What's new

Running RPG Maker games on Mac with CrossOver

Reputation score
I've heard good things about using CrossOver ( ) to run Windows applications on a Mac. I've tried using the free trial to install and run Monster Girl Encyclopedia RPG (RPG Maker VX Ace?), (RPG Maker MV) and Demon in Wonderland (RPG Maker MZ). These games install but then fail to run. In MGE RPG's case, I get a message that "RPGVXAce RTP is needed to run this game", which I also get with other software I've tried to run it (e.g. Porting Kit). For the other games, I get the message "Bad EXE format for".

One possible cause is that for unlisted apps (which all of these are) CrossOver asks me to choose an installer file or installer folder. As far as I remember, I got these games onto my computer by just unzipping the files I downloaded, no installation required. I've been choosing the games' .exe files, which might be wrong. If this is the case, anyone know what should be chosen?

JustLurksHere

Jungle Girl
Reputation score
Well, I can't tell anything about CrossOver on Mac, but I can about wine on Linux.

For most of the cases, ruby makers and Wolf RPG Ediror games run fine. The short list of exceptions are games that are being killed due to virtual mapping space shortage (winegstreamer is quite bad at it occasionally). If the game needs its RTP installed on Windows, so does it in wine - it's a regkey check for a path and - obviously - RTP files need to be at that path.

As for nw maker games, native nw usually works pretty well (after unpacking the game, if necessary) - if it leaks, it's usually game's fault. Though you need to watch for filesystem case-sensitivity issues (besides just adding symlinks as you go, there are some ways around that).

OP
Green Thoughts
Reputation score
Thanks for the response. In the end, I gave up on CrossOver and decided to just reboot my Mac as a Windows using Boot Camp. While moving my files over took a while, it's instantly given me full compatibility for all Windows games, and it's not like I was using any Mac-specific software.