Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score
Re: Pride and Prejudice (Oamp)

"The Gilded Noble is indeed owned and run by Valerius though the neighborhood is quite large and he controls little more than the inn. It would probably be the safest of your choices and it is one of the better hunting grounds in the city." Donegal says in response to Lexwyn's first query.

"Simply receiving acknowledgment in Mithras domain allows you to claim a small bit of his own as yours. Though you won't be able to control more than your own haven without plenty of power and further permission from our leaders." He adds.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Hmmm, sounds simple enough then. I would wager the other clans would not believe me, but truly I do not want to make a big splash with them just yet. Small will do. I suppose I should go there for a direct survey then, before the night grows old. It might take some time. Thank you for you help." Lexwyn nodded and waited a brief moment to see if Donegal had anything to add himself. If not she would attempt to find her way back out, hopefully remembering the way. "I believe we, however, will probably be seeing a lot of each other." Her farewell was deliberately left open for his interpretation.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Nobody wants to make a splash with the other clans, usually it can't be helped though. Actually most of us don't want to make a splash with our own clans when it comes down to it." Donegal says with a grin.

"I'm sure we'll run into each other again at some point. It seems almost impossible to avoid any of our kind despite the size of the city. Good luck, you just might need it." He says before moving towards one of the side rooms. He casts a parting wave in Lexwyn's direction as they both depart the main hall.

Moving back down the hallway, Lexwyn has little trouble finding her way back to the entrance. The mess caused by the zombie servant of Rodger is cleaned and another currently stands near the door. Staring as dumbly and with as little emotion as the first. Jarring her memory to the unpleasant experience she had dealt with earlier her hand went to the crumpled note she had received from Ulrich.

It seemed fate wanted her to head to the neighborhood around the Gilded Noble, for the address on the note was on the same street. Which should she visit first though?

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn wrinkled her lips in thought. She had almost forgotten the note, but Ulrich... he was kind memorable, to put it lightly. She should probably go to him first, as he did seem rather.... frantic, once more an understatement. Hopefully whatever she found would not take too much of her time, though, as finding a good place to call her own could take much much longer, if luck was not in her favor.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lexwyn began the trek back towards the city, her return went much smoother as she was able to find a well-rode path through the muck and mire. Her thoughts drifted to her sire's advice about the other clans as she walked. Most had only received a cursory explanation such as the Gangrel and the Cappadocian. Others had more exacting descriptions such as the Toreador, who so far had lived up to expectation.

Her thoughts drifted to two of the latter particularly: the Ventrue, who had led to the destruction of ancient Carthage, and the Malkavian, driven to insanity by the same thing that drove Brujah to anger. She would have to learn quickly to keep her Brujah temper in check if there were as many Ventrue in London as Donegal suggested. This Ulrich however with his eccentricities seemed very likely to be a Malkavian. Her sires exact words came to her as she passed through the gate into the bustling city. You can learn much from their words, as long as you stay wary of them.

Soon Lexwyn found herself along a busy street of inns and taverns, the neighborhood where Ulrich lived and where Donegal had suggested she look for a haven. She passed the Gilded Noble Inn on her left as she searched for the madman's address. A fine looking inn obviously catering to a higher class that she knew to be owned by the missing seneschal. Finally after another block of walking and half a block down a narrower side street she found the address. Not exactly what she had expected from a Malkavian, an apothecary shop and a nice one at that.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

The area was unassuming enough. Lexwyn took her time to absorb the surroundings and make note of any interesting places she might want to investigate, or any loners hanging around for feeding later. She kept up a little bit of her guard, but ventured into the shop that presumably belonged to Ulrich. There did not appear to be any reason for increased alarm, and from what Lexwyn had gleaned from her brief encounter, Ulrich would probably behave more normally as long as she didn't act out of the ordinary either, at least not right away.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The neighborhood is rather busy even compared to the rest of the city that she has seen. Feeding would indeed be easier here, or at least the finding of meals would there was an increased chance of being spotted as well. It also seems to be located in an area where the upper classes rub elbows with the lower class a bit more.

The shop itself is impeccably clean as she steps through the door, a small bell rings somewhere in the rear of the shop as the door shuts behind her. There are few lights as she might have surmised but enough that she can see easy enough. Though plenty of shadows remain as well.

