What's new

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Hate Thread

They had a tazer pointed at him for a majority of the video. And there was a good amount of time in warnings.

And I forgot the circumstances where a police officer commonly says "Oh, it's ok, he said not to."
They listen to people who cooperate.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

It's sort of hard to be calm and diplomatic when you being wrestled to the ground by several police officers for a stupid reason to begin with.

Nonetheless, it's still no reason to pull a tazer on the guy. If he was an actual threat, that's another story, but he was completely unarmed and posed no real issue other than causing a ruckus, which should have never happened in the first place (HE WAS ASKING A DAMN QUESTION). If that justifies being tasered, then I just don't know anymore.

It's fine for the police to do their jobs, but this comes off to me as complete police brutality and unnecessary violence.

And for the record, he did say "if you let me go, I'll leave" (at about 1:21, I believe), which shows that A) he was willing to leave, resolving the situation or B) he wanted out of trouble. Even if he just wanted out of trouble, can you blame him? If you're on the ground, pinned down by several police officers, you'll probably say or do anything to get yourself out of the situation.

Finally, Kerry himself said "Let me answer his question."
Who can argue with that? John Kerry himself wanted the cops off the guy so he could discuss everything with him, so if you want to be technical about it, they were going against a higher authority's orders.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I understand the point of Kerry, that's the one thing that disturbs me about the video. But they were issuing him out of the building to begin with, so they really have nothing to gain from believing what he's saying since it would achieve the same end. The tazer is specifically justified as a means of obedience. He was disobeying. Now, throwing out morals and ideals and just concerning the lay of the law as it currently is, it's perfectly justified. The matter of removing him as he was starting a ruckus was perfectly justified. To continue doing so after Kerry said he would answer him is not. But I guess that would explain why they are the college security, not college students. They are mainly concerned with keeping peace and if they believed that the argument would cause problems, which was evident to the student himself considering his constant escalation of the volume of his voice, if they felt that it was unnecessary and avoidable if they issued him away from Kerry and any further questioning (as he was probably there to visit and present points, probably not to take incoming questions to debate) then they had every right to remove him. Like you said, that was until Kerry said he'd answer it. However, every other part proceeded pretty much how we currently do things.

If you want to argue the moral problems with the law as it is, I will completely agree with you, being quite an idealist myself. I mean, I don't agree with what they did. I can understand why they were able and within right to do it, but I think it was overboard too.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Actions justified or not, seeing anyone being wrestled and tasered like that, and no one helping them, makes me feel almost physically ill. Some people can remain subjective and calm about anything. Guess I'm not one of those people, seeing as how I often let me feelings get in the way of my beliefs.
(and yes, I do have feelings, and so does Mo. we just hate showing it.)

I'm perfectly fine with law and order, but seeing things like this make me feel powerless and make me question a lot of the things I usually believe in. If I was there, I'd try helping the guy, that's for sure. But in retrospect, a lot of the things I would do would be more hurtful to the situation that helpful. Mainly the things involving weapons. >_>

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The problem is the solution really. Our system is checks and balances. Chances of singular corruption rise with small events but it's pretty much impossible to run into an entire corrupt system. I mean, yeah, there's small levels in every portion of the branch and seeing them every day makes you feel like you might get into trouble for nothing but it never goes that far. Personality-wise, I was the kid who absolutely loved getting in trouble for doing nothing. I would purposefully put myself into situations that made it seem like I was doing something wrong or illegal and have fun arguing with the guy til I was blue in the face, and I could do so with utmost confidence cuz I knew nothing could ever go wrong. It terms of policing and dealing with it as an adult however, I've always been able to keep calm with the knowledge of a checks and balances system. You have to be able to stay calm, level-headed, and diplomatic, because if the officer ever takes it to the next level DESPITE your cooperative actions, he's the one who gets the stick. However, THE SECOND you resist it physically, especially in your case of fighting off a security guard in a matter you weren't involved in, they will throw the proverbial book at you.

Of course this is left up to individual variances, sometimes cops feel they're justified for pushing too hard, which are the ones you can catch with diplomacy through the system, but then there are some that know they're being assholes for the sake of being an asshole and will never push it if you don't escalate yourself so they can take you down. Without you losing your temper, they just dance around what's ok and what isn't. Those you can only really outwit cuz you can't get them physically.

Ex: The cops in my area have absolutely nothing to do. There are no violent crimes, and in the case of misdemeanors with teenagers, they're usually really cool. However, and it's sad and I feel bad about it, they must get paid some way and they have to issue out regulation amounts of punishment, so they go completely insane on traffic laws. I've tried to be calm and diplomatic with them, but dealing with police in cars is one of the most subjective areas of justification for any action they take and the police around here, despite no real danger, liken themselves to heroes. All my actions ever did is leave me with a slight fear of authority. I've gotten pulled over 3 times, resulting in 2 tickets despite my calm demeanor. However, my father got out of a ticket by asking the cop "Oh yeah, you're a real hero. By the way, where were you on 9/11? Why didn't you go run into the building and die?" He was so taken aback by it, he lost all effort towards his normal being-an-asshole routine.

So in the end, importance is knowing where you stand at all times and keeping a level-head. I take a lot of crim courses, and it's not cuz I'm interested in the psychological theories on criminal mindsets or hope in a criminal justice future. It's so I know what I can do and not get in trouble for it. It used to be rumored around me that a cop can do absolutely nothing to you if you flip him off, curse him off, and spit in his direction for no reason, cuz of some free-speech. That was until my friend tried it, then the cop turned and walked in his direction, so he ran away. Then I got to see my friend thrown to the ground and "talked to" (heavily berated) Guy was nice enough to let him off though.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I hate Symantec.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I hate viruses.

If it helps at all, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware makes me cum.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I hate the pathetic official statement regarding pifts.exe

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I hate word limits in compositions. 250 words just isn't enough to do it properly.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

That's weird, I only ever got minimum limits.

Lucas

Lurker
Reputation score

I hate Twitter and it's concept.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

It is concept?

(wow I'm nitpicky today)

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

It is concept?

(wow I'm nitpicky today)
He hates twitter, and the concept behind it.

In other words, "Oh shit, not another facebook/myspace/whatever"

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

He hates twitter, and the concept behind it.

In other words, "Oh shit, not another facebook/myspace/whatever"
Aika was being a grammar nazi.

It's = it is.
Its = possessive, like "the bird was flying toward its nest"

/grammar lesson

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

Aika was being a grammar nazi.

It's = it is.
Its = possessive, like "the bird was flying toward its nest"

/grammar lesson
Then this is for Aika:

"Trolling is a art"

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I hate shitty boots that leave blister scars on my heels.

Lurker
Reputation score

I hate shitty boots that leave blister scars on my heels.
Damn, shitty boots suck. I was at a JROTC camp once, someone stole the insoles from my boots. I thought they were just shitty, and ended up 'borrowing' a new pair.

OP
Obeliskos

Obeliskos

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I hate people who sign their username at the end of their posts. I mean, what's the point? Your username is RIGHT above your post (or next to, depending on the forum design). I don't really mind when people sign their usernames on long-winded posts or really important posts, but for God's sake, how and why do people hit enter two or more times, depending on their level of faggotry, then type their username? It's.. it's just pointless and a total waste of time, not to mention it makes you look like an utter douchebag. Think of all the things you could have done in the time it took you to hit enter two or more times and retype your name, and how less of a douchebag you could have come off as.

What irritates me even more is people who put stupid-ass ~s all over their "signature". Imagine if I did that shit!

~Obeliskos

Would this make me look any smarter? Any cooler? Any less of a troll? No, if anything, it makes you look like a fucking jackoff with a huge ego, signing your damn name all over everything you say.

People can post how they want to post, but I think it's fucking retarded.

Pale

Reputation score

I can't stand emofags who have a breakdown every other week.. I also can't stand the bleeding-heart gullibles who believe them, and give them the attention they require.. every other week.

Oh, and I can't stand the religious people. Well, that's not quite accurate. I can't stand religious people who are pushy about their religion. Jehovah's Witnesses, etc etc.

The last hate for today, has to be people who sit there and talk about a martial art like kendo, bushido, iaido (they always seem to be Japanese, and weapon-based) they would like to master as if they have already mastered it, when in fact, their experience extends to "I saw it in an anime and practiced with a stick"...

Oh, and I hate it when people think they're good at things, and actually aren't. ESPECIALLY, when I'm -actually- good at the same thing, but I'm being all false humble "Oh, no, I'm rubbish" thing, because it's POLITE.

And, Obeliskos will probably hate the end of this post.

P

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

I HATE technical difficulties! Tell me there's a God after I spent fourteen weeks preparing a video only for the sound on my laptop to go haywire. After I finally fixed the sound, the audio is working fine now, but now the damn video itself isn't showing. Then after fixing THAT, the damn audio stops again! And then when I try to move the file into my desktop computer, it's fucking CORRUPTED?!

That's fourteen weeks of nonstop working and research down the fucking drain, and now I've got about twenty four hours left to come up with something!