What's new

Good free antivirus program

Reputation score
So yeah, I was looking for May yesterday, and all of a sudden windows privacy center pops up and tells me how virus'd up my computer is, which is pretty fail, considering they want like, 100 bucks to renew the liscenses on all that crap that let the viruses in. (Plus an extra twenty bucks for pandering their crap to me.) I've already got PC Tools antivirus, and apparantly, it doesn't work all that well...

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Good free antivirus program

If you don't mind paying for virus protection, Norton Antivirus is pretty good.

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Go with AVG. Only problem it EVER gives me is when I'm updating some of my games.

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

AVG is pretty good, from what I know. I use Avast, and it seems to work rather well.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

AVG if you want some 'good' protection for free, Norton if you want 'premium' protection for a cost.

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Norton if you want to make sure people CANT HACK OR NUTIN, CUZ U GOT NORTON!

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Okay, I personally choose to use several free programs in the hope that each will cover the weaknesses of another. The main problem with that is that you can end up getting an anti-virus that is actually a trojan designed to look like an anti-virus. My current anti-virus/malware/spyware loadout, which should definitely not be trojans as I've been using them for awhile:
AVG Free
Super Anti-Spyware
Anti Malware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Also one other that I've uninstalled, Previx CSI, which can find many problems that the others can't seem to, but won't remove them without paying for the full version. I can't guarantee that this one isn't a virus, but if you know you’re having problems then this might find them.

Super Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware will also do both memory and registry scans (which is a good thing).

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, I personally choose to use several free programs in the hope that each will cover the weaknesses of another. The main problem with that is that you can end up getting an anti-virus that is actually a trojan designed to look like an anti-virus. My current anti-virus/malware/spyware loadout, which should definitely not be trojans as I've been using them for awhile:
AVG Free
Super Anti-Spyware
Anti Malware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Also one other that I've uninstalled, Previx CSI, which can find many problems that the others can't seem to, but won't remove them without paying for the full version. I can't guarantee that this one isn't a virus, but if you know you’re having problems then this might find them.

Super Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware will also do both memory and registry scans (which is a good thing).
I got Super Anti-Spyware and Malware Anti-Malbytes. I can vouch for both of them but I'm getting problems for some reason. I'll run both and the computer will be completely clean, but I'm having that virus that redirects like every link I click on google or yahoo or anything like that and when I rescan, I'll have like 104 different threats.

I can keep suspending the problem but it won't stop

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

I got Super Anti-Spyware and Malware Anti-Malbytes. I can vouch for both of them but I'm getting problems for some reason. I'll run both and the computer will be completely clean, but I'm having that virus that redirects like every link I click on google or yahoo or anything like that and when I rescan, I'll have like 104 different threats.

I can keep suspending the problem but it won't stop
Go with AVG. Works perfectly.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Go with AVG. Only problem it EVER gives me is when I'm updating some of my games.
What is that, cuz I have a lot of games.

*edit*
Also GAH!!!
The requested URL /downloadcom/s/software/11/02/68/49/avg_free_stf_en_85_329a1515.exe was not found on this server.

Caulder

RP Moderator
Reputation score

It detects the game update as a trojan and stops the download. It's easily bypassed, but it requires you to restart the update.

Treebeard

Lurker
Reputation score

Toxic, I'd throw PAVARK and HiJackThis at that little problem you're having.

I'll even upload them here.

HiJackThis can be confusing, if you're not familiar with the windows registry or if you don't know everything that you're installed, but it can work wonders. I also included Brontok Washer, just in case you have that nasty little bastard too. And Remove Restrictions Tool, in the off chance you have something locking up some things.

View attachment brontok-washer.zip

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

GAH! DOCKTOR! AVG DEED NA-ZING

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

I can only say that you might want to look at Previx CSI if nothing else works, and that I've heard of HiJackThis and even have the installer, but don't know crap about the windows registry or what I've installed, so I haven’t bothered to try it.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

All this just because I wanted to go over some of the old tentaclehaven pages :rolleyes: