obliterate enemies. It's illegal to use in the streets, only available in full-scale military situations.
Damage: D6, clip size: 8, Firing Rate: Semi Auto
Very long range: -10, Long range: -8, Medium range: -5, Short range: 0, Very short range: +2
Cost: 1200 Credits

Anubis Machine Pistol: A rapid fighter medium pistol.
Damage: D4, clip size: 30, firing rate: Full Auto
Very long range: -15, long range: -12, Medium range: -8, short range: -2, very short range: +2
Cost: 1500 Credits

Tier 3 Pistols:
Only Rangers and Scientists may use the pistols after this point.

Tempest SMG: A special weapon that, instead of using rounds in a clip, it uses shaving off a block of metal as ammunition. It's a unique Mass Driver technology developed by Yutani, recently made available to all the other corporations. It does little damage, has horrible long-range accuracy, but can shoot over 900 rounds per second.
Damage: D2, clip size: 50, firing rate: full auto
Very long range: -25, long range: -20, medium range: -10, Short range: 0, Very short range: +5
Cost: 4000 Credits

Vortex: Another heavy pistol, suited for long range battles with it's high-caliber slug. The firearm is based off miniaturization of armaments on cruisers, with phasic slugs that can fly at an extremely high speed. This pistol round plows through anything less than five feet thick.
Damage: d8, clip size: 8, firing rate: Single Fire
Very long range: -10, long range: -7, medium range: -3, short range: 0, very short range: -5
Cost: 8000 Credits
Special: Can pierce multiple objects.

Spiral Pistol: A medium pistol, still in use afters hundreds of years after it's original design, this pistol has spiraling grooves along the inside of the barrel, making every bullet spiral as it leaves the chamber, increasing the velocity of each impacting round. Yutani has recently fixed the problem with the rounds spinning out of control. It still has slightly low accuracy.
Damage: D6, clip size: 18, firing rate: Semi Auto
Very long range: -8, long range: -6, medium range: -5, short range: -3, very short range -1
Cost: 8500 Credits

Tier 4 Pistols:
Only Yutani Scientists and Rangers may use the pistols after this point.

DX12 Pistol: A firearm usually reserved for Special Forces, Yutani has no qualms about giving this firearm to their employees who pay for it. Made with the best equipment available, the longest lasting material, and even using a special mass driver, the DX12 is the stuff of mythos.
Damage: D12, clip size: 20, firing rate: semi auto
Very long range: -4, long range: -2, medium range: +2, short range: +3, very short range: +3
Cost: 15000 Credits

Assault Weapons: Assault weapons, usually of a rifle variety, are either automatic or semi automatic, create big holes in most organic targets, but usually suffer a greater penalty at long range than pistols. All Assault weapons condense into a smaller form when not being used, making it easier for forces to move through an environment undeterred.

Tier 1 Assault Weapons
Only Rangers, Scouts and Force Commanders may use weapons after this point.
EXCEPTION: All Yutani forces may use weapons after this point.

Corsair: The standard weapon for all military forces and corporation grunts, it fires at a measly 180 rounds per minute.
Damage: D8, clip size: 30, firing rate: Automatic.
Very Long Range: -9, long range: -5, Medium range: -2, short range: 0, very short range: -3
Cost: Free

Ingross K80: Before Yutani became the weapon making monopoly it is today, Ingross was a favorite manufacturer in Europe. After they were bought out, Yutani kept many of their designs, including the 'K' systems, which it still uses today.
Damage: D6, clip size: 50, firing rate: Automatic
Very long range: -10, long range: -7, medium range: -2, short range: -1, very short range: -3
Cost: 300 credits

Riptide: The weapon that made a character on the show 'Waterbug' famous, after the character Jan named his titular weapon Nancy. It's another favorite for jungle warfare, but it lacks the power to punch through many obstacles (like trees).
Damage: D8, clip size: 45, firing rate: Automatic
Very long range: -6, long range: -3, medium range: 0, short range: +1, very short range: -5
Cost: 600 credits

Tier 2 Assault Weapons
Only Rangers and Scouts may use weapons after this.
EXCEPTION: Any Yutani employee may use these weapons.

