What's new

SIM [Old Huntsman] Jack-o-nine-tails [SLG]

12TonWeight

Grim Reaper
Reputation score
Re: [SLG] Jack-o-nine-tails

I'm currently trying to do the special requests in the White Town central forum (mostly I want the magic items)

looking at Garsid the inseminater.

How the fuck do I actually had over a girl when she's trained?

He says he wants someone with all sex skills, and she has literally everything at green.

Wait, I don't need to train her for pigfucking and scat, do i?

that shit is nasty.
Look at the bugger. HE is nasty. Pig fucking seems pretty tame compared to that.

perleflamme

Demon Girl
Reputation score

Anyone can send me a link or post it, please, I can't find it.

Dono1973

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Can anyone give me some tips for training the amazon in the tutorial, as so far no matter what I seem to do she just shrugs it off or starts a fight.

Damoriva

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Any idea what's actually included in "other expenses"? Rent and food are still in double digits for me but "other expenses" is nearly 500.

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Any idea what's actually included in "other expenses"? Rent and food are still in double digits for me but "other expenses" is nearly 500.
The game automatically assigns you a random weekly bill of a few hundred based on your wealth level (living standards). Think of it as chandelier wax, silver polish, dry cleaning, imported food for your poodle, and so on.

Code:
if master_wealth = 0: other_bills = 0
if master_wealth = 1: other_bills = RAND (20,30)
if master_wealth = 2: other_bills = RAND (40,60)
if master_wealth = 3: other_bills = RAND (80,120)
if master_wealth = 4: other_bills = RAND (200,300)
if master_wealth = 5: other_bills = RAND (400,600)
if master_wealth = 6: other_bills = RAND (800,1200)
It adds a few dozen more for any ongoing rentals, and for any grocery items that your assistant is ordered to buy automatically. But your living standard is the main thing.

Damoriva

Cthulhu
Reputation score

Alright then, is there any real reason to stay at that level then? Apart from bitching in his diary the slaver doesn't seem to actually be affected by mood at all.

Manamana

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Just began to play the game, and I have questions. :D

- What do the colors mean when training a slave? I can understand to see her absolute abilities in color, but her training?:

- My mc is "cheerful", so is there any importance in caring for his state of mind?
- What does "standard of living" change exactly?
- Do you need to reward/punish the slave every time she does something? Let's say you train her and she needs a 2 points reward, but if you train her 2 times, will she need 4 points reward? Or maybe 2 points reward after every training?
Also what about masochistic slaves: any physical abuse will be treated as a reward?
- What's the point of rape? Is it a punishment?
- What's the point of Deny Orgasm?

edit: How much reward points are given by moral encouragement?
edit one more: what does mean "aura of a slave is fainter than yours" or "aura of a slave is considerably fainter than yours"?
edit omg this game: is giving a dress, giving better food considered a reward by the slave? How much of a reward is it?

Lots of question, sorry :D

Attachments

Last edited:

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

- What do the colors mean when training a slave? I can understand to see her absolute abilities in color, but her training?:
Same thing. For example: a red training entry means "girl does not yet have any levels in this skill." A few of them won't match up exactly, because the word shown in the right-hand pane is an average of several separate skills (e.g. "Penetration" = Sex + Anal Sex + Fisting + Anal Fisting).
- My mc is "cheerful", so is there any importance in caring for his state of mind?
"Cheerful" isn't a character trait; it's simply his current mood. It can decay if you force him to live in squalor, make him sexually frustrated, feed him awful food, etc... But if he's "cheerful" then you're probably avoiding such mistakes already -- it will probably be fine.

- What does "standard of living" change exactly?
Incurs a significant cost per week (so you shouldn't bump it up until you've learned the game mechanics and can reliably turn a profit from training girls). Provides a morale boost. High standard of living is required before you'll be able to interact with some high-class clients.

- Do you need to reward/punish the slave every time she does something? Let's say you train her and she needs a 2 points reward, but if you train her 2 times, will she need 4 points reward? Or maybe 2 points reward after every training?
No, you don't need to react every time. Unpunished misbehaviour will eventually spoil a girl (but you can usually get her to stop misbehaving and obey, before she becomes badly spoiled). Punishing misbehaviour prevents spoilage, but tends to harm her mood (and can also inflict pain/fear, if you use nasty punishment techniques). Punishment techniques can also reduce the girl's pride -- which may be useful in a few scenarios.

Good behaviour is an opportunity to use reward actions. These actions usually improve her mood -- if her mood is low (e.g. due to a painful sex-training session), then an occasional reward is useful. Don't let her fall into misery or depression! It's difficult to recover, she'll refuse or fail most training, her auction value will plummet, and she may try to kill herself. Remember that some rewards actions have side-effects (such as weight gain or increased assertiveness).

- What's the point of rape? Is it a punishment?
Rape in this game means "we're going to have sex and I won't let you refuse." If the girl is reluctant then she'll suffer pain/fear and she probably won't enjoy it. If she's willing then it's a bit humbling for her but she'll probably have fun. If she's hostile then she may fight you (to the death!) rather than submit to rape.

If your character is skilled and the girl is willing, then it's probably more useful to give her an actual sex-lesson. The Rape option may be useful in a few cases where you're trying to break the girl's Pride (but there are more "direct" options available if that's your goal).

It's a quick and convenient way to reduce your character's arousal (if he's uncomfortably horny) and may suit your personal tastes (roleplaying). I used it mainly because the "Active Sex" minigame (which is theoretically superior) has a lousy UI and many bugs.

- What's the point of Deny Orgasm?
If she obeys it? It provides a minor boost to a few statistics whenever she refrains from orgasm - but the constant horniness will hurt her mood. If she breaks it (e.g. because you jammed a vibrator up her cooch)? It makes her more passionate but incurs a few points of sin (so you need to either punish her for breaking the rule, or deal with the eventual spoilage).

edit: How much reward points are given by moral encouragement?
It depends on which of the sub-options you select. The first is +1, the second is +2, etc.
edit one more: what does mean "aura of a slave is fainter than yours" or "aura of a slave is considerably fainter than yours"?
Supremacy. It indicates the likelihood that she'll obey orders. This is an aggregate of several statistics. For example: a Prideful girl is less likely to obey; a Charismatic guy is more likely to be obeyed, and Intelligent girl is harder to boss around, etc...
edit omg this game: is giving a dress, giving better food considered a reward by the slave? How much of a reward is it?
The gorgeous dress is a +4 reward; wedding dress is +5. Adjusing or improving her diet is not considered a reward. The one-time "treat" foods (e.g. chocolate) are rewards. The top item is +1, the next is +2, etc...

