Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Pride and Prejudice (Oamp)

The mansion is almost the opposite of the outside as she makes her way to the great hall and unlike the library rather free of dust. As Lexwyn expected very few of her fellow kindred remained in the main hall of the ancient mansion. Four remained to be exact: a bearded, athletic man of obvious Welsh descent sat speaking with a woman of regal beauty in hushed tones. The other was another young woman of exceptional beauty who sat near by quietly strumming a lyre.

None of them looked up from their conversation though this was hardly surprising as Lexwyn had done little to make herself noticed as of yet. The two women reminded her of the Toreador she had met so many years in her earliest days as a Cainite and they seemed to fit the stereotype of that clan as well. Donegal or at least the one she assumed to be Donegal appeared both wise and athletic. Exactly as she expected of one from her own clan though the temper was not obvious at the moment.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn paused in the entry way. Donegal was who she wanted to talk to, but just interrupting was rather rude, by any standard. She shifted uncomfortably for a moment, looking for something to perhaps catch her eye in the room as a conversation piece. Gawking like a tourist may not be exactly the type of image she wanted to project, but she had to at least familiarize herself with her surroundings. One could tell a lot about a person, or people, by the objects they surrounded themselves with.

Of course, that was no way to start out, she needed someone to actually talk to first before she could probe like that, so Lexwyn eventually slid over to the woman playing the lyre. It was nice to have some ambiance, she supposed, though it had been a long long time since she had been in any situation even remotely calling for elegance. Lexwyn was never very good with an instrument herself, one of the few things she was willing to admit that she lacked talent for, but she had always appreciated a good gentle tune. Never to the level a toreador would, but it did get the mind thinking, sometimes. In her opinion it was a bit weird to be playing in a room with only a few people in it, disregarding practice sessions, but she would try not to judge on that alone. It could perhaps make a nice conversation starter, though. "Why hello there. A shame so few are here to listen, hmmm? The concluding piece for the night? I assume I have missed most of the excitement? I am Lexwyn, of clan Brujah, and who might you be?"

Eh, I see descriptions of three people, not four?

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The woman stops her playing and smiles gracefully, she is quite the beauty almost like a fairy queen from the legends. The woman nodded to a nearby seat and said. "I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I have been so obsessed with getting this composition just right since I first heard it. Unfortunately I am not quite up to the challenge. Music was never my strong point though I love it so."

She sets the lyre to the side and turns her rapt attention to Lexwyn. Her beauty is almost entrancing or perhaps she is using her presence as Lexwyn has learned. One can never really tell with such a power after all but it certainly makes the conversation seem enjoyable. "Lexwyn, of the learned clan, you say. One of our many newcomers, no doubt. I am Persephone, of the Toreador. I am sure you had already gathered that from my rather stereotypical habits."

Lexwyn notes that the woman speaking with Donegal has noticed her though she doesn't seem to be bothered so much as listening in. Her conversation with Donegal continues however though in a more muted fashion.

Quite right you are. I should have said you saw three people, though there is a fourth present. Think of it like a freebie spot check on the hideous lurker without actually seeing him.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Heh, well I suppose we have that in common. Though more often than not I've had to deal with the... rougher side of things, even when in high standing, I can appreciate some of the finer points of the arts." Lexwyn focused herself to try and stamp out any outside influence if such a thing was indeed being used. It helped that Lexwyn had never been one to oogle others in that way, really. She also glanced back at the other two occasionally, just a quick glance to let them know that she knew. No need to very forceful though, especially as she wasn't exactly talking about anything secretive for a change.

"A pleasure to meet you, Persephone." Lexwyn took the indicated chair. She caught the name's reference. Quite like a Toreador to pick such a pseudonym. "And so I hear. There seems to be quite the commotion around here. Never a dull moment, hmm?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Donegal and Isleena make a polite nod as though to welcome the newcomer's presence when they notice she has joined them. Isleena seems to take a bit more interest in their conversation than her partner, almost as if she is watching and judging a performance. More than likely that of her clan mate Persephone.

Persephone smiles serenely, the way she acts and looks seem to be the reason for the pull that Lexwyn feels more than any supernatural means. At least judging from the fact that it takes little effort on Lexwyn's part to ignore the feeling. She is perhaps the most breathtaking individual Lexwyn has ever met or even heard tell of except for perhaps in the Greek legends her sire would tell her about.

