What's new

In today's news...

Incubus

Horn Dog
Reputation score
Re: In today's news...

Eh. I also kinda dislike the whole "everyone with everyone" but for a very different reason.

Firstly, as pointed out by one of the devs, it's just plain easier to make someone romancable by both genders than to write a new one. Ergo, it's a bit of a cop out on their part, but this isn't my major gripe.

My major gripe is the whole "everyone is bisexual" thing. I didn't like it in the sims, and I don't like it here, because no, not everyone is bisexual. Nor should they be. I'm actually hoping an RPG puts in a homosexual romance only option sometime soon just to make a stand, support that notion etc. And if whoever does it does so well, and makes the pairing a good and fairly serious one, rather than something that's largely silly, I think it'd have a good effect on people.

When I started to see flirty dialogue options appear against Fenrir, I was more than a little surprised. I mean, Hawke may be (at least in my hands) the master of inappropriate comments, but even so, wow, now is not a time to compliment him on his body, while he's talking about the horrible things inflicted upon him. (Although lets face, if you want to seduce Fenrir, I guess you have to butt into some whining to get anywhere).

But I'm getting a little off my original point. I don't like the concept of a game where all romance options are bisexual. It just comes across as... fake? oversexed? Trying to appease the fandom? Beat the modders to the punch?

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Sure, there are a substantial amount of women who play video games, but they’re usually gamers who play games like The Sims
Wait, why are you asking about our female fans? We're not Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue, we're fucking Dragon Age 2 bitch. Sit down

I guess a more accurate thing would be having PC's thought up as having their own sexuality, so you can't just suddenly pick these people up willy nilly. It's like the game is just an act of conversion where you can just walk up to people and say "Yo you gay yet? Don't worry, you will be."

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

"Its ridiculous that I even have to use a term like Straight Male Gamer, when in the past I would only have to say fans,"

Wow... I hate this guy with a burning passion. There's just something about this line (and the one where female gamers really only play the Sims) that just grates against me. He doesn't give a shit about anyone else except himself. Greedy little close minded fucker.

Last edited:

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I think, or at least hope, that he means that there are suddenly new demographic problems and he has to address people individually when it used to just be about mass marketing or something to that tune. If not, and he really did mean that the white straight male gamer is their demographic and that's just how they address fans, then he is a corporate fag.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

"Its ridiculous that I even have to use a term like Straight Male Gamer, when in the past I would only have to say fans,"

Wow... I hate this guy with a burning passion. There's just something about this line (and the one where female gamers really only play the Sims) that just grates against me. He doesn't give a shit about anyone else except himself. Greedy little close minded fucker.
Uh, didn't he specifically say that there are also women who play DA2? And how is he "greedy" exactly?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

no read it again, girls who play dragon age are a minority, they mostly play the sims.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Uh, didn't he specifically say that there are also women who play DA2? And how is he "greedy" exactly?
He's basically saying that women, and homosexuals, and bisexuals, are the minority in gaming and their desires shouldn't be catered to because the straight male is the main demographic and their needs should be seen above everyone else.

TheWeirdOne

KICK ME
Reputation score

He's basically saying that women, and homosexuals, and bisexuals, are the minority in gaming and their desires shouldn't be catered to because the straight male is the main demographic and their needs should be seen above everyone else.
Heeeeyyyy let's apply this argument to other parts of life and see what happens!

Also, to appease to all audiences = more money. This guy really needs to learn the business model.....

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

The reason I'm assuming that's not what he meant is because that point is almost completely contrary to the sum of the article. So either we're all misreading it, or he's trying to defend the minority with very backhanded comments.

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

Either I read the article completely wrong, or he's saying that DA2 caters exclusively to the above demographics.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Either I read the article completely wrong, or he's saying that DA2 caters exclusively to the above demographics.
He is saying that is does cater exclusively to the above demographics (it doesn't) and that it should cater exclusively to "straight males".

That's what I read in it. Regardless of his intentions, it's his choice of words and tone that really grates against me.

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

Ok yes, I have found I did misread the article. Right under the picture, it says "To quote the complainant" which I admittedly missed when I started this shitstorm. I had thought that was just the first part of his defense before he started developing on it later. Turns out the person we hate is the one who complained, and the bioware guy was the one responding below.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

Indeed. The asshole is the guy Bioware burned, not Bioware (which admittedly it's a start compared to what Bioware's been in this thread before for.)

obama549

Reputation score

Ya, piss off the Germans! That's always worked out well in the past.
Zis is an outrage! Jawohl! Ze damn British zink zey can mess with us! Hah! Ze driver will feel ze full rigidity of our laws! UP HIS TEA-SIPPING ASS!

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

Zis is an outrage! Jawohl! Ze damn British zink zey can mess with us! Hah! Ze driver will feel ze full rigidity of our laws! UP HIS TEA-SIPPING ASS!
You replied to a post that's almost two years old? Seriously?

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

you didn't notice? its a douchebag

ToxicShock

(And Reputation Manager)
Staff member
Administrator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

:D

SirOni

Demon Girls #1 Fan
Reputation score

you didn't notice? its a douchebag
Shhhh, stop pointing out my desire to rage at anyone without making sure the facts are 100% right first.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

So this is the original post by that guy who was accusing DA2 of not catering to the straight male gamer. He also had a bit of a response to Gaider's response, a part of which was openly admitting he finds homosexuals disgusting.

He once again goes on to say that games should cater specifically to "straight male gamers" alone because that is supposedly the largest demographic of gamers (despite the fact that around 40% of gamers are female while he claims 80% are straight and male.)

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

lets just refer to his market as the "homophobic male" demographic, which is far more accurate.