What's new

In today's news...

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
I don't know why people seem to be under the impression that whackjobs aren't going to find a way to kill them whether they legally own firearms or not.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
I don't know why people seem to be under the impression that whackjobs aren't going to find a way to kill them whether they legally own firearms or not.
This.

Also, there are two major issues with gun violence statistics which people who speak from an emotional platitude and a lack of want to be properly informed will gladly disregard. First and foremost, about 60% of gun violence comes from persons committing suicide.

Given that overwhelming evidence, it's a clear indicator that people who go into hysterics about "muh gun control" are horribly misinformed. Even putting aside suicide rates making up a majority of the gun-related deaths in the US alone, we need to consider another matter.

Specifically, this:

Screenshot_6.png

Huh. Weird, that a country that has seen a surge in immigration and a ban on anything that can be used as a weapon has also coincidentally seen a rise in crime so significant. I mean, I'm eager to see what the year-end statistics are for the UK before I draw any concrete conclusions, but...

Now, let's take a peak at them mental health statistics:

44.7 million is roughly 6.7% of the population. That number, by the way, is only increasing every year. Even if you put that aside, the currently destabilization of society via increased racial tensions, nationalist vs anti-nationalist sentiments, and a wide variety of other issues, then you start losing sight of why guns are so bad. Hell, that stuff I just mentioned actually further justifies the necessity of an armed populace, if only to defend themselves, their family, and their property. I'm not saying a revolution is a good thing or necessary; but, I would rather have a gun in-hand than try to be tolerant if it comes to that.

Basically, the "gun control" issue is hardly about guns and more about social issues which are only worsened when misinformed "feel good" elitists try to preach on why they're right and you're wrong. You don't fix things by having an emotional breakdown every time something bad happens or someone is an asshole (which is an extension of "bad things happening" blah blah semantics). You start by acknowledging things are shit, the only way to fix some issues is by approaching them from the position of trying to keep things stable, and then look for a way to improve them.

Last edited:

Turrican

Reputation score
The second amendment?
They have the right to posses weapons and it's a more complex issue than 'just take them away'
If they'd take away the weapons because of a shooting, then they'd have to take away cars, trucks, rice cookers, knives, any kind of acids, and a whole lot more items

And then they'd be London, a place where everything is banned, government doesn't care about the people, and crime is only going up, because as it turns out banning things doesn't actually get rid of them, it just means criminals get all of them and nobody can resist them
Go to my country, if you kill someone in self-defense they arrest you. And do not say it's impossible.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Go to my country, if you kill someone in self-defense they arrest you. And do not say it's impossible.

Your country sounds incredibly oppressive, incompetently governed, and utterly irrelevant to even Canada. I won't argue that it's impossible, but that your country should consider revolution and possibly, I dunno, modernizing.

Turrican

Reputation score
Your country sounds incredibly oppressive, incompetently governed, and utterly irrelevant to even Canada. I won't argue that it's impossible, but that your country should consider revolution and possibly, I dunno, modernizing.
You say impossible?
I'm from the "Bel Paese" I said it all.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Pretty sure you don't understand this conversation.

Turrican

Reputation score
Pretty sure you don't understand this conversation.
So, I'll explain it well (as much as possible since my English is basic).

I have criticized the US for the fact there is always a fool that thanks to the laws that you can get weapons easily, and what happens in Florida.
And I made the comparison with my country, who wants to own weapons is very difficult (if you're not military, policeman, etc ...), more if a trader or a passer-by kills the aggressor for a fair defense, they arrest him .
In short there are two choices: they arrest you or you die.

To the dear friend that I gave this info does not believe that in my country they arrest you for a legitimate defense, and I told him where I come from, so he could understand that all the inguice happens and you can not do anything.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
And it's confirmed.

I'm not trying to chide or insult you. You've clearly misunderstood Bob.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
So what you're saying is that if you're attacked in your country, you need to bend over and spread your buttcheeks for whoever is attacking you, or you're the one getting arrested

It's not difficult to get a weapon. It takes one guy with a toolbox maybe a day or two to make a bunch of guns out of pipes
Ammo isn't that difficult to make either, to the point where China had (Still do? Not sure) a whole lot of trouble with home-made guns in their more remote regions
It's easy to the point that there are Americans(Including one I know) who learned how to make guns just so they could make a profit off 'gun buy-back' programs, that pay money for every gun you turn in

But in the end, none of it will matter if you have a population that isn't violent. The US' rural areas have roughly 10 times the guns of european(French and German) rural areas, and a crime rate that is not statistically significantly different
Guns are just tools. People use tools. Don't blame the tool for what it's used for, blame the person that used it instead. And maybe society if it turns out they were denied psychiatric care

Turrican

Reputation score
Another news.
Apparently my country is pissing off the European Union, despite being right.

Ninja_Named_Bob

Mystic Girl
Reputation score
Another news.
Apparently my country is pissing off the European Union, despite being right.
Maybe you ought to post an article to substantiate your statements? At this point, I'm convinced you're a bot programmed to shitpost in bad English.

Also, amidst all this talk of guns...

I mean, the AK-47 is/was one of the most reliable semi-automatic rifles, so I'm skeptical at best. It's a tall order, going from guns to cars.

Switching gears to politics, Not sure what this means for Canada, given our government is being run by a bunch of crooks and a man-child.

Turrican

Reputation score
Sorry I forgot the links, here.

I put this also but it is in Italian, you can translate with Google. Here it is.

