What's new

Interest Check for CVS 2.0 or XCOM RP

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score
So first off, I need to say that neither of these two ideas are anywhere near completion. This thread is, right now, just so that I can get an idea of what people would be more interested in playing so that I can work more on that concept. An actual game would be some ways off. That out of the way, on to the two concepts.

CVS 2.0 (Cops Villains Slavers)

This is my version of Cops vs. Slavers, done by Skullman a while ago. It's basically a clean build with the original being the inspiration.
For this game, there's three factions: Cops, the good guys/gals who work hard to keep the peace and keep themselves from getting put into unfortunate situations; Villains, bad guys/gals who are interested primarily in money and infamy. They aren't above capturing civilians or cops to sell, but that isn't their main focus. That's the focus of the; Slavers. A high-tech cult-like faction focused on capturing and enslaving basically anyone who isn't a part of their group.

The idea is that this game would have players being on different factions. So some people can play Cops, other people can play Villains and still others could play Slavers, and would thus be something of a faction-based PvP game. There'd also be NPCs for each faction, including both high-level leader-like characters as well as low-level characters on par with or below the player characters. There'll also be civilian NPCs that can get caught in crossfires between the three factions.

The world setting would be a near-/high-future Science Fiction world. The cops would be using the latest high-tech gear available to them, including magnetically accelerated firearms and nanotech building. The Villains would be using lower-tech gear, such as those primitive chemically propelled firearms as well as drugs and similar contemporary tools. The Slavers use high-tech gear obtained through a mysterious backer. These include directed energy weapons, psionic devices, and mind-control devices, as well as whatever else I haven't thought of yet.

The missions could be player-driven, by which I mean players could choose to, say, mount an attack on another faction, or work to take control of territory. They can also be GM driven, with orders being sent down from above to do a certain mission.

There'd be a map of the city, which acts like an arena of sorts, with different territories that would give different bonuses to whichever faction controls them. There's also currencies, one unique to each faction, which the characters use to buy gear, equipment and other items. Each faction's unique currency operates differently. Cops have Requisition, Villains have Cash, and Slavers have Resources. They're gained and spent (for the most part) differently.

XCOM: UFO Defense

First, if you haven't played any XCOM game yet, stop reading immediately and go play one, I don't care if it's one of the classic games or the newer ones, just do it. The games are pure awesome. Of course, you might be playing for a while, so I'll continue.

So this one is much less developed than CVS, being mostly still in the conceptual stages. I can see it being built in one of two ways, either based on the classic games, with more nitty-gritty rules for things like time units and weight encumbrance, or based on the newer games with more streamlined and simplified rules. Honestly, I'm leaning to the later, simply for, well, simplicity's sake.

The game wouldn't be primarily an ero-RP, being focused more on being XCOM soldiers and defending the Earth from alien invaders, but there'd be some sex stuff. And what soldiers do while waiting for the next alert is up to them.

Storywise, it'd be based more on the newer game, with one main base that dispatches its soldiers world-wide, and would include some elements from the Enemy Within expansion (those being Meld and possibly Exalt, as well as Stalkers).

Given the XCOM games' somewhat signature feature of permanent death, the characters would, by default, be mortal, but there'd also be an option to buy a perk that would give them some kind of "plot immunity" that allows them to always survive (not necessarily unscathed) any encounters they may be in. The plot immunity device would be like save-scumming to keep your favorite soldier from getting taken out by that asshole muton that showed up behind the group without warning.

Two main changes to the baddies that I can see are to the Chryssalids (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's played any of the games) and the Stalkers. The cheap-ass fuckers- Chryssalids won't be implanting eggs that zombie you and then kill you when fully grown. Instead they'll be more ero-focused, planting the eggs in a more intimate location. They'll still sorta zombie the unlucky soldier, but will hatch in a more human-like manner. They'll also be a bit more insidious.
Stalkers will also be a bit ero-ified. Instead of strangling, they instead push their tentacles into certain orifices. Might be doing something else while they're in there too, not certain yet.

