What's new

Interest Check for a Star Wars game.

Armacalic

Sex Demon
Reputation score
Re: Interest Check for a Star Wars game.

I'm all in for the original T

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

My vote goes for Cold War Era.

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Just as a heads-up, I'm only going to wait on letting the GM know until about 8-9 AM EST tomorrow morning. If you haven't weighed in by then, we'll just assume a vote of "whatever".

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

You all booked out yet ShadWolf? If not Id like to apply for a Mandolorian/Solider, and puty vote in for Cold War or OT.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

:|

I have no idea about anything re: what era to play in and what the differences would be besides yon current events, also.

Should I be looking up books or something.

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

That download i mentioned worked out, i got over 2GB worth between the two systems now. Once it's final which one we're using (Wolf's friend is mechanically inclined), then I'll split it and upload either the choice books, or the entire system, and pass out a link.

TentanariX

Lurker
Reputation score

I have all of 4e on pdf. I think I might or i at least used to have a physical copy of the older book.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I vote for Cold War Era.

Simply because we're not tied down by the metaplot and history as much.

I have all the necessary 4E stuff if we play that, otherwise, I'll have to download and familiarize myself with Star Wars 3.5E. Which I suppose I'd be willing to do if the group wants that.

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score

History and canon plotlines and such really aren't an issue. Most RPs are alternate-universe by definition, anyway. If something is changed, it's changed. I'm not going to bitch or try to force people back onto the "correct" path, or anything like that.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

And would you be our aspirant GM?

Even if you were to have Luke Skywalker get stabbed to death by mooks at the Hachi Station in the opening scene, I would still prefer the KOTOR era.

It's a more civilized age. ;)

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

Aye. Everyone, meet Hardware. Wolf had me meet him on ToR a couple days ago, heh.

The later time periods are less open, in my opinion. so much is gone in terms of options. Part of the allure in some cases, but yeah, i prefer the Cold War Era or earlier.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

So what's your preference for system, Hardware?

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Okay, so it's looking like Era votes are going much like this:

KOTOR era: 3
1-3 era: 0
4-6 era: 1

Either KOTOR or 4-6: 1

At this point, it's looking like Cold War era.

As for your question about system, Slime... He's said he'll make a call on that after a bit. Needs to get awake first.

[Sc8]Hardware

Official Curmudgeon
Reputation score

I've got to do a bit more checking yet on rulesets. It appears that in order to do Star Wars in any of my GM programs, I'll have to program it all in myself. I need to figure out what my options are on that.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

GM programs? :confused:

Isn't that your brain?

OP
Shrike7

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

if your GM programs allow for DnD 3.5, then the older SW system is likely the easier one, could just convert DnD and 'save as'. Otherwise, Saga seems to have a simpler overall system, so it would likely be the easier one for putting it all in from scratch.

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Posting for Hardware, due to him currently having minor technical issues with his computer.

He has said that we're going to go ahead and use 3.5 rules, although players can choose to do a Saga character initially, and he'll figure out the conversion.

QUICK EDIT: Characters will start out at Level 1. Stat-gen can be random rolls, or the standard package. And as for dice-gen stats (4d6, drop lowest), one of Hardware's rulings is that players can freely re-roll anything under 10, unless the lower score fits their character concept.

Here's a resource for dice-rolls that allows checking:

EDIT the 2nd: Here's Hardware's dropbox with the books he's using for this... Since he's not established enough for link-postage. Obviously, some of them not so much of being used, but they're there.

Last edited:

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I backspaced to check something and then returned to the page via ctrl+right key. A couple checks is telling me invisible castle didn't change anything doing that, so, neat. Apparently the dice were kind to me today. <_>

I haven't shuffled them around yet due to not knowing who's playing what, and because I haven't peeked at the books yet, but I am probably going to.

Any word on what sort of campaign he's got planned, or how your GM usually prefers to roll? Beatin' up Sith and savan the galaxy, smugglan spess adventures, sandboxery, politickan, hive of scum and villainyan, combat heavy or combat light, anything like that?

I would sorta like to avoid the 'made a diplomancer, never saw anything to talk at' sort of situation.

Last edited:

ShadowWolfSBI

Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score

As for planned campaign...

It's a bit hard to describe his style, but it basically boils down to "Come up with a general idea of where things could end up, get players in, watch results".

As for what kinds of encounters (talky, shooty, etc.) that tends to end up more based off of how the characters are played. If the preferred response is go in shooting, then there'll probably be a higher amount of combat, for example.

EDIT: We're going to have a sort of "GM's Briefing" thread once the section's up. Hardware will detail some of this kind of stuff there himself, by the way. Just have to wait on an Admin to hop on and set things up.

Last edited:

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Blue's Initial Attribute scores:

Rerolling the Dex, Con and Int in order:

With GM's permission, given that I had the concept of mercenary bodyguard in my mind before hand, I'd like to keep the original roll of 8 for Dex and switch it with my Int of 13, giving a final statline of:

Str 17, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 11

I would be playing an intuitive, but uneducated ex soldier, possibly kicked out of the Republic forces for reasons possibly not his fault (I'm thinking frame up'd patsy for his traitorous squad's criminal activities.)

Rather than face court marshal and a long stint in a prison, he attempts to go off the grid and disappear into the criminal underground. He wants to sign up with a captain or crew that could use an ex grunt like himself for some extra muscle.