What's new

Opinion on GoR

Opinion on GoR

• I prefer it, and don't mind it at all.

Votes: 111 36.5%
  • I don't prefer it, but I don't hate it, I'm just here for the H.

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • It's kind of annoying to have to lose a fight to see the H, when I want to win and still get my H.

Votes: 60 19.7%
  • I hate GoR, if I have to go through one more set of dialogue for a fight I had to forfeit for H, I w

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • It varies depending on the game, there are times when it feels necessary, times when it feels pointl

Votes: 86 28.3%

• Total voters

Thronico

Demon Girl
Reputation score
So, I've found myself playing a lot of games with GoR lately, and I was curious as to everyone else's opinion on it. I find myself to be a pretty competitive guy, at least when it comes to RPG's, so I hate losing fights.

GoR is kind of based around losing fights, especially encouraging you to do so on purpose. Does anyone else not like this? Whenever I see a game has CG's or something similar locked behind GoR, it kind of puts me off because of how adverse to losing I am.

And I know, I could just make a save, lose, then keep playing after loading, but there are games like the Holy Grail of Alharan, for example, where you lose against monsters for her to gain lewdness and such. I understand the reasoning behind it and all, I just don't really like it.

A game circle that I think does the whole thing really well is Shoku. The heroine you control gets more and more powerful and your objective is to win fights, while the world around her corrupts her entirely, rather than when you lose fights.

What are your thoughts on it?

AnonTheHuman

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: Opinion on GoR

I'm sure the only reason it exists is so certain characters can have h-scenes when they otherwise wouldn't have one due to their (starting) personality/morals/beliefs. Not everyone wants to play as a slutty bimbo in every game so this is a sort of compromise.

But still, for me personally, there better be some damn fine artwork or animation for me to give it a try longer than 5 minutes.

OP
Thronico

Thronico

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I'm sure the only reason it exists is so certain characters can have h-scenes when they otherwise wouldn't have one due to their (starting) personality/morals/beliefs. Not everyone wants to play as a slutty bimbo in every game so this is a sort of compromise.

But still, for me personally, there better be some damn fine artwork or animation for me to give it a try longer than 5 minutes.
Good point, kind of forgot that the goal isn't always the corruption of the lead.

Bryanis

Evard's Tentacles of Forced Intrusion
Reputation score

The point of GoR is to lose to the oponents and get screwed.

Some game are based on it because the girl aren't slutty.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of losing on purpose just to get a rape scene.
I prefer the game that unlock the scene in the gallery when you win the fight.

as AnonTheHuman said, it allow for more character to have sex with the MC.

But I think some GoR can be quite nice when well made - when look at "the girl in the red slave collar" ( http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=2844 ) for exemple, GoR isn't just a rape, but you got to see how the heroine life end up from that point. That's a good kind of GoR in my opinion.

Game 100% GoR aren't my thing but I know some love that. A few well mad GoR (or rape on defeat but not game over) is ok if the rest of the scere are acquired more normally :p

On the other hand, what said above work for rpg. If you take scroller / platformer, it's hard to make one without the GoR

OP
Thronico

Thronico

Demon Girl
Reputation score

The point of GoR is to lose to the oponents and get screwed.

Some game are based on it because the girl aren't slutty.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of losing on purpose just to get a rape scene.
I prefer the game that unlock the scene in the gallery when you win the fight.

as AnonTheHuman said, it allow for more character to have sex with the MC.

But I think some GoR can be quite nice when well made - when look at "the girl in the red slave collar" ( http://www.ulmf.org/bbs/showthread.php?t=2844 ) for exemple, GoR isn't just a rape, but you got to see how the heroine life end up from that point. That's a good kind of GoR in my opinion.

Game 100% GoR aren't my thing but I know some love that. A few well mad GoR (or rape on defeat but not game over) is ok if the rest of the scere are acquired more normally :p

On the other hand, what said above work for rpg. If you take scroller / platformer, it's hard to make one without the GoR
Yeah, but The Girl in the Red Slave Collar also has a lot of event H-scenes as well. They only aspect of that game that kind of let me down was the pseudo-implementation of a BF system. You had skills that allowed her to open herself up to the enemy to be fucked to try and take them out via their Vitality. But she could never go on the aggressive, mildly disappointing.

The GoR was really well-implemented, but that game also had a rogue-like type system to it, where you needed to lose at some point so you could reset the timeline and grind up more levels and such.

I see where you're coming from though, it's not necessarily the scenes themselves, nor WHY they're implemented that I dislike. It's the tediousness of losing a fight I know I can win.