"No, there never really is a dull moment in such a large court. Mysterious disappearances, devious poisonings, and hideous creatures appearing as from myth to attack our kind. Of course here I am more obsessed with a simple piece of music than the goings on of the more powerful. I hope you don't think I'm vapid for caring more about music than such things.

We are both from clans known for their passion and humanity yet we never really seem to get along. At least so far as I know. You are doubtlessly smarter in that regard as you have already been released to your own ways. So what is it that brings you to this court: Political intrigue, simply traveling the world, or something more sinister perhaps?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn quirked her eyebrows. "Well, I have not heard of all those things just yet, but I'm sure they'll find their way to me soon enough." If she was still fully living, this would have been a great place for a sigh. "No, you may have the right idea. I too find a lot of bickerings of our kind... petty... though I suppose it is all a matter of perspective." Lexwyn had to admit, she rather liked this Persephone, for whatever reason. She may not have a cause, though Lexwyn really couldn't fault her too harshy for that, but Persephone likely shared her direct approach if she had a goal. Her face even turned downwards a bit upon hearing that this lady was still tightly bound to her sire.

"Mmm, well I'm afraid I'm just here to take care of some business regarding my home, really. It was actually not so long ago I was under the protective wing of my sire still, though it sounds like I had a much more pleasant relationship than you did." From what Lexwyn could gather, said sire may be within earshot. It might not be a wise idea to talk so openly, but something compelled her to try and win over Persephone. Deep down she somewhat feared she was already slipping into the deceitful ways of her kind, perhaps it was inevitable, but unlike most Cainites, she would probably make a kind mentor, if Lexwyn allowed herself to say so.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I certainly wouldn't say it's unpleasant, I doubt I could ever love someone as much as she. I just tire of feeling so much like a child at my age. Though I am told it's a common feeling for most of our kind. We can't all be methuselah like Prince Mithras after all, actually that's probably a good thing or none of us would ever have anything akin to friendship." Persephone answers her emotions betraying a mix of actual love and the powers of the blood bond in her words.

"Of course I don't feel so much like a child after the more important courtly affairs have died down such as now. It's only during such affairs of the higher and mightier that I feel so little. Such as earlier when I didn't even get a chance to see the gargoyle creature that was caught prowling the city." She says cheerfully before adding. "Though I'm not entirely sure I would want to see such a thing as it was said to be uglier than even the Nosferatu."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Mmmmmm..." So she misjudged a bit. It was bound to happen with her inexperience. "Well, I suppose I just don't like to waste time then, even if I do have an eternity. If I may ask, how do you pass the time, then, besides this?" Lexwyn did quirk her eyebrows at the mention of the "interesting" events this night. A gargoyle had little interest for her too. "As I said, the best tasks are ones self-assigned. Forget the court, what do you aspire to?"

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"I guess you could say that I spend most of my time trying to inspire those with more talent than I. Shallow though it might be I try to use my beauty to inspire more and newer music. It can be a little difficult while I am still learning the ins and outs of life amongst our kind but I feel that is where my true calling lies." Persephone says with a smile her eyes glinting as her attention wavers ever so slightly. As though she were caught up by some invisible music piece that only she can hear.

"We can't all be fighters or creators after all, someone has to inspire the fighters and creators. Wouldn't you agree, Lexwyn?"

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn glances back over at the other two as Persephone's attention wavers, wondering if they're the cause, or at the very least keeping tabs. "Well, that in and of itself is a goal, no? I suppose it would do, for now... We can all do whatever we put our minds to, dear Persephone. Us especially.... after all, we have all the time in the world, do we not?" Lexwyn twitched her eyebrows a different way, perhaps almost seductively, at least to some. It was starting to sound like Persephone was content as she was, for the most part, her words very much like the pampered teenagers she'd been used to back in her old home. It would be far from her to suggest she needed a rebellious phase, but maybe an 'awaking' would do. Sadly, she did not know how much time to this minor quest she would be able to devote, or even if she was the right person for the job. Maybe there was one last thing to try.

