What's new

[WIP - Full] [Inui] Hounds of the Meteor (Machine and Manual Translated)

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Thread for the game:
https://ulmf.org/threads/inui-hounds-of-the-meteor.10599/

Game's official site:

Something that started out as a personal project, I decided to share it since the official translation is.... rough, and there are no real alternatives. Everything, from cutscenes, in-battle quotes and dialogue, etc. are all translated.

Disclaimer: I do NOT speak, read, or understand Japanese. The translation done is me heavily editing the official translation Inui provided so that it's less machine translated and more understandable, and everything that wasn't translated by Inui went through Google Translate before also being heavily edited. Care and effort was taken so that character personalities and the plot is as accurate as I can possibly make it.

If anyone here who does understand Japanese want to take over, by all means.

To apply the translation:
1. Unzip the file
2. Replace the IncompleteEnglish folder in the HotM64/HotM32's Text folder with the decompressed file.
3. Make sure IncompleteEnglish is selected in the game's configuration menu.

I'm quite poor at editing my own work, so if you spot any spelling or grammatical errors, or any other problems like certain scenes not loading, dialogue being out of sync or dialogue not fitting the dialogue box, let me know.

There is a bit of a text wrap issue with the in-game battle dialogue, where text does go over the textbox, but those are deliberately left that way as you can still read the whole thing and it doesn't block anything. If it does bother enough people I'll try fix it.

As this game itself is a WIP, I will be translating future updates when they become available. Inui is also slowly releasing official translations for the latest update which released mostly untranslated, I already translated these scenes myself, but when these official translations are released I will update mine so that it matches the official one more closely.

Changelog:
HotM-20201014-1 - October build fully translated, few minor tweaks to random parts to reflect updated official translation

HotM-20200920-1 - September build fully translated

Hotm-Free Trial-EngFiles-1 - Full translation of the "Free Trial" version (up to the August build)

HoTM-20200617-1 - June 2020 version fully translated

HoTM-20200418-2 - Minor fixes throughout

HoTM-20200418-1 - April 2020 version of HoTM fully translated

HoTM-20200313-3 - Final update for the March build. Edited more of the March Update scenes to better match the official translation. Found and fixed a large handful of translation errors and grammar mistakes throughout. Also, all Yakuza-terminologies will not be directly translated and will now use the Japanese terms with brief Translator's Notes to inform the player what they mean the first time they are used.

HoTM-20200313-2 - Edited 3 scenes (the 3 possible outcomes from Laki's conversation after the shower room scene) to better match the official translation

IncompleteEnglish - First Release, full translation of version 20200313

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Do I give updates through posting on the thread, or do I just update the OP? Oh well, I'll give an update here.

Firstly, doing this really makes me appreciate fan translations a whole lot more. This is both a lot of fun, and incredibly tedious, especially since I don't have an editor so I just keep replaying the game over and over looking for things I may have missed.

Since starting this I've had problems with the small size of the text boxes in this game, often times the text I translate would go out of frame. But recently I learned how to add new text boxes without breaking scenes, so I went back and re-translated a bunch of old scenes to more accurately translate them. While I was at it I found a lot of lines that made no sense or were really badly translated, as well as little grammar mistakes here and there. So those should all be fixed now.

I also decided to use the actual Japanese words for the titles the Yakuza group use to address each other, including brief translator's notes the first time they are used to inform the player what they mean.

Looks like Inui's done releasing English patches for the March Build, so I guess I'm done editing this until the April Update becomes available for everyone next month. Thanks for the Likes!

super_slicer

Lord High Inquisitor
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score
Do I give updates through posting on the thread, or do I just update the OP? Oh well, I'll give an update here.
Either way works, but it'd make sense to at least update the link in the OP to the newest version of the translation or make a post in the thread letting people know you've made an update since threads will sink to the bottom of the list if nobody makes a new post for a while.

OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
April Update is available for everyone, and to my despair: it was almost entirely untranslated (only 1 screen was translated), so I had to work from scratch on this one. Got a lot better at editing and checking, so it didn't take as long as it usually does. Of course with how I don't understand Japanese at all and you can only go so far with Machine Translations, I had to do a lot of guesswork for quite a few lines on this one.

Anyway, OP Updated to the newest version. Have fun.

Oir

Reputation score
April Update is available for everyone, and to my despair: it was almost entirely untranslated (only 1 screen was translated), so I had to work from scratch on this one. Got a lot better at editing and checking, so it didn't take as long as it usually does. Of course with how I don't understand Japanese at all and you can only go so far with Machine Translations, I had to do a lot of guesswork for quite a few lines on this one.

Anyway, OP Updated to the newest version. Have fun.
That's awesome! Thanks again for keeping at it!

OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
June build fully translated.

I did start translating the May build when it came out, but it was mostly battle noises that got really tedious to do and I stopped half-way. With the new update and new story scenes I finally got around to finishing translating the May build and also get to work with the new scene in the June update.

Also, I'm having trouble testing the battle dialogue and captions. Having a weird glitch where the combat rape scenes don't start with the Testers and the Stalkers (works fine with the Thugs). At first I thought I screwed something up with the translation, but I tried with a clean version and it still happens. Don't know if other people are having this issue, but if you don't, let me know if the battle dialogue and captions work/look fine.

Last edited:
OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
I was going to update this when I was done, but I keep procrastinating and someone asked so....

I'm still working on this. I'm actually almost done (just a small handful of battle dialogue left). And then sure enough, the new translator Inui hired uploaded his own translations of various scenes, so I'm going to have to go over those and edit what I wrote to fit that more closely.

I'll also be uploading 2 versions: one for the official free demo, and one for the current build (since starting with the August build, all future versions are technically behind a paywall). So even if you're a supporter, or a pirate, rejoice. I can translate the latest build as well.

Anyway, that's all for this status update. Expect the next translation update sometime over the weekend.

OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Translation Update up.

Both for the latest build and the free trial. Use whichever is appropriate for you.

Sorry for being late with the translations this time around. Also, because I decided to upload two different translation folders this time for the 2 different versions, I didn't fully test some stuff out to make sure things that worked in one build worked in the other. But it should be fine, the versions aren't so different that the text files being exactly the same between builds would break anything. So it should be fine. If something isn't, let me know.

Oir

Reputation score
Translation Update up.

Both for the latest build and the free trial. Use whichever is appropriate for you.

Sorry for being late with the translations this time around. Also, because I decided to upload two different translation folders this time for the 2 different versions, I didn't fully test some stuff out to make sure things that worked in one build worked in the other. But it should be fine, the versions aren't so different that the text files being exactly the same between builds would break anything. So it should be fine. If something isn't, let me know.
Haha, I know it's just a manner of speech but you really don't need to set deadlines for yourself on these things let alone be sorry for translations being "late".
Thank you for the great update! Much appreciated!

OP
G

gavincreeper

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Haha, I know it's just a manner of speech but you really don't need to set deadlines for yourself on these things let alone be sorry for translations being "late".
Thank you for the great update! Much appreciated!
I'm aware, but I still feel a little bad. I had done like 95% of it weeks ago, plus I remember impatiently waiting for a translation of the latest update for a game I liked. I'm just that kind of guy who apologises over the dumbest things, even if I don't owe anyone anything.

Oir

Reputation score