Any other ero stuff from the aliens would be more straightforward, for the most part. Ethereals doing mind-control, mutons possibly taking some battlefield "trophies" and so on... Alien hybrids are also a possibility, both for encounters and potentially playable characters.

Like I said before, during the time between missions, soldiers would have time to do whatever they want in the base barracks and other facilities. Meld-enhanced soldiers might have some enhancements different from those presented in the games that could be useful in the bedrooms as well...

There'd also be the option to play one of the base personnel, scientists, engineers, interceptor pilots, and so on. Less exciting, perhaps, but they might find themselves in interesting situations different than the ones the soldiers encounter. Also, base personnel could take control of HWP/SHIVs during missions so that they don't sit out entirely on the action.

Base operations I can see being done somewhat democratically. With a poll or something deciding what gets researched, what gets build/bought, what facilities get constructed, and so on.

Alien encounters would be GM initiated, with an alert coming that, for example, an abduction was occurring or an alien ship had been shot down. I'd probably present more than one option at a time and have people decide what one(s) they'd like to do. There'd be the option to get multiple Skyrangers as well, if there's enough people that want to go on multiple missions at the same time.

So those are the two ideas I have, anyone interested in them? One more than the other? Any thoughts or comments or suggestions?

Oh, one more thing, both of these games would be played on the board. I'm still not in a great situation where I can deal with the demands of a real-time game (though, who knows, I might be by the time I get one of these complete...).

Also, a question for those who might have more knowledge about sub-forum management than I do. Is it possible to restrict subforums or threads from being viewed by certain people? Or make them restricted to only certain people? I'm just thinking that for the CVS game, given its PvP nature, I might want to have separate areas for the factions to discuss plans as well as to keep their inventories and character sheets so that the other factions wouldn't be able to see them.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Interest Check for CVS 2.0 or XCOM RP

I think it's generally possible, but the management here frowns upon it, due to possible forbidden content getting hidden, i believe was the reasoning i was given.

THat said, the xcom option sounds pretty sweet.

Hopeyouguess62

Has a penis diamiter of 4.5cm
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I agree with Shrike--bring out the X-COM. :D

Caulder

Is completely fucking irrelevant. And he's a bitch
RP Moderator
Reputation score

Meh. I'd be all for that Xcom idea provided the Ero isn't 24/7.

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I find both ideas interesting.

Clandestine planning could easily be done via chat or PMs, also, so that could keep things hidden.

Zilrax

Master of Kinky Fetishes. Or just Bitch if you pre
Reputation score

I favor the latter more than the former but both seem interesting.

BlueSlime

Tentacle God
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I liked CvS when it happened years ago. And while I have not played through either of the Xcoms, I like the general idea.

IRC could be used for hidden info as well.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

So far, 4 for XCOM, 2 for either.

Yah, the PMs might be a better way of doing that. I wouldn't prefer chat/IRC for planning because that would usually require everyone involved to be there at the same time, which can be pretty hard to achieve.

In both cases, I'd like to do maps of the area. For CVS, they'd just need to have the rooms on them, but for XCOM, given the importance of positioning and cover, they'd need to be a bit more detailed. Also, I'd like to do any XCOM map in an isometric fashion, if only to pay homage to the games, but it isn't necessary. I could probably do basic maps using Maptools, but it can't do isometric maps. Anyone know a good program for making isometric maps? I'm doing some searching around now, but any suggestions would be welcome.

Shrike7

Lurker
Reputation score

didnt know any offhand, so did my own google.

fromt he pics on the main page, this looks more video game-related as a resource, but if that's the case, it may work to just build and screenshot it. definitely handles isometric mapping, at least, and appears to be free:

Aust_Nailo

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I'm all for the x-com option, and if you want I have something that may work. I mentioned this in the shout after you left, but it would basically be an idea for a story. The players control a B-Team of sorts, dealing with smaller scale engagements instead of the much larger world saving stuff. Or fight the abduction missions that the big boys forget. Just tossing that out there.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Ah, I came across that one myself Shrike. You need to make your own tilesets for it (or find and import them), but otherwise, yah, looks like it'll do pretty well.