"But still... maybe someday someone would inspire you in turn, hmmm? You never know what might happen...."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The other pair seem to be finishing up their conversation as they both stand and Donegal lifts Isleena's hand to kiss it ever so gently. Isleena even gives the Brujah a peck on the cheek before turning and waiting patiently for Persephone to finish with her conversation. Her face betrays little emotion however indicating she is practiced in hiding her feelings.

Persephone shakes her head a bit as though blocking some distant distraction from her mind. Refocusing her attention on Lexwyn with an intrigued smile on her face she says. "I might actually enjoy someone inspiring me. Though I fear that will have to wait for some other day and time. Like you said we have plenty of time ahead of us to be rebellious."

She stands then and gives a small curtsy to Isleena before introducing her to Lexwyn. "Lexwyn. This is my sire Lady Isleena, the Toreador primogen. I'm sure we will get the chance to meet again some other time. Perhaps even sooner than we think. Fare thee well in the mean while."

Lady Isleena smiles as she offers her hand in greeting. "A pleasure, Lexwyn. I am afraid I must drag my dear childe away for the time being."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn secretly eyed Isleena as she said goodbye to Donegal. That was a bit strange... The abrupt end to her conversation with Persephone was too. Lexwyn wasn't sure she cared as much for her as she first thought. Maybe the clans were just too different after all, or maybe Isleena held a vastly superior sway over the girl indeed.

"Yes, of course. A pleasure to meet you." She accepted the greeting, putting on her politest face again. "Do not let me keep you. I actually have some business to attend with Donegal here too, if you please excuse me." She now glanced directly at the man. He may be confused for a moment, but Lexwyn would rather the other two leave before she explained herself. She had a good way of phrasing things all prepared for him, but outsiders need not be around to pick apart her story.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Of course." Is all the Toreador primogen says as she bows politely before making her exit from the room as elegantly as possible. Persephone trails closely behind though she steals a quick glance and smiles at Lexwyn before following her sire completely out.

Donegal has moved to a table where a few cups sit out by the time Isleena departs. He chooses a cup for himself and drinks deeply and grimaces as though the taste is horrible before setting it down once more. He obviously realizes that Lexwyn wishes to speak with him but he seems to be allowing her the first move.

Not entirely odd Lexwyn realizes as he likely knows by now that they are of the same clan. Her sire had explained very well that no to Brujah were alike and that the worst rivalries often were between clan mates.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

This would be another time Lexwyn would sigh if she still needed to breathe. She was really picking up on the passive-aggressiveness from the Toreador. A pity. Even more so that she feared Donegal might be the same way, judging by his reaction. No use complaining, though, such was the way of things.

"Greetings primogen. I am Lexwyn, from Wales. Perhaps you know my sire, Morgaina? She said that I might find you here and that we could discuss some important matters?" Lexwyn repeated her half-curtsy, holding to prompt courtly behavior again. She also sized Donegal up, hoping he wouldn't notice too much, but most likely it was a common reaction during the first meeting between two of her kind.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"So the fae queen has found a successor at long last. I doubt if I could teach you anything that such a storied elder could." Donegal says as he casts a look at the few remaining goblets on the table. Nodding his head towards them he says.

"There is little of importance for those of our clan in such a city as this. So overrun with Blue-bloods and Keepers as it is. The Toreador are more bearable but only because they at least realize the importance of humanity rather than simply viewing them as food and tools for the greater game of jyhad. If you wish some easy sustenance Roger always provides some refreshments for us to partake of. I can't vouch for the taste though it is strangely nourishing. best not to ask how it is made though.

Is there anything of particular importance you wish to know? I'm afraid there will be little chance of introductions other than the few you have already made. At least until tomorrow night."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn smirked slightly in agreement. She made it as clear as she could to Donegal that it was a similar appraisal of the Toreadors that was drawing her ire. "I fear I am inclined to agree, as much as I wish it was not so. I do hope that one day I am surprised by our associates by a bout of enlightenment." She ignored the goblets for the moment, not being particularly hungry, yet. What Donegal said about the contents didn't exactly inspire confidence. Either way, this fellow actually did surprise her. He seemed much more agreeable than she could have hoped for, even if it would still pay to be guarded.