Manamana

Tentacle God
Reputation score

OK some other questions :D

How to train main character skills? I suppose I do that by doing a related activity, and indeed I was able to become better in stewardship by cooking everyday, but it seems I can't go better than "housekeeper". Are there teachers in game? Or do you get better by doing it over and over only? Same thing with sex skills?

Are assistant always willing to help, or can they escape too? I mean I just got Isabella, and I can train her. Any point doing that?

Spoiling can go up really fast, is there any efficient way to decrease it? Punishing the slave instead of praising her I suppose, as said stuntcock42..?
I see in the wiki a but I don't have that in my game :confused:

Last edited:

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

How to train main character skills? I suppose I do that by doing a related activity, and indeed I was able to become better in stewardship by cooking everyday, but it seems I can't go better than "housekeeper".
You can, it just takes more time for each additional skill level. [Housekeeper] → [Steward] would require 40 days of cooking meals (if that was your character's only source of experience).

Cleaning the house also trains the stewardship skill, and can be done multiple times per day (at a significant energy cost, though). Personally training your girl in cooking, cleaning, or secretarial skills will also boost your own skill -- but this training option is available only if your skill level exceeds hers.
Are there teachers in game?
Yes, but they only work with girls. You can't use them. If you pay attention to the flavour text, you'll see why - many of the lessons involve the teacher molesting the pupil. You probably wouldn't want your character to submit to such treatment.
Or do you get better by doing it over and over only? Same thing with sex skills?
Mostly "yes." There are a few boosts available via items, but your initial character choice (or stat allocation for Sandbox mode) is very significant. Skill "growth" is slower (and more hidden) than in similar games such as SlaveMaker; it may feel like you're not making progress at all.

I assume that most players accept this limitation and choose a corresponding character (e.g. Jack for powergaming, or Johnny for challenge). Or that they play to their character's skills (e.g. Butler character cooks his own meals, but he pays someone else to sex-train his girls because he's incompetent in bed). Or that players eventually get impatient and use the trainer to adjust their skill levels.

Are assistant always willing to help, or can they escape too? I mean I just got Isabella, and I can train her. Any point doing that?
Assistants are supposed to be killable via fog fiend incubation, but IIRC the event is bugged and won't occur. They can be taken away by the Church if you get them pregnant and allow the pregnancy to proceed naturally -- but the game gives you multiple warning about this.

The game tracks the Assistant's emotional state, but it's pretty tough to "accidentally" piss her off (because a girl needs to be quite loyal before she can become an Assistant). An Assistant can't starve; I've never seen one refuse an order or run away. They can fail a task (e.g. due to low skill, insufficient materials, an uncooperative slave-girl, or personal frailty) but that's usually your fault for giving bad orders. Assistants are fairly reliable, and "investing" in your Assistant is a good idea. Just be sure that you're investing in the right one -- training a stupid girl will take a long time, so you may be better off selling her and choosing a better candidate (even if it will take a few extra days/weeks to earn her trust or overcome her defiance).

Interactions with an Assistant are very limited (therefore: girls in the Assistant role tend to gain experience very slowly). The Train option allows you to perform the normal "slave" interactions with your Assistant. You'll be able to quickly increase her skills, but remember that you'll need to pay attention to her feelings while doing so -- when she's in the Slave slot, she can get depressed or run away. So long as you don't piss her off too much, you should be able to promote her back to Assistant whenever you want.

Having a skilled Assistant is useful because she can do some things that your character can't (e.g. brew potions), help out with household tasks (e.g. grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning) which allows you to focus on your slave girl, and she can lead a training session if your character is too tired to do it himself. In all of these examples, her skill levels matter. If she's cooking lousy meals, then maybe spend a few days Training her and then swap her back to the Assistant slot.
Spoiling can go up really fast, is there any efficient way to decrease it? Punishing the slave instead of praising her I suppose, as said stuntcock42..?
I see in the wiki a but I don't have that in my game :confused:
It's not under the "Punishment" or "Reward" talk options. Or the "Slave Activities" > "Talk" options. Click the Exclamation Mark icon near the girl's portrait. Yes, I know that the Jack-o-9 UI is confusing and poorly organized. It was written by a mad Russian in a godawful programming language; be grateful that it works at all.

By the way - you should be occasionally using the Question Mark icon to ask her about her mood, her goals, etc... This is "free" (it doesn't cost energy) and it can inform you about game mechanics that you may have overlooked. For example, she'll get upset if you allow several days to pass without offering her any verbal praise. Even if you've been consistently rewarding her with chocolate, jewelry, and PhD-level cunnilingus!

The "Put in Place" conversation can reduce spoilage, but it must be used early. If the girl has become very spoiled (rebellious/defiant) then she'll just laugh it off. Try to avoid spoilage in the first place - use appropriate punishments, don't use excessive rewards, don't make requests that she's likely to refuse (unless you can "afford" to punish her afterwards), improve her sleeping conditions (so that she's less likely to get unhappy, which would force you to offer an excessive Reward which creates Spoilage), buy her some comfortable slippers, etc...

Later on, you'll gain the ability to use magic to ensure that she obeys important orders. Alternatively, you can get her to drink a special potion which wipes her memory -- it removes all spoiling, but also resets her loyalty and habituation. Since those stats take a long time to rebuild, it's probably more effective to just sell off the spoiled girl, acquire a new one, and avoid your previous mistakes.

Manamana

Tentacle God
Reputation score

stuntcock42, thanks again for sharing your knowledge with the game ;)

You can, it just takes more time for each additional skill level. [Housekeeper] → [Steward] would require 40 days of cooking meals (if that was your character's only source of experience).

Cleaning the house also trains the stewardship skill, and can be done multiple times per day (at a significant energy cost, though). Personally training your girl in cooking, cleaning, or secretarial skills will also boost your own skill -- but this training option is available only if your skill level exceeds hers.
So the tactic would be to raise skills to a minimum, then to to teach slaves in order to both raise them. Then sell slave and rinse and repeat!

Having a skilled Assistant is useful because she can do some things that your character can't (e.g. brew potions), help out with household tasks (e.g. grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning) which allows you to focus on your slave girl, and she can lead a training session if your character is too tired to do it himself. In all of these examples, her skill levels matter. If she's cooking lousy meals, then maybe spend a few days Training her and then swap her back to the Assistant slot.
OK, and what about sex training? Does active/relaxed sex with assistant give any skill for main character?