Take Ariadne for example, great game, with great event-H, but this one part in particular with these bandits, it has rape when you lose the fight, so I often found myself caught in a dilemma.
Strive to win this difficult battle as best as I can, lose, quit game because I have to rewatch entire H-scene, start fight again and keep trying to win said difficult fight, OR, lose, take the H, lose all the items winning the fight would net you, and forever soak in the fact that you got pub-stomped by some bandits.

I guess, the whole idea with GoR is that the strong and smart don't get fucked. But I don't know, I want to slutify the lead and be a badass at the same time.

Either way, it's NOT like GoR is objectively bad, its just tedious and takes me out of it. Ruins my focus, I guess.

AnonTheHuman

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score

it's NOT like GoR is objectively bad, its just tedious
Coming from any game, that's always the problem with GoR.

RPG - Find an enemy and keep waiting around until they finally kill you, made even worse by some games only having a "defend" button to waste a turn without using an item or attacking. Also, you're fucked if you have too high of a health/defense stat.

Platformer/Scroller - Nine times out of ten you're out of luck if the game has no checkpoints in the middle of the level. Even worse when some enemies are only further in certain parts of the stage.

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I only like it as a supplement to H that takes place within gameplay. It makes losing go down easier in such cases, but if it's the only source it's a pain - it means you have to lose and set yourself back to see it, which especially in poorly-coded or just plain difficult games is frustrating and counter-intuitive. Especially if you have to lose to each enemy to unlock the scene in the gallery.

OP
Thronico

Thronico

Demon Girl
Reputation score

I only like it as a supplement to H that takes place within gameplay. It makes losing go down easier in such cases, but if it's the only source it's a pain - it means you have to lose and set yourself back to see it, which especially in poorly-coded or just plain difficult games is frustrating and counter-intuitive. Especially if you have to lose to each enemy to unlock the scene in the gallery.
Your username alone makes me want to +rep you. But aside from that, I can handle H scenes upon losing when it's not typical RPG maker combat, where grinding makes you a god, because there's a higher likelihood of me actually seeing the H-Scene, or animation as I prefer my GoR to be, personally.

I tend play corruption-based games almost exclusively, save for the few dungeon explorers and such. I think the character being violated upon losing and then carrying on with the game without loading a save, or Rape on Loss as I call it, is a lot better overall for a majority of H-Games. Give me that sweet sweet continuity.

Coming from any game, that's always the problem with GoR.

RPG - Find an enemy and keep waiting around until they finally kill you, made even worse by some games only having a "defend" button to waste a turn without using an item or attacking. Also, you're fucked if you have too high of a health/defense stat.

Platformer/Scroller - Nine times out of ten you're out of luck if the game has no checkpoints in the middle of the level. Even worse when some enemies are only further in certain parts of the stage.
Platformers where you only get the H upon going completely down are REALLY bad about that. I agree, and I think that's a part of the reason why all the Platformers lately have been so awful. Cheap animation work, with shit mechanics, equals a shitty game, H or not.

I wish it was a staple for an RPG Maker game or WOLF with GoR to at least have a suicide item or skill. And make it cheap if it's an item, for the love of god.

Tesseract

Reputation score

I don't mind it, but not as a focus. Games that focus on it are usually just hiding bad gameplay. Feels like a cop-out most of the time. If you want to cater solely to people who want to role-play a losing hero/heroine, then at least make it fun to do so.

Keyen

Reputation score

If a game has Gor, it needs 3 things:
-First, if the scenes are missables (example, boss), the game has to tell the player LOUDLY AND CLEARLY there is a Gor here. Because I fucking hate missing a scene because I played a game normally (= trying to win) and miss things because of it. A good example of how it should be done is Ariadne.
-You obviously need a savepoint right before. Fuck you, Raidy. Worst Gor ever because of that.
-Optional, but a way of killing yourself (or at least, dying quickly) is a huge plus. Sometimes, it takes a long times for the ennemy to kill you. Really frustrating.

Ps: I'm not talking about 2D sidescroller, I don't play this kind of games. More like RPGmaker games, or things like that.

MrMe

Lurker
Reputation score

What really gets my goat is the GoR games where the MC is an eager cum dumpster.

"oooouuu, please don't rape me... too hard"
Kinda takes the varnish off.

ermiz

Jungle Girl
Reputation score

I often find it obnoxious if I'm trying to see everything and there aren't very frequent saves or checkpoints, but it panders to my fetish of people being defeated and raped so I'm willing to deal with it.

habisain

Tentacle God
Reputation score

I think there also needs to be distinguishing between GoR and Rape on Lose. I'm perfectly fine with RoL, particularly in a game where there are consequences - think like MaidenSnow Eve. GoR on the other hand is a terrible idea in almost all circumstances.