Araragi Kun

Lurker
Reputation score
A shooting just occurred during a twitch stream of a Madden NFL 19 tournament in Florida. Multiple people are confirmed dead

It's a shame that every time this is brought up it's immediately turned into a pro vs anti gun discussion. I understand that it's obviously a pretty relevant aspect of the event but at the same time it always turns into a tug of war in the comments that goes nowhere. Anyone who truly feels that strongly one way or the other should spend less time arguing about it on internet forums and more time out in the world doing everything they can to make those changes happen. It's one of those things in life where it's not enough to just be right about it, you need to make it so.

Anyway, on the fact that this happened at a gaming tournament, I've seen many people say that gaming was their main/only anchor when dealing with hard times and/or mental illnesses such as Anxiety (which I suffer from, and relate heavily), and that this has deterred them from going out to gaming-related events (or going out in general).
It's such a shame that someone can make so many people feel this way, but if you are one of those people, I insist that you can't let them. The harsh truth is, you can sit inside secluded and afraid, but the crime rate will never reach zero. There will always be bad things happening. And you could spend your entire life sitting inside in fear only for a freak occurrence like a gas leak or a violent home invader and you could end up six feet under anyway.

So don't give in to the fear. Don't let it destroy your passion for the things you love, even if it's "just video games". Do anything you can to overcome it in your own way, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do whatever it is you are trying because "someone will stop you" or "it won't work". Personally, I'm going to find some way to use my gaming habits/interests to raise some money towards .

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Supposedly Madden is one of the most toxic competitive scenes for whatever that's worth

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Imagine that, a shitty game attracts shitty people...

Lv1VillagerA

Lurker
Reputation score
Truths about guns:
-Shootings are due to guns and can be prevented with gun control/ban.
-Killing with a gun is so easy even kids can accidentally do it, let alone brain dead jackasses.
-Disarming a country filled with guns and whose culture is built around gun is impossible.
-Not having a gun when everyone else can have a gun, if not sentencing you to death, will sentence you to fear.

There's no tug of war really, just one side that's conveniently blind to the truth and another who doesn't understand he can not win the fight.

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Honestly, if you're trolling I won't waste my time. If not I can educate you.

AceofWind

Tentacle God
Reputation score
Imagine that, a shitty game attracts shitty people...
I honestly wouldn't place all the blame on the game itself for an incident like this occurring, rather the unhealthy attachments some people have over them. Video games imo are meant to suppress violent urges like this in people yet there are some who are so mentally unstable that they'd simply snap when something happens to impede their road to victory. There are incidents of teens murdering someone over video games and just last week, the youtuber McSkillet committed a murder-suicide by driving backwards on the highway, killing a mother and her daughter in the process and apparently this was all because his CS:GO accounts got banned. Sadly, it seems like we still haven't progressed enough in the medical field where it's possible to foresee this in people and preventing it from happening.

XSI

Lurker
Reputation score
Definitely sounds like trolling up there, or maybe just someone who didn't do the research. Guns do make it easier to kill, but they do not turn a normal person into a violent killer. It's not a cursed demon sword that whispers into your ear that you must feed it blood and souls. If you pick up a gun and start hearing voices commanding you to kill, put the gun back down and ask a doctor for further instructions
At the same time, having fear if you don't have a gun but everyone else does is silly, what you should be looking at is the people involved, their histories, the area's violent crime rates, and so on. Peaceful people own guns too, and there is no statistically significant link between gun ownership in an area and random shootings in an area
To be afraid in that situation is like being afraid of flying on an airliner- Yeah. It can go terribly wrong. But that doesn't actually happen that often and you technically have a better chance of not having any incidents than using a car for the same journey. It is one of those common fears to not have the control that a car's wheel in your hands gives you, while you have to trust your life to someone else. It can be scary, but if you look into it you will find that it is not something you should be scared of in most circumstances

And of course from what I've seen it's the usual. The shooter was on pills but did not receive any further treatment and/or help to deal with their problems. And then shit went wrong and they took out everyone near them
It's almost always either that or gang/drug related when it's a shooting in the US, and has been for years, and it seems this time it's the same

Cyriel

Lurker
Reputation score
Peaceful people own guns too, and there is no statistically significant link between gun ownership in an area and random shootings in an area

This article is old, but was revamped february this year to show a direct correlation between gun availability and gun homicides. This is by no means contained to the US only, but there's a very clear and direct correlation that says "more guns = more murders"

Here's some bullet points for all you TLDR folks. Keep in mind this is comprised of data gathered by the guardian back in 2012 and by no means is a 100% accurate depiction of current day statistics, but it shows a clear enough picture.

- The United States has nearly twice as many guns per 100 people as the next closest country, Yemen — 88.8 guns per 100 as opposed to 54.8 in Yemen
- The United States has more than 12 times as many guns per person as Honduras, but the 2012 US gun homicide rate per 100,000 people (2.97) was 1/22 of Honduras's (68.43)
- "More guns are associated with more homicides across industrialized countries,"
- Another study, by , found that the US has crime rates comparable to those in similarly developed countries, but much higher rates of lethal violence — owing in significant part to our high rates of gun ownership.
- A recent, study found that once you control for general crime rates and other confounding factors like poverty, "each 1 percentage point increase in proportion of household gun ownership" translated to a 0.9 percent increase in homicides. A meta-analysis — study of studies — found a among researchers that access to guns correlated with higher homicide rates in the United States.

Reactions: XSI