It's not under the "Punishment" or "Reward" talk options. Or the "Slave Activities" > "Talk" options. Click the Exclamation Mark icon near the girl's portrait.
I was searchig in "Rules", so that's why!
Yes the UI could have been better organized overall, but it's surprisingly ok for a free game I think :D

By the way - you should be occasionally using the Question Mark icon to ask her about her mood, her goals, etc... This is "free" (it doesn't cost energy) and it can inform you about game mechanics that you may have overlooked. For example, she'll get upset if you allow several days to pass without offering her any verbal praise. Even if you've been consistently rewarding her with chocolate, jewelry, and PhD-level cunnilingus!
Oh, good to know!

The "Put in Place" conversation can reduce spoilage, but it must be used early. If the girl has become very spoiled (rebellious/defiant) then she'll just laugh it off. Try to avoid spoilage in the first place - use appropriate punishments, don't use excessive rewards, don't make requests that she's likely to refuse (unless you can "afford" to punish her afterwards), improve her sleeping conditions (so that she's less likely to get unhappy, which would force you to offer an excessive Reward which creates Spoilage), buy her some comfortable slippers, etc...
OK, but wouldn't these things be considered spoiling her? Or maybe they'll act as reward when she does well?

iamnuff

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I kinda want to make a girl as spoiled as possible before I start training her, just to see how hard it is.

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

OK, and what about sex training? Does active/relaxed sex with assistant give any skill for main character?
Yes. But OldHuntsman wanted to discourage players from repetitively "farming" activities, so many types of actions will provide statistic boosts only once per day. Nonetheless, the game will allow you to repeat the action and waste Energy on it. So you should try to "mix things up" - if you want to improve your character's Penetration skill, then do a sex-training lesson, then Relaxed Sex, then Active Sex (and do lots of different things during the sesion, including internal ejaculation). Of course, this sort of intensive training will quickly make your character exhausted and limp-dicked -- unless you've picked up some of the special items which boost your libido and stamina.

Alternatively, setup a daily schedule in which you perform a single action (e.g. Anal Sex training) routinely once-per-day, and spend the rest of your daily resources on aerobic fitness, attitude adjustment, maid lessons, etc...

OK, but wouldn't these things be considered spoiling her? Or maybe they'll act as reward when she does well?
It's possible to give clothing items via the reward menu; this is handled as a reward/punish action and does incur Spoilage (unless the girl has done something very nice to earn it).

However, you can also walk to the White Quarter, visit the boutique, buy some slippers, return home, and equip them onto your girl via her inventory screen. This isn't considered a reward action, but the slippers will still provide a minor daily boost to happiness. Of course, you can choose different clothing and accessories -- the headband also boosts happiness, the maid outfit boosts cleaning, high heels boost Style, wig boosts Exoticism, etc...

Sleeping arrangements and dietary policy are more complicated. Letting her sleep in your bed will cause slight spoilage, but it also gives her more energy per day (so perhaps you can complete her training before Spoilage has accumulated to a dangerous level). Your bed is nicer than the default bedroll, so it provides a minor boost to her mood. But if the girl is disloyal and Proud, then being forced to sleep with you will actually make her unhappy.

Each level of loyalty (aka Morality) negates one point of Spoilage per day. Each level of fear has the same effect. So if you're trying to completely avoid Spoilage then you can try to scare the girl early on, and then taper off the scary stuff as she becomes loyal. But this is tricky because she needs to be happy in order to build loyalty, and fear-inducing actions tend to make her unhappy. So you could employ several non-spoiling happiness boosts (e.g. slippers, headband), treat the girl nicely, allow her to become somewhat spoiled as she build up loyalty, and then rely on the increased loyalty to gradually deplete her spoilage. Remember that you can use the "Put in her Place" conversation (once per day) to knock off a few points of spoilage, but it kills any affection she has for you -- you won't be having consensual sex for a while.

The default diet (dehydrated food) makes her slightly unhappy. Fresh food avoids the mood penalty but it's more expensive. Sharing your leftovers provides a slight happiness boost (if your dinner is high-quality) and doesn't cost any more (it's extra food which was going to be thrown away!) but it tends to make her fat.

------------------

Many of the game mechanics (e.g. diet, health, stamina, mood) overlap and interlock. Don't try to optimize everything - it isn't fun and it probably won't work. Instead, find a gameplay strategy which suits your tastes (or those of your character), talk to the girl to see how it affects her, make adjustments as needed, and try to find a way to turn a profit. For example, your initial strategy seemed to generate too much spoilage; perhaps your next strategy will generate unspoiled but overweight girls.

The actual "goal" of the game is to gain social status in the city, but you can safely ignore it and just focus on trying to train a perfect Waifu (or maxing out your character's stats, or rescuing dozens of innocent girls then impregnating them and selling them into slavery, or raising a baby Fog Fiend into a collosal tentacle monster, or ... whatever).

Alploochra

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Hello fellow slave trainers,

We're looking for some kind-hearted slavers (well in fact it's more about evulz-loving slavers, thus far) to get some thoughts back about the jack mod currently under work far way over there in /hgg/
It's only a little something right now.

Feedbacks and bug reports are welcome.
Keep in mind that your savegames can't be moved from any version to any other version ! QSP is a jealous bride.
Patchnote is in the archive.
It's been a very busy week in /hgg/, if you want to participate, check the ongoing dicussion, your guilty hidden thing is perhaps already a hot topic !

Thanks !

rynak

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

Bunch of bugs (many of them not yet mentioned in the thread) and proposals. Sorry if this comes of negatively since it's only criticism, but no praise. I think the OP already summed up all the nice things about this game, and i've got to say that despite its bugs, flaws and for my taste a bit too digusting dark themes, it's still my favorite among the "genre". I ragequitted slavemaker after 20mins of playing, yet still am playing this one after over 20 hours.

I've already PMed this to the author of the hggmod - then got my account activated 3 mins later. Sorry about the redundancy.

---

Outright bugs
------------------------------------------------------

Regular random crashes:
This is hard to pin down, because i happens in a rather wide range of circumstances. Here's the limitations i've observed:

- Only happens while at home
- Only happens while switching from one "screen" to another (i.e., just navigating the menu has never crashed. It happens for things like clicking on slave/assistant avatar pic, opening the training menu, or on new day begin)
- Only happens after at least several minutes of playing. Never happened shortly after a fresh launch.

---

The code for deciding which sex reward options are available, seems to be mixed up in a frustrating way:

- Cunniglingus (5) available already when slightly horny

- Vibe (4) available when moderately horny

- Petting (3) Available only when lust is maxxed.