Story-wise, I'm more leaning towards the players being, for the most part, the main soldiers (if they do indeed make soldiers. I did put the option on the table for non-combat characters if they want to). The reason for this is mainly so that the PCs can be involved in the important missions like assaulting alien bases, engaging terror missions and so on. Doesn't seem quite as engaging to me to be just cleaning up what the main guys don't want to do.

Had some ideas for some new mission types as well. Abductee rescue operations, where the soldiers have to rescue people, possibly including other soldiers, from alien ships or bases. Another one would be a UFO infiltration, where the soldiers have to sneak aboard an alien craft, either when it's landed, or more daringly, during an interception, and bring it under their control.

Was also thinking about the psionic-augmentation exclusivity idea that Caulder raised in the shoutbox. I think I will make it so that if you do end up getting Meld augmentations, you won't be able to develop psionic powers. Also leaning towards psionics being less random than in the games so that people who want to play psi soldiers aren't beholden to the random dice gods. This would also mean that there's another layer of customization for characters. The first being the class/specialization they take, the second being if they want to develop into psi soldiers, genetically enhanced soldiers, MEC troopers or stay as mundane soldiers and focus on their standard combat skills. "The Gift" will be limited to characters with a sufficiently high Will stat when they undergo psionic testing, so players wanting to eventually play psi soldiers can build their characters with an emphasis on Will to ensure they get that option.

As far as rules go, I figure it would be fine to just take the mechanics of Enemy Unknown/Within and adapt them for use with a d100. For example, to hit a target with a weapon, you'd roll a d100 and aim for a number lower than (your aim+any bonuses)-(target's defense+any defensive bonuses). Attack bonuses would be things like high ground, accurate weapons, SCOPEs and skills. Defense bonuses would be things like cover, long ranges, smoke or poor visibility, or evasive bonuses (for things like Chryssalids that can't take cover). Not quite sure how to handle crits yet, but possibly using another die roll. Damage, I'd need to do a bit of research into the weapon damages, as I don't recall them off the top of my head.

For character creation, I'm planning on the characters starting out at Rookie rank, with some basic starting scores, as well as some stat points to put where they want to customize them. Also have an idea for a starting perk or two to further customize them. Things like the aforementioned Plot Immunity, for example. Another one I have in mind is Special Training, where you'd start with your class/specialization already chosen, allowing you to start the game with, say a sniper rifle, though you'd only get the first sniper ability when you are promoted to Squaddie. Ranking up also gives you some fixed boosts to your stat based on your specialization, as well as some free points to put where you want. Also, I'd like to come up with additional abilities to choose upon promotion that might be more suited to this kind of gameplay.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

I've been digging the HELL out of OpenXcom as of late, so ya got me digging out for that. I can think of a few interesting ideas and perhaps toss ya a few mod pages that could equal more ideas/information into the game.

Totally would call forth as a interceptor pilot :3

freeko

Banned
Reputation score

Knowing more about what you have planned for power level, I am interested.

Unknown Squid

Aurani's Wife
Reputation score

I guess I should put my hand up as interested rather than lurking. It's the X-Com one that grabbed my attention, naturally.

As far as rules go, I figure it would be fine to just take the mechanics of Enemy Unknown/Within and adapt them for use with a d100. For example, to hit a target with a weapon, you'd roll a d100 and aim for a number lower than (your aim+any bonuses)-(target's defense+any defensive bonuses). Attack bonuses would be things like high ground, accurate weapons, SCOPEs and skills. Defense bonuses would be things like cover, long ranges, smoke or poor visibility, or evasive bonuses (for things like Chryssalids that can't take cover). Not quite sure how to handle crits yet, but possibly using another die roll. Damage, I'd need to do a bit of research into the weapon damages, as I don't recall them off the top of my head.
I'll just add though, that it would likely be wise to consider that stuff very carefully. Using video game style rules on a forum can very easily result in a single round taking crippling amounts of accumulated posting time. Nunu made that mistake once with a tactical map movement Mech game they ran. Had an awesome rule set, but was hugely impractical for PbP.