Striker: A popular weapon used by Mercenary and Gangs, it's 3 burst firing mode rips through armor and flesh for ease; it's weak against armored vehicles or buildings, making it ineffective to shoot through barriers.
Damage: D6, clip size: 60, firing rate: 3 burst
Very long range: -5, long range: -1, medium range: +2, short range: +4, very short range: -2
Cost: 1200

AK-93: Another model that never saw a decrease in production, the AK-93 is the newest version of the once popular AK-47. It's main purpose is to make sure a victim doesn't walk away from an encounter with the shooter, whether they die or limp away.
Damage: D12, clip size: 30, firing rate: Automatic
Very long range, -12, long range: -8, medium range: -2, short range: +2, very short range: -4
Cost: 3000 credits

Tier 3 Assault Weapons
Only Rangers may use weapons listed after this.
EXCEPTION: Yutani Scouts, Rangers and Force Commanders may use these weapons.

Pulse Rifle: The Colonial Marines didn't fare too well with this rifle, hopefully the corporation foot soldiers will do much better! There's a grenade launcher underslung on the rifle hand rest, allowing for emergency clearance of a small area. This weapon doesn't condense to a smaller form, making movement through the jungles much harder.
Damage: D8, clip size: 60, firing rate: Automatic
Very long range: -8, long range: -4, medium range: 0, short range: +3, very short range: -3
Cost: 5000 Credits
Special: Movement in the jungle costs an extra one point.

Umbra Rifle: A design recently made available to all corporations, this rifle is reserved mostly to special operation forces. It uses caseless, phasic rounds, punching through armor and organic material alike. While being known as a strong rifle, it lacks the high accuracy most expert Rangers are looking for, and there are some rumors Yutani has encountered material it won't pierce through...
But, there were also rumors that Yutani was once run by an Android too, and everyone knows those were fake.
Damage: D14, clip size: 15, firing rate: Automatic, 3 burst
Cost: 9000 Credits

Tier 4, Yutani Assault weapons
Only Rangers may use weapons listed after this.

Avenger S-Class: The newest weapon developed by Yutani, it's classified as a Light Machine Gun, delivering a blistering 2000 rounds per minute, if hooked up to an auto-feed ammunition line. The firearm uses caseless rounds with exploding tips, tearing apart anything in it's path. The newest add-on allows for a high powered, circular blade to shoot out, cutting through 5-inch thick metal; or a high powered, electric blast, jumping from enemy to enemy. It has horrible accuracy when not mounted on a stand, but that doesn't deter some Rangers from carrying it into battle.
Damage: D20, clip size (unmounted): 30, firing rate: Automatic.
Very long range: -20, long range: -15, medium range: -10, short range: 0, very short range: -10
Cost: 20,000 Credits

Shotguns: Sometimes, the jungle is so thick, you aren't able to see five feet ahead of you; that's why Shotguns are still used on Paradise, despite their low accuracy at long ranges.

Tier 1 Shotguns
Only Rangers, Engineers, Scouts, and Force Commanders may use the Shotguns after this point.

Hensley 'Shotty': Another company overtaken by Yutani in it's early years, Hensley was a renown shotgun maker. They're basic, single barrel design is still in use, even today.
Damage: D8, clip size: 5, firing rate: Single
Very long range: -30, long range: -20, medium range: -10, short range: 0, very short range: +3

Blowback: Double barrel shotgun, just as horrible as the Hensley Shotty.
Damage: D8, clip size: 6, firing rate: Single, Double Barrel
Very long range: -30, long range: -20, medium range: -10, short range: 0, very short range: +3
Cost: 200 Credits

Tier 2 Shotguns
Only Rangers, Engineers and Scouts may use the Shotguns after this point.

Hensley 12 Gauge: A short-barrel weapon, spraying an area with 12mm ball bearings.
Damage: D12, clip size: 4 rounds, firing rate: Single
Very long range: -35, long range: -25, medium range: -10, short range: +3, very short range: +7
Cost: 600 Credits

Deviant: Another double-barreled shotgun, with a larger ammo capacity than the Blowback.
Damage: D10, clip size: 8 rounds, firing rate: Single, Double Barrel
Very long range: -25, long range: -15, medium range: -10, short range: 0, very short range: +3
Cost: 1000 Credits

Tier 3 Shotguns
Only Rangers may use the Shotguns after this.

