Garnering Interest: Paradise

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Garnering Interest: Paradise

Everyone can fight. Certain classes (like the Rangers) are better at it than other classes (Scientists). Engineers are an alright fighting class, somewhere in the middle; There will be epic classes, which I'm designing already, and cross-over classes, too. When you get to an epic class, there will be some of those that are no combat, but are the best base builders.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I'm guessing that a mix between builders and fighters on each team is a good idea?

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

For any of you who played that one game that I can't remember,
You mean... battle...something- ! You're going around in tanks in space, sniping people from the cockpits, or staying building your base. Never actually played it, but a guy I know doesn't shut up about it. Only thing I can think of similar was the Sky Captain mode of Future Cop L.A.P.D., or whatever that game’s real name was supposed to be…

Pale

Reputation score

Fuck it, I'm in. Helix and Fissure.

P

Hali

Lurker
Reputation score

*Twitches... Is more than tempted to switch to H&F for the good company...*

plmnko

Tentacle Smut Lord
Reputation score

The only problem I foresee right now? Too little players for all four Corporations to be fielded. I may have to only let two Corporations go at it, then add on the other two when more players join (I wanted at least four active players per team).
Join in to try to solve the problem. Helix & Fissure

Last edited:

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I don't know about fissure, but I know the first thing I thought of when I saw helix was double-helix industries from ME1.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I thought it was called Binary Helix?

And yay, Pale joined! :D

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Maybe... oh well... Helix something.

Kathy

Lurker
Reputation score

Maybe interest? Helix & Fissure or Sulander Corporation...

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Oooh, I had a sudden burst of inspiration (in reality, there was no one to talk to today), and I got a good portion of work done.. All that's left are tech trees, feats, and weapons, and the game will be ready. I updated the first post with the stats, what they help out with, as well as the classes. I'll throw up a character sheet soon.

Pale

Reputation score

Few things. First..

Influence:[//b] This is your Body plus half your Mind score. BODY + (.5*Mind)

Second, if the Rangers are the ranged class of the game, what's the melee class? Scout? Or is melee more of a last-ditch thing in this game..?

Third, you mentioned invading minds.. there doesn't seem to be a class to do this :p.

Oh, and more of a personal quibble.. you've added Sniper as a branch class for Ranger, but the secondary aspects of sniping.. moving undetected, recon, camouflage.. seem to fall under Scout. Query?

P

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Well, to your first..complaint...thingy...

Influence is like Charisma. Your body score is in there, because it's technically how attractive your character looks, and I threw mind in there, because you'd have to be smart to change someone's mind.

Second: There is Melee class. There are feats, weapons and tech that can make a character better at Melee, but it's considered a fall-back attack. Acid on a molecular level is never fun, so it's best to peg your targets at range.

Third: FUCK YOU.

Really though, invading minds will be done by people who have the right genetic mods. Scientists will be the best, and Helix & Fissure will have some special tech to make it easier, whereas Yutani would be the worst to do this. There's a pretty good chance that, whatever exists out there on Paradise, will be able to fuck with your Psyche too.

As per your small quibble... Paradise is going to be covered in a dense jungle. Snipers are ineffective is they can't see very far, so they make better tower guards than they do offensive units, sneaking towards an enemy base. That's why Rangers get sniper, and Scouts don't.

Pale

Reputation score

Cool. I was pointing out the double close brackets leading to Boldfail, though..

..second, I guess you mean "There is -No- Melee class"?. Cool.

And my third and fourth quibbles now make sense. No more complaints sir!

P

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

Given the stat bonuses and dependencies, I would highly suggest that Yutani Industries not be one of the two companies playing this game. Simply put, the -3 stat penalty to mind will make two of the three vital classes significantly weaker (The vital classes being Field Commander, Scientist, and Engineer)

Given that both the scientist and the engineer are extremely dependent on mind...

Similarly Lunar Foundation will have very weak offensive characters due to the penalty to accuracy.

Stat wise, the strongest group is Sulander Corporation because it gets a bonus to research and accuracy while only taking a penalty to grappling and influence.

My suggestion to fix this is to:
  • Make welding based primarily on something other than mind, or not based on mind at all.
  • Make melee just as effective as ranged combat. (Lunar Foundations is screwed otherwise).

Simply put, the stat penalties that H&F and SC recieve are much less detrimental than YI or LF.

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Given the stat bonuses and dependencies, I would highly suggest that Yutani Industries not be one of the two companies playing this game. Simply put, the -3 stat penalty to mind will make two of the three vital classes significantly weaker (The vital classes being Field Commander, Scientist, and Engineer)

Given that both the scientist and the engineer are extremely dependent on mind...

Similarly Lunar Foundation will have very weak offensive characters due to the penalty to accuracy.

Stat wise, the strongest group is Sulander Corporation because it gets a bonus to research and accuracy while only taking a penalty to grappling and influence.

My suggestion to fix this is to:
  • Make welding based primarily on something other than mind, or not based on mind at all.
  • Make melee just as effective as ranged combat. (Lunar Foundations is screwed otherwise).

Simply put, the stat penalties that H&F and SC recieve are much less detrimental than YI or LF.
Noted. I may put in a melee class for Lunar Foundations.

Edit: Threw together a Melee class called Bodyguards; updated the main page.

Edit again: Changed Welding to be ENDURANCE + (.5*AGILITY). That way no companies have a completely screwed work force.

Also, everyone vote on your favorite two corporations... It seems like Helix & Fissure is a go, but I still need to know another corporation to start out so there could be some PvP. If enough players join, then all four corporations could be used.

Last edited:

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Yutani, though I think that I'm probably in the minority.

Also, I'm guessing basic humans get no stat penalties or bonuses except those they get from their corporation? Or are there no basic humans?

Edit: Missed it in the header of the race part of your post, woops. Question answered.

Last edited:

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

Yutani or Sulander. We like to play god.

OP
SilentSilth

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Yutani, though I think that I'm probably in the minority.

Also, I'm guessing basic humans get no stat penalties or bonuses except those they get from their corporation? Or are there no basic humans?
That's correct. Humans receive no bonuses or maluses, except for the ones received from their corporations.

And I hope Yutani isn't in the minority. Who else will protect us from the Predators and Xenomorphs!?