What's new

Piece of Advice

ShadowWolfSBI

Chief Spam Hunter Why Are You Making Me Do This
Former Moderator
RP Moderator
Reputation score
If you're ever looking at getting a computer, avoid getting an e-Machines one. It'll be alright at first, but it's a bitch to upgrade one, and once things start getting some age, they'll lag all to fuck and back.

This might deserve to be placed elsewhere, but I'm a little too pissed off to care at the moment.

Ili

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Piece of Advice

Well, funnily enough, I have an even better piece of advice: If you're buying a computer, get it custom-built. You'll likely get far more bang for your buck than buying from a manufacturer, and upgrading headroom is manifique!
Only issues arising come from 1) if you don't know your hardware and 2) if you dunno how to put them together. But those can be solved.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

although dell are pretty much the spawn of satan, they do have 1 redeming feature:
a three year come to your house on any working day with free repairs. now that is awesome and we worth having to reformat as soon as you get the computer as it comes chock full of spyware.

aika

El Presidente
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

I just format my computer myself.

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

no no no aika, this is hardware faults including free replacement parts.

i had a friend who got a fancy pants top of the range laptop with this and after about a year their graphics card had turned into a dust magnet. one phone call and 5 hours later they had a new graphics card.

dogstile

Lurker
Reputation score

my experience with dell?

custom ordered laptop, we put it together ourselves, all with dell parts and somehow kept the warranty, and the speakers broke

we got new ones 20 phone calls and 3 months with 2 visits from computer tech's later

its lucky i have headphones

Kusanagi

Chief Nippleseer
Reputation score

About the only computers I've ever used that weren't custom built were the ones at school, and the Hewlett Crappard my dad has now.

Oh yeah, and the Sony Vaio laptop, but that was short-lived, as the screen brokeded.

I have to agree that custom built is the way to go, just be sure you or your buddy who's building it for you - and who you should thank a million times for doing so - knows what to do.

Chibichibi

Big Sis
Reputation score

This computer is custom built. And is now a POS. I'm just going to order one from the intratubes, and build it there.

lurker

Hentai Master
Reputation score

no no no aika, this is hardware faults including free replacement parts.
I has a new hardrive for my laptop because they do that!

dogstile

Lurker
Reputation score

my experience with dell?

custom ordered laptop, we put it together ourselves, all with dell parts and somehow kept the warranty, and the speakers broke

we got new ones 20 phone calls and 3 months with 2 visits from computer tech's later

its lucky i have headphones
i meant computer, not laptop, whoops

Tassadar

Panda King
RP Moderator
Reputation score

I suggest just learning to build your own from parts. It's a lot cheaper. My current desktop cost $600 for the parts, to get it pre-assembled would have cost over $1000. Can't do that for laptops though. :mad:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Interesting douchebag choice...