Katana: An automatic shotgun that with a slightly lower ammo capacity, the Katana is a fully functional assault weapon. It doesn't using a clip, which makes it very hard to reload quickly after a depleting all six shells.
Damage: D10, clip size: 6, firing rate: Auto
Very long range: -30, long range: -25, medium range: -10, short range: +5, very short range: +7
Cost: 4000 Credits

Tier 4 Shotguns
Only Yutani Rangers may use the Shotguns after this point.

Devastator: A shotgun with three barrels that rotate to preform a faster-than-normal shooting. It's devastating 3-barrel blast is where this firearm derived it's name.
Damage: D8, clip size: 12, firing rate: Semi-Auto, 3 Barrel Burst
Very long range: -25, long range: -15, medium range: -5, short range: +7, very short range: +10
Cost: 10,000 Credits
Special: Using 3-Burst-Mode suffers another -5 to all range attacks.

Claymore M300: A specialized shotgun made specifically for Metahumans, the Claymore tends to shatter bones of random humans just from being fired. It can use special explosive shells that obliterate anything in it's path, or regular shotgun shells.
Regular Shell Damage: D6, clip size: 6, firing rate: Single
Explosive Shell Damage: D20, clip size: 1, firing rate: Single
Very long range: -30, long range: -20, medium range: -5, short range: +2, very short range: +7

Rifles: When on a high tower, rifles are the favored weapon of guards. Highly accurate at long ranges, a trained Ranger can peg a moving target with little to problem. While considered an odd armament on Paradise, the Rifle is still the best weapon to be used when guarding a base.
Tier 1 Rifles
Rangers, Scouts, and Field Commanders may use rifles after this point.

L16 Rifle: A classic sniper rifle, it offers Yutani's '3 D's': Dependable, durable and deadly. It's a bit outdated, as it first came into combat around two hundred years ago, but it's still a popular symbol when the government was first overthrown.
Damage: D4, clip size: 6, firing rate: Single
Very long range: 0, long range: -2, medium: - 5, short range: -10, very short range: -20

LARs: Lever Action Rifle-single. It's shells carry slightly more gun powder than the L16 rifle's, allowing it to hit harder. This rifle was meant to replace the L16, but the LARs seems to lack the same 'spirit' the L16 has.
Damage: D6, clip size: 6, firing rate: single
Very long range: +1, Long Range: -1, Medium Range: -5, Short Range: -10, Very short range: -20
Cost: 600 Credits

Tier 2 Rifles
Only Rangers and Field Commanders may use rifles after this point.

Boar Rifle: An old rifle made popular during than the annual Boar Hunt in South Africa, Yutani has recently updated this weapon's lethality.
Damage: D6, Clip size: 8, firing rate: single
Very long range: +6, long range: +3, Medium range: 0, short range: -10, very short range: -25
Cost: 2,000 Credits

VX10 Sniper Rifle: Called a 'mini rail gun', the nick name comes from the slight blue hue it's tracers pick up while firing.
Damage: D12, Clip Size: 6, Firing rate: Single
Very long range: +2, long range: 0, Medium range: -2, short range: -5, very short range: -10
Cost: 4,000 Credits

Tier 3 rifles
Only Rangers may use rifles after this point.

Long Shot: One of the few remaining heavy rifles, it comes with a specialized scope that can see through objects to spot incoming enemies.
Damage: D10, Clip Size: 10, firing rate: Semi-automatic
Very long range: +4, long range: +2, medium range: -1, short range: -7, very short range: -12
Cost: 8,000 Credits

Dead-Eye: Supposedly the pinnacle of technology from Yutani, the Dead-Eye is a serious threat to even the most well armored Metahumans. With a strong heavy hitting tungsten round, a scope that can zoom in further than many others, and a customized grip to fit every user, makes this rifle a very dangerous weapon.
Damage: D15, clip size: 12, firing rate: Semi-Automatic
Very long range: +10, long range: +7, medium range: +2, short range: -2, very short range: -25

Tier 4 Rifles:
Only Yutani Rangers can use rifles after this point.