The most telling sense is the smell of the various chemicals and powders lining the shelves and counters. Some of them pleasant but some are also quite odious as she looks for the unusual kindred of Ulrich.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

For once Lexwyn sighed with mild contentment, but had to put away the thoughts of later for now. "Ulrich?! I have arrived." She called out and looked around for where the strange man might be hiding. "Nice place you have here, I must say." A disarming, friendly tone might help, but Lexwyn was also at least somewhat impressed with the clean state of things. Sure she was used to roughing it, but a certain side of her still quite appreciated neat surroundings.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lexwyn's sense of smell was overwhelmed by the myriad chemicals and compounds on the shelves within the shop. Taking a step forward into the darkness of the large room she noticed a handful of dust motes scatter from somewhere above her. Strangely whatever it was seemed to be gone as she looked around wondering where the strange fellow might be.

Suddenly behind her she heard the clank of a heavy bar being slid over the door and spun to see Ulrich staring out the of a peephole intently. He was dressed the same as before, the same finely made though foppish outfit of a rich merchant. Missing was the floppy hat showing the bald pate of the Saxon blooded Cainite. His voice came low but just as excited as it had been earlier in the evening. Turning he began to quickly move his portly bulk to the back of the shop while beckoning her to follow as he cast worried glances toward the door.

"I see no one, but they must be there. We will have to make haste, my dear. They may have followed you and I have much to tell. Come quickly out the back we will lose them in the alleys."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn had to fight back any outward sign of disappointment. Ulrich had not calmed down. Despite a moment of trepidation when he first appeared, at least Ulrich still seemed mostly harmless. "Very well, but let us hope this does not take all night. I am a very busy person Ulrich." Hopefully she could at least control him to be a bit more productive. Still, it was not time to lose her patience just yet, so Lexwyn softened her words a bit. "I'm sure we two can handle whatever is following us anyway."

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

"Of course, of course. I would not waste your time any more than I would my own. Wasted time would allow them to further entrench against us and they must be stopped." He hurried quickly to the rear of the shop as he spoke and up a set of stairs giving her a glimpse of the neatly organized work area. They went up at least two flights before emerging onto a slick roof.

Ulrich locked the trap door on the roof and suddenly took off at a run for the edge of the building. His leap was anything but graceful however he easily landed on the next roof. This continued for another two buildings leaving Lexwyn utterly lost unused to the city as she was. Down a ladder the Madman went without so much as a word. Finally he crouched near a pile of refuse in the darkened alley and bade Lexwyn to come near.

His manic eyes shown clearly as he whispered softer than a mouse. "We are almost to one of my safe houses. There all will be revealed. You will see. Now remain quiet as we cross the street, I can hide us but it won't work if you make any sound."

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

This time a little snicker actually did make it out when Lexwyn saw the rotund man leap from building to building. Sure, it was something they could all do, but it still didn't make it look any less hilarious. She had to shake the image from her head before following him, being as light in her step as she could.

Lexwyn wrinkled her nose at Ulrich's choice of waypoint, but said nothing, only nodded. She was very tempted to ask why the shop wouldn't have just served adequately, but she believed Morgaina once said something about there was no arguing with Malks. If it was truely just across the street Lexwyn had no problem with playing along just a bit more.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ulrich seems oblivious to the foul odors of the trash pile before them as he looks around behind and in front of them carefully. Satisfied that they are indeed alone he reiterates quietly. "Not a sound."

He closes his eyes and seems to concentrate for a few seconds after which nothing seems to happen. He silently nods and carefully moves around the pile of rubbish toward the open street. He stops briefly and looks around before starting across the muddy road. Lexwyn still has no idea where she is though the busy street is somehow reassuring, though she may or may not be amazed that absolutely no one seems to notice them. They don't seem to be so much invisible as they seem to subconsciously ignore the two Cainites.

Once across the street they head a short way down another alley and Ulrich unlocks a door before ushering Lexwyn within. Following quickly the door is barred and locked before the Madman peers through another peep hole for a minute. Lexwyn finds herself in what seems to be a warehouse of sorts, the only light comes from a dim torch on the far wall casting strange shadows all about them.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn was careful to remain silent. Just because Malks were crazy did not mean they were not also skilled. This was a bit overkill, no doubt, but still trouble wasn't something to be started over just this. Thankfully the warehouse seemed like a secluded place to talk, but if Ulrich had yet another trapdoor or something to go to, she might just lose a bit of patience. "Well, I assume this is it." She half expected the man to jump, as it was, but a little hint that time was being wasted might speed things up a bit with his paranoia.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

The rotund apothecary jumped at Lexwyn's speaking as though he had been shot with a crossbow bolt. A look of terror spread quickly across his face as he brought his pale fingers to his mouth. Where he proceeded to chew on his nails for a few seconds before he suddenly began screaming with impotent rage at no one in particular. He fell on the floor and beat his pale arms against the dirt as he looked at her and wailed like a man possessed.

"We were so close. So close. So close. It was just up the stairs. I could have shown you pearls and stopped the Norman dogs. Too late now...No. Never too late. We must try."