Planning and streamlining the posting process for missions wherever possible feels like a priority to me. I'd be happy to compromise on the exact mechanics a bit if required. After all, if I wanted to play some classic tactical xcom, I can go play xcom. It's the general risk and result of the combat, followed by the RP elements that we get to play alongside it that matters most.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Oh wow Lurker, I now wish I had an original copy of XCOM so that I could take that nostalgia trip... Probably going to be using the newer games for inspiration for this, just for simplicity's sake, but yes, any ideas would be welcome.

And good point Squid... I guess for a tabletop game it might be more acceptable to go with that, but for pbp... I'll admit I don't have a great deal of experience in this regard, so if any veteran pbp GMs have some suggestions, I'd be open to those.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

@Xcom Talk - I'm not aware of what all the new XCom has, but I'll probably group together some interesting extra content and send it your way in a private message with links to the mod pages. That way, you can take any information from there as you will

@Running Pbp Games - One thing I found useful is the little tidbit that your players don't have to always see what you use for area reference. I remember on some of my older pbp game attempts I used the Warcraft Map Editor and simply made the walls and floors of the general map area, occasionally with doodads and units to simulate object and player positions. From there, you can keep a good idea where people are, enemy placement, and all that fun stuff.

The combat result system doesn't sound too bad, but perhaps as a streamline, perhaps a thread of combat results/rolling can be done to discuss combat maneuvers- basically, a OOC for just rolls, and at a 'turn end' a recap is posted in the gamethread/encounter thread itself. That way, if roleplay actions like barking orders to others are happening, it won't be interfered by 10-12 posts of 'I attack the darkness!' in spoiler tags.

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

First, I just have to say that, at least in the original game, attacking the darkness was, at times, a viable strategy. I remember one time I walk a guy out of the Skyranger, a few plasma shots come out of the darkness, I have my rocket launcher guy return fire and I hear a few dead alien sounds.

But yah, a combat thread might be a good idea.

For maps, what I think I might do is make a few "stock" maps and then add some changes for different areas. Still unsure though.

For changes between the original and the new ones, they're pretty significant, but at the same time don't really detract from the experience very much. It's mostly streamlining and simplifying, so, for example, instead of having a pool of time units to do all of a soldier's actions with, you instead have a D&D-like set of actions for each soldier. You can shoot (which ends that soldier's turn), move and shoot, move and move, or sprint (double move, but you get some extra defense from reaction shots while running). Using most items also ends the turn, and interacting with world objects typically doesn't cost an action (things like disabling a bomb, for example).

Overall, I'd say the newer games are more focused on battlefield tactics and action, as opposed to the longer term strategy and planning for the originals. Both have their appeals.

GargantuaBlarg

Lurker
RP Moderator
Reputation score

*hears NewCom*

*froths intensely*

The 2-action system is so gameyyyyy. Chryssalids aren't even scary anymore either, they can't hit you on a turn they can't see you, and they also don't instakill you. It also makes rookies even more worthless than they used to be, since they can't dive behind real cover after popping a couple shots off like before - they just have to fukken deal with whatever cover bonuses they get from wherever they're standing, which Thin Men will quickly show you don't fukken matter fuck Thin Men so hard. That, combined with the vastly restricted unit count, makes it basically a 'you lost you just don't know it yet' if you actually lose too many of your vet troopers ever.

Oh, and don't forget that the aliens don't do shit until you rub your face against their position, at which point their whole squad gets a free move into cover, cuz' fuck you.