Widow Maker: A sleek, black sniper rifle, made for special operations. It does very little damage compared to other Yutani-only models, but both Scouts and Field Commanders can still use this weapon.
Damage: D6, Clip Size: 10, firing rate: Semi-Automatic
Very long range: +10, long range: +5, medium range: 0, short range: 0, very short range: -10
Cost: 10,000 Credits

Anti-Material Rifle: A tungsten round encased in a phasic envelope that punches through any material. It suffers from massive kick-back, but it's scope is the most advanced in Yutani's arsenal, allowing an additional four separate modes: Thermal, Night Vision, X-Ray, and 'Tru Scope'.
Damage: D20, clip size: 2, firing rate: Single
Very long range: +7, long range: +2, medium range: -3, short range: -8, very short range: -25
Cost: 30,000 Credits

Melee Weapons: These are considered fall-back items for most classes, but are the main staple of all Bodyguards across the corporations. There are only three tiers to this weapon group, with the third tier reserved specifically for Yutani AND Lunar Foundation Bodyguards..

Tier 1 Melee:
Any Class may use these Melee Weapons.

Brass Knuckles: Classic brass knuckles. Aim for the jaw, and the bone shatters.
Damage: D4.
Short range: +2, very short range: 0

Serrated Knife: Only a four inch blade, it's serrations make for a very painful experience.
Damage: D6
Short range: +3, very short range: 0
Cost: 200 Credits

Boot Bayonet: A longer knife that can strap to the side of the wearer's leg, allowing for easy maneuvering when being grappled.
Damage: D6
Short range: +1, very short range: +4
Cost: 600

Stun Baton: A baton with a small electrical line along the tip, which has a chance to stun the enemy. If the battery runs out, it can still be used to bludgeon.
Damage: D8
Short range: +2, very short range: 0
Cost: 2,000 Credits
Special: 50% chance to stun target for d3 rounds; battery holds a charge for 10 stun attempts.

Tier 2 Melee:
Only Bodyguards may use the weapons after this point.

Hunting Knife: A seven-inch blade, four inches are serrated, while the other three inches is a folded metal, supposedly one molecule thin. It's a multipurpose survival knife, but made for combat and survival in extreme situations.
Short range: +3, very short range: +1
Cost: 700 Credits

Retractable Wand: A metal 'wand' used by riot police. It slips either underneath the sleeve (held there by a restraint), and with the flick of the wrist, is deposited into the user's hand; or stored in a small, special compartment in a boot.
Short range: +4, very short range: -2
Special: Concealed weapon; surprising an opponent gains a +2 to attacks at short range.
Costs: 1,000 Credits

Short Sword: This isn't the true name of the weapon, but the 11-inch, flat blade looks like an old Gladius brought into new, futuristic era.
Damage: D12
Short Range: +3, very short range: -2
Costs: 2,000 Credits

Tier 3 Melee:
Only Yutani and Lunar Foundation Bodyguards may use the weapons after this point.

Extender: A staff-weapon that looks just like a foot-long metal bar; using an intricate process hooked up to the employee's neural network, the metal rod can extend up to ten feet in a surprise attack. Even though it's technically hollow at it's full length, the staff is surprisingly strong.
10 foot range: -4, short range: +4, very short range: 0
Cost: 4,000 credits

Machete: A classic weapon made for hacking through thick undergrowth, it's also great for hacking through limbs!
Damage: D14
Short range: +3, very short range: -2
Cost: 2,000 credits

Vibro-Knuckles: A new design from Yutani, the vibro knuckles are just like brass knuckles, but with a small, vibrating blade to cut through flesh and armor.
Damage: D10
Short range: +6, very short range: +2
Cost: 6,000 credits

The Tempest: The first bladed weapon to use phasic metal, the dual blades on this weapon were inspired by the very early Double Pole Blades used during the Three Kingdoms period. Only very well trained Bodyguards can use this weapon without hurting themselves – or allies around them.
Damage: D14
Short range: +2, very short range: -10

Heavy Weapons, and Explosives are coming soon!

Last edited:

thetwo

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Spiral Pistol: A medium pistol, still in use afters hundreds of years after it's original design, this pistol has spiraling grooves along the inside of the barrel, making every bullet spiral as it leaves the chamber, increasing the velocity of each impacting round. Yutani has recently fixed the problem with the rounds spinning out of control. It still has slightly low accuracy.
Lets see... first the basic physics quibble. Spinning something doesn't make it go faster - in fact, the energy it takes to make something spin means it's going to go slower.

Second, the major firearms issue. One of the most significant advancements in early firearms technology was . A short description of it might be "spiraling groves along the inside of the barrel, making every bullet spin as it leaves the chamber". A short description of the effects would be "the bullet goes in a straighter line, and tumbles less".

Now, I might be misunderstanding what you mean... but it sure *sounds* like rifling.