"Yes, I'm afraid I came calling rather late. The journey did not allow me to time my arrival more carefully. I am glad I found you, though. It is indeed mostly the lay of the land, so to speak, that I would appreciate guidance on. Morgaina was indeed a good teacher, but skills are one thing. While finding proper nourishment and shelter is quite the skill too, asking around for those familiar with the area is much easier, no? You were quite right in that the city holds little interest for us. Personally, it is just the temporary location upon which I come to take care of a few... loose ends I suppose." Lexwyn gave Donegal a sly smile. Still polite, but departing from the somewhat forced tones she'd used with the Toreadors. In her own way, it was almost even a little bit flirtatious. "I know nothing is free, and times are particularly troublesome right now, but if you knew of a place I could stay at while residing in London I would be very much grateful. You seem very much like a man that can appreciate the simple deals, and no doubt we have a lot in common we could work together on."

It's hard describing exactly how Lexwyn is acting when there's no frame of reference for women behaving as such in the time period.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"They do have their benefits. If you can break past the unenlightened facades they present. If not they still have other uses and can make excellent scapegoats should one be needed." Donegal says in response before seeming to relax even more.

"There are few places to avoid within Mithras domain that I can think of. At least in regards to hunting. Avoid the forest near Castle Bayard and be extra careful in Southwark. If one objects to your feeding in either of those places it is because they are lupines or trying to establish domain.

If you are the enterprising sort you might try to establish a domain in Southwark yourself though competition is stiff. I myself am fairly well established in Black Friars near the river, one of the few places of learning in fair London. Finding a haven is simple enough in such a large city though finding the perfect location can be difficult. Do your interests lie in any specific area?" Donegal answers, his tone more relaxed than any she has conversed with in a long time. He is very much like any of the men she had known at her father's court. Perhaps a bit more of the older men like her father or uncles but none the less he was kindred in more than one way.

True, though Cainite society is much more egalitarian than that of the mortals so it won't seem as odd to Donegal.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Hmmm...." Truth be told, Lexwyn actually hadn't thought about the issue that much in detail. Options were good, but she tended to think about them in length, not make a quick decision. Having Donegal here waiting for an answer made things a bit more difficult, but perhaps he would have further comments if he hear her train of thought.

"Well, I wasn't looking for anything too difficult to settle into. Just some place where I could stay for a time, hopefully with the option of having little disturbance if I so desire." This was standard. Donegal would probably understand that. Even non-Brujah probably liked peace and quiet sometimes. "My main focus here, though, as surprising as it may be is observing the mortals. The new regime in place seems intent on making a mess of things in Wales too, and as you can imagine Morgaina and myself are not exactly thrilled with the thought of conflict and discord settling in on the domain." A rather nice way to put it, Lexwyn realized. Sure, there was more to it than that, but phrased like this made it seem almost reasonable to the rest of the kindred.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Donegal nodded his head thoughtfully as he listened to Lexwyn explain what she was looking for in more detail. He stroked his thick beard as he carefully answered. "So you want to remain where you can easily keep an eye on noble and peasant alike. I would suggest one of two neighborhoods as being the best choice. The area around the Guilded Noble is close enough to the tower and rich enough that it should allow you to observe the upper crust easily while still being near to the lower class. The other choice would be Westminster to the southeast though you'll have stiff competition from the Ventrue in that area."

He stopped stroking his beard and finished his goblet of blood before adding. "Of course you'll have little choice but to deal with the Warlords at some point as they tend to think of all of London as their own? The Guilded Noble is even owned by our conveniently missing seneschal Valerius but the neighborhood is large enough to allow you space to operate."

Last edited:

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn's lips curled down slightly in the now familiar expression. No doubt many Brujah shared it, she thought, now that she was sitting here with Donegal. "Well, if it can't be helped. Sadly that seems to be the general state of affairs. I'd rather not make it more difficult than need be, though, so I think I'll avoid dealing with the Ventrue for now... The are near the Guilded Noble it is then."

Lexwyn leaned back, taking a disarming, differential attitude. No doubt Donegal would appreciate that, and right now it wasn't like she was in a position to be taken advantage of anyway. "So, forgive me for my ignorance, but how exactly does one go about claiming a niche for themselves in a city without stepping on any toes? I have a few ideas for what to do next, but I'd rather hate for some court official to come knocking because I've decided to set up shop where someone else has already claimed."

Status
Not open for further replies.