What's new

Immortality

Immortality

• Total voters

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score
On a whim I've decided to bring up the question: if you had the chance to become immortal (Not through vampirism or the like: you just would never die of old age), but only you would be immortal and no one else, would you do it?

DarkFire1004

Tentacle Goddess of the H-Section
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score
Re: Immortality

Would I still become a wrinkly prune?

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

Most likely not, no. Even immortality would become boring, I would think. And it would just be odd to live past the heat death of the universe and such.

I would like to live for more than one century, say three or four. By that point, though, I imagine society would have changed enough that I wouldn't want to be around anymore.

SilentSilth

Lurker
Former Moderator
Reputation score

Depends on the type of immortal. Like Darkfire said... would I become a wrinkly old prune?

Or, would I, for instance, be shot in the head, fall down and seem dead, until the wound healed and I got back up?

Or Highlander immortal?

Cause that last one just blows.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Only if my mind doesn't degrade and I'm also immune to all diseases and infections, including those caused by the body itself such as cancer and autoimmune diseases.

I actually wouldn't mind vampirism, depending on which kind of vampirism of course. The new age pansy vampires like from Twilight, or the glorified talking zombies like those from 30 Days of Night don't appeal to me, but the World of Darkness or classic vampires are quite appealing.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Well, he said you wouldn't die of old age, so I'm assuming that you stop aging, and everything that can normally kill you still does.

Under those assumptions, I would do it. I always tell my friends that I plan on living forever anyways :)

OP
Pheonix Alugere

Pheonix Alugere

Former Moderator
Reputation score

I was thinking mostly along the lines of 'doesn't age'

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

As long as I didn't age physically - but was still able to 'get in shape' and not be stuck at the same weight forever as well as age - I think I'd take it; if I wouldn't age mentally, though, I think I wouldn't do it - I mean, I wouldn't want to forget stuff I learned just the other day, therefore making the whole 'won't die of old age type of immortality' thing kinda useless; the whole reason for me not wanting to die of old age is because I want to be able to learn and grow until I reach that point where it's not that there's nothing new to learn, I just don't need to, and I can live on as some wise sage or something in the Himalayas :p.

Last edited:

Goldstein

Lurker
Reputation score

As long as I didn't age physically - but was still able to 'get in shape' and not be stuck at the same weight forever as well as age - I think I'd take it; if I wouldn't age mentally, though, I think I wouldn't do it - I'd rather like to be able to mature.
You wouldn't want to age mentally though, at least, not beyond a certain point.

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Yeah, gotta kinda watch that with immortality. It's great and all, so long as you have the "eternal youth" to go with it (or just not aging any more, like Phee said.) cuz otherwise, you're screwed.

I think I kind of agree with Goldstein. Maybe not immortality, persay, but longevity, like a dragon. Live long enough to see things change but not so long as to be the last thing on earth.

Course, the losing the friends and family bit would bite (well, losing most of it, in my case.) but you also have to consider that you'd make new friends and family can be whom you make it, too.

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

Well in my theory of the future, I'm pretty sure french toast will be extinct. I'd rather die than watch french toast go.

On a more serious note, french toas- (Serious, Darkfire, think SERIOUS). On a more serious note, immortality would be fine by me. Sure it goes against my morals that things need to die. Sure if people found out, I'd just become a target for research and employment. But think of the infinite time you have to amass all the knowledge you want. You could finally learn that language you want. Take your time. You're not going anywhere. Then when I've finally got all that knowledge, I'll either have become drunk off power or I'll have become enlightened. Either way, the world's mine.

Bob

Lurker
Reputation score

that would all depend on the way the immortality is gained and where, and how, and with who it is spent

DarkFire1004

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reputation score

!!!

You devious bastard!

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score

I'd take it, if you can still die to injuries(Like those from a gun), then you can just live as long as you want, and stop it when you're done with it.

Besides that, immortality without being able to die would really suck in the end, after all life ceased to exist you would still be there, immortal and bored, more like a punishment then anything else.