WTH? It's basically reversed. Array order bug in the code? Let me guess: The options are pushed into the array in one order, but then are selected in the switch block in the opposite order - amrite?

---

Strange behavior of number of possible master orgasms during active sex:

This might be "by design" or a bug, but it certainly is neither intuitive nor rewarding. In short, the higher the slave's sex skill, the more "cum buildup" points will be lost when cumming. Sure, i think we can think of a reasoning for this, but from a gamedesign POV, this makes no goddamn sense, since the player is basically PUNISHED for raising a slave's sex skill: The higher the skill, the LESS you will be able to do during active sex.

Related to this is the consequence of being "overfucked" (i LOLed when i first saw that) and the slave then becoming guilty. This can easily happen, if the slave's skills are not totally maxed, so going at her twice is possible, yet they are so high that the 2nd time will always result in overfucked. Again, you could justify that in a rather amusing way, but from a gamedesign POV, it means that a more skilled slave will perform WORSE.

I mean, seriously - this is a PORN GAME - yet active sex, as well as the lust mechanics (i'll get to those later) are the probably worst designed and most buggy aspects of the game (while it shines in other aspects). Priorities?

---

Master/Slave Climax-counter during active sex is useless:

It would be better if it weren't even shown, because no info is better than false info. For the master as well as the slave, you should basically never draw assumptions from those counters, because they wildly jump around from one action to another. Any implied "scale" is a lie, and will change to something entirely different as your next action is executed. There doesn't even seem to be any logic about when you're forced to cum, because it certainly isn't 100 as stated in the wiki - sometimes it is 100, other times it's much lower - throw a coin about which interpretation the game might decide on this time around.

---

Some assignments and scenes seem to be bugged with regards to orgasm denial. One reproducable case is milking the fiend:

If you do this as part of TRAINING, then the scene will proc as expected - everything correct, including checking of orgasm denial. HOWEVER, if you do it as an ASSIGNMENT, then:

- The orgasm denial check will be ignored
- The slave will orgasm
- The slave will gain the relevant mood change
- The slave's lust will be reset to zero
- Yet the player gets no notification of any of this. All the observant player will notice is a mood change, and the slave's lust suddenly being zero, for no given reason.

---

The following mostly is a translation error, but the underlying feature itself IMO is so bad and completely unneccessary, that it should be killed with fire:

When you ask a slave how she feels, and she tells you that "I tried so hard, but you haven't told me a single good word" - this is extremely misleading to the player, because it doesn't mean what the textbit implies.

Intuitively, the player will assume that this is about not REWARDING the slave with nice words ("Moral Encouragement"). Nope! What it is about, is the "Encourage" TALK OPTION, which is tracked completely seperate from all the rewards and conditions.

Basically, no matter how much you reward your slave with "Moral Encouragement", no matter how much you reward her with all kinds of other things - slaves demand that you periodically use the "Encourage" talk option, or their maximum mood will be capped to happy, while their average mood drops by TWO notches. This not merely seems to be a flag, but a counter/score. I.e., i had a case where i had to "encourage" her on TWO consecutive days, until she stopped complaining about it. That is, you can have a completely happy, obedient and fearless slave, which you reward in every possible way, including words - yet she will complain about lack of nice words and take a mood dive, if you don't periodically use that "Encourage" talk option. Wat the hell?

Please, don't even bother fixing the translation - just axe this entire horrible "feature"!

Keep "Encourage" and "Threaten" as simply a tool to raise mood/fear every few days. So, with sufficient skill/domination, it becomes an OPPORTUNITY rather than a requirement.

Technical implementation issues:
--------------------------------

Rewards as well as rules are stored globally, instead of per individual.

For rules, this might be considered less of a problem - it's annoying and requires more micromanagement when switching slaves/assistants, but for the most part, it doesn't outrightly result in bugs. Though, there is one exception: The "vaginal vibe" flag seems to be reset whenever you switch slaves.

Rewards on the other hand are an outright bug, and it makes training of multiple persons on the same day a nightmare:

Since there is only one array of reward flags (a global one), if say you give slave1 reward X, then switch to slave2, now slave2 will behave as if it already received reward X.

This becomes worse, by the player getting no indication in the menus about which rewards were already picked. As a result (if combined with the global reward tracking), you cannot efficiently train multiple slaves per day without pen and paper notes.

And not just per day: Gifts and treats do not reset daily. As a result, if today you give slave1 chocolate, then tomorrow you give slave2 chocolate, the game will argue that slave2 got choc twice in a row. Yep!

I suppose from a programmer POV, the situation is that changing usage of the global flags would be too much a nightmare to refactor. That's fine, you don't need to touch that code at all. All you need to modify is the code for switching slave and assistant slots: Have a seperate redundant storage per-person for rewards and rules. Then when switching slots, do the appropriate load/store. Basically, the current global array becomes the "RAM", and your new per-person redundant storage becomes the "disk". As a result, all the code dependent on the global flags can remain as is - you just have to swap the contents of that array, when switching the slave/assistant slots.

The posted hgg-mod seems to have implemented this at least partially. It seems to work for rules - i'm not certain about rewards yet, which are the more serious issue. The readme doesn't mention anything about a rewards fix. Gotta test this more to be certain.

Strange design choices:
----------------------------------------------------

Intuitively, as a player you'd expect that slaves gradually build up lust on their own slowly, even without you doing something. You'd expect that the speed at which this happens depends on certain stats.

But in fact, regardless of stats slaves barely build up ANY lust by themselves, unless they're nymphos. While the slaver apparently is a perma-horny bastard, all the slaves are perma-cold on their own. They only start building up lust if you let them engage in sex actions and deny orgasm.

As a result, the vaginal beads are basically MANDATORY - it is the first item you should buy. It took me over 20 HOURS of playtime to figure this out, because seriously, who the hell would expect this to be mandatory?

The whole thing is basically designed to make toys and denial mandatory. That is unexpected on its own, but it gets worse with the interface, because: It means you basically want to have orgasm denial enabled at all times, except of when you want to allow release. BUT: Exactly that is when you will forget to uncheck it before i.e. giving an erotic reward, since the option/indicator is on different screen.

There has been no other issue in the game that has caused me so many reloads - not even the crashes.

By now i'm saving about every second action i take: Do a, do b, save, do c, do d, save, ....

Why? In this order: Orgasm denial management, crashes, lack of indication which rewards have been picked already. Those three things are responsible for me spending half of my playtime with saving and loading.

---

Combat system. It certainly is "creative" (and cryptic unless you read all the tooltips - and even then i still after 20 hours didn't understand the status effects fully yet). Problem is it might be too creative. Without some kind of tutorial, it's a black box. I figured out the rock-paper-scissors style relationship between enemy defense, and own attack quite quickly, but understanding the consequences and the "why" - i still don't think i fully got that.

Then there's group fight mechanics - i'm sorry, it just doesn't scale - it's fundamentally broken. When the number of attacks increases linear with the number of opponents - that just doesn't balance. There need to be some kind of dimishing returns for quantity over quality. The game practically admits how broken this is, when it sets up group fights against a dozen enemies which all have 1 hitpoint, to compensate the OP advantage of multiple attacks.

Then, there's difficulty scaling. With most master fights being entirely random, and many of them unwinnable without potions and/or extra hp - it basically means until about midgame, 80% of the possible combat scenes are unwinnable. Yet, if you put a gladiatrix into the arena, with good armor (i.e. your own), you notice something very strange: Gone are the high hitting attacks - the slave with good armor only takes minimum damage. This works even up to becoming the champion (so, before the special fights). So, let me get this right: The opponent of the fight for the champion title, deals 1hp damage against gothic armor. BUT a bunch of BEGGARS at the fog hit gothic armor for 4-10 damage? WAT?

Why was that done? I can tell you: It again is a kludge for broken mechanics - this time scaling. See, the master later on has access to potions and artefacts, which MULTIPLY his endurance in combat. To keep things interesting for midlevel and highlevel masters, enemy damage has to be multiplied as well. The problem is damage-scaling has to happen for ALL combat scenes - even supposedly lowlevel ones. Hence, there are no fight scenes adequate for the early game.

Why? Because combat rewards are RANDOM! When rewards are random (i.e. slave quality), then there is no reason to accept the hard fights. Hence, a highlevel player could farm easy fights and get similiar rewards. To prevent this, the game just makes the "easy" fights difficult as well, rather than fixing the rewards.

Lastly, i question the benefit of killing the master on combat loss. See, this is a game no one would be willing to play without reloads anyways - in case of combat even less so, given the random nature. As a result, the player will always save before combat and reload if he gets killed. What's the point of that? Why implement a "punishment" which the player will reject anyways? A more effective penalty would be (treatable) wounds and -3 energy on loss - then a player might actually accept that penalty, instead of reloading. For the few rare masochists, add an option to keep the current behavior.

Sandbox mode == Cheat mode?:
I think intuitively one expects sandbox mode simply to be the game without the story aspect. So, basically "freeform mode".

But as it is, such a mode does not exist. Sandbox mode instead seems to be a "cheat mode", since you start off with a wagonload of money, the best house and best armor. Nothing against having such a mode, but could people who just wish to play "freeform" get just that? It would be trivial to implement - after all, it would just be sandbox mode but with different starting values.

Feature proposals:
------------------------------------------------

- Indicators for which rewards have been picked. Just display them in different color for example.

- More dynamic responses for the "ask" options. For example, when you ask them how they feel, there are only a few topics they have an opinion about, so we're dealing with manageable complexity here. Yet, they only have one response per topic, per mood. The relationship between master and slave isn't taken into account at all. As a result, you can have perfectly obedient and devoted slave with no fear or despair or spoilage... everything perfect.... yet if you didn't give them that stupid "encourage", they will say "I tried so hard, and you didn't even tell me a single good word". Xcuse me, what? That is NOT the response a perfectly loyal servant would give - it's what a NEW and REBELLIOUS slave would say. It completely breaks immersion and roleplay.

With just 4 variations of such a response, it could take into account the current personality of the slave. How so? Easy, have responses for the following cases: Neutral, Obedient/Devoted (Average of both), Rebelious (opposite), Fear/Despair (Average of both). It just requires a switch statement and some statchecks, to select an appropriate response. Heck, the coding is just 3 minutes work, per topic - phrasing the responses is more work.

- More ways to raise slave fame than arena and pony races. I know there's spread rumors, but that mainly increases the masters rank, which as mentioned before is usually undesired. I understand this is a major undertaking in terms of implementation, but given that fame is the 2nd most important attribute, since only it can work around beauty, this is a major issue of the core gamemechanics. I'd propose two other options to gain fame: Sex and arts. OR: Check the next proposal for a "two birds, one stone"-solution...

- A way to earn small amounts of money by letting slaves "work". This also would solve the problem, of not being able to repeat certain scenes, once a slave has mastered the ability. And as hinted before, it might be a (slow) alternative to gain fame.

Technically, besides of coming up with some nice textbits, i wouldn't worry too much about art, since for most tasks, you could for the time being recycle existing pics.

Designwise, i'd propose it to work like this:

- Assigning a slave to work requires at least 3 energy left, sets energy to -2, sets hygiene to "dirty" (or perhaps worse for some kinds of "work"), and costs 3 calories. You might want to vary those specifics a bit by the type of task/work - some might be easy/clean but pay less, while others might be harsh/messy but pay more. As a result, a slave can only do it once per day, and since it's disadvantageus to health, it will actually take up the majority of two days (the second day you'd work on health recovery).

- Slaves gain no experience from working.

- Slaves do very slowly gain fame from working (at perhaps 1/4th the rate of arena fights, since you can do it more frequently), but no higher than the relevant primary skill(s).

- Monetary reward would depend on the skill of the slave. As a rough guideline (to be modified by other considerations):
* level 1 (red) Work not possible
* level 2 (pink) Work not possible
* level 3 (violet) 7-12 sparks
* level 4 (blue) 11-16 sparks
* level 5 (torq) 15-20 sparks
* level 6 (green) 19-25 sparks

The above levels are not just for the primary relevant skill, but the summary of all relevant skills/attributes (i'd propose a 2:1 ratio for primary skill(s) and secondary aspects). Income as mentioned before might be a bit lower or higher, depending on disadvantages/risk of the type of work.

Notice no mention of failure/refusal chances yet - that i propose to be handled the same as every other slave activity in the game: Based on motivation, though i'd suppose a high skill (level 5-6) would make the work more attractive, so failure chance would be lower even with bad morale.

So, in summary: You don't get rich this way, and keep in mind it's only sustainable at a pace of at most every 2nd day, and then you can't do much training with the slave on the off-day, since it has to recover health and energy. However, it can pay the bills and at high skill level actually make a small profit.

It thus doesn't replace selling slaves, but is an additional option, and at the very least allows roleplay and a purpose of some skills beyond trade, as well as repetition of some scenes after skill mastery.

If in the future you'd like to expand this with more expensive to implement features, then my one suggestion is this: Please do NOT introduce the possibility of randomly losing a slave! The cost/reward ratio doesn't justify such a risk. Raising rewards also wouldn't work, because at low skill the risk would probably be too high, yet at high skill level the slave would be too valueable to risk it at all. You CAN introduce the equivalent of RECOVERABLE "accidents" with a major cost, but please refrain from anything permanent or semi-permanent - it would make the option unfeasible, so almost no one would want to use it. Another thing to keep in mind is railroading: If you decide to implement "accidents/surprises", consider the abilities and skills of the slave - possibly even of the assistant, if she supervises. Railroading the arena champion into physical submission for example, against the player's wishes, isn't just frustrating but also unplausible. Plus the player will wonder what in terms of RP is the point of a skilled fighter, when she can only defend herself in the arena.

As for possibly injecting fights into such surprise-events, one way to plausibly avoid permanent death, would be to not kill the slave/assistant at 0hp, but instead simply continue with loss consequences and (treatable) injuries.

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Let me guess: The options are pushed into the array in one order, but then are selected in the switch block in the opposite order - amrite?
QSP doesn't have switch statements. Or arrays. You'll see stuff that look like array declarations, but behind-the-scenes they're just dictionaries whose keys happen to be consecutive integers.

So there's no accidental fallthrough or push/pop mistakes; it's just sloppy code in the if-elseif logic.
I mean, seriously - this is a PORN GAME - yet active sex, as well as the lust mechanics (i'll get to those later) are the probably worst designed and most buggy aspects of the game (while it shines in other aspects). Priorities?
If you check the author's blog, he's focused on immersing the player into the character/role. And supporting a wide range of perverted fetishes. And world-building. Gameplay isn't his focus, nor is UI organization and accessibility.

The whole "Active Sex" feature was added fairly late in development. Its design is somewhat rushed, and there are many bugs in its implementation. The "overfucked" issue could probably be fixed, but beware of feature-creep here -- the code is brittle and expansion may not be worth the effort.

I suppose from a programmer POV, the situation is that changing usage of the global flags would be too much a nightmare to refactor.
QSP handles dictionaries as references; it's very simple to swap characters between gameplay roles ("slots") with very little code.
Code:
!move slave to a home cryo cell with replacement
temp = slave_state
slave_state = iced_state
iced_state = temp
The problem is that this snippet can only handle the dictionary itself, so you then need 50+ lines of followup code to swap the various globals flags and named variables.

The best solution would be to merge all of the named variables and globals into the dictionaries. $slave_name becomes slave["name"], master_str becomes master["str"], slave_food_portion becomes slave["food_portion"], and so on. Then you could eliminate those bloated swap methods, players would suffer fewer bugs (because swap methods would not accidentally "miss" variables), and each girl would retain her rules+memories+thoughts whenever she's shuffled around.

The only complication would be time -- rules can be semi-permanent, but memories and thoughts ought to fade away. Currently, most of the "end of day" logic is applied to the slave girl only.

But, as you point out, the refactoring and testing workload is considerable.
regardless of stats slaves barely build up ANY lust by themselves
This is partially a cultural thing. We see the category "porn game" and we expect a sex romp focused on gratification. But the author's vision is more about dominance. So his code deliberately creates a huge disparity between male and female sex drives, to the point that the player is compelled to rape women during gameplay (and deal with the consequences and/or think about the meaning of their actions). He might say "that's a feature, not a bug."

In narrative terms, the formula seems reasonably fair. Almost every girl in this game has been magically "kidnapped" - torn away from her family and the world that she's known. Then she's stripped naked, branded, sold at auction, stuffed into a filthy basement cell, fed garbage (or starved), beaten for disobedience, frequently raped, and worked to exhaustion every day in painful and degrading "training sessions." Her thoughts are focused on denial, loss, regret, pain, survival, and escape. The CG frequently undermines this message (and misleads the player) because it usually shows a girl who is clean, well-fed, coiffed, attractive, healthy, and happy.

If you actually buy her some nice things, make her happy, and allow her to rest, then she'll eventually think positively about sex.

Or you can use the Trainer to assign the Nymphomania trait.

Why? Because combat rewards are RANDOM!
I agree in general with your assessment of the combat system. The UI does a poor job of presenting information, explaining threats, or telegraphing consequences. The system seems essentially random until the player learns how to exploit it. The difficulty curve is broken.

There's some built-in logic for "filtering" character stats. It's used when custom-ordering a slave via the guild purchaser. It could conceivably be hooked into the combat system:
  • player wins battle
  • game generates random girl
  • game simulates an auction on the new girl
  • if {girlAuctionValue} < {battleDifficulty}, reroll until you get an acceptable girl
  • each time that the reroll counter reaches 50, reduce the reward threshold by 10%
    • when the player wins a very tough battle, we want the randomizer to handout a subpar reward instead of running to infinity
This wouldn't fix the unfair/unreasonable difficulty, but it would at least give players a reason (PHAT LOOT) to attempt the tough battles. The system currently encourages save-scumming, which is bad design.
Heck, the coding is just 3 minutes work, per topic - phrasing the responses is more work.
Are you volunteering to write the responses? :p

QSP code collaboration is a pain-in-the-ass because every single change invalidates saves, and because the code isn't amenable to version-control repositories or diff/merge operations (unless you're willing to run the python scripts constantly).

Hence, the text content (e.g. emotional response variations) usually needs to be written first, and then sent off to which masochistic sonofabitch has decided to champion the project. "I could write all of the if conditions, with placeholder strings, in five minutes" is true, but not necessarily useful. QSP provides no compile warnings (e.g. misspelled variables names, premature block closure) and so code merges require careful attention -- it might take someone three minutes to hand-merge your code into the official branch. If you have the knack for it, then creative contributions may be more useful than technical ones.

rynak

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

In narrative terms, the formula seems reasonably fair. Almost every girl in this game has been magically "kidnapped" - torn away from her family and the world that she's known. Then she's stripped naked, branded, sold at auction, stuffed into a filthy basement cell, fed garbage (or starved), beaten for disobedience, frequently raped, and worked to exhaustion every day in painful and degrading "training sessions."
Nope, that's not how i treat the relevant slaves.

If you actually buy her some nice things, make her happy, and allow her to rest, then she'll eventually think positively about sex.
Again, that's what i do and it still doesn't happen here. I have one which has pretty much everything maxxed out - heck, i'm not even going to sell her, cause there's no reason to invest so much, and then merely get a few thousand. Instead, she's my invincible assistant.

Everything about her is maxxed to the limit: Stats, mood, relationship, equipment. The only thing not maxxed is Empathy, which has been stuck on "sensitive" from the start - it never ever moved even a single notch. By now i think it's impossible to raise empathy above that level - only decrease it. I'm thinking so, because with other slaves i was able to raise it to that level, but at some point also gave up when it wouldn't go beyond that. I've tried all the erotic rewards, hot spring, garden, vaginal vibe, denial - it just seems to max at "sensitive".

Anyways, even that person without vag balls will take anywhere from 6-10 days before lust is maxxed. With vaginal vibe i can max it DAILY. Such a large discrepancy, even for an unreasonably maxxed out slave, pretty much means that whatever "natural" lust gain there might be for a "happy" slave is insignificant. Or, i haven't found that ONE important thing that makes a difference - similiar to that "encourage"-stuff >_>

Or you can use the Trainer to assign the Nymphomania trait.
"I'm sorry, i can't do that, dave."

V2 doesn't have that feature, and in any case only the assistant slot appears to be readable in my game, while the save slot apparently fails to load.

The newer version crashes on launch, tells me i don't have permission (XP SP3 on admin account, .NET 3.5).

Are you volunteering to write the responses? :p
(Limited) Yes.

I can't promise to finish ALL possible responses, and i'm not too good with writing those for the "fear/despair" roles. The others however i could handle.

Condition: I need a dump of the topics and current responses. Don't want to spend hours in the game, just to find and extract them.

QSP provides no compile warnings (e.g. misspelled variables names, premature block closure) and so code merges require careful attention
What is it with remarkable and unique designers, again and again picking an exotic platform that is a PITA? Seen this multiple times in the past. Entire projects died when the original dev dropped them, despite of massive community interest and available sourcecode - because the code and especially the platform was a deadend (in some cases, with documentation of the language and compiler only being available in japanese).

Elephant in the room: Savegame compatibility
jack9tails is in the same boat as flash games.

"What?"

That's right. Oh sure: Flash games do have issues with saves for technically completely different reasons, but the CONSEQUENCES are identical: The language you use breaks your saves. To frequently churn out updates, AND have players bother to download them, you need to implement your own save system.

At this moment, i imagine anyone in here involved in coding this game, raises his hand in rejection: "No way! Get the hell away from me satan! Do you even realize what a headache this would be to maintain?"

Yes, i do. I'm a programmer myself (though, i prefer design, interface and content). The thing is this: No matter how high the effort - you've got no other choice! That is, unless you don't care about people downloading your work.

Let me explain this by comparing the games from Fenoxo and Nuku. Both create textbased hentai games with a bit too much furry content and too many horsecocks. Both projects are partially community projects, in that they rely on a lot of contract and fan work. Both work on a donation model. Both are well established and release updates DAILY.

And yet, until perhaps a year ago, barely anyone had heard of Nuku. Even now, his project still is a barely noticable shadow, completely dwarfed by Fenoxo. That is despite the former having arguably more content.

Why? Well, one reason certainly is the interface. Fen's games run in a well designed GUI. Nuku's game runs in an interactive fiction interpreter (no, you dont have to type in verbs - it works with clickable links/menu options - still ugly though).

There's a second reason though: Savegame compatibility.

Nuku releases daily, and breaks saves daily.

Fen releases daily, and has NEVER EVER BROKEN A SAVE.

That's because until about a year ago, FSurvival (Nuku) delegated all responsibility to the engine in which it was programmed. And just like QSP, that engine breaks saves whenever a new build is released.

Fen instead understood the importance of savegame compatibility years ago, and almost from the start implemented serialized saves to files in his custom format, instead of relying on flash storage (CoC/TiTS is coded in flash).

As a result, fans grabbed Fen's daily updates with haste the minute they were uploaded. FSurvival players instead postponed updates as long as they could - with a game possibly taking months, this meant most players were basically months behind the latest version. How do you think does that affect the willingness to donate for new features? How do you think does that affect user feedback?

Besides of a handful of hardcore fans, Nuku's project almost died in terms of user-interest, and at one point they were about to close shop. Only when they finally understood that users don't like to download stuff that breaks their own data DAILY, and implemented partial save export/import, did that situation improve.

Savegame compatibility is more important than even crashbugs, for games that are updated frequently, and where saves have a long shelflife. In a way, it kinda is a general mantra in IT: The ability and will to backup and restore, has higher priority than bugs and vulnerabilities.

The good news is you don't have to serialize everything. It would be sufficient to serialize those things, which the users care about the most, and which is hard to recover from. For slaves, that for example would be their stats - temporary mood, reward-tracking, equipment, and so on is something players can recover midterm, but i.e. the skill and loyality of their favorite assistant - that takes HOURS. Same for of course the bank balance and master stats.

(Reworked) Slave work proposal:
----------------------------------------------

(The following mechanics have changed since i first posted them on ULMF. Goals/reasoning remain unchanged, but the mechanics and values have been reworked)

As most have noticed, quite unusually for the genre, in jack9tails slaves cannot be assigned to work. While hgg-mod has introduced some type of work with the barn, that implementation is only concerned with making money. That's because they're working in a "private" environment, instead of in public.

Public work however could address many more things than just income:

- Practically unlimited freedom in coming up with scenarios. If you got the entire gameworld as the setting, you don't have to come up with excuses on how something is to be possible at home, nor do you have to implement new unique infrastructure (as was neccessary with the barn).

- The above also means solving the problem of some skills no longer being useful and their scenes being accessable, once a slave has mastered the skill. Right now, those skills only seem to be there, to raise sales value, while having no practical application.

- It can inherently address the fame problem as a bonus. After all, when a slave works in public, it's easy to justify that it might gain publicity that way.

Technically, besides of coming up with some nice textbits, i wouldn't worry too much about art, since for most tasks, you could for the time being recycle existing pics.

Designwise, i'd propose it to work somewhat like this...

Costs/Requirements:
- Assigning a slave to work requires that it has at least 2 energy left

- After work, energy will be set to -1...-3 (depending on difficulty/work type)

- After work, cleanliness decreases by -1...-3, but at least to the value -1...-3 (i'm assuming 0 to mean blue). Again, depending on difficulty/work type.

- An important consequence of the above costs is, that work will in practice take up the majority of TWO days, since on the 2nd day, the slave would have to recover health and energy. Hence, you cannot spam work daily, without degrading healh. This is important for the rewards detailed further down.

- Working costs 3 calories flat.

- Slaves gain no experience from working (just like assignments)

Rewards:
- We compute a success-value, ranging from 1-6. To do this we first calculate the average of all relevant skills, current slave morale, and slave rank if fame were already maximum (hence, not limited by beauty). Ratio: 5:3:2 for Skills:Morale:UncappedRank. This will result in a value between 1-6. Next we compute a random value between +1.0 and -1.0, and add it to the result. Finally, we round to an integer (careful! Proper rounding, not floor/ceil!), and minmax it to 1-6.

- If the success value is >2, the slave gains fame, at a rate of perhaps 1/4 of an arena fight (since you can work more often, than take part in arena fights), but no higher than the success value (in practice, this means it will be difficult to raise fame above the work-relevant skills, and it will be almost impossible to reach max fame, unless the slave "deserves" that rank, because of the "UncappedRank" aspect).

- Monetary rewards, based on success value: 1 = failure, 2 = failure, 3 = 12-17 sparks, 4 = 15-20 sparks, 5 = 18-24 sparks, 6 = 22-28 sparks.

- Keep in mind that because of the health/energy cost, work is only sustainable every 2nd day at most, so the average daily income will be just half of the above values. It thus barely pays the bills - it's not even a profit! And yet, even though it thus doesn't replace selling slaves, it can be very useful and lucrative. That's because if you maintain an assistant, worker and slave-in-training, then the worker already pays the majority of the bills, so the revenue from a slave sale is mostly profit. Perhaps more importantly, a well trained worker can buy you time - when the majority of the bills are paid, you're less under time pressure, and can suddenly afford to spend more time on raising high-rank slaves, instead of forever churning out cheap ones, just to keep up with the bills. Hence, similiar to an assistant, a good worker is an investment into the future: The assistant can take care of the chores and compensate skills, while the worker can take care of a large share of the bills.

Considerations for future additions:
If in the future you'd like to expand this with more expensive to implement features, then my one suggestion is this: Please do NOT introduce the possibility of randomly losing a slave! The cost/reward ratio doesn't justify such a risk. Raising rewards also wouldn't work, because at low skill the risk would probably be too high, yet at high skill level the slave would be too valueable to risk it at all. You CAN introduce the equivalent of RECOVERABLE "accidents" with a major cost, but please refrain from anything permanent or semi-permanent - it would make the option unfeasible, so almost no one would want to use it. Another thing to keep in mind is railroading: If you decide to implement "accidents/surprises", consider the abilities and skills of the slave - possibly even of the assistant, if she supervises. Railroading the arena champion into physical submission for example, against the player's wishes, isn't just frustrating but also unplausible. Plus the player will wonder what in terms of RP is the point of a skilled fighter, when she can only defend herself in the arena.

As for possibly injecting fights into such surprise-events, one way to plausibly avoid permanent death, would be to not kill the slave/assistant at 0hp, but instead simply continue with loss consequences and (treatable) injuries.

stuntcock42

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

Nuku releases daily, and breaks saves daily.
Does he? I stopped following it a while back, but my recollection was that the ongoing progress relied on other authors and contributors. Nuku himself was working mostly on the multiplayer.
That's because until about a year ago, FSurvival (Nuku) delegated all responsibility to the engine in which it was programmed. And just like QSP, that engine breaks saves whenever a new build is released.
Yes, but this was done for similar reasons:

inform and QSP use memory-dump save/load, which means that they exhibit perfect game-state reproduction without requiring any programming skill (e.g. XML parsing, serialization, float/int casting, etc). FS uses this approach because it encourages contributions from "authors" rather than limiting its community to "programmers." QSP developers seem to use the save/load system as a crutch during early development because it enables very rapid prototyping: you can focus on writing new UI, narrative, and gameplay content without constantly playing "catch up" with the save/load code. Eventually the shortcomings of the memory-save system become apparent, and then we realize that the codebase is a sprawling shitpile and nobody wants to rewrite all of their code (and begin to actually test the manual save/load behaviour!).

Nuku understands this stuff. The multiplayer version of FS has a steady update cycle, decent change-management, and an approach to retcon/rebalancing which avoids long "downtime" events and preserves (where possible) players' characters as well as custom content that they've added to the world (via the normal MUD tools).

Savegame compatibility is more important than even crashbugs, for games that are updated frequently
Agreed. This is an important lesson for any H-game designers or developers who are following this thread, but it's not a fair criticism of OldHuntsman. That guy has been working on his games for years as an amateur solo endeavour, with minimal input from others (except occasional bug reports). His dev practices aren't amenable to collaboration, modding, patching, or rapid updates, but they were never supposed to be.

The good news is you don't have to serialize everything. It would be sufficient to serialize those things, which the users care about the most, and which is hard to recover from.
This was actually something that I had originally planned to build into the trainer - an import/export feature which would help users to move data between mutually-incompatible versions of the game. You might lose quest progress, but you'd at least keep your main character and your girls.

It proved ineffective because too much of the data is in free-floating variables. I can consistently find the dictionaries and import/export them, but the addresses of the free variables migrate with each code change. So I'd need to scan them down for every mod version and maintain a huge library of known offsets. Players would need to specify exactly which game version they're importing from or exporting to (or I'd need to apply some clever fingerprinting on the .qsp files themselves). It didn't seem to be worth the effort, because new patches stopped appearing and most players eventually accepted the savegame-incompatibility problem.
What is it with remarkable and unique designers, again and again picking an exotic platform that is a PITA?
In this case, the answer is "Russia." Pretty much all of the QSP content is created by Russian indie interactive-fiction writers. I can't explain its popularity - it's free, but so are countless other packages. It's not especially portable or compatible. The UI options (e.g. animation) are extremely limited. The math library is nonexistent (no floating-point numbers, no trig) and substring functions are notably absent. Object-orientation is out. The QSP dev team provides tech support in Russian, but the actual code syntax (reserved words) is entirely English. IDGI. Perhaps QSP was included in some Russian grade-school "introduction to computer programming" class and a few people continued to use it even when they grew up and should have moved on to proper tools.

It's worth noting that OldHuntsman has migrated from QSP to ren'Py for his next project.

anyone know how to edit qsp saves?
It's a compressed memory dump with a crude checksum. Because it's compressed, you won't be able to search for obvious values (e.g. "my bank account value is $154243, so I'll find the HEX version of that and increase it!"). Even if you did find the appropriate index, attempting to alter the file manually would almost certainly corrupt it.

Save-editing isn't really feasible because a hypothetical editor application would need to have the same code (or at least - the same memory allocation footprint) as the game itself. If you're really committed to this idea, you could alter the code and put a "click here to cheat" button somewhere on the UI.