What's new

[Complete - Full] Magician of the Olecta Desert

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Re: Magician of the Olecta Desert

No, it's nothing you did. I've fixed that problem and a couple other things and put an updated patch in the first post. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Reputation score

Thanks for the updated Patch :)

Cielo14

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

i seem to be having an issue running the patch with the 1.03 version of the game even though I have the file in the audio folder

can someone help?

Attachments

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Might be a locale issue. Try setting your computer's locale to Japanese. If that's not it, it would be helpful if you could tell me exactly when the error is happening. On launch? Later?

Hoboy

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

Might be a locale issue. Try setting your computer's locale to Japanese. If that's not it, it would be helpful if you could tell me exactly when the error is happening. On launch? Later?
I have tried with every version that has come out, and always have an issue with an audio file in the SE folder - which (trust me - I can attach a screenshot if needed) matches the error/file in folder exactly. In Hiragana mode (I think) but have tried every Japanese mode I can think of. Using v1.030 and have tried every method of unzipping in both PC and Mac I can try...not sure what to try next...

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Okay, can you attach the screenshot and tell me when exactly the error occurs? It will be much easier to narrow down the issue between something internal to the game and requiring an updated patch versus some incompatibility with your system.

Assuming it isn't an internal problem, here are some random thoughts for a solution, apologies if you've tried these already or they seem obvious:

Make sure that you've actually changed your locale to Japanese. Depending on your version of windows, there may be a bunch of different places where you can change a region setting. What you're looking for will be described as "Language for non-Unicode programs" and will likely require a restart.

Try opening the game.ini file and changing the line that reads Library=System\RGSS300.dll to Library=System\RGSS301.dll (or vice versa). Make sure that the .dll file you're switching to is in the system folder; rgss301 should have come with the game and I included rgss300 in the patch.

Really reaching now, but... try placing the game folder somewhere else or running in a compatibility mode? Check that you have the VX Ace RTP installed (it's not the same as the VX one)? Witchcraft?

Nidjo

Demon Girl Pro
Reputation score

I have tried with every version that has come out, and always have an issue with an audio file in the SE folder - which (trust me - I can attach a screenshot if needed) matches the error/file in folder exactly. In Hiragana mode (I think) but have tried every Japanese mode I can think of. Using v1.030 and have tried every method of unzipping in both PC and Mac I can try...not sure what to try next...
Also a longshot, but did you try renaming the main folder? I had some issues with audio files if the folder name (rather the path to the file) was long.

For example D:/hrpg/Magician of the Olecta Desert - オーレクタ砂漠の魔術師/<game folder here>

I'd usually just change it to D:/hrpg/Olecta/<game folder here>

Also like farcefield said, where does the error pop up, I could check if I get the same error in that area.

PS.
Thanks for the translation farce. <3 Those sneak kinda games are always fun.

Last edited:

sandchainz

Reputation score

Make a screenshot of the error, but previoulsy make a screenshot of the map where that happens, I'll try to help.

dark1193

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

thanks for the translation! this is pretty neat! :)

Hoboy

Reputation score

This is at the start- just after selecting attributes. Start of the desert it comes up with this.

PS - also tried moving the folder to the root to shorten the path name, and double checked the .dlls...really want to make this work as I really enjoyed Escape from Fort Rugoem...

Attachments

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Think I have it. Those last two files in your SE folder should be named 疑問? and 発見!, punctuation included mark included. Doesn't look like they are in your screenshot. Not sure how those could have gotten trimmed off but try restoring them to the names above.

Hoboy

Reputation score

I can use the !, but windows will not allow a ? in the file name...how the hell do you get around that?

PS - even with an added ! (or <space>!) it still doesn't recognize the file...oh well...

Last edited:
OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

What probably isn't clear is that the ! and ? are from the Japanese character set, not the English one. They're distinct and won't substitute for each other. Instead of typing them copy and paste the names I posted above.

sandchainz

Reputation score

This is at the start- just after selecting attributes. Start of the desert it comes up with this.

PS - also tried moving the folder to the root to shorten the path name, and double checked the .dlls...really want to make this work as I really enjoyed Escape from Fort Rugoem...
Just tested that part, everything works fine, had no problems.

Yukihirou

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Wow, the third game is not out yet and we already have a full translation of this gem already, thank you based translator, you and all other translators are godsent !

lukexk

Reputation score

What probably isn't clear is that the ! and ? are from the Japanese character set, not the English one. They're distinct and won't substitute for each other. Instead of typing them copy and paste the names I posted above.
worked for me, thanks

Hoboy

Reputation score

That did it! For the record, are those hirigana or katagana? I usually get everything working by using hirigana, but maybe that was the problem?

Anyway - thanks! Up and running:D

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Eh, I don't think they strictly belong to either kana set -- I'm not really qualified to explain this in depth, but as I understand the difference between ? and ? is ultimately more about the number of bytes each character is encoded in than it is about their relationship to any specific language. I referred to it as belonging to the Japanese character set just because I thought that made the problem easy to understand (and honestly my own understanding doesn't go much beyond that).

I'm not really sure what might have happened to get the kanji to show up nice and neatly but leave the punctuation off entirely. Beyond "mess around with things more and see if you can figure out what's up" I don't have any advice for dealing with this in the future.

Anyway, glad you were finally able to get it working. Enjoy.

OP
farcefield

farcefield

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I'll be honest. The amount of bug yaoi in this game? Relatively low. Like, if you're looking for bug yaoi, this probably shouldn't be your first stop.