It's decent as a game, but severely lacking in the . But, whatever, I've got Xenonauts.

xivvix

Lurker
Reputation score

An X-COM rp sounds like it could be fun, but a PbP that tried to simulate the actual game might get old before anything even happens. I imagine missions that take months to resolve, with multiple rounds of all players and NPCs missing thanks to everyone in full cover at long range. It might be better to simplify the combat, maybe a single roll that simulates how favorably the battle goes for a couple rounds, then just rp out what happens. The players could give general actions like "fighting defensively", "using explosives", "prioritize muton berserker", etc. all of which can just be taken into account when deciding how the amalgamated combat round resolves. You wouldn't even need to worry about maps and cover placement, just decide on how much cover is available and how strong the enemy forces are, though I suppose that may start to lose what makes it an XCOM rp...

But yeah, I vote for both ;)

OP
maikochan

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

So some perk ideas. Available only at character creation. Still rough ideas. I'll post more about other things when I've got a mind to.

Plot Immunity: Something, or someone is watching over you. You won't be killed in battle, but that doesn't mean you won't get hurt or put in very bad situations. However, unless you decide to give up, there'll always be a chance to return to the base.
Special Action: Heroic Sacrifice: You can choose to sacrifice your immortality in order to achieve some particular goal. Possibilities range from putting yourself between an alien shot and a valuable civilian or fellow soldier, entering a toxic gas filled room in order to open a door to let your squad escape, staying behind to ensure that an airstrike takes out a Chryssalid infestation, or flying a self-destructing alien ship out into orbit so that it doesn't take the planet out with it. When making a heroic sacrifice, the goal you are trying to achieve is guaranteed to be successful, but, obviously, you won't survive long enough to enjoy it. There are, of course, some limits, and are to be determined by the GM on a case-by-case basis.

Specialized Training: Before being moved to the XCOM project, you were trained in a specialized field. You start in the class of your choosing (Support, Assault, Sniper or Heavy) with the ability to use that class's weapons and armor, as well as any benefits that come from being a part of that class. You do not, however, start with the class's Squaddie level promotion ability but will gain that upon promotion. When being promoted to Squaddie, you can't choose another class to change to.

Night Eyes: You've trained in low-light low-visibility conditions. Your detection range isn't affected by light levels or by obscuring conditions such as weather or smoke.

Tech Specialist: You've got a knack for working with machines and probably would have gone on to join the XCOM project's Engineering division if you weren't also a good soldier. You count as an Engineer on the XCOM staff, as well as a soldier. Additionally, you can repair SHIVs, MECs and any other friendly mechanized units in the field. This takes an attack action and heals the unit for 1 HP, however, this ability requires no research or special tools and can be done an unlimited number of times in a mission.
Special Promotion Ability: Pet Drone: If you capture an alien drone, upon mission completion, the drone is not disassembled. Instead, you keep it in your inventory and can deploy it on future missions. As long as your pet drone survives a mission, it will remain usable. You can only have one pet drone at a time.

Science Officer: Brain and brawn, you're a scientist as well as a soldier and count as such on the XCOM staff. Not quite sure what other abilities this perk gives, leaning to things like battlefield autopsies or being able to use an unresearched alien weapon for a few actions per battle or something.

Alien Ancestry: The aliens have been observing and meddling on Earth for some time now (at least since the 60s). In that time they've made a few changes to some humans' genetic code. Now that they've started their full-on attack, you find that this hitherto unknown trait allows you to use alien weapons and tools without assistance. However, alien devices aren't made for human hands, so you take a penalty to Aim when using unresearched alien weapons (exactly how much, I'm not sure yet), and an equal penalty when using any other alien device that hasn't been researched yet.

Wild Talent: As a child people thought your house was haunted due to poltergeist activity. In actuality, it was due to awakening psionic powers. Not quite sure the full effect of this, but probably gives some bonus to using psi powers and you're guaranteed to have "the gift". Possibly adds some minor psi ability that can be used even before psi testing becomes available. Maybe a watered down mindfray ability that becomes upgraded upon proper awakening.