Watching Ulrich break down so utterly at her speaking was in many ways almost comical. At least to her it was but as she watched and listened she realized how utterly horrifying it must be to live like this. A change seemed to be slowly working itself through Lexwyn's mind as well. She had been mildly interested in what the Malkavian might tell her. That feeling of mild interest seemed to suddenly fill her and inflamed to an utter and desperate curiosity. It was beyond any feeling or emotion she had ever felt. She needed to know. No. She would know what he was going to tell her, if it was the last thing she learned.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

Lexwyn almost growled a bit. Some things never changed, like not having much patience, and having less than she expected. "Oh come on. If there is any such threat, surely us two can handle it. I for one know I can handle myself, and I would like to think you can too, if you put your mind too it. Now please, keep moving!" She stopped just short of making herself out to be a threat as well, though that might shortly be the case if need be. One step before that, too, in that if he continued to throw a fit on the floor Lexwyn would "help" Ulrich back to his feet.

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Ulrich barely seems to notice that anyone is with him as he gibbers to himself about plots, rebellions, and most prominently them. He now seems completely incapable of providing any aid despite Lexwyn's now desperate hopes to know what the madman does.

He half drags and half walks towards the dimly lit steps. It seems like an eternity before he finally gets the heavy oaken door open and stumbles within to a small windowless den of sorts. Books and parchments are stacked high within the impeccably dust free room. Several family trees hang from the walls on elaborate tapestries firing Lexwyn's burgeoning curiosity into a flaming inferno of need.

Then the gibbering stops as the madman points towards the books and parchments before collapsing into a heap of unmoving flesh. Lexwyn slowly realizes during all this time that the Malkavian must have done something to her. Her sire had mentioned that the clan of the moon could incite madness in others. She could only hope that it was only temporary as the urge to search the gathered information was to great to resist but where to start she wondered as she looked at the great stacks.

Just in case it wasn't completely obvious by now Lexwyn has fallen prey to dementation, specifically Succubus Passion. In her case her curiosity was inflamed to an all-consuming peak. She can still think and function normally it's just her curiosity is practically eating her alive.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

"Damn it!" Lexwyn practically beat Ulrich's limp body with frustrating, but barely restrained herself to just a highly annoyed shriek. If Lexwyn was an outside observer rather than the girl losing her mind she'd probably notice the similarity to those bitchy ladies-in-waiting back at her father's court. As it was, mentioning that to Lexwyn would probably result in whoever did so finding themselves with several new openings to their internal organs.

Lexwyn stomped over to the books, frantically looking through them. There was probably way too much to actually find relevent info without Ulrich telling her where to look, but after a few seconds she controlled herself enough to at least look for a table of contents or something. At least some inkling of the overall purpose of these books *should* be readily apparent. If anything seemed important she could jump right to it, but there simply wasn't time to scan the whole collected works.

Yeah, I knew something was up. I was kind of trying to subtly ward off frenzy if that's the direction I was heading in ;)

OP
dmronny

dmronny

Lurker
Reputation score

Lexwyn tore through the first book as she struggled to control her curiosity. A journal of some sorts penned in a tiny but meticulous hand, a collection of names, none of which seemed important by themselves. She tore through a dozen more of these books each the same as the one before it. Her frustration grew as she now truly realized why the Malkavians were considered dangerous.

Finally after the first dozen or so books she came across something that seemed intriguing. At least to her it was, observations of the royal family of England, the people she sought to bring down a notch. This set of books seemed to hold every detail she could wish to know about the current rulers all the way back to the Battle of Hastings.

The same with the family trees along the wall they of the various ruling Norman families. Groups of books seemed to be assigned to every societal class, from noble to clergy even to peasant all Norman. The insanity it must have took to simply gather this information astounded her as she sat there surrounded by books compelled to read more and more.

I had actually already rolled for frenzy when you first mentioned Lexwyn being annoyed a few posts ago. I don't usually mention things unless you actually failed a roll though. Especially since it's mostly free form style.

OAMP

Turtle Poker
Reputation score

With partial satiation of her curiosity Lexwyn tried to relax a bit. Yes, this was info she would need. She also needed someplace she could analyze all of the information. The sheer volume meant time would be needed... probably a lot of time.

"Ulrich, wake up you.... we have much work to do, and I require your assistance." Lexwyn found the strength to avoid calling him a fat, lardy buffoon like she was originally going to. Grabbing ahold of him she shook rather violently, but not too much. She really did need him if this was going to work, so best not to sour the relationship even more if she could help it. Besides, such language was unbecoming of a true lady.

Heh, well coaching patience is something I'm good at, though Lexwyn was certainly near the end of her rope there for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.