What's new

riddles and trick questions

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score
Because i am doing a writing a new dungeons and dragons campeign, ive been researching riddles and ttick questions because i like making players think or be dovoured by an unbeatable demon. Relationships to sphinxes are coincidental.

My current favourite is:
one night, a king and queen where riding through a forest. they find a page lying by the wayside that takes them to a keep. they stay till dawn and when they all leave how many pairs of feet walked away from that keep?

Last edited:

IronAnt

Demon Girl Master
Reputation score
Re: riddles and trick questions

Uh... Well if they were riding when they left the keep then wouldn't it be 0? Because feet, not hooves.

Wait, what if hooves did count? Then wouldn't it be 2? The king and queen on the horse but a horse has two pairs of legs and thus two pairs of "hooves" or two pairs of "feet"

This is assuming that the king and queen weren't both on a single horse though. What if they both had their own horse? Then it'd be 4.

Did the page go with them from the keep? Did he walk? Did he share a horse? Did he get his own? Depending on THAT it could be up to 5 or 6.

Ow. My brain.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

don't forget the knight

Lurker
Reputation score

don't forget the knight
There is no knight.

one night, a king and queen where riding through a forest. they find a page lying by the wayside that takes them to a keep. they stay till dawn and when they leave how many pairs of feet walked away from that keep?
Probably works better out loud.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

The knight is of course also ridding a horse, which have no feet so the page is the only person who walked away on foot. the answer is 1

Hentaispider

Lord of the Tap Dance \oO.Oo/ (And Reputation Mana
Staff member
Administrator
Reputation score

The knight is of course also ridding a horse, which have no feet so the page is the only person who walked away on foot. the answer is 1
There's no mention of the knight OR the page leaving. "They" could very well be referring only to the king and the queen, with or without horses.

Paladox

Tentacle God
Reputation score

None. The page led them to a keep. The page is just a note with directions and not an actual person.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

You poor poor simpleton... you would get eaten by the demon every time. look up what a page is.

Host

Lurker
Reputation score

Because i am doing a writing a new dungeons and dragons campeign, ive been researching riddles and ttick questions because i like making players think or be dovoured by an unbeatable demon.
nunu

nunu hav yu been drinking

You poor poor simpleton... you would get eaten by the demon every time. look up what a page is.
The spelling and pronunciation are the same, he does have a point. It's a better way to complicate the riddle than 'one night', since readers would assume it's the person, given the period-terms used in the rest of the sentence.

OP
Nunu

Nunu

Despot
Former Admin
Reputation score

Im writing on my phone.

If anyone has improvements to the riddle or ones of their own please share

Copper

Lurker
Reputation score

Two guards are stationed in front of a garrison, each watching the end of the road to the horizon. The one says to the other, "Why are you smiling?" How did he know?

They're facing each other and watching the road in their respective directions.

It's simple, but one I've always enjoyed..

Also, "My head more high than any cloud. My roots more deep than any tree. My size more great than any beast. I stand proud for all to see. Who am I?"

Alternately, "What am I?" But the answer is a mountain.

Last edited:

maikochan

User #69
Reputation score

Simple one that I found in an AIF game. Stumped me until I looked it up.

Twelve, six, three, five. What comes next in the sequence?

Four. The number of letters in the word that came before. Incidentally, once you hit four, that answer repeats infinitely. Could do it with any sequence of numbers really, as long as you avoid four.

Sinfulwolf

H-Section Moderator
H-Section Moderator
Reputation score

None. The page led them to a keep. The page is just a note with directions and not an actual person.
In the time period, Page was indeed a person. It's a title, precedes Squire.