SoulBreaka

Cthulhu
Reputation score

There's a reason why I prefer CR over GOR, although they usually come in hand in hand cause the MC can still get screwed but win in the end instead of just starting all over again and again. Plus it isn't 100 percent linear like the GoR scene as well.

Timmy!

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

GoR does create situations where you have to lose on purpose and sometimes it makes the game tedious to play, but it is still necessary. The thing about about GoR is that it creates multiple routes to a bad end and it shows the aftermath when you lose a battle, which combat rape can't replace.

I still like combat rape more than GoR, but GoR is a fetish of its own and it can't be replaced by CR. A good example is Malice & Machine where I'm disappointed every time I see a generic game over screen when you lose.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

reward sex feels hollow to me, like take mario for instance...

id have more fun watching peach get fucked if i lose than getting to fuck peach if i won... i think its cause the bad guys can do kinkier stuff

Jesus

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit
Staff member
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

I tend play corruption-based games almost exclusively, save for the few dungeon explorers and such. I think the character being violated upon losing and then carrying on with the game without loading a save, or Rape on Loss as I call it, is a lot better overall for a majority of H-Games. Give me that sweet sweet continuity.
This is one of the most underexploited possibilities. Many of those games though, will just have you continue from the starting town or the start of the level. The best way though is one I've only seen two games do - Wolfenstahl's Paperheads and the demo of Ghost Hunter Vena (In which it's getting removed for the full game); When you lose, the MC is moved to a separate part of the level, reserved for these loss scenarios, bound in some way, and in PH's case, you have to complete a struggle minigame before an enemy returns to rape the MC again, after which you get GOR too. It's the best of all worlds; Combat sex that's lengthy and survivable enough not to put you at huge risk of loss immediately afterwards, maintaining continuity through avoiding hard resets if not, and GOR on absolute failure. Honestly any aspiring adult game dev, especially for action/adventure, should look to Paperheads as an archetype because of the things it does so well in this regard.

Last edited:

Hallerai

Mystic Girl
Reputation score

Well GoR is a fetish in of itself. The idea of "where are they after" is appealing and I know people that seek it out specifically. There's a certian amount of appeal with the hero(ine) losing to the final boss and then being turned into a cum dumpster in the aftermath, or you know, they lost to a random orc and get a GoR as an orc birthing machine.

azurezero

Tentacle God
Reputation score

This is one of the most underexploited possibilities. Many of those games though, will just have you continue from the starting town or the start of the level. The best way though is one I've only seen two games do - Wolfenstahl's Paperheads and the demo of Ghost Hunter Vena (In which it's getting removed for the full game); When you lose, the MC is moved to a separate part of the level, reserved for these loss scenarios, bound in some way, and in PH's case, you have to complete a struggle minigame before an enemy returns to rape the MC again, after which you get GOR too. It's the best of all worlds; Combat sex that's lengthy and survivable enough not to put you at huge risk of loss immediately afterwards, maintaining continuity through avoiding hard resets if not, and GOR on absolute failure. Honestly any aspiring adult game dev, especially for action/adventure, should look to Paperheads as an archetype because of the things it does so well in this regard.

ROL is just soft GOR really... though it is nice to use those circumstances as a corruption system.
i'd add corruption points to damsel quest 3 if i didnt have a 3 character party. i also dont have a system for letting the girls wander on their own so even if they were corrupt it would be hard to have them have sex or prostitute if the others were there too

censuur

Tentacle God
Reputation score

Can we make the distinction that GoR isn't "sex on lose" it's literally the game ends with you being fucked and you get thrown to the title screen. Sex on lose is fine, especially if the game changes based on how you proceed, this allows you to have games where you try hard at a virgin run, slut the character out or simply accept your fate as it happens (i.e. you accept your losses without retrying, whatever consequences that has)

GoR is almost always "bad" when losing is a requirement for unlocking the scenes, losing on purpose isn't challenging or interesting, and while the scene itself might be worthwhile the activity for getting it on purpose will always be tedious. Locking a GoR scene behind bad decisions (going to fight a boss without x item = auto lose) can either work or be even worse (picked up item x while exploring and are locked out of the scene now) and in the end it's almost always better to have alternative means to unlock these scenes. Some games straight up let you surrender, others unlock loss scenes on victory or let you unlock the gallery and whatever you missed once you beat the main game. Ultimately though, failing on purpose just seems like a baffling concept to me, that